Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

alright added a room for the helve hammer id say its pretty much complete

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Hihohe posted:

alright added a room for the helve hammer id say its pretty much complete

Until you start making steel :getin:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

I think i remember finding some bauxite somewhere in my travels and quartz has always been plentiful, so i think i have all the materials for the refractory bricks

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

You guys should post your mill set ups.
Windmills are cool

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Hihohe posted:

Windmills are cool

Shade Fell
Jun 1, 2000

Goreld posted:

Seems stable so far except that the worldgen seems to be changing some and being tweaked every version, so each time I’ve made a new world and seen some improvement. Still, for the last few versions I’ve had a suspiciously hard time finding copper surface deposits. Don’t know if that’s just bad luck on my part though.

I've found three different spots on our map with nice surface deposits of copper. I haven't been back to check them out because I lost all those bits of copper when attacked by wolves. Then I was attacked by wolves again when I tried to retrieve the copper. Then I went back AGAIN and the wolves knocked me into a hole that was also full of wolves.

I marked the spots on my map, though, and shared the coordinates with other people I'm playing with.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

hope you didn't spoil it and tell em about the wolves

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

1.18 Stable just released.

It calls to you…. Return again.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Is anyone running a dedicated server? We're pondering on whether to rent one again for a month or so or run a dedicated one but no idea how taxing it is for a laptop.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

TeaJay posted:

Is anyone running a dedicated server? We're pondering on whether to rent one again for a month or so or run a dedicated one but no idea how taxing it is for a laptop.

I ran one before for me and a friend and what’s nice is that they’re supremely cheap.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
FYI, looks like max enclosed room size got changed at some point in the last couple years to be 15x15x15 internal. I'm assuming height has the same limits as length / width, only tested up to 3 tall internal volume.

Learned 2 more things while testing this out:

1) maybe surprisingly, trapdoors in a vertical position still count for enclosure, so looks like they make good lowtech windows, just like in Minecraft.
2) thatch roofs seem to sometimes work sometimes not. Haven't nailed it down yet, but I recommend layering a solid block beneath them.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 20, 2023

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Can you somehow edit multiplayer spawns so that everyone would not start at the same point and rather all over the world? Would save a bit of hassle to everyone just running some distance not to spend the same resources.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

metasynthetic posted:

FYI, looks like max enclosed room size got changed at some point in the last couple years to be 15x15x15 internal. I'm assuming height has the same limits as length / width, only tested up to 3 tall internal volume.

Learned 2 more things while testing this out:

1) maybe surprisingly, trapdoors in a vertical position still count for enclosure, so looks like they make good lowtech windows, just like in Minecraft.
2) thatch roofs seem to sometimes work sometimes not. Haven't nailed it down yet, but I recommend layering a solid block beneath them.

Yeah, thatch roofs need a solid block under them to count.

Neat that the room sizes got bigger.

From the wiki:
  • the room needs to be completely closed of by solid block faces, meaning all the walls need to be complete, without any holes created by slabs or stairs - however, if the full faces of slabs or stairs are located to the inside of the room, they will count.
  • unfortunately, slanted roof blocks do not count towards an enclosed room and will need full blocks below them to fill the space
  • the room can be a maximum size of 14x14x14, or specifically, any point of the room needs to be 14 Manhattan distance away from the rooms walls, counting from and including the starting point - with this counting system, diagonals count as 2 blocks

LLSix fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 20, 2023

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

TeaJay posted:

Can you somehow edit multiplayer spawns so that everyone would not start at the same point and rather all over the world? Would save a bit of hassle to everyone just running some distance not to spend the same resources.

Not a mod but there's a world setting you can set that randomizes respawn location x blocks from world spawn, and it can go crazy big, so you just have everyone commit ritual suicide and then they're all spaced out nicely. This does have the issue of if someone dies before setting a spawnpoint, a non-trivial task, they can end up an hour or more of real-time distance away from their poo poo if you set it too high.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

LLSix posted:

Yeah, thatch roofs need a solid block under them to count.

As someone who likes to make smaller, compact homes, I was really hoping they’d change that at some point.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Hihohe posted:

Windmills are cool

It's not pretty.

I started a new game with one of the 0.18.0 release candidates.

I am still growing my new home, but redwood takes ages to grow, so it's all a mess. Eventually the entire windmill is going to move to the tree tops, and the shaft will go downwards between two redwood trees into a tree house with all the machinery in it.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

LLSix posted:

[*]the room can be a maximum size of 14x14x14, or specifically, any point of the room needs to be 14 Manhattan distance away from the rooms walls

Yeah this line on the wiki got me suspicious, because its contradictory in itself. I checked the edits and saw that someone only edited 7^3 to 14^3 without updating the rest. So I decided to test out various things for myself.

I think I figured out the issue with thatch roofs: the *bottom* face (on a basic 1 sided sloped roof piece) does count for enclosure, but the vertical back side of the piece does not. Maybe because the vertical surface doesn't cover the full square meter on the side? At any rate, could be useful on some builds, it means the bottom-most layer of roof tiles doesn't need support below, just behind.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Thatch roofs aren't good for insulation, you say? :v:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

TeaJay posted:

What I've seen in the server I'm in is that they use a teleporter block (different from a translocator, found in the creative mode menu) that's set to throw you to a random location, though I'm not sure how to program it for that. So you join the server, arrive at the world spawn, get your bearings, maybe get eaten by a wolf or two, then hop in the teleporter and start doing your thing.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Jawnycat posted:

Not a mod but there's a world setting you can set that randomizes respawn location x blocks from world spawn, and it can go crazy big, so you just have everyone commit ritual suicide and then they're all spaced out nicely. This does have the issue of if someone dies before setting a spawnpoint, a non-trivial task, they can end up an hour or more of real-time distance away from their poo poo if you set it too high.

Yeah, I noticed, but we simply could not get that one to work, no matter what we put there we kept spawning in the zero point. In the end we just agreed to each go our own way from the spawn (and each got a gear to set up a new spawn).

Game is generally harder now because we activated soil making a landslide similar to sand as well. So no mud hovels (packed dirt is fine) or digging your way through some hills - which does suck since my location is mostly very hilly.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Side instability dirt is the true New Game Plus for Vintage Story.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

It was mostly due to us making a lot of QoL changes from our first run, such as turning off rifts and temporal storms (although this didn't stop drifters from spawning outside my wood hovel even with edited light level settings) and using some mods like animal cages and carry on. Got killed by so many times by a ram just trying to get it inside my pen...

But yeah it was mostly to offset the game balance a bit since we made it more comfortable now.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Did animal cages work for you? I couldn't figure out how to trap animals with it and eventually gave up since my pit traps/barns caught the animals I needed eventually.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I haven't been able to use it yet, still in the phase of looking for surface copper... we put it back to rare after uncommon last time and we really feel it, it's REALLY slow to get the amount needed to make the pickaxe and hammer to go forward. Been all over looking for it but still missing some.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Panning sand/gravel is not too bad a way to get some copper, especially if you're stuck inside or near home for whatever reason.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Panning has the added bonus of the chance of getting you rusty or temporal gears. Bad enough luck with nuggets might still net you the gears to buy a pick from a trader.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

It’s not enough to have a pick though, you need a hammer to crush the nuggets apart too.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
That was my first world, rich with chunks, panning for enough nuggets to make my first hammer. It does seem quicker to pan than continue trawling for new surface deposits. I wish I could just drop the chunks off a mountain to break them.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
In my new 1.18 world, I don't know if I just got lucky or what, but there is an absolutely enormous shitload of native copper surface deposits near my base. Like, dozens probably within a 500m radius. I got lucky with caves leading to coal and iron ore too, so I got my first iron tools online in early summer. Definitely faster than in my first world, which had very little surface copper nearby and it took me until the end of summer I think to get my first copper pick, mostly from panning.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Are most of you playing solo?

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I am. I'd like to play in MP / on a server, but none of my usual crew are interested in this one, and I'm a little reluctant to hop on random public servers.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I would love some kind of multiplayer experience but the idea I have in my head would have to be so carefully curated I might as well tell people how to play the game. (Or something where it’s just me and buds that only play all at the same times.)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm playing on a dedicated server with my regular gaming group, we love all kinds of (early access) survival crafting games. We want to be a bit separate from each other just to allow a good amount of resources for everyone but also that we can group up if we want to eventually fight some baddies in caves (or do the new lore world event, what ever that is??).

Last time we had a sky bridge connecting some of our bases but now with sliding mud you can't cut through mountains anymore (and it was a hell of a lot of work lol) so we opted for a teleporting network mod, just gotta get gears to activate more waystations, to ease connecting to each other if we feel like it. I as a dumb didn't even think about starting a base near one such location like others, so I'm mostly cut off, so I might still opt for a sky bridge if you can still make floating speed path blocks (or packed dirt) to the nearest teleport.

So that was a bit of blunder from me and I my location is surrounded by really annoying mountain ranges. And I only now found enough surface copper to make necessary hammer. But at least I found a cave filled with coal right next to my base, so I'm set on that front.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 22, 2023

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Wanted to share my first house (other than my initial 4x4 mudhut). I took extra care to make sure it fit the requirements as being "inside" for extra warmth, figuring I didn't need much more than that anyway. The interior is fairly spartan but just pleasant enough that I don't hate spending time in it!

This house still looks very nice. Been trying something similar, what are the dimensions of the inside area? Also, what material did you use for the fireplace, it looks a lot more sleek than just cobblestone?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

TeaJay posted:

This house still looks very nice. Been trying something similar, what are the dimensions of the inside area? Also, what material did you use for the fireplace, it looks a lot more sleek than just cobblestone?

I made it no larger than 7x7x7, but apparently you can go larger than this now. I don’t have the save anymore but I’m almost certain that it was just cobble. It may have been slate?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Looks like basalt cobblestone (plus slabs) to me. Slate's a kind of brownish-black that chiselers really like because its solid rock texture can pass for wrought iron, so it's great for decorations. Obsidian's a really intense dark purple-black (not even sure if it has a cobble version?) and shale's the lovely dark grey that everybody hates.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

SexyBlindfold posted:

Looks like basalt cobblestone (plus slabs) to me. Slate's a kind of brownish-black that chiselers really like because its solid rock texture can pass for wrought iron, so it's great for decorations. Obsidian's a really intense dark purple-black (not even sure if it has a cobble version?) and shale's the lovely dark grey that everybody hates.

You’re right. I forgot about basalt and I remember that was frequent there.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for the tips! I will probably build a bit larger but I liked the design since I want to keep it nice and compact. Will have to search for a nice dark material for the fireplace and figure out how to place slabs without them jutting out and connecting to square pieces properly (which is sometimes a real nightmare). Guess I could always chisel to balance it out.

One thing I would like to try this time is to build the food cellar actually under the house to avoid running around for cooking and to make it ... "realistic" ? So I'm guessing it could work with door which opens up to a ladder downstairs, since actual stairs take up so much space. (although you said your house also has stairs downstairs)

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 23, 2023

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
A few pics of my original cabin during my first winter this run. Working on a bigger, better shelter just offscreen that isn't done yet. Playing with several mods that add things reasonably close to vanilla balance, like drying meat hooks and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I have never figured out how to properly orient those wooden blocks. Makes my logblock cabin look ridiculous.