Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Since shrines were supposed to be mini-dungeons, this kinda makes me feel like you’ll at least partially get your wish here, with the caves being seamless mini-dungeons in TotK. I certainly hope so!

I am also hoping that between the sky islands and the caves, we get the equivalent of shrines without loading screens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Gwely Mernans posted:

Anyone else holding out hope that we go to the moon a la Majora's Mask in a really trippy final level/secret area?

I'd love to see an appearance from the skullkid.

Speaking of skulls, a couple skulltula houses would be amazing as well.

The shot in the last trailer of Demise (I’m telling you, it’s him) looking out over a gigantic Blood Moon certainly made me a lot more inclined to believe this or something similar could happen

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's great, rolling around and doing tricks around a giant neon monster adds a whole new feel to the fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmDoZ0dRqKg&t=92s

This is rad, I’m trying this when I get home tonight

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

based on the trailer my guess is that TotK will have proper full-sized dungeons but they will be integrated more smoothly into the open world (like Hyrule Castle in the first game)

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
My greatest BotW shame is that I only went there at the very end when I was super OP, and I was just sorta ready for the game to be done, so I beelined to Ganon

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Augus posted:

based on the trailer my guess is that TotK will have proper full-sized dungeons but they will be integrated more smoothly into the open world (like Hyrule Castle in the first game)

that sounds like the case and I'm hype for it

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's going to be cool when none of the music from the recent TotK trailer is actually in TotK, and instead 80% of the soundtrack is just the BotW soundtrack, with the other 20% being new beeps and boops*.

* this is just a joke, BotW has some of the best sound direction of any game I've ever played (though I'd still like for there to be more music like the trailer music in the game itself)

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'd like if I had more things to spend essence on like defense or something? It feels weird tooling around in BoTW and knowing that the difference between 10 hearts or 5 is actually pretty minimal protection compared to having big armor in the first place and thats all just grind.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Caidin posted:

I'd like if I had more things to spend essence on like defense or something? It feels weird tooling around in BoTW and knowing that the difference between 10 hearts or 5 is actually pretty minimal protection compared to having big armor in the first place and thats all just grind.

TotK will remove stamina and replace it with charisma. Everyone will only be in love with Link if you invest heavily in your charisma. Otherwise they will all be disgusted.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Ytlaya posted:

It's going to be cool when none of the music from the recent TotK trailer is actually in TotK, and instead 80% of the soundtrack is just the BotW soundtrack, with the other 20% being new beeps and boops*.

* this is just a joke, BotW has some of the best sound direction of any game I've ever played (though I'd still like for there to be more music like the trailer music in the game itself)

Based off what we've seen, we're likely getting BotW music on the ground and new music in the sky (and probably in the caves).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

Based off what we've seen, we're likely getting BotW music on the ground and new music in the sky (and probably in the caves).

Cave music better be a modernized version of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdnTvgK2o5I

(somehow I had never realized that this track was literally the same 11 seconds on repeat)

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

would be cool to have dungeons with more than one entrance. that’s one feeling I always loved from minecraft or dark souls—oh, this is part of THAT?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Frankston posted:

Three weeks to go holy poo poo

In that case, please excuse me while I count them!

And a oooone!
And a twooooo!
And a threeeeee!

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I’m really hoping Aonuma just like, turned off overworld tracks for the gameplay video or something, because the BOTW minimalist sound direction worked great for a post-apocalyptic setting but now we’re in a mid-apocalyptic setting that’s begging for some bangers as we traverse the world

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I liked the water temple more than the forest temple.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Mustached Demon posted:

I liked the water temple more than the forest temple.

Forest temple's vibes are much much better but the puzzles are a little worse

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI3rO3PbYOo

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

sigher posted:

All the loving time, I used to adventure in the crawlspace underneath one of the houses I lived in as a kid even though my mom hated it, but those were my Zelda Dungeons.

I did that a lot until I found my the body of cat and her litter of kittens under there and it hosed me up royally because some piece of poo poo intentionally poisoned them. :smith:

We always joked about finding a dead body and getting caught up in a mystery or something but instead just the occasional rotting dead animal and you just bail because yucky

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Augus posted:

They could make them just so/so and this would push them into greatness for me anyway.

Tayter Swift posted:

In that case, please excuse me while I count them!

And a oooone!
And a twooooo!
And a threeeeee!
<Crunch> A-three.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

The Maroon Hawk posted:

This is rad, I’m trying this when I get home tonight

I just did it and it ruled. For kicks, I thought I'd see if I could use the bike in the Calamity fight too. The answer may surprise you! You can't. :negative:

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Khanstant posted:

We always joked about finding a dead body and getting caught up in a mystery or something but instead just the occasional rotting dead animal and you just bail because yucky

lol there was a small scandal in my town a few years ago because a man was discovered living in the crawlspace of someone's house. The kids found them while going on an adventure like this

the scandal part was that the crawlspace guy was the "landlord" of the people who lived in the house, though it turned out he was illegally subletting the place while living in the crawlspace for free. what a lifehack!

to my knowledge there has been no Zelda dungeons based on this story... until TotK, that is.......

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Legend of Zelda: Tears of Real Estate

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Khanstant posted:

Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Krawlspace

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Ganondorf living rent free in your head under Hyrule the whole time

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Captain Hygiene posted:

I don't like the horses in this game at all, I also ignore them most of the time. The master cycle is way better, and looks rad as hell bringing it into the final boss fight.
master cycle is more fun to do fun trick jumps and poo poo with but also it's terrible for combat or admiring the scenery. horses avoid obstacles by themselves, which is helpful when you are trying to aim a bow!
edit:

Caidin posted:

yeah, for all that i like fun outfits, the fact that good armor is the difference between an attack doing 8 hearts of damage or 2 hearts of damage is a little bit annoying. specifically because upgrading the armor, is annoying. Not just the "each armor piece upgrade needs its own animation with the great fairy, gently caress you" part, or the resources being annoying to get, but stuff like the beauty and majesty of the spiritual dragons being undermined by the fact that the game won't let you fully upgrade your armor unless you camp in front of its house and shoot it in the face 20 times.

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 22, 2023

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Some of the bigger sky islands, or collections of sky islands, probably function like dungeons. Even setting aside the bits we’ve seen of Link fighting alongside companions, for instance, in the background of some trailer shots we’ve seen a place where there’s a stack of sky islands on top of one another. You can probably get to the first one via another island, then you have to do some kind of puzzle or fight on each level to unlock a way to get up to the next one. Put a boss on the top of the stack and that’s a dungeon.

That makes me wonder though when Link is going to get that glider we’ve seen him riding. Would that make it easy to pop up to whatever sky island you want? I’d been figuring that getting to each cluster of islands is meant to be an exploration challenge but maybe you can just fly there starting from whenever you get that glider.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
TloZ Castle of Leaves

Whole game in one megadungeon that never ends and you finally don't play Link, you actually play as a red potion addict in a grungry apartment merely reading the actual Legend of Zelda as written by deranged King of Red Lions

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Blaziken386 posted:

yeah, for all that i like fun outfits, the fact that good armor is the difference between an attack doing 8 hearts of damage or 2 hearts of damage is a little bit annoying. specifically because upgrading the armor, is annoying. Not just the "each armor piece upgrade needs its own animation with the great fairy, gently caress you" part, or the resources being annoying to get, but stuff like the beauty and majesty of the spiritual dragons being undermined by the fact that the game won't let you fully upgrade your armor unless you camp in front of its house and shoot it in the face 20 times.

The excitement of the Star Pieces replaced by learning how they spawn because you need like 40 of them to upgrade Amiibo armor and cycling standing around on Dueling Peaks all night until one drops.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Pirate Radar posted:

That makes me wonder though when Link is going to get that glider we’ve seen him riding. Would that make it easy to pop up to whatever sky island you want? I’d been figuring that getting to each cluster of islands is meant to be an exploration challenge but maybe you can just fly there starting from whenever you get that glider.

The glider is probably something you'll only get after exploring a lot, just because it doesn't look cobbled together like the other flying machines they've shown.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'll be using the cheat code to get all items from the start

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Horses in BotW are good, I like how they stop automatically when there's an obstacle and how they get scared at lightning. Obviously you should be able to collect materials on horseback, but the bigger issue is that they designed this world around climbing, not horseback riding, so when you start a journey on horseback there will almost certainly come a point when you have to get off
i actually think the opposite of this. most of the world in botw, to me, feels like it was designed without unlimited climbing in mind, and that mechanic came later in development when the world was mostly finished. there's roads everywhere in hyrule so you can get almost literally anywhere on a horse (did you know you can ride a horse up the sanctum in hyrule castle???) 90% of the interesting landmarks and incidental NPCs are placed along them to the point that a lot of players miss cool stuff because the game really doesn't do a great job of inclining you to follow roads with its mechanics. meanwhile most hilltops/other high spots usually have either literally nothing, some materials, an opal in a chest, or one korok.

this is one part where i'm quite sure totk will really improve the world design because not only are they now building on top of a previous world and can just add stuff to spots where it feels like something cool should've been but wasn't, you're regularly diving towards the ground from really high so the highest spots will be the first thing you see when coming down, and they've definitely taken that into account when redesigning the world.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Kassad posted:

The glider is probably something you'll only get after exploring a lot, just because it doesn't look cobbled together like the other flying machines they've shown.

What if that's like a fixed path thing you can ride on but not control, it just does tours from island to island like a flying carpet kinda thing

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Yeah, I agree that they definitely intended a horse-first world. It was literally the very first thing we ever saw of BotW after all! It's meant to be a Big Deal you can't bring a horse into Gerudo and other extreme climes, and they went to enormous pains to ensure that NPC density, sight lines, shrine markers, etc. all follow a precise flow from the roads.

I think they always intended climbing and gliding to be important, but I also think they expected roads to be anchors that players would peel off from, explore, and then return to

but yeah, everything we're seeing from TotK is one big "oh, so that's how you want to play BotW? ok, we'll design accordingly", which is really exciting

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i already feel bad for the horses in TotK lol. you think people neglected to use horses in BotW, you ain't seen nothing yet!

i'm almost hoping they'll find some way to not make horseback the obviously least efficient form of travel in TotK but i'm really not holding my breath. you probably can't even use the poor things in the underground areas either, and you definitely can't bring them to the sky islands, so where would you ever want one?? all signs point to them only existing in the game because the system was already ready, so why remove it even if it's a bit vestigial.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I never actually rode a horse at all in BOTW, I just walked/ran everywhere, I just found it easier than having to navigate around rocks or enemies ontop of a stupid skittish horse.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

WarpDogs posted:

lmao wtf, even if it doesn't hurt them (and I recognize that they are, in fact, not real) I could never do that

just sneak up on them and bash Soothe like it's a Mario Party minigame. Every press is counted, even if it doesn't play a sound or animation

The Ganondorf horse has the highest to-catch stamina (30 presses) and he can be grabbed with just one Stamina upgrade, everything else can be done from the start

brother, I am so convinced this is going to happen I'd bet money on it if I could

Hylian Society for the Protection of Animals is going to be on my rear end if they ever catch up with me. I catch pigs on Wind Waker by chasing them into the sea and picking them up once they start floating too...

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Amppelix posted:

i already feel bad for the horses in TotK lol. you think people neglected to use horses in BotW, you ain't seen nothing yet!

i'm almost hoping they'll find some way to not make horseback the obviously least efficient form of travel in TotK but i'm really not holding my breath. you probably can't even use the poor things in the underground areas either, and you definitely can't bring them to the sky islands, so where would you ever want one?? all signs point to them only existing in the game because the system was already ready, so why remove it even if it's a bit vestigial.

Attach fans to the horse so it can fly (and/or go faster)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
We already know one new use of horses: pulling carts. Unless maybe you can use a car for that too

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Loftwings in TotK confirmed.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So other than what has been shown any other classic Zelda monsters do you guys either want to show up or predict to show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Definitely wanna see some Danknuts and run the other way.

Maybe some Poes. A Wallmaster might freak me out.