Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Stereotype posted:

it would be cool if i didn't have to work honestly

youre a scientist and live in a volcano

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Xaris posted:

hell yeah. and yeah that can be right for public hiring. mine was about 2 months. there's a lot of paperwork and approval processes for hiring in public agencies. usually needs some forms, then written statement of interview rankings and decision making to prove there's no discrimination or biases in hiring, then forms to go to manger, then that goes to director, then that can go to general manager, then back to hr for processing, then back to hiring manager for getting the applicant notified, etc

sometimes by the time they do all that the person may have got something else and then they need to go to the next ranked applicant and process begins again. if they're making a roster and hiring off that it could take longer waiting for an open position, etc

do you still work theater?

wow thats good insight. thnx

yes im still @ the theatre. trying to exit this indrusty however. also have 2 more yrs of school. maybe more. we will c

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Xaris posted:

hell yeah. and yeah that can be right for public hiring. mine was about 2 months. there's a lot of paperwork and approval processes for hiring in public agencies. usually needs some forms, then written statement of interview rankings and decision making to prove there's no discrimination or biases in hiring, then forms to go to manger, then that goes to director, then that can go to general manager, then back to hr for processing, then back to hiring manager for getting the applicant notified, etc

sometimes by the time they do all that the person may have got something else and then they need to go to the next ranked applicant and process begins again. if they're making a roster and hiring off that it could take longer waiting for an open position, etc

do you still work theater?

everywhere is taking their jolly rear end time because they don't really wanna hire anyone unless they get a perfect candidate. one place has been taking two months despite barely any steps happening and i kinda just told the recruiter in kind words to gently caress off and reach out if they ever get their poo poo in order with their inane hiring process

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Smythe posted:

the great city of los angeles is hiring a lot of ppl. they interviewed me even. someone told me ic an take between 6 weeks and 6 months to hear back?? seems crazy. but whatever.

Welcome to the LAPD.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Smythe posted:

youre a scientist and live in a volcano

yeah but i could be even cooler: unemployed

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Stereotype posted:

yeah but i could be even cooler: unemployed

you could be cooler if you just uh left the volcano

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

JamesKPolk posted:

fent ends up in oxies, heroin, etc (things that are mostly similar, higher strength opiates/oids and sometimes fake xanax cause there's so much cross abuse) because it's cheaper than the real thing, which is typically a factor of easier to smuggle. some examples of this are e.g. the PBA head from Arizona? getting busted running an importation ring, but it's also like the proliferation of 3d printers and files that mimic actual xanax, oxycontin, etc pills down to the numbers that are on them to verify (which is how you get fake pills that look like the real ones - this has always been possible but recently it got significantly easier, especially the trade dress/ID number stuff).

fent ends up in 'ketamine', 'speed', 'flakka', etc because these are drugs that are also easy to fake using imported not-yet-banned chemicals, and they use the same supply chains as fent. if you're already importing the fent why not get some 3-meo-pcp or diphenidine and sell it as k? same for the novel amphetamines and benzos (which also contributes to the fake xanax problem). more customers and similar risk level. but be careful when you clean your scales...

fent ends up in cocaine because a lot of times coke dealers aren't just coke dealers and you really only need like grains of sand level cleanliness fuckups to contaminate. maybe this happens at the street level, but also at the import level. the paths these things are taking are similar, especially after spring 2020. there's also speculation that spiking a pack w/ fent is drug dealers up/down the chain trying to cause problems for one another. idk about this but it helps explains sorta the clusters of fent ods from coke which are fuckin weird.

fent at one point ended up in a gas station cbd vape in mississippi I think? which is a head scratcher. until you realize those companies are all just importing novel cannabinoids (synthed in the same places that do novel opioids) and a scale wipe woopsy has down-road effects

there were reports of a fent-contaminated batch of mushrooms at electric forest last year? which afaik is still stumping everyone. that to me feels like a psyop or a spill or some mass hysteria poo poo. except it was reported by one of the best festival-side harm reduction groups in the country w/ caveats etc. so idk.

Mirthless rises from the swamp

Well actually

E: but seriously great post.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
dont remember if this was posted earlier but lyft announced theyt're cutting 30% of their workforce today. that's pretty loving big

quote:

Lyft to cut 1,200 jobs in latest layoffs under new CEO

SAN FRANCISCO (KRON) — Lyft plans to cut 1,200 jobs in the latest round of layoffs for the San Francisco-based ride-share accompany, the Associate Press confirmed Friday. The news was first reported earlier in the day by the Wall Street Journal. The cuts represent a significant reduction of Lyft’s workforce. The company currently employs around 4,000 people, so the cuts represent about 30% of its workforce.

The news comes just days after new CEO David Risher began steering the ride-hailing service with a eye of driving down costs to help bring its fares more in line with its biggest rival, Uber.

Risher, a former Amazon executive, informed Lyft’s workforce of more than 4,000 employees in an email posted online Friday that a “significant” number of them will lose their jobs. It came at end of his first week as Lyft’s CEO.

The note didn’t specify how many people would be jettisoned, but The Wall Street Journal reported that at least 1,200 employees will be laid off. The report cited unidentified people familiar with the cost-cutting plans.

Lyft does not count its drivers among its employees.

Lyft’s most recent round of layoffs occurred in November of last year when the company let go about 13% of its workforce. The company also laid off about 60 employees last summer.

According to the WSJ, the latest round of cuts could help the company reduce its operating expenses by half. The reported layoffs are the latest in a series of tech layoffs that have seen companies like Google, Salesforce and Meta all cut jobs in recent months.

Earlier this week, Buzzfeed also announced it would be shutting down its digital news platform, Buzzfeed News.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Xaris posted:

dont remember if this was posted earlier but lyft announced theyt're cutting 30% of their workforce today. that's pretty loving big

Yeah that's approaching the "maybe we should panic" level of deep cuts

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

uh…I can’t think of any job where if I went in tomorrow and 1 out of every 3 people no longer worked there things would be okay……

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

i am harry posted:

uh…I can’t think of any job where if I went in tomorrow and 1 out of every 3 people no longer worked there things would be okay……
yeah lol that's insane

i think the VC unicorn-turned-IPO gig economy poo poo is on the way out now that debt isn't free. lyft, instacart, and maybe uber seems to be doing quite bad

lmfao the lyft stock is pure bag holders rubes. $80 IPO down to $15.

e: uber isn't down from IPO price that much but still down. lol at everyone who got in on that poo poo getting burned

Xaris has issued a correction as of 05:33 on Apr 22, 2023

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

skooma512 posted:

I'm sure this is true, but aren't the most successful influencers typically already from rich families?

Like I obviously avoid these types of accounts but much of their content seems to be "look at all this wealthy people poo poo"

A lot of them are rich and even more are playing rich because it's the only way they have any shot with the algorithm. There are whole companies that lease out rich people poo poo to influencers so they can do videos in mansions or with expensive cars in the background or whatever.

It's also the typical long tail that comes with any kind of social media content. The vast majority aren't making anything and are essentially paying a ton of money to produce content to fill out platforms like TikTok or IG in the hopes that they'll land that those sweet, sweet sponsorships.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Smythe posted:

the great city of los angeles is hiring a lot of ppl. they interviewed me even. someone told me ic an take between 6 weeks and 6 months to hear back?? seems crazy. but whatever.

almost every level of government in california absolutely hemorrhaged employees due to covid but especially the state. tons of 25 year employees with 60% pensions just noped out when everything went remote. but yeah the hiring process is really bad, it took me 4 months from 'offer' to start and that was a lot faster than most

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
lyft should have never got rid of the giant pink furry mustaches. smdh, bad business call.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
lyft or uber actually collapsing would definitely be one of the doomsday signals imo

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Ammanas posted:

almost every level of government in california absolutely hemorrhaged employees due to covid but especially the state. tons of 25 year employees with 60% pensions just noped out when everything went remote. but yeah the hiring process is really bad, it took me 4 months from 'offer' to start and that was a lot faster than most
correct. there's so many good union+pensioned public agency job openings right now in ca

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Paradoxish posted:

lyft or uber actually collapsing would definitely be one of the doomsday signals imo

they've always had a death timer on them because they inherently can't be profitable and was backed up purely by rube investor hype and promising of self-driving car nonsense and stuff. so they're death was already baked in

i think lyft is genuinely on the way out, possibly end of the year. i don't see too many lyft cars anymore when there used to be tons and it's mostly uber now. driving already pays sub-minimum wage too and there's still more drivers than users. plus excising 30% of the workforce is insane.

the main reason all this gig vc web 3.0 poo poo has lasted so long because debt was effectively free and could just keep suckling the fed's teats for infinite money. they were otherwise zombie corps

Xaris has issued a correction as of 05:47 on Apr 22, 2023

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Smythe posted:

Yes that is typical of government hiring here. The state is my employer ultimately and I got on real quick because it was Mar 2020 and they wanted bodies, but most everyone else is 6-12 months for the whole process.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

skooma512 posted:

Yes that is typical of government hiring here. The state is my employer ultimately and I got on real quick because it was Mar 2020 and they wanted bodies, but most everyone else is 6-12 months for the whole process.

god drat

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Smythe posted:

god drat

:sbahj:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

anime was right posted:

lol dont u live in like rural PA. jobs are 90% networking these days and ur fighting with every remote person from google that got laid off.

bro, jobs have always been about networking

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

BULBASAUR posted:

bro, jobs have always been about networking
yup

i got my first job because of the community college i went to, and then my first real adult job because of the college i went to :smug:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Xaris posted:

yeah lol that's insane

i think the VC unicorn-turned-IPO gig economy poo poo is on the way out now that debt isn't free. lyft, instacart, and maybe uber seems to be doing quite bad

lmfao the lyft stock is pure bag holders rubes. $80 IPO down to $15.

e: uber isn't down from IPO price that much but still down. lol at everyone who got in on that poo poo getting burned

hmmm, interesting. like i doubt im even gonna be competing with any of these folks with these jobs, that are getting fired making dece six figgies or whatever.
no ones gonna want a job making less money unless youre super desperate, right?
like, even with my raise i still havent even cracked six figgies, living in the bay area and all.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

fits my needs posted:

hmmm, interesting. like i doubt im even gonna be competing with any of these folks with these jobs, that are getting fired making dece six figgies or whatever.
no ones gonna want a job making less money unless youre super desperate, right?
like, even with my raise i still havent even cracked six figgies, living in the bay area and all.
I dunno, hard to say. depends on how much tech labor gets crushed and the state of desperation increases. There was a glut of tech coming out of education (because the running narrative from liberals for past 20 years was LEARN2CODE if u want money), and also what, 150k tech workers laid off the past year? There's also rise of remote outsourcing (either supranational or international) that also can depress wages significantly. Why pay an american 150k when you could pay a canadian 60k to work remotely? Canadians are used to vastly lower wages as an example.

with the infinite free money spigot, tech is taking a poo poo because it's not actually a viable business platform to sell ads and user data or gig fart app while also maintaining 20k 200k figgy computer touchers

on a long enough timeline of unemployment, people will be desperate to pick any job even if it's less money. so i think there is going to be competition and wage suppression but also just depends on how long the money spigot stays turned off and how much labor gets crushed

i can't promise the heyday of The Internship/Silicon Valley-tv show-era noogler indoor waterslides n nerf guns party w/ bespoke coffee waitresses coming around while working 4-hours a week at facebook or twitter for 200k is completely over, but i think it probably is.

e: There will probably still be a lot of computer touchers, especially with fancy pedigrees and extensive experience in a certain esoteric language and PM skills, that wont settle for less and can still pull in 200k salary or whatever because there isn't a big enough labor pool that can do fortran or whatever, but I think the every-day generalized modern-computer toucher is probably not going to be in for a good time.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 09:33 on Apr 22, 2023

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, it is going to depend on the strength of the USD/energy prices going forward, if the Fed is boxed into a hawkish position then yeah the tech sector is going to feel it even if it is more part of a long term trend than a sudden 2000-style crash.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I feel like the entire tech sector is banking on AI garbage being the next smart phone or something

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
AI is the solution to all of our dumb idiot problems is the same as jangling your car keys in front of a dog or small child to distract them.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

DancingShade posted:

AI is the solution to all of our dumb idiot problems is the same as jangling your car keys in front of a dog or small child to distract them.

That's an excellent description of AI

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

tech goes through feast/famine cycles and the trade-off between private sector tech and government tech jobs fluctuates over time too

but drat was going into tech between 2008-2022 hitting the jackpot not just in terms of career but "cheap" housing relative to income.
probably one of the few paths where a salaried employee could drink from the zero interest firehose given how many friends in their 40s that have been able to retire early

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Mustached Demon posted:

I feel like the entire tech sector is banking on AI garbage being the next smart phone or something

Yeah, it is just that the "App Era" mostly coincided with 0% rates. The issue is that the tech sector is going to have going forward is that they need reliable markets around AI not just buzz. I guess there could be some use at the enterprise-level, and that could be a somewhat lucrative market, but it seems like everyone is rushing into the field at the same time.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

shrike82 posted:

tech goes through feast/famine cycles and the trade-off between private sector tech and government tech jobs fluctuates over time too

i dunno if you could say there's enough historical data to make inferrances to say it's an completely elastic hysteresis cycle. there was the 90s dotcom boom->the 2000 bust; then a rather lull plateau for most of the early-mid 2000s where there was good-enough money but not everyone was being told learn2code and you couldn't walk out of college with a guaranteed faang job; then the smartphone era kicked off the web2.0 VC unicorn fart app bonanza with massive hiring sprees of big rosters of overpriced computer touchers. That is now popping and what comes after is ?????

There's substantial differences (both good and bad) since the dotcom bust.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Xaris posted:

yup

i got my first job because of the community college i went to, and then my first real adult job because of the college i went to :smug:

I have my current job in part because I went to the same private high school as the owner's kids and many other family. Even though I'm not involved in the alumni crap, nor do I socialize with them, the three letter acronym of our school name made a difference somehow.

I'd say half of my jobs have been networking, while the other half I cold called my way into. It was easy getting a computer retail job, no references needed. It was easy transitioning to software testing after a random conversion at a job fair (which is probably considered basic networking). But I was hired at the other half of my jobs by having something in common with the hiring manager.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Incidentally my company has an AI engineer on staff. We use AI to prioritize collections from insurance companies for hospitals and physicians. The ML algorithm is restricted to just sorting one grid that the "collections" team uses to compose invoices to send to insurance companies. It's based on the services rendered, amount owed, how easy it has been to collect from the insurance company in the past, and whatever else they could blend in.

My point is that AI isn't just ChatGTP or uncanny-valley robots. It's also dumb problems that don't really need a human or are too complex for meat to do all day every day. Put in it's box, it can do useful things.

Elon and Gates are trying to do so much more with it, wishing, hoping, and praying for a true deus ex machina.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, it is just that the "App Era" mostly coincided with 0% rates. The issue is that the tech sector is going to have going forward is that they need reliable markets around AI not just buzz. I guess there could be some use at the enterprise-level, and that could be a somewhat lucrative market, but it seems like everyone is rushing into the field at the same time.

There's a lot to be done in software land being able to push our hardware technology to the absolute limit but most of the development gets put towards stuff like making SharePoint even more of a pain in the rear end to navigate

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Even during the 90s, there was a pretty rapid descent in interest rates while there was truly a whole new field (the internet itself) that was open to investment; likewise, interest rates were generally going lower across the early-mid 2000s until 2006, so that helped push things along as well. I would say the tech industry as a whole (as well as housing and construction) was feeding off the general decline in rates since the early 1980s.

The problem is, I don't know if the US could come around and repeat that again. A lot of it just comes down to how this current crisis is sorted out and if the USD can stabilize or if the US is truly trapped in a high-rate environment, which is going to cause a ton of long-term issues.

Obviously, there is a lot of bloat in the system, but can companies, already riddled with nepotism and favoritism, really make themselves that much more efficient?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

anonumos posted:

Incidentally my company has an AI engineer on staff. We use AI to prioritize collections from insurance companies for hospitals and physicians. The ML algorithm is restricted to just sorting one grid that the "collections" team uses to compose invoices to send to insurance companies. It's based on the services rendered, amount owed, how easy it has been to collect from the insurance company in the past, and whatever else they could blend in.

My point is that AI isn't just ChatGTP or uncanny-valley robots. It's also dumb problems that don't really need a human or are too complex for meat to do all day every day. Put in it's box, it can do useful things.

Elon and Gates are trying to do so much more with it, wishing, hoping, and praying for a true deus ex machina.

ai is by and large repackaging the social labor that mediates the relationship between capitalists and workers as capital.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Zodium posted:

ai is by and large repackaging the social labor that mediates the relationship between capitalists and workers as capital.

Repackaging social labor as capital? I mean in so far as it's sick that we have a whole rear end company dedicated to putting insurers' feet to the fire to pay what they agreed, when we should have public healthcare and almost none of these private insurers...yeah. This part of the deck of the Titanic has self-moving pool chairs.

Believe it or not we've been hiring more staff in the contract coding and collections teams since the AI invoice sorting went into production. It's been a labor multiplier, honestly. But ultimately it does what the collections people were doing for years on hunches and data analytics. Now they do more of the other stuff and collect more money.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

anonumos posted:

Repackaging social labor as capital? I mean in so far as it's sick that we have a whole rear end company dedicated to putting insurers' feet to the fire to pay what they agreed, when we should have public healthcare and almost none of these private insurers...yeah. This part of the deck of the Titanic has self-moving pool chairs.

Believe it or not we've been hiring more staff in the contract coding and collections teams since the AI invoice sorting went into production. It's been a labor multiplier, honestly. But ultimately it does what the collections people were doing for years on hunches and data analytics. Now they do more of the other stuff and collect more money.

It makes sense that more efficiency would heighten the amount of extraction going on (and probably a rapid rise in bankruptcy).

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Zodium posted:

They're pretty neat if you want to order a list based on vague criteria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Ardennes posted:

It makes sense that more efficiency would heighten the amount of extraction going on (and probably a rapid rise in bankruptcy).

It's a dead end role, but in the current framework it does some good. We actually make sure insurance companies pay the provider. We don't collect from patients.

Unfortunately the whole industry and its hangers-on like my company (no matter how good intentioned), are still part of the medical bankruptcy industry. Big MedBroke Inc.

I have no illusions about my role in this economy. Gotta eat. I'd rather test software for Healthcare than Wells Fargo or Credit Karma.