Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Brief overview of the strategy map just went up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgwA66yvAz8

AoW4 is pretty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

BurningBeard posted:

Mass terrain manipulation stuff is my favorite in games like this. Makes you feel extremely powerful to change big masses of land like that.

It's why I loved using Arctic Empire in AoW 3, even though it was mostly just a free pass for Frostlings to invade me.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jabarto posted:

It's why I loved using Arctic Empire in AoW 3, even though it was mostly just a free pass for Frostlings to invade me.
Path of Frost in AoW2 was the absolute best. I've not been on top of the dev diaries, any sign of that returning?

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.

Splicer posted:

Path of Frost in AoW2 was the absolute best. I've not been on top of the dev diaries, any sign of that returning?

From the cannibal orcs video we saw the arctic-spreading magic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7pKeH1cLb4&t=2102s

Like in AoW 3, it's a late-game tech and seems to function very similarly.

The siege video/diary drops within 24 hours, should be pretty fun.

Ceramic Shot fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 20, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ceramic Shot posted:

From the cannibal orcs video we saw the arctic-spreading magic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7pKeH1cLb4&t=2102s

Like in AoW 3, it's a late-game tech and seems to function very similarly.

The siege video/diary drops within 24 hours, should be pretty fun.
Path of (x) were unit abilities where every hex you (left? Entered? I forget which) got turned to the appropriate terrain. So Path of Death let you run around elfland messing up their favoured terrain bonuses and such. Path of Frost was the best because your speedy wolves were basically laying roads of snow for your frostlings to speed along.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

Splicer posted:

Path of (x) were unit abilities where every hex you (left? Entered? I forget which) got turned to the appropriate terrain. So Path of Death let you run around elfland messing up their favoured terrain bonuses and such.

Haven't seen any of that yet in 4. I think the terraforming since Planetfall tends to be province-wide. The paintbrush got fatter.

One funny late-game terraforming Nature spell I've seen removes a forest hex from a province and gives you a full stack of strong animal and ent-like units. The T2 Tome of Glades lets you create new forests too.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

PaybackJack posted:

One of the reasons I always include the Forestation operation on my galactic empire runs. Even if it's not actually effecient to turn everything into a forest, I love the idea of being able to do so.

Mountain Breaker for me- not only does it give you usable terrain, but as long as it's not Fungal you get a potential level 5 Production or Energy sector, which is certainly nothing to sneeze at!

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I'm trying to figure out overwatch in planetfall and between what I've read online and what I'm seeing in game I'm wondering if it was changed in a patch.

I've never seen a non-agile overwatch unit make more than a single shot. Doesn't matter how many action points I have when I set up overwatch, units only shoot once. I thought this was intentional until trying Dvar Bulwarks, who shoot three times unless they get staggered.

I think this is why I found vanguard miserable to play. I don't know how to hold off melee with a single shot. I stopped using overwatch entirely during the vanguard campaign and things got much better.

Edit: I could be misreading things but triple overwatch was really noticeable with bulwarks and I just had some t1 neutral critters walk through syndicate 3-action overwatch and take hardly any damage.

Edit: After some more testing I might also just be an idiot. Overwatch doesn't seem great though.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 20, 2023

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Overwatch banks all your AP, yeah, so if you want to overwatch with a repeating weapon you don’t want to move a long way first. It’s very good vs. enemies that you outrange and can force to approach you, since your overwatch shots will be on enemies running at you and are therefore out of cover. Overwatch also counters Skitter, since the skitter bonus is only active after the skitterer moves, and is cleared at the beginning of their turn. Skitter doesn’t help if a skitterer is shot mid-move.

Enemies you DON’T outrange will just shoot you from beyond the edge of your overwatch cone, and since overwatch is 1 tile shorter range than your normal shots are, you won’t be able to shoot back. If you can’t take a good shot vs. an enemy you don’t outrange it’s often better to just go into defense mode to get the 25% dodge bonus and unflankability instead. Overwatch is really useful but it’s not a thing you should do all the time, it’s often better to just hunker or reposition.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

KPC_Mammon posted:

Edit: After some more testing I might also just be an idiot. Overwatch doesn't seem great though.

Overwatch isn't that great in most cases, particularly with low tier ranged troops that don't have any supporting skills for it. Often you'll be shooting things on the very edge of your range which means you have a hefty accuracy penalty and won't be doing a lot of damage due to miss/graze.

It's definitely not meant to allow you to mow down melee units before they can reach you (though that can happen on occasion), it's an alternative to defending.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
On the other hand, Vanguard Troopers get +15% accuracy from overwatch in cover, so if you have some other accuracy buffs (usually from setting things on fire) it is a bit more valid a tactic, especially if you're hugging a Promethean Aegis tank. I don't go all in on overwatch, but I do often have one or two Troopers specialized for it with something like Interlocking Armor, Rail Accelerator, and some sort of Firearms status affecting mod as a modest deterrent to specific enemy threats taking the most direct route.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

overwatch is also a great way to apply status effects. Dvar Bulwarks are good from the very start of the game for this. With Agile Overwatch (3 overwatch shots even if they only have 1 AP) and Flechette Rounds they can toss bleeds on whatever moves into range, setting them up to get completely murdered next turn. Shakarn Deadeyes are also very good for this after tech has developed a bit - there's a lot of amazing Sonic debuffs, so you can move them towards defensive or offensive buffs as seems appropriate.

for Vanguard its a good idea to get the firearms mod that grants +range. that also applies to overwatch and because of the way range bands work out it makes attacking a Vanguard Trooper overwatch camp *much* more dangerous. Midgame when i'm no longer putting Cosmite towards Troopers, i usually use a trooper model with just that mod as a horde unit.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

Overwatch also counters Skitter, since the skitter bonus is only active after the skitterer moves, and is cleared at the beginning of their turn. Skitter doesn’t help if a skitterer is shot mid-move..

Worth noting that in player hands you can move your pustule back and forth between the same 2 hexes, then have them dip their toe into the overwatch area to deplete enemy overwatch shots on a unit that now has 40% evasion (on top of the accuracy penalties they take for firing at the edge of their shooting range)

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

when aow4 comes out is a new thread being made or is this just being renamed

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

HallelujahLee posted:

when aow4 comes out is a new thread being made or is this just being renamed

I think we should make a new thread, but I'm not going to do it myself.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
The thread is not particularly big or unwieldy, and a new thread would probably also serve as a posting space for Planetfall since the series has a relatively small audience that generally plays all the games. Might as well keep Planetfall legacy posts easily on hand in the same thread.

Assuming the OP is still around and willing to retool the first posts.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I vote shiny new thread.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
I vote keep old thead since it will probably serve as a general AoW thread anyway.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Thyrork hasn’t posted in over a year so the OP won’t get updated, we’ll need a new thread

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Nrw thread is fine, but I suggest to make it a general Age of Wonders one.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

OperaMouse posted:

not a bad idea

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Mzbundifund posted:

Thyrork hasn’t posted in over a year so the OP won’t get updated, we’ll need a new thread

OperaMouse posted:

Good point and good suggestion!

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Mzbundifund posted:

I also think a new thread would be a good idea.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

There are some streams going currently. The latter two below are German.

Quill18: https://twitch.tv/quill18

Steinwallen: https://twitch.tv/steinwallen

Mauriceweber: https://twitch.tv/mauriceweber

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

Anno posted:

Thanks for this! I'm watching Quill's stream and I'm super hype for the game.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Anno posted:

thanks so far im liking what im seeing

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

HallelujahLee posted:

thanks so far im liking what im seeing

Yeah, the last official stream showed that High socieites have an ascension mechanic that looks rad af to interact with. I'm looking forward to seeing what all the different socieites have to work with to beef themselves up in battle.

i'm so pumped to play as tree toads in 10 days.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm surprised how taken I am with the game from the streams honestly, it looks like there's a lot of crunch to get involved with.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Arrrthritis posted:

Yeah, the last official stream showed that High socieites have an ascension mechanic that looks rad af to interact with. I'm looking forward to seeing what all the different socieites have to work with to beef themselves up in battle.

yeah its been awhile since aow3 and this looks much better

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Halfway through Quill's stream and the game looks so good, and pretty polished. Hopefully this lets AoW break through a bit into a more recognizable and widely played tier of game.

edit: I like that Quill equipped a couple random support items and the combat AI discovered a good combo attack using them: https://clips.twitch.tv/ObliviousPreciousPheasantFailFish-74H8c2usgJOa6vaU

Anno fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 23, 2023

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

Anno posted:

Thanks for the links!

Unable to understand the Euros, I still skipped around them for a bit, and mein gott are the national stereotypes accurate in these streams.

Steinwallen (German) is still on turn 8 at the three-hour mark of their stream.
Chiches (Spanish) grabs a ~victoria militar~ on turn 22 (and turn 10 on his second game).

He also helpfully pointed out that Sapiencia Frogger has tremendos manos.

Ceramic Shot fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Apr 23, 2023

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Arrrthritis posted:

I look forward to dipping my toe in the water for a few days and then hitting up Breath of the Wild 2. I don't want to go too hard on this because I know if I dislike it, as I did with Planetfall initially, it could take some coaxing to get me to try the expansions which really smoothed out the game.

Paradox and Firaxis are both companies that I find put out decent stuff at launch but the real deep dive comes with the first expansion.

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Ceramic Shot posted:

Thanks for the links!

Unable to understand the Euros, I still skipped around them for a bit, and mein gott are the national stereotypes accurate in these streams.

Steinwallen (German) is still on turn 8 at the three-hour mark of their stream.
Chiches (Spanish) grabs a ~victoria militar~ on turn 22 (and turn 10 on his second game).

He also helpfully pointed out that Sapiencia Frogger has tremendos manos.

Steinwallen was a history teacher (I think). He played on hard and was killed by his AI neighbour of moles. I like his style of streaming, not hysterical but thoughtful. He is usually one of the contenders for victory in German multiplayer streamed matches in Vic3, Civ6, KoH2 etc.

I watched a bit of Chiches, and he played on Easy, rushing to earn extra's for his Pantheon, of which he had already unlocked 4. So he had been playing a lot off screen already.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Quill was talking about there not being an undo option for movement in the tactical screen.
If that’s true can we please get that back? Manual retry of failed auto combat and being able to undo movement that hadn’t resulted in an AoO are the two biggest QoL improvements from Planetfall.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shortly after that apparently someone told him that there is an undo for non-damaging moves.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Bouquet posted:

Quill was talking about there not being an undo option for movement in the tactical screen.
If that’s true can we please get that back? Manual retry of failed auto combat and being able to undo movement that hadn’t resulted in an AoO are the two biggest QoL improvements from Planetfall.

infinite undo in Old World is so loving good it immediately felt like every other tbs in history has been doing it wrong

(because they are)

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

victrix posted:

infinite undo in Old World is so loving good it immediately felt like every other tbs in history has been doing it wrong

(because they are)

I was so shocked playing Tactics Ogre for the first time over the Christmas break and seeing that the game not only gives you an undo up to a large number of actions but also remembers decision trees so if you do something and are mildly satisfied you can back up, do some other stuff and if it doesn't work as well just jump right back to the end of the first path you took.

So nice when most developers are trying to out-think players save scumming and what not. We need more of these designers that "lean in" to letting people dick around however they like in a single player mode.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

yep, it absolutely makes playing both of those games an objectively better experience for me

I *hate* the save reload shuffle in aow, at it's worst when you're still learning what you can handle

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
There’s an undo but it only works if you’ve moved and not taken damage. Maybe Quill didn’t see the button?

I’d love a proper undo system like in Fire Emblem 3H, but unfortunately it’s just not technically viable to add something like that!

The game also makes a save at the end of each turn in combat, and there’s a Restart Combat button too. I am the biggest save scummer, snd use it all the time.

As an aside, if you have cheats enabled in Planetfall (and maybe AoW3 too? I forget…) the RESTART cheat will restart combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirotishi
Apr 12, 2004
While we've got you, Gerblyn, I was wondering--are there any big changes in damage calculation from planetfall? I feel like all the numbers (health pools, defense values) are a little bigger than I'm used to seeing, what's the story there?

Couldn't be more excited for release, by the way, it looks like a masterpiece.