Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Are you suggesting that the world could function without hearing the thoughts of a telegraph columnist?

A bold claim if so, we have no way of knowing whether or not other humans are capable of thought. Without the columnist how would they exprience ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Absolutely welcome! I lurked for ages here before I dared post. I mostly just post random bits from my head because this is a community of honestly very nice, helpful people and folks here have picked up on things occasionally and lent a helping hand. I shall absolutely check out your work! More plushies cannot hurt!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It is tough getting work over 55 - employers are far too ready to dismiss 'oldies' as being 'unable to learn new tricks' or 'bad with tech' or whatever load of age-discriminatory BS they can come up with.

Just to point out, many in my office are over 55 and I'm pretty sure with your skillset, you could walk into a technical director or production role in the games industry if you ever wanted it. We've done a good job of stamping out ageism and sexism in the last few years, at least where I work.

If you ever want to talk about it, as its all fully remote... Drop me a PM. Company is hiring a shitload and it has decent pay and full private healthcare with a surprising no preexisting conditions clause along with a ridiculous slew of other benefits.

Same goes for any other computer touchers in the thread!

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Welcome to the thread! I’ll take a look at your plushies for sure. As everyone said, just post, we don’t bite very hard

verydarkblue
May 23, 2009
That's the worst part! I know the people in this thread are some of the most compassionate people I've ever seen. The problem is totally with me. It is hard for me to communicate but I'm going to work through it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/Lechthedog/status/1649744435133947906?s=20

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

You can immediately ingratiate yourself to the thread by making a plushie of Sir Keir Starmer KC

verydarkblue
May 23, 2009

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

You can immediately ingratiate yourself to the thread by making a plushie of Sir Keir Starmer KC

LOL! I'll do my best. Currently I'm making a Diglett, but I will attempt a Keir as soon as I'm done.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Lol please don't go out of your way for the sake of a shitpost

verydarkblue
May 23, 2009
My dog can always use a new stuffed toy to destroy.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
What’s the turnaround time on these? My wife’s birthday is coming up…

verydarkblue
May 23, 2009

Maugrim posted:

What’s the turnaround time on these? My wife’s birthday is coming up…

It depends on how complex what you want is. I don't have any orders right now so I could make it a priority, probably within a week or so if I have the necessary materials to hand.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Mad antivaxx rally in Glasgow today outside the anime convention, one attendee got booed by the crowd when he informed them that their mothers suck cocks in hell.

DJT518T
Aug 4, 2010
Have you considered making Fiesta Cat plushies?

verydarkblue
May 23, 2009

DJT518T posted:

Have you considered making Fiesta Cat plushies?

Had not heard of Fiesta Cat before now. I usually work in plush or fleece for bodies but I'll definitely look into it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/tynewrc/status/1649719273621712898?s=20

(If you follow the link to Morning Star, be aware that if you refresh the link, it reduces your count by 1 even if it's the same article).
https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/b/radical-films-pulled-tolpuddle-martyrs

quote:

The film’s producer, Norman Thomas, said South West region TUC, which organises the festival, claimed to have received threats of “severe disruption” if the film is screened and has decided it should not be shown.

As a result of the decision, organisers of the film screenings have called off the whole programme on principle.

Mr Thomas dismissed the threat of disruption as “utter nonsense” and said it was “just an excuse for blatant censorship” by South West TUC.

He said: “The film simply provides a view of the Labour Party that the festival organisers don’t want shown.

“The film tells a story that the present Labour Party hierarchy wants suppressed at all costs.

“I believe TUC South West is guilty of an utterly unfair and unjust act which is a stain on the labour movement.”

The film is narrated by Alexei Sayle and has contributions from film-maker Ken Loach who has been expelled from the Labour Party.

A spokesperson for the TUC nationally said: “As a condition of our funding of the film festival, the South-West TUC required the removal of a film from the proposed programme.

“We believe showing this film would not uphold the TUC’s values nor contribute to the safety of staff, stewards and attendees.”

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Speaking of fabric craft I was thinking of making myself a new cloak as I gave my original charity shop one to someone else. Need some cheap wool blankets or something to make it out of. I managed to figure out how to string my grandmother's hand crank singer so it would be nice to use it for something.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

verydarkblue posted:

Had not heard of Fiesta Cat before now. I usually work in plush or fleece for bodies but I'll definitely look into it.

Voodoo dolls of reknowned assholes.

Wonder how quickly the police would appear if you had a string of lynched plushies of Tories outside your door.

verydarkblue
May 23, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Speaking of fabric craft I was thinking of making myself a new cloak as I gave my original charity shop one to someone else. Need some cheap wool blankets or something to make it out of. I managed to figure out how to string my grandmother's hand crank singer so it would be nice to use it for something.

I learned how to sew on an old Singer treadle sewing machine. I still haven't found a machine that makes a more beautiful stitch. If you're looking for fabric, a lot of online stores and eBay sites sell remnants really cheap so depending on the material you want and how much you need you could find a bargain.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
NORMAN

NORMAN!!!!!

THAT AWFUL MAN LOOKED AT OUR NEW CORONATION LAWN ORNAMENT, NORMAN!!!!

YOU KNOW THE AWFUL MAN I MEAN NORMAN!!!

NO NOT THE SCOTCH ONE NORMAN

THE ONE THAT LOOKS LIKE THE BEEGEES

WHAT DO YOU MEAN EACH OF THE BEEGEES LOOKED QUITE DISTINCT ESPECIALLY MAURICE WHO HAD VERY PRONOUNCED PATTERN BALDNESS FROM QUITE AN EARLY AGE, NORMAN, YOU KNOW VERY WELL I MEAN OF LARGE HAIR AND BEARD, YOU'RE BEING CHURLISH, NORMAN :mad:

I SHOULDN'T WONDER THAT HE IS COVETING IT, NORMAN

I SHOULDN'T BE SURPRISED IF HE ATTEMPTS TO STEAL IT

HE'S FROM BIRMING-HAM, NORMAN, HE SOUNDS UNCOUTH

crispix fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 22, 2023

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

silver lining of that bed making GBS threads doofus owning twitter

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/apr/22/i-am-the-fuhrer-im-the-king-new-book-lifts-lid-on-life-inside-boris-johnsons-chaotic-no-10

quote:

Gove offered the account in a new book, Johnson at 10, by Anthony Seldon, which documents the chaos and downfall of the Johnson premiership. It argues that Johnson blamed Cummings and his wife, Carrie Johnson, to disguise his own reluctance to take difficult decisions in Downing Street. Seldon’s book states that Johnson described his then fiancee Carrie as “mad and crazy” as he used her as an excuse to avoid confrontations. Ed Lister, Johnson’s longtime adviser, said: “He thrives on chaos. They were all his decisions.”

It also argues that Cummings increasingly cut Johnson out of the decision-making process in his own government. It states that Cummings would tell officials and ministers: “Don’t tell the PM” or “Oh, don’t bother him with this”. The book claims it eventually led to the extraordinary outburst from Johnson: “I am meant to be in control. I am the führer. I’m the king who takes the decisions.”

lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I am the one who cocks.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I know Johnson did lots of stuff that's objectively worse, and I know Carrie doesn't deserve any sympathy, but pinning the blame on his own wife feels low even for him.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like with the rate he goes through them it should probably be assumed tbh.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Like I'm not gonna do the liberal handwringing 'if only the vicious right-wing shitehawk showed more class' shtick, but loving hell there is a limit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I guess I am used to right wing weirdos being either (or, perhaps, simultaneously) aggressive dickheads who like picking on people or extremely conflict averse when it comes to anything they aren't 100% in control of.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Boris Johnson screaming "I am the fuhrer" is a fun mental image.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Jeremy Corbyn officially worse than Hitler, but we already knew that anyway

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It underscores how pathetic it was for factions of the 'soft left' to be handwringing about how The Big Lie sounds a bit like an antisemitic conspiracy theory if you have an in depth knowledge of those when Johnson was running around screaming "I am the fuhrer" with his cock hanging out of his trousers.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Guavanaut posted:

https://twitter.com/AllisonPearson/status/1649409500166737920

Gordon Brown terrorizes Ed Balls in the office, 2006

i have an office mate who regularly participates in strongman competitions, and he needed two other guys to move a typical office photocopier ten feet without a dolly. the thought of anyone "throwing" one is insane

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i have an office mate who regularly participates in strongman competitions, and he needed two other guys to move a typical office photocopier ten feet without a dolly. the thought of anyone "throwing" one is insane

Ah, those are the big buggers.
You get get printer/photocopier combos that sit on your desk, weight of a laptop or two only.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

happyhippy posted:

Ah, those are the big buggers.
You get get printer/photocopier combos that sit on your desk, weight of a laptop or two only.

You think whichever company had a contract with the Government at the time to provide ICT equipment gave them something small, rather than something far too big they couldn't flog to a corporate client?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

It underscores how pathetic it was for factions of the 'soft left' to be handwringing about how The Big Lie sounds a bit like an antisemitic conspiracy theory if you have an in depth knowledge of those when Johnson was running around screaming "I am the fuhrer" with his cock hanging out of his trousers.

The actual fuhrer should just have blamed everything on Eva Braun and Himmler instead.

He'd probably have been NATO secretary General.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Gordon Broon chucked back a whole bottle of bucky and swung a full sized xerox machine around by its power cord like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxO758l7JVM&t=250s

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Well, it's quite eyebrow raising just how many Nazis went on to become valued and very senior members of NATO. There's dudes who were literally photographed with Hitler who ended up commanding NATO forces in the 50's and 60's.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean yeah, and operation paperclip was a thing. The US was not really particularly bothered about nazis unless it was causing problems for them.

Plus if you're expecting to fight the soviet union, well, who has the most experience doing that on a theater-scale?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mugsbaloney posted:

Mad antivaxx rally in Glasgow today outside the anime convention, one attendee got booed by the crowd when he informed them that their mothers suck cocks in hell.

They told him to say something that would turn heads and he misunderstood?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

FFS

https://twitter.com/Britain_People/status/1649812996712017920?s=20

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Lol. He's still an mp, maybe he could make a comeback doing that job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I know Johnson did lots of stuff that's objectively worse, and I know Carrie doesn't deserve any sympathy, but pinning the blame on his own wife feels low even for him.
You're talking about the guy who cheated on his wife when she had cervical cancer and then divorced her, there is no low to which he will not sink.