Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1649657924313030657

Well.... good luck with trying to rebuild anything with what you have left, you'll need it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I guess he's right because he didn't. He didn't even pull a Reality Winner. What he did do was far, far more stupid than that. What an absolute clown.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Leaking loving classified documents for a year to foreign nationals for clout, jfc

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Yo, its your booiii Unknowing; We're here going for an any% Guantanamo Bay sentence speedrun. I'm already dropping TS docs in the discord, let's goooooo!

...Aaaaaand that's the FBI knocking on my door, didn't beat ESnowed-In's record but got a sick new PB. Remember to like, share, subscri-*Stream cuts out*.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
"dont abuse it"

"lmao too late"

:cripes:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

President Sauli Niinistö vas a guest at this morning's Yle morning show. Here are some salient points from their long interview, as reported on Yle's website.

Yle posted:

Nordic radio companies have reported this week that Russia is planning sabotage in tne national waters of Nordic countries. According to Niinistö undersea cables and other such infrastructure are "a very vulnerable target, which they have been mapping, if the sightings are accurate".

- Of course the next question is, how can we develop ways of defending ourselves and protecting these important connections, Niinistö said.

Russia blowing up the Nord Stream pipes proves tha they have the capability of conducting underwater sabotage. The President can't offer a concrete solution on how to protect pipes or cables that are located in distant undersea areas.

- The problem is that these are free waters, and moving in them is legitimate. But of course this kind of activity does make the overall situation tenser.

---

When Finland became a Nato member on 4.4.2023, many things changed. Traditionally Finland has been known as a bridge builder who have acted as go betweens in many types of crises.

An audience question to Niinistö asked if Finland and the Finnish president could act as a peace envoy in Ukraine. Sauli Niinistö reminds that Finland's position is now different.

- Our Nato membership definitely affects these changes. From the perspective of our Eastern neighbours not in a positive way.

---

Finland is negotiating a new DCA accord (Defence Co-operation Agreement) with the United States. What do we need such an accord for, when we are already in Nato? Is Nato too slow to react?

- It's not a race or anything, but the United States acts quickly, Niinistö phrases.

He speculates that the United States have a vested interest in Europe's safety and stability. For instance Norway's DCA accord contains plans about hosting Nato bases. According to Niinistö, Norway's accord is "framework" for our negotations.

- But I won't fully reveal the contents of negotiations that are still underway, Niinistö says.

An interesting question is how Nato's fifth article might affect Finnish conscripts. According to Niinistö, it wouldn't. Our responsibilites for defending other Nato members from attacks would be fulfilled through the army's permanent staff, and specifically contracted reservists. Conscripts serving their mandatory military service the article does not bind in any way.

---

Finland has had a debate in recent days about Finland's role in the international operation in Afghanistan. According to doctor of military science Ilmari Käihkö, Finland might have had a role in killing Afghani people, for instance by revealing intelligence information to US armed forces.

Niinistö, the commander in chief of the Finnish Defence Force, says he doesn't have detailed information on the topic.

- But I think it is good, that those claims get explored and the truth found out.

According to Niinistö our Nato membership does not change the type of operations Finland will participate in. Our experiences in Afghanistan over the past decades were not good, according to Niinistö.

- Neither our experiences, or our results. I think that in the future we'll think hard about what kind of operations we participate in.

---

At the start of the interview, Seija Vaaherkumpu asked about Sweden, who fell behind Finland in their Nato application process, and is not a member of the defence alliance yet.

Right now Swedish Democrats are threatening to topple Sweden's government over questions about immigration and refugees. Will that have an effect on Sweden's Nato project?

Niinistö reminds that the Nato decision was made by an almost universal consensus by Swedish parties.

- I don't think Sweden's internal politics will have a big effect on how their Nato journey proceeds, he says.

According to Niinistö there's nothing new to report about Sweden's Nato membership. Sweden and Turkey are probably waiting for Sweden's new anti-terrorism legislation to be finished.

According to Nato's secretary Jens Stoltenberg Ukraine's place is also in Nato.

- In this situation it's crucial for Nato to remain unified, Niinistö carefully says.

- Large Nato countries emphasize the rule that Nato can't accept a country that is currently involved in a war.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Interview aside, god drat if i can tell what emotion that smile is trying to communicate.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Interview aside, god drat if i can tell what emotion that smile is trying to communicate.

Expected to smile right now in this situation, but doesn’t feel like smiling and is also Finnish, but trying to do the smile anyway since he’s a diplomat

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

armpit_enjoyer posted:

When the uncanny valley and reality deliver the same outcome. :stonk:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Cartoon Man posted:

I feel like the circus is a step down from the water park tickets.

I went to a circus in Russia. It was...fine? They made do with what they had

you couldn't pay me to find out what a Russian water park entails

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Aren't clowns/the circus pretty highly regarded culturally in Russia?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

jaete posted:

Expected to smile right now in this situation, but doesn’t feel like smiling and is also Finnish, but trying to do the smile anyway since he’s a diplomat

Do Finnish people have an inability to smile? I know Americans are probably the most prolific smilers, as we seem to associate smiling with openness and friendliness, but is there something about Finns that makes smiling less common?

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

free hubcaps posted:

They are, clowns can hold high office.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Russia has captured Kyiv in Absentia!

free hubcaps posted:

they made one president of the united states yes

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

the holy poopacy posted:

That sucks, your husband gets conscripted and as compensation they give you 2 more conscription notices.

Ooh, excellent joke. I think it would also work if it were slightly less esoteric.

That sucks, imagine receiving two tickets to the circus after your husband just died in one.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

armpit_enjoyer posted:

President Sauli Niinistö, seen here watching a three year old drop their stroopwafel,

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Second unexploded bomb was found in Belgorod

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1649727360869040130

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I went to a Russian circus in Moscow and they trained a bear to drive a motorcycle around the circus arena

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

HonorableTB posted:

I went to a Russian circus in Moscow and they trained a bear to drive a motorcycle around the circus arena

Ahhh the ballet

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
hmm I thought we'd be done with this animal doing tricks thing by now

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Willatron posted:

Ahhh the ballet

I got pulled up on stage at the Mariinskiy Theatre in St Petersburg to perform with the ballet dancers :v: When we went we were not told they had sections of the show where the dancers go out into the audience and grab people lol

I thoroughly embarrassed myself, was not dressed in the right clothing, have no idea how to dance, and had an absolute blast doing it

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

HonorableTB posted:

Freakazoid and Cosgrove are just off camera

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Icochet posted:

I have finnish Lambi deployed in my bathroom right now. It's good. Like a rimjob from god

Do the wood splinters cause a great deal of rectal bleeding or just a moderate amount?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
knowing russia, the splinters probably break before doing any damage

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

NATO is using drill tunnel bombs now to fight Russia? Wow

They literally have to drill through the center of the earth to fight us now

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Weird tangent, but: I think Lambi started as a Swedish trademark, but these days it's owned by a Finnish company that sells paper towels and toilet paper across northern Europe; they started selling in Russia in 2006. If I had to guess, the current Russian Lambi is a replacement product illegaly using the brand on locally made products after being cut off from deliveries of the original. Genuine Lambi holds a position in Norway that's not unlike Charmin in the US.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Computer viking posted:

Weird tangent, but: I think Lambi started as a Swedish trademark, but these days it's owned by a Finnish company that sells paper towels and toilet paper across northern Europe; they started selling in Russia in 2006. If I had to guess, the current Russian Lambi is a replacement product illegaly using the brand on locally made products after being cut off from deliveries of the original. Genuine Lambi holds a position in Norway that's not unlike Charmin in the US.

Makes sense, it's what they've been doing to Finnish cheese and chocolate since exports were cut off due to the war. The importers just slap Russian stickers over the top and call it a day. Like five importers are supplying black market imported cheese and chocolate to St Petersburg at the moment, and it's apparently not too hard to come by if you know where to look. Big revival of the Soviet second economy :D

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Sun has it all figured out, it’s this easy.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/7935650/ukraine-russia-big-bang-counter-offensive/

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Babies first Blitz

e: That infographic should come with a box of crayons and some fun little puzzles to solve, like connecting dots to make a HIMARS or a maze to find the route to Crimea

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Computer viking posted:

Finns sell bad toiletpaper to Russia on purpose. Hitting where it hurts splinter after splinter.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1649779596311535618
"Sorry about the whole invasion, wholesale destruction, and murder going on in your country bro but we gotta see both perspectives in this conflict you know" :dumb:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does Ukraine have any effective counter to the Black Sea Fleet apart from it catching on fire?

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

You'd think that if they could knock out the Moskva, then they can do the same to just about any other Russian ship using the same methods.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Arc Hammer posted:

Does Ukraine have any effective counter to the Black Sea Fleet apart from it catching on fire?

They've got lots of missiles that seem pretty effective. The Black Sea Fleet has proved to be largely useless other than as a missile launching platform. It doesn't really need to be countered at this point.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

:hmmyes:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

Neptunes

Also have a video of a column of Leo2s mud ridin' (standard warnings about clickthrough apply, I didn't see anything but doesn't mean it ain't there further down)

https://twitter.com/KrzysztofJano15/status/1649716403585335296?s=20

counteroffensive preparations proceeding apace

Morale is high (standard warnings about clickthrough apply, I didn't see anything but doesn't mean it ain't there further down):

https://twitter.com/UkraineNewsLive/status/1649657754078904323?s=20

Also, the Russians bombed Belgorod with two bombs apparently, they found another unexploded ordnance from the same incident:

https://twitter.com/UkraineNewsLive/status/1649721950976069632?s=20

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 22, 2023

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Deteriorata posted:

They've got lots of missiles that seem pretty effective. The Black Sea Fleet has proved to be largely useless other than as a missile launching platform. It doesn't really need to be countered at this point.

Its still effective as a threat to shipping, I think? If not, there would probably not be any need for the grain deal, and the US could ship gear directly into Odessa. (Or is the latter more about the harbor being vulnerable to Khinzals and such?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Scam Likely posted:

You'd think that if they could knock out the Moskva, then they can do the same to just about any other Russian ship using the same methods.

The problem isn't so much the method it's the number of Neptune missiles they have as they were not in production, just prototyping, and the fact that Russia has had it proven that the Neptune works, so the Black Sea Fleet is staying outside the range of ashore missile batteries. Not sure if Ukraine even has any more Neptune batteries left, it's possible that the few they had may have been hit by lucky long range strikes, but Russia likely isn't willing to take the chance with their ships.