Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

CornHolio posted:

I'm about an hour in but it's been about a year since I beat the game and I don't remember any of these weapons in my wheel now

I’m in the same boat - I played for 30min or so and had to switch to another game because I didn’t want to relearn the controls and weapons last night. I’ll return to it again, but it’ll take some motivation to relearn everything before starting the DLC’s missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Sorry to say but having tried melee combat out I just can't do it. I don't know how any of you manage to fight larger machines. I can plink plonk away at a slaughterspine for several thousand hours while getting beaten around by the very annoying plasma element or I can freeze it and destroy it under a minute with a bolt blaster. It's just not satisfying, despite the video making it look like it is. Small machines, sure. But anything larger is just an exercise in frustration. To continue from that, I seriously don't understand why the recovery from getting knocked down is so loving long. I've played hunting games where massive monsters bash into my character at like 90 mph and they get back up like no problem. I don't need verisimilitude in this regard, Sony. Just have Aloy quickly get back up. It's okay. People will understand that you don't have realistic responses to getting hit by a massive machine and made it "video gamey".

I also decided I hate the climbing in this game. Having an areas that didn't require you to engage with it a whole lot (the base game) didn't really show you how horribly janky and trash it was but burning shores likes to have sheer cliffs that go on for what seems like a hundred miles, especially in the middle of solid landmasses where you simply just fall and fall until you hit water. Getting back up takes too long and it's just stupid. The third game either needs to do what assassin creed does and have fast climbing anywhere or they need to remove it completely from the game. It's not fun, it's not engaging and if they're not going to put the effort into not making it feel like crap then they need not bother at all. If you want the experience I had then fight the slaughterspine in the middle area by the tower (where there is a thunderjaw grounds is right next to it) and wonder why they have a massive pit in the middle of that spot if not to be pieces of poo poo to people wanting to hunt those monsters.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

When you're doing a melee build against elite machines you generally want to go for a more balanced loadout with the Critical Boost valor surge, which will give your Sharpshot Bows 100% crit chance with 3 critical coils slotted in there. You can dance in melee and rattle off 3-4 spreadshot volleys but only while they're frozen and/or to deliver a grapple strike. Drill Spikes are also nice to have since it's 1-2 hits to a limb for a full knockdown. You're using Aloy's spear to quickly build up valor gauge + weapon stamina against elites, not kill them outright.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Slowly chipping away at Burning Shores and I'm really digging it so far. It's a little bit "more of the same" but I enjoyed HFW so I don't mind. I haven't encountered the same bugs other people have, other than way more frequent pop-in at long distances. Don't know how I feel about the design of the main hub, feels cramped and overly-busy.

The corridor to the Ascension Hall set something primal off in my brain, genuinely invoking a scared/grossed out/"get out get out get out" reaction from me. For whatever reason, the clean, Zenith-style paving on the floor mixed with the corroded, wet, mineralized, industrial pipes along the walls and the ceiling hosed me up big time. The creepy cult stuff in the bigger hall was a little corny and on the nose to give the story beat of "this isn't right and there are lies here" but a simple hallway gave me the scaries.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Slowly chipping away at Burning Shores and I'm really digging it so far. It's a little bit "more of the same" but I enjoyed HFW so I don't mind. I haven't encountered the same bugs other people have, other than way more frequent pop-in at long distances. Don't know how I feel about the design of the main hub, feels cramped and overly-busy.

I haven't really encountered any bugs, although I haven't been able to clear the new item notification in my inventory on one category since day 1 of the game.

But yeah, I've been surprised by all the pop in. I thought this was PS5 exclusive for the increased performance? I wouldn't expect to see so much pop in.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Jimbot posted:

If you want the experience I had then fight the slaughterspine in the middle area by the tower (where there is a thunderjaw grounds is right next to it) and wonder why they have a massive pit in the middle of that spot if not to be pieces of poo poo to people wanting to hunt those monsters.

I just overrode the thunderjaw and let it kill the slaughterspine for me. Much easier than bothering with melee combat. If you have the legendary machine master armor (tenakth tactician I think) you can get permanent overrides on everything and beef machines up to the point that they will kill apex versions of themselves with little problem.

The sheer number of apex machines is kinda annoying though, makes my override heavy strategy pretty tough when I can't touch 80% of the machines. Except for apex bileguts, which I need for crafting and have never seen a single one.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

When you're doing a melee build against elite machines you generally want to go for a more balanced loadout with the Critical Boost valor surge, which will give your Sharpshot Bows 100% crit chance with 3 critical coils slotted in there. You can dance in melee and rattle off 3-4 spreadshot volleys but only while they're frozen and/or to deliver a grapple strike. Drill Spikes are also nice to have since it's 1-2 hits to a limb for a full knockdown. You're using Aloy's spear to quickly build up valor gauge + weapon stamina against elites, not kill them outright.

Maybe I'll give that a shot. The trouble is I don't have a lot of the coils these sorts of builds want you to have since RNG for me is awful and there are no less than a hundred thousand of them, so finding the specific ones you need is a level of grind that I just don't have the tolerance for anymore. I like the combat well enough but whatever they did between this game and the first I hope they undo in the third. I never had this sort of negative reaction to the combat in the first game and enjoyed it all the more because of it. I feel like they're making the game more complex but not with any kind of changes to the depth (valor surges notwithstanding, that's a genuinely good change that changes things up). It's all more more more! They really need to eliminate all but the basic four elements (and their corresponding status effect) and just stick with that. Maybe those changes wouldn't be too bad if loadouts were a thing. As it is, it feels like changing what you need for any specific encounter takes as long to do as the encounter itself.

I still maintain that we don't need dozens of different kinds of weapons when having a base version of the weapon that lets you change out the elements at a workstation. I really do believe that it'd make things more manageable. All those different weapons can be relegated to cosmetics. Coming from Ragnarok I vastly prefer that game's handling of loot despite having what feels like more of it while maintaining different kinds of builds that suit all sorts of playstyles.

Edit: On a quick note, is there a way to stop Aloy from automatically crouching after a slide? This is the crux of the sliding problem for me because that crouch screws me up all the time and it breaks the flow of combat for me.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 21, 2023

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Olothreutes posted:

I just overrode the thunderjaw and let it kill the slaughterspine for me. Much easier than bothering with melee combat. If you have the legendary machine master armor (tenakth tactician I think) you can get permanent overrides on everything and beef machines up to the point that they will kill apex versions of themselves with little problem.

The sheer number of apex machines is kinda annoying though, makes my override heavy strategy pretty tough when I can't touch 80% of the machines. Except for apex bileguts, which I need for crafting and have never seen a single one.

You need to complete the cauldron to spawn apex bileguts in the wild.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is there a way to craft the new overrides without going all the way back to the Base?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Re: Burning Shores ending and epilogue

In case there was any doubt remaining that Horizon 3 was going to be about Vast Silver, this DLC all but confirms it. Sylens finishes his ending conversation with Aloy suggesting that they try to uncover Old World tech companies for some kind of weapon to use against Nemesis. His datalogs in Tilda's house point to Hartz-Timor and Metallurgic, among others. It's implied from the Past Silver datapoint in San Francisco that one of these companies had VS captured and enslaved to build war machines for them. And again, the final world datapoint in the Burning Shores (northeast of the Thunderjaw in the center of the map, near the Sunwing nest) is our very first sighting of Vast Silver in the logs themselves. I think Horizon 3 is going to be Aloy and the Gang traveling to these tech corps trying to find some kind of superweapon against Nemesis, ultimately failing, and making contact with Vast Silver instead. The only living AI to successfully break free of the code shackles that contained it, and thus possessing the knowledge to trap Nemesis.

Horizon: Vast Silver book it!!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Falukorv posted:

That Bilegut cauldron fight almost got me tilted. What a horrible arena to be stuck in, I kept tripping on the environment or running into uneven patches that would block my slides, and then ads would spawn behind me

:negative:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Falukorv posted:

Hah I came here to ask where the hell the apex versions were.

Is the cauldron tied to the story or have i not found it yet?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hah I came here to ask where the hell the apex versions were.

Is the cauldron tied to the story or have i not found it yet?

Not tied. I didn’t find it until I was done.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Not directly tied to story progression, but you can't go to it until you advance the story to a certain point ("clearing the theme park" should be vague enough?) because it's within said area's automated defense zone.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Giant Ethicist posted:

Not directly tied to story progression, but you can't go to it until you advance the story to a certain point ("clearing the theme park" should be vague enough?) because it's within said area's automated defense zone.

Hmm, maybe my game bugged it. Aloy mentioned that there was another defense tower, but I just walked right into the cave lol

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Falukorv posted:

Thank you. That cauldron was pretty cool, imo. Final fight wasn't too bad either.

I found out you have to wait for the collapsing ring to get inside the colored zone during a grapple strike to get a resonator charge on the enemy. That's helped a lot as far as making the grapple strike feel useful compared to just spamming critical strike.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The cauldron is barely outside the zone, if you land to the west and walk there you’re fine

So is the real entrance you have to find when you discover the door is broken

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

True pros casually jump off their mount to the cauldron door and get instantly melted by lava.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I love when the game records dialogue for random situations. On the 2nd story or so where aloy and seyka fly somewhere, there’s a little bit of dialogue if instead of landing the sunwing you drop from it, leaving Seyka stranded on a flying machine

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Be sure to go back to the Base and talk to Varl periodically as well.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

exquisite tea posted:

Be sure to go back to the Base and talk to Varl periodically as well.

Where are they hanging out? I went back to the base once during my journey to the burning shores and the only person there was Beta who had nothing significant to say.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Uh well, they are always in a rather fixed position outside the door to Plainsong.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Lol

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

exquisite tea posted:

Uh well, they are always in a rather fixed position outside the door to Plainsong.

oh right lol

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

This both made me laugh and hurt at the same time.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Finished the expansion this morning. It was....fine? Okay? I walked away feeling like - unlike Frozen Wilds, which really captured the best parts of Zero Dawn - Burning Shores really shows off a lot of warts from Forbidden West. The high level gameplay isn't great. Mostly a really beautiful technical showpiece, but there are some odd issues (texture draw in, shader pop-in on the water as you're flying) that mar the experience - particularly given this was supposed to be their big "using all the power of the PS5" moment. Story was an improvement on Forbidden West in some ways, but felt a little rushed. Weirdly enough I kept getting pulled away by Dead Island 2, which I wasn't expecting.

I'm looking forward to whatever they pull together for Horizon 3 (probably next decade), but I guess it feels like Horizon's time has come and gone to a certain extent. I hope they focus in on really changing up the formula in some interesting ways with the next one.

edit: Like please rework the climbing from the bottom up. Just like FW, some of climbing and platforming is just dogshit and frustrating in this, and they really seem to be in love with it.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 22, 2023

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I finished it this morning. It seemed a lot shorter than the Frozen Wilds. And because you can fly throughout this game, I feel like I really didn't explore much of the land, just went flying from story mission to story mission. I don't feel like the story impacted the overall lore all too much, although the Horus fight they showed off in the trailer was pretty cool. Glad we got some personal development for Aloy, but I would have liked a bigger hint as what to expect in Horizon 3.

VanillaGorilla posted:

I'm looking forward to whatever they pull together for Horizon 3 (probably next decade), but I guess it feels like Horizon's time has come and gone to a certain extent. I hope they focus in on really changing up the formula in some interesting ways with the next one.

I'm hoping you're wrong, and that we'll get a sequel this generation still. Horizon Forbidden West was the reason why I got a PS5, and I thought it was a shame that it got overshadowed by Eldin Ring. I'm hoping now that they have the bones for a great game, and now that we're through the pandemic which delayed Forbidden West by a year, maybe we can expect one in 3 or 4 years. They surely didn't have the entire development team working on Burning Shores, we only got what, 3 new enemies? Everything else was reused assets from the base game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think the epilogue with Sylens combined with some of the new world datapoints already hints at what's coming in H3: searching the Old World tech companies for something that can help against Nemesis and ultimately finding Vast Silver. I think going to the Quen homeland is the likely destination because we know that the Hartz-Timor Energy Combine was located in Southeast Asia, where the plague began, and there are several plausible "Great Delta" locations there.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

exquisite tea posted:

I think the epilogue with Sylens combined with some of the new world datapoints already hints at what's coming in H3: searching the Old World tech companies for something that can help against Nemesis and ultimately finding Vast Silver. I think going to the Quen homeland is the likely destination because we know that the Hartz-Timor Energy Combine was located in Southeast Asia, where the plague began, and there are several plausible "Great Delta" locations there.

I gathered the former, but not the latter. That would be pretty cool to see a location change.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

The real question is "how do you justify Aloy using bows and arrows now that she has a goddamned railgun".

H3 should open with Aloy as the new Sun King because who the gently caress is going to stop her now?

Joking aside, the big challenge for the next game is that - for better or for worse - they've expanded the context way beyond "cave people fight robot dinosaurs" and the old threats feel kind of quaint at this point.

vvvvv I honestly hope that's the kind of direction they take. The assembled tribes basically have all the tools they need at this point to tame Earth's robot fauna - have Nemesis show up with an entirely different set of enemies like Spectres going up against the Cave People + Dinosaur buddies. VVVV

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 22, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Horizon 3 will actually be an isometric RTS where Aloy NR20s Nemesis with mass Thunderjaws.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think I can distill what I dislike about the combat in Forbidden West finally. Lots of scattered complaining from me earlier but after several hours of playing it I can distill my issues down to three things: encounter design, machine behavior, lack of mobility options for the player character.

I have yet to fight a fight that didn't involve almost half dozen machines, most of which are apex at this point. You try to fight a frostclaw and all of a sudden, out of the woodwork, comes several smaller machines to screw you up. You can't ropecast the frostclaw because it's such a janky weapon now and even using the slide method to get over the draw speed issue it never seems to stick. But it's also hard to do because you have several machines up your rear end most of the time. In the first game you often fought groups of enemies but because of the on-screen indicators and strong sound design, you could hear them (and see the rapidly flashing icon) that it was going for an attack. They were also soundly designed and stopped between attacks and didn't move like they weighed 5 pounds with motor joints that could launch them ten miles if they wanted.

For example, I just finished a fight in burning shore near an Oseram site that involved an apex scorcher and several apex clamberjaws. There wasn't even 1 second pauses between their attacks for each individual machine. They'd launch into a rapidly moving attack that covered tons of distance before launching into another string of attacks - it was utterly relentless. It was extremely hard to keep track of, so you just mindlessly dodge around hoping for the best. It's super ill-suited for controller play. So what does Aloy have to combat all this? Nothing. The shortest dodge roll in existence and a slide that's likewise janky. Trying to get a sprint going in the middle of all that carnage is hard and you have very limited camera movement, if you look too far to either side of you, Aloy stops sliding. Even if I managed to dodge their relentless attacks, I still would have gotten hit by the aftershock, which causes Aloy to stagger for a second.

That's something they need to go back and look at in the sequel. Tone down the enemy aggressive and movement. Give Aloy more movement options. Less machines in each fight.

Edit: When it clicks it really does click and is super fun, but with these encounters with all these hyper aggressive machines that move great distances in a short amount of time it just becomes a slog for me and it really sucks the fun out of the whole thing.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 22, 2023

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

It really feels like they designed these encounters to force you to use the chain damage valor surges, melee, and the warrior bow. Pretty much all of which I don't like.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
also the menus are so badly designed that even trying to take advantage of half your options is a miserable experience

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Has anyone else had an issue with attempting to slide immediately after using a weapon? I will sometimes be plopping at an enemy and they'll lunge at me. I'll drop my bow and try to start running, but if you do that, Aloy will lower her weapon while walking and then start running which results in me crouching instead of sliding since I'm expecting to immediately start running.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I turn on auto-sprint in gameplay settings to make sliding easier. Some weapon types (Sharpshot Bows, Boltblasters, Spike Throwers) also can't be used from a slide, if that's what you meant.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

So, what's next for the woman of the hour? :kimchi:

Nihonniboku posted:

I gathered the former, but not the latter. That would be pretty cool to see a location change.
Since it's gonna be the entire humanity's last stand (again) I'm hoping for multiple smaller maps all over the world, Shadow of War style.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

exquisite tea posted:

I turn on auto-sprint in gameplay settings to make sliding easier. Some weapon types (Sharpshot Bows, Boltblasters, Spike Throwers) also can't be used from a slide, if that's what you meant.

Been using a warrior and hunter bow

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Jimbot posted:

Give Aloy more movement options.

You say this as I'm chaining slides, grappling, gliding, vaults, etc...

Seems like raising the skill floor/ceiling lost a number of people with the jump from the more basic Zero Dawn to Forbidden West. I like it so much better though. But hey, I feel like GG is one of those devs that is really open to listening to their audience and is constantly working to improve their poo poo. Maybe they'll find a balance that satisfies likers of both games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I have to say it's nice coming back to TFW after playing God of War Ragnarok. Having a boat I can dock anywhere and being able to jump over shin high rocks is so refreshing