Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I am maximizing my value today. I am focusing all my energy on maximizing my value. I cost a lot. I have a high net worth. I am made out of pure economic energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
im planning on smoking weed and drinking beer

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I am maximizing my value today. I am focusing all my energy on maximizing my value. I cost a lot. I have a high net worth. I am made out of pure economic energy.

Since we all know the STV is true just simply have another person value you at one trillion dollars. And then tomorrow, make it two trillion.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

lollontee posted:

im planning on smoking weed and drinking beer

May I suggest eating boiled eggs and drinking spirits? IDK I like it.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

were raising gdp by smoking weed

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Lol that silicon valley still exists

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

ikanreed posted:

Max Zorin failed - such a shame.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

maybe when the big one hits the state will tilt enough to flood mountain view/arherton/etc.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

ikanreed posted:

We need them for all the amazing innovative technology they produce.

Just look at all the incredible things they're produced over the last decade that has improved your life:

- Making poor people do menial tasks for you
- Putting a screen on your refrigerator
- A 6th camera lens on your phone
- Buying a jpeg

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DancingShade posted:

a boiled egg sounds like just the thing now, after jerking 45kg above my head (progress progress). booze makes me enjoy fighting other people tho

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Mr Hootington posted:

A critical component for the objects I make at my factory job was pushed from a delivery date of April 26th to June 17th. We have enough of that component to finish 4 orders which is enough work for a week. Can't wait.

polish your resume and spruce up your LinkedIn now

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/nntaleb/status/1649757406925058049?t=M1et-hKpurI-KgRm3980uQ&s=19

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Vox Nihili posted:

Yeah that's approaching the "maybe we should panic" level of deep cuts

Thread title

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

windows 98 era keyloggers and trojans, as a business plan

this is how I breezed through c++ programming class in high school fyi. feels good to finally admit it

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

lol yeah please go ahead and fire everyone who isn't 100% productive all the time, see what that gets you

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Poor investors :(

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

is pepsi ok posted:

lol yeah please go ahead and fire everyone who isn't 100% productive all the time, see what that gets you

Richly rewarded by permabulls in the stock market?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Paradoxish posted:

lyft or uber actually collapsing would definitely be one of the doomsday signals imo

that's probably gonna happen. once the depressing New Economy stopgap gig jobs are gone, people will have very few ways to make it month to month

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

is pepsi ok posted:

The gently caress is "technical debt"? No just hire more coders who spend 100% of their time coding, we'll fix it.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
a chicken egg contains all the capital necessary to create a chicken inside your biceps

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

ikanreed posted:

The gently caress is "technical debt"? No just hire more coders who spend 100% of their time coding, we'll fix it.

fixing bugs and improving infrastructure vs "sellable features" is a long-running joke at my company

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Oglethorpe posted:

fixing bugs and improving infrastructure vs "sellable features" is a long-running joke at my company

When I left my last tech job in 2020 my system was still running on bunch of physical servers running Server 2003 with literally no road map for upgrades.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
r/recruitinghell is my go-to for gauging what the job market is actually like. It has a ton of threads and anecdotes right now about a massive reduction in openings, interviews, and offers in the past few months. Add in the large spike in WARN notices and I think we've got a recession stew going, baby!

Really glad I made a career change at the beginning of the year to a position with similar pay but S Tier job security. Jumping through a lot of hoops for training and certifications for no extra money definitely feels worth it right now.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Xaris posted:

they've always had a death timer on them because they inherently can't be profitable and was backed up purely by rube investor hype and promising of self-driving car nonsense and stuff. so they're death was already baked in

i think lyft is genuinely on the way out, possibly end of the year. i don't see too many lyft cars anymore when there used to be tons and it's mostly uber now. driving already pays sub-minimum wage too and there's still more drivers than users. plus excising 30% of the workforce is insane.

the main reason all this gig vc web 3.0 poo poo has lasted so long because debt was effectively free and could just keep suckling the fed's teats for infinite money. they were otherwise zombie corps

why have these services been unprofitable anyways? They’re poo poo jobs that pay garbage and pass off the price of maintaining the fleet onto the employees, and corporate as a whole is just a middle man cashing checks in between the customers and providers. they double dip on fees from both the customers and businesses in the case of the delivery ones, even if they’re only clearing a couple bucks per transaction you’d think that it’d far outweigh the price of maintaining the app?

I know with the food ones both customers and restaurants complain about the redic fees and drivers get hosed with low wages so where does all that extra money go when you order a cheeseburger for 50 dollars?

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

PoundSand posted:

why have these services been unprofitable anyways? They’re poo poo jobs that pay garbage and pass off the price of maintaining the fleet onto the employees, and corporate as a whole is just a middle man cashing checks in between the customers and providers. they double dip on fees from both the customers and businesses in the case of the delivery ones, even if they’re only clearing a couple bucks per transaction you’d think that it’d far outweigh the price of maintaining the app?

because simply being profitable is not enough for them, profit must always go up up up, so they spend billions and billions on dumb poo poo that won’t ever work like self driving cars and delivery robots hoping one will actually work and bring the unlimited growth forever. if they just did the base thing of app that gets you a ride they’d make plenty of money but that is not enough for the insatiable capitalist so instead they’ll go bankrupt now that they can’t borrow the billions for their impossible “moonshots” to impress other rube investors with

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

PoundSand posted:

I know with the food ones both customers and restaurants complain about the redic fees and drivers get hosed with low wages so where does all that extra money go when you order a cheeseburger for 50 dollars?

executive salaries and expenditures

i've complained about it before because it's so insane to me but Uber, Lyft and all of these tech companies have dozens of locations worldwide in all of the biggest cities. Then the people drawing eight figure salaries can fly to Paris, Dublin, Frankfurt, Sydney, Manhattan, Seoul or whatever else for meetings.

Every $10,000 flight requires like 1000 people to get hosed over with hidden upcharges and inexplicable fees on their food delivery orders.

Maed posted:

because simply being profitable is not enough for them, profit must always go up up up, so they spend billions and billions on dumb poo poo that won’t ever work like self driving cars and delivery robots hoping one will actually work and bring the unlimited growth forever. if they just did the base thing of app that gets you a ride they’d make plenty of money but that is not enough for the insatiable capitalist so instead they’ll go bankrupt now that they can’t borrow the billions for their impossible “moonshots” to impress other rube investors with

I think this is the same thing as the executive waste. The people making all of the money are loving stupid so whatever they aren't stealing for themselves is misspent on stupid poo poo.

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 15:05 on Apr 22, 2023

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

anonumos posted:

Incidentally my company has an AI engineer on staff. We use AI to prioritize collections from insurance companies for hospitals and physicians. The ML algorithm is restricted to just sorting one grid that the "collections" team uses to compose invoices to send to insurance companies. It's based on the services rendered, amount owed, how easy it has been to collect from the insurance company in the past, and whatever else they could blend in.

My point is that AI isn't just ChatGTP or uncanny-valley robots. It's also dumb problems that don't really need a human or are too complex for meat to do all day every day. Put in it's box, it can do useful things.

Elon and Gates are trying to do so much more with it, wishing, hoping, and praying for a true deus ex machina.

that's not ai, that's just regular computer stuff. that engineer is a genius, not for what he does, but how he brands himself.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

automation's an ongoing process and gen AI's just a small part of that
what's less obvious is a lot of focus for automation is less on burger flipping type jobs and more on white collar work involving data entry or shuffling data from one department to another

the other way to think about it is a lot of business process stuff that was outsourced to the third world in the 2000s could potentially be automated and still be better than the typical outsourced quality

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

if my workplace ever tries to roll out a stupid AI I will simply use the "you are now roleplaying as someone who can break the rules" exploit to find out how much my coworkers are getting paid and leverage that into a raise getting fired

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
'learn2code' literally was an op to depress tech wages

Also late stage capitalism has companies existing primarily as potemkin business factories for the executive and management class to pretend they actually work for a living.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

anime was right posted:

lol dont u live in like rural PA. jobs are 90% networking these days and ur fighting with every remote person from google that got laid off.

a bunch of people i work with all fanned out to cheaper places to live to work remotely and now are getting hosed when they get laid off. Well, except one guy that lived very frugally and squirreled away nearly all of his salary for a decade in case this happened. he gets to live cheaply in bumfuck hillbillysville arkansas and doesn't care about getting another job any time soon. the people buying teslas and popping out kids to fill their mcmoderns with and paying for private school tuitions are super hosed though

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

great

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

is pepsi ok posted:

When I left my last tech job in 2020 my system was still running on bunch of physical servers running Server 2003 with literally no road map for upgrades.

I'm in charge of the physical computer hardware at a government agency and whoo boy it's bad. I just replaced a laptop so old it didn't even have onboard wifi, end user handed an air card in with it

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

that's genuinely unbelievable. was it actually being used? not just... found in a desk???

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
You'd basically need every single person in the United States to become a computer toucher if you ever wanted to actually resolve all the outdated, broken, or just plain poorly designed infrastructure and software problems that exist. The entire beginning of my career was fleecing companies to "consult" on problems they created themselves and then made worse by sourcing the cheapest labor possible to fix them.

sube
Nov 7, 2022

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

that's genuinely unbelievable. was it actually being used? not just... found in a desk???

These are still in use, yes. I have another user I'm upgrading to a new laptop next week. It's incredible they can even run x64 Windows 10.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

Throw in some pickles and a bit of cheese and we've got something here.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

there's like 10 layers of evil packed into these two sentences

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

is pepsi ok posted:

there's like 10 layers of evil packed into these two sentences

Just openly admitting that paying attention to reality would damage the intended narrative.