Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should get the next welterweight title shot?
This poll is closed.
Colby Covington 2 3.51%
Belal Muhammad 17 29.82%
Shavkat Rakhmonov 3 5.26%
Matt Serra 26 45.61%
Marius Zaromskis 4 7.02%
Ben Quadrinaros 5 8.77%
Total: 57 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Holy poo poo TKZ fought for the title last year?

The current featherweight champion is one of the greatest fighters of all time in being an all-rounder who is great at literally everything. He's like a smaller GSP. TKZ fighting him is about what you'd think from a TKZ v GSP fight going like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Life was destined to go poorly for Ray Borg the moment his parents decided to not call him Simon.

He just sounds like a pair of lovely headphones as is

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Holy poo poo TKZ fought for the title last year?

he did not do very well op

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Liz Carmouche rules, Jonathan Haggerty punched a man a lot, and I hope Kyoji Horiguchi got to eat a nice meal.

Also as a forewarning, thanks to the various fight cancellations (we're down to 11!) the UFC now starts a half hour later at 1:30. In case you're afraid of missing Brady Hiestand.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Nate doing Nate things https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1649694949972090880

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Holy poo poo was that.... Between Nate's shoulder and his palm?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Looks like a ninja / front naked choke.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Looks to me like the guys head is above Nate's shoulder not under his arm

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CommonShore posted:

Looks to me like the guys head is above Nate's shoulder not under his arm

If you scrub right after Nate throws the knee, you can see daylight between his shoulder and the guy’s neck.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
That dude totally didn’t want to fight and Nate just grabbed him and choked him out.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
https://i.imgur.com/Biu3Rfh.mp4

Not sure if this helps, but made it anyway.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
KNOCK OUT had a not-particularly-notable show this morning, except for that Certified Beast and criminal Panchan Rina was back in the ring continuing her career after her December 2022 arrest for selling the forged Tenshin/Takeru autographed poster to a mark. But KNOCK OUT posted it to Youtube already so you can watch it.

All the details here about which fights to watch here:
https://bocot.substack.com/p/tape-delay-kickboxing-22-marooms

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8dhMF3IqbY&t=130s

How have I never seen this before

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

pro click

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

blue footed boobie posted:

That dude totally didn’t want to fight and Nate just grabbed him and choked him out.

yeah the entire internet going "209 motherfucker 209" over footage of trained fighter Nate Diaz choking out and concrete-dropping a man who is very visibly making the universal sign of 'I do not want to fight you' sure is one of those reminders of why I never got into the Diaz fanbase

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Jesus I forgot how fast this thread moves when there's stuff going on. I gotta remember to check in with you guys every day or I'm gonna just fall way behind again.

What fights should I be excited for this evening?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Shittiest doom map I have ever seen, there were only like 5 enemies and they were all basic-level soldiers

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Apparently the dude Nate choked out might have been a Logan Paul impersonator so I’m guessing this story is going to keep getting dumber

Ringo Roadagain fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 22, 2023

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mckenzitine!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Apparently the dude Nate choked out might have been a Logan Paul impersonator so I’m guessing this story is going to keep getting dumber
instant Milkshake Duck imo

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Anyone wanna bet on tonight's card? I got Bobby Green (-270), Matthew Semelsberger (-105 coinflip) and Christos Giagos (+130) to win, pick one or best 2 out of 3, loser gets this as their avatar until next PPV:

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Gramps posted:

Jesus I forgot how fast this thread moves when there's stuff going on. I gotta remember to check in with you guys every day or I'm gonna just fall way behind again.

For UFC, Carl uses the :piss: rating system to denote what should be good fights. For this one, it's Wells vs Semelsberger, Tavares vs Silva, and Blaydes vs Pavlovich

If you're going to watch Bellator, I'd say Macfarlane vs Watanabe and Stots vs Mix are the top choices

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Gramps posted:

Gervonta Davis vs Ryan Garcia

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Weirdly enough the winner of tonight's main event has a pretty strong claim to be the best active heavyweight in the world, at least til Ngannou gets off the shelf.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4030363&pagenumber=1#post531369525

Back to the GDT for Pavlovich/Blaydes. 30 minutes to prelims.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

"UFC heavyweight finalist"

Brut posted:

Anyone wanna bet on tonight's card? I got Bobby Green (-270), Matthew Semelsberger (-105 coinflip) and Christos Giagos (+130) to win, pick one or best 2 out of 3, loser gets this as their avatar until next PPV:

Lmao what a headshot

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

ilmucche posted:

Lmao what a headshot

Yeah I saw this in the video Lid linked up the page and just immediately had to grab it.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

blue footed boobie posted:

I can't decide if it looks like Diaz clinches with him to choke him after he grabs his hands or if the dude goes to drive him against the wall, its hard to see without the whole video and there's people in the way.

Either way getting into fights without getting paid is dumb and dangerous and bad.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Curtis Blaydes will never fight for a championship, Ryan Garcia will never recover, and Danny Sabatello will get another shot at a Bellator belt before Raufeon Stots does.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:lol: at someone having to tell paul felder to calm down after king green's headbutt.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

I kind of feel that an illegal blow thrown with good intentions, isn't illegal? I'm thinking of jon Jones spinning elbow he landed on Bonnar, which hit Stephen square in the back of the head

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/Actionman513/status/1649936163036368896?t=HRL83Dl5Ma0drS3Kqvh78A&s=19

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Street Horrrsing posted:

I kind of feel that an illegal blow thrown with good intentions, isn't illegal? I'm thinking of jon Jones spinning elbow he landed on Bonnar, which hit Stephen square in the back of the head

Intentions are the difference between a DQ and an NC in the event that an illegal strike leads to a finish.

There are some arcane guidelines on back of the head strikes where they only count as a foul if you're hitting an essentially immobilized opponent. If you throw a strike at distance at a moving opponent and it hits the back of the head, well there's not much that can ben done about that. If you have inside wrist on a turtling opponent....

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Some part of this is also the context of the illegal blow. A spinning elbow isn't an attack that would be inherently illegal in almost any circumstance, but a lot of the things we see semi-regularly--groin kicks, grounded knees, kicks while an opponent is grounded--are at best done as misguided weapons and at worst done without regard for the rules period. In Green's case he was trying to do something legal but he did it by turning himself into a skull torpedo, so, y'know, no one to blame but himself.

Unrelatedly, here's my personal annoyance hot take re: Patchy Mix, which has nothing to do with him doing anything wrong or that knockout not being badass as gently caress: If an interim championship is around long enough to get defended it's deeply silly and if an interim championship is around long enough to get defended multiple times and passed around to different people it's loving stupid.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Patchy is the real champ he better be getting paid like it

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

CommonShore posted:

Patchy is the real champ he better be getting paid like it
he got one million dollars

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Boco_T posted:

he got one million dollars

I mean going forward ofc

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/bjpenndotcom/status/1650297865552494596

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i feel kind of sick watching that poo poo. i really don't like the idea of really hurting a person who cannot defend themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
1) slap league stuff sucks

2) the Greene headbutt was different than the Curtis one because the Greene one led to a tko and the Curtis one didn't. If Curtis had a complaint he shouldn't have answered the bell in the next round. He wanted to keep fighting instead, so it's on him.