Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Sagebrush posted:

that'll be cross-country canada. or perhaps the inferior knockoff, cross-country usa.

it was indeed the usa version. copyright 1985 lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Made me think of Ford Driving Simulator, where you could demo their early 80s range in glorious cga

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Now I'm thinking about Test Drive and Test Drive 2, which let my dad live out his dream of being a rich CGA white guy.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

chairface posted:

in school in the early-90s, 90% sure this was apple ii but maybe I'm off and it was dos, but the "game" was a truck driving sim, but you don't actually drive the truck, just select on a map like I'll pick up this load here and take it there via these roads and I'll speed or not doing it and then there'd be a little animation of how that went. Speeding could get you pulled over and ticketed but despite this being an education thing for schools was still sometimes worthwhile. I think you were specifically doing LTL and had to load/unload things in "order" within the trailer? IIRC most of the "educational value" is poo poo like can you figure out with a map that it's gonna take x hours to go from point a to point b and only accept jobs that are possible

edit: money was also a thing and you had to buy fuel and also plan so as to not run out of fuel

Hey cool thanks for unlocking a buried memory. Not that it was traumatic or anything, I had just totally forgotten this one even though I remembered other Apple II stuff.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I'm pretty sure I played it on 5.25s in the early 90s. The whole trading aspect definitely was a foundation when I eventually got into Escape Velocity

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Cross Country Canada was the ONE good game in our computer lab in elementary school, though we had a later full colour version. We all loved to pick up hitchhikers then turn them in to the police.

gently caress you, Math Circus.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I remember, in grade 4, mentioning that I had cross county canada at home and my teacher being VERY interested in hearing more. And then what feels like a few months later in my mind there were about 4-5 compaq pc's in a bunch of our classrooms, with CCC, except they didn't include the guide for what products can be picked up where.

For a while, I was convinced that I was the reason computers were brought into our school. That is, until logic and reason set in and I realized that the computers were very likely already on the way, and maybe, MAYBE, they decided to go with CCC out of the catalog of available edutainment software because one of the teachers heard from one of their students (me) about it.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Trying to remember the name of a game. Sort of a 2.5D thing about building a solar sail racer and racing across the desert. I don't think it's Far: Lone Sails, this one had much more speed involved. 99% sure I read about it on Rock Paper Shotgun but I'm blanking on the name so I can't find it.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Browser based game, around the windows 98 or XP era. Very generic name like "dragon something".

Had a stamina mechanic where you could only do so much per day, and I remember the first zone being rather green/forest. You could bypass one of the early grinds by choosing a nobility background.

Pretty sure it was all turn based, choose actions from a menu style gameplay.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Vadun posted:

Browser based game, around the windows 98 or XP era. Very generic name like "dragon something".

Dragon Court? Looks like it stopped running some years ago. You may be able to get a similar feel from Legend of the Green Dragon.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Yeah that looks right, thanks

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

magic cactus posted:

Trying to remember the name of a game. Sort of a 2.5D thing about building a solar sail racer and racing across the desert. I don't think it's Far: Lone Sails, this one had much more speed involved. 99% sure I read about it on Rock Paper Shotgun but I'm blanking on the name so I can't find it.

Kind of a longshot but...Sable? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jqWpEHt8lI

And here's the RPS page for it: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/desert-roaming-adventure-sable-comes-out-this-september

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

magic cactus posted:

My first thought was Race the Sun but that's not 2.5D.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

It's not Sable, love that game though

ToxicFrog posted:

My first thought was Race the Sun but that's not 2.5D.

Nah, this was a side-view/sidescroller kind of thing. Thanks though!

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

magic cactus posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/844050/Desert_Child/ isn't a "solar sail" game but seems like it could match your other descriptors?

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Any idea what this game is?

RuneScape? GMod?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The dude appears to be a Mobile Task Force goon from the SCP universe, I'm trying to track down any leads on the throne room but uh, coming up empty so far :shepface:

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I mean at this point it's probably trivial to say "put the mtf goons on a throne from RuneScape" in mid journey or similar.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

jiffypop45 posted:

Any idea what this game is?

RuneScape? GMod?

pretty sure that's a screenshot from Doctor Who

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
From an acquaintance:

quote:

there was this game console my dad and I used to hook up to the tv and play games on when I was like, 5. This was in 2005ish if that helps.

I have no idea what game console it was, I just remember it was like cube shaped but I don’t think it was a game cube

And there were these 2 games we always played, one was you in a ship basically destroying other “alien” ships that’s were made up of green and red orbs

And the other you were some soldier starting out with a knife and you had to make it through these levels fighting russian paratroopers or something

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

pokchu posted:

From an acquaintance:

First one sounds like Bosconian? Second one is almost definitely Rush’n Attack

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
How boxy was it? the sega saturn was pretty drat boxy, but if it was a straight up cube then that's not it. Any idea what the graphics were like? Pixels or early 3d?

edit: were the multipack bootleg systems A Thing then? my memory is pretty spotty through that era.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

pokchu posted:

From an acquaintance:

the Ouya, A Space Shooter For 2 Bucks, and ???

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
"it was arcade games. there were a bunch of them on there but those are the 2 i remember"

Confirmed that Rush'N Attack is the second one. No on Bosconian.

quote:

you flew your spaceship around the green alien thing, but you were always facing it and you basically just had to keep mag dumping it while dodging its attacks or it and as you damaged the orbs they turned from green to red

pokchu fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 24, 2023

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Pogonodon posted:

edit: were the multipack bootleg systems A Thing then? my memory is pretty spotty through that era.

That'd be around the time I got mine, yeah.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
Managed to dig up an answer: https://plugplaytvgames.fandom.com/wiki/Konami_Collector%27s_Series:_Arcade_Advanced

which included the first game, Gyruss

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

A PC game from the 00s, turn based combat. Alternate WW2 setting. Ran like poo poo on computers of the time. Super janky. The gimmick was mech suits that were really powerful.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

bone emulator posted:

A PC game from the 00s, turn based combat. Alternate WW2 setting. Ran like poo poo on computers of the time. Super janky. The gimmick was mech suits that were really powerful.

Silent storm

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

All 3 Silent Storm games loving ruled.
It was the only one doing the "bounce a bullet through a wall, off a nazi's helmet into the face of another nazi" technology until Sniper Elite came along a decade later.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Unrivaled demolition physics, too. To this day, I believe.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Billy Gnosis posted:

Silent storm

Of course it had the most generic title. I played the poo poo out of the demo back then.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

All 3 Silent Storm games loving ruled.

SS, SS Sentinels, and Hammer & Sickle? Or am I missing anything?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pierzak posted:

SS, SS Sentinels, and Hammer & Sickle? Or am I missing anything?

Yes, I meant those 3.

There was also Day Watch and Night Watch. Two games using the same engine, based on a series of Russian urban fantasy novels, but those games weren't that great and IIRC didn't even have the environmental destruction.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

didn't even have the environmental destruction.

Welp. The environmental destruction was half the fun of SS, opening up with a MG on someone trying to ambush you behind a wall, or even flat our leveling half the building with your demo man.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Early 2000's I believe Donald Duck inspired point and click adventure made by a random guy, except all the characters and backgrounds were drawn in crayon in a super creepy and hosed up style and animated weirdly or not at all. I recall it being pretty grim and maybe violent but it was mostly just real fuckin weird. I think Hewie Dewie and Louie were either playable or Donald was

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Songbearer posted:

Early 2000's I believe Donald Duck inspired point and click adventure made by a random guy, except all the characters and backgrounds were drawn in crayon in a super creepy and hosed up style and animated weirdly or not at all. I recall it being pretty grim and maybe violent but it was mostly just real fuckin weird. I think Hewie Dewie and Louie were either playable or Donald was

God I remember this. Your description is very accurate. Seems unsearchable, though, sadly. I think it was Scandinavian in origin?

E: ah, here is it: https://www.bjornarb.com/dduck2.html

E2: as nightmarish as I remember: https://youtu.be/mgtWipCDZbU

Shanty fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 20, 2023

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It's been some years, but I remember Life of D. Duck being a surprisingly competent (and hilarious) point & click game.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
For the life of me I thought Bjørnar B was a lowtax creation. Is he a real guy who ended up having stuff hosted on SA?

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
Goddamn those must have been some good drugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Shanty posted:

God I remember this. Your description is very accurate. Seems unsearchable, though, sadly. I think it was Scandinavian in origin?

E: ah, here is it: https://www.bjornarb.com/dduck2.html

E2: as nightmarish as I remember: https://youtu.be/mgtWipCDZbU

Glorious!! Yeah as you can imagine it's drat hard to search for. Well done, what a trip