Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Captain McAllister posted:

Dude. Slavvy has said multiple times that it sounds like air in the system. Just burp it already before you go further down the well and get tied up about many of the other things it could be.

Eliminate the simplest/most likely, and go from there.

That would entail listening to Slavvy, which some people just can't seem to do for some unknown reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

When you're pretty people think you can't be smart, it's my curse

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
air in your cooling system aside, the multistrada does not do multiple things well, it's just a very competent street bike with solid marketing. I loved mine, minus the usual Ducati issues, but it's just a tall street bike with optional hard bags

good luck offroading it on anything more than a fire road

put an adult passenger on it and try to get a full day's riding in w/o them complaining

take it to the track and see how it does against sport bikes (probably does the best here out of all of these examples)

can it do those things? yes. does it do them well? eehhhhhh

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Dude. Slavvy has said multiple times that it sounds like air in the system. Just burp it already before you go further down the well and get tied up about many of the other things it could be.

I actually appreciate the advice. I asked in a few places in parallel. And I _think_ I might have to pull the fairings, possibly, so checking the cap and bleeding air and exchanging the coolant that is going on 3 years will be all the same thing. I actually am completely unfamiliar with water cooling on bikes, the last time I bled a radiator was when I replaced it in a 92 chevy cavalier when I was like 18 decades ago. Pretty sure it means pulling the radiator cap, which is under the reservoir, and running it for a few minutes.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

You’re the kind of person who yells “Don’t go in there!” during scary movies, aren’t you?

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

ought ten posted:

You’re the kind of person who yells “Don’t go in there!” during scary movies, aren’t you?

No. Actually not a horror fan.

Just tired of refreshing a thread, and seeing a back and forth of advice offered, with the person coming back with many different theories without seemingly having tried what was initially suggested.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just tired of refreshing a thread, and seeing a back and forth of advice offered, with the person coming back with many different theories without seemingly having tried what was initially suggested.

Imagine this but irl and you have my job

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

*jurassic park voice* Welcome..........to the internet

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Symptoms may be exacerbated by the presence of IT Brain, which is a serious but treatable condition.

Is a radiator guard worth the $80-90 it will cost for the Ninja 400 when ignoring the no-name options online? The track I've been doing has a really rough surface and everything gets pelted pretty good. Radiator is fine so far apart from some small sections of bent fins which have been easy enough to straighten out. How common is it for radiator damage to cause serious problems/leaks, how close to farkle territory are radiator guards for a 90% track bike?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's a good idea, although real men use generic mesh poorly ziptied onto the radiator, I suppose you can buy something if you really want to. It's better to have a reasonably fine mesh screen than a semi solid grate with big holes.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Symptoms may be exacerbated by the presence of IT Brain, which is a serious but treatable condition

Still not sure about this tbh

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Oh good idea, I will see what I can dig up. One of the $80 kits I found just uses zipties as the mounting method anyway...

Slavvy posted:

Still not sure about this tbh
Many cases are terminal sadly, but as someone who suffers from frequent bouts I need to believe there is hope!!

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
So I got the bike apart. There was definitely air in the system. When I was draining it, it was flowing steady, then literally just stopped, then spat, started flowing.

Factory or assembly hosed this up.

There's also aluminum filings around the radiator cap...but the coolant looked ok..ish? Very lightly sparkling? Less than the first oil change on a bike. It's almost like the engine was machined out and slapped together without deburring or something. Or dust in the radiator.

I am going to try to do a good job burping it.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 21, 2023

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
3 flushes later it's coming out clean. I'm trying Evans waterless. If it's garbage I'll try Kawasaki's brand or some other generic motorcycle safe stuff. The internet is saying sediment or metal flakes is common but not good or normal? A lot of people seem to think it's coming from cheap radiator manufacturing, or the dealership using bad tap water. The prep stuff hasn't gurgled on the way out, so there definitely was air in there, among other apparent issues.

I'm disappointed...I got a new bike to not have to deal with this kinda stuff.
I am not sure if I am unlucky, or like it's just junk like everything else these days, or if I'm blowing it out of proportion because I don't have experience working on this kind of thing.

Thanks Slavvy as always.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I turned the key too far counterclockwise again and left the sv650 with the parking light lit for a few hours. Bike still starts but it's probably just a matter of time before this feature leaves me stranded with a dead battery in an inconvenient place. Is there a known non-destructive way to disable this function?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I don't know but my old honda had that and I killed more than one battery. Learn to park facing down hill and how to bump start your bike haha

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Yeah I know how to do that already but if it's flat I can't bump start it alone.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Invalido posted:

I turned the key too far counterclockwise again and left the sv650 with the parking light lit for a few hours. Bike still starts but it's probably just a matter of time before this feature leaves me stranded with a dead battery in an inconvenient place. Is there a known non-destructive way to disable this function?

The ignition swich has multiple contacts, one of them is for switching on the parking lights. Pull off that specific wire (or cut it and isolate it in a tidy way) and it's done.
Check the service manual if there's a diagram that shows which switch position connects which wires or terminals. I'm a bit too tired to check it for you right now.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I feel very stupid. I tried to check my oil levels on the cb650 but when I inserted and removed the dipstick it was like one side would have oil on it but the other side wouldn’t. I don’t mean like upper and lower like I would have expected, it was like one side had oil on but when I flipped it over the other side was dry. I did run the bike for a few minutes and let it cool for another few before checking. I also had it on a rear stand so it was level. These are both things the manual says to do. Is that a sign of something being wrong or am I the world’s dumbest man?

Also when I shut it off there was whitish smoke coming out of the tailpipe, like the amount that might come off the end of a cigarette. Is that normal on a new motorcycle? I don’t remember my previous motorcycle ever doing this.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Just wipe it off and do it again if you question the reading. One side of the stick probably has texture so it sticks better. Threads do not go in when checking.

A bit of smoke is normal when starting. Cold day especially. Can be water vapor, but also ECU makes bike run rich on startup for easy starting.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

CongoJack posted:

I feel very stupid. I tried to check my oil levels on the cb650 but when I inserted and removed the dipstick it was like one side would have oil on it but the other side wouldn’t. I don’t mean like upper and lower like I would have expected, it was like one side had oil on but when I flipped it over the other side was dry. I did run the bike for a few minutes and let it cool for another few before checking. I also had it on a rear stand so it was level. These are both things the manual says to do. Is that a sign of something being wrong or am I the world’s dumbest man?

Also when I shut it off there was whitish smoke coming out of the tailpipe, like the amount that might come off the end of a cigarette. Is that normal on a new motorcycle? I don’t remember my previous motorcycle ever doing this.

It is not level when on a rear stand, it is level when it's upright with both wheels on the ground, I find it difficult to believe the manual says to use a paddock stand

It's normal to have only one side of the stick wet because it meets the oil at an angle but I'd say most of your problem is the bike not actually being level

The steam out the exhaust is normal efi things, don't worry about it

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Oh yea of course having it on a rear stand would tilt it a little bit even if it is just a couple inches. Manual just says to place vehicle upright on a firm level surface. What is the easiest way to get the bike level without a rear stand?

Glad to hear the smoke is just efi things.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You could use a human to hold it upright or you could get a front wheel cradle thingy, you drive the front wheel into it and it tilts forwards and locks.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
No no you just crouch on the right side and with one hand precariously hold the brake and balance the bike, and with the other you screw out the dipstick to check the oil.

I’m really baffled by this design, you’re really never meant to check your oil without someone to help you? Not everyone has friends (or wheel chocks) dammit! I got pretty good at the above foolishness and never managed to crush myself but only just barely.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Can you not straddle it and reach down

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

epswing posted:

No no you just crouch on the right side and with one hand precariously hold the brake and balance the bike, and with the other you screw out the dipstick to check the oil.

I’m really baffled by this design, you’re really never meant to check your oil without someone to help you? Not everyone has friends (or wheel chocks) dammit! I got pretty good at the above foolishness and never managed to crush myself but only just barely.

You're meant to go to your authorized Honda dealer where the mechanic rolls it into a work bench and does it for you

A MIRACLE posted:

Can you not straddle it and reach down

Would not recommend

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I think I understand why the sight glass is so popular

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FBS posted:

Going from a sight glass back to the dipstick is a classic instance of Honda thinking they know better for reasons that no one person working there would ever be able to articulate

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

FBS posted:

Actually the vstrom I owned a decade ago had a sight glass quite low on the frame, same thing, must be checked on level ground with the bike upright. Another death defying balancing act.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Slavvy posted:

Going from a sight glass back to the dipstick is a classic instance of Honda thinking they know better for reasons that no one person working there would ever be able to articulate

My 2019 Monkey has a sight glass :smugdog:

The old tech sold as retro once again wraps back around to being awesome

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The only bikes I'm aware of that you check on the side stand are older Harleys

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

just get a front stand as well

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
i imagine this question gets asked often, but I couldn't find an easy answer.

is it okay to ride around on tires that are 1-2 psi below spec? it is kind of annoying wrestling with gas station air pumps every week.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Yes

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

You can also use a bicycle pump.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Does anyone else have problems like cross threading fairing bolts? Like to change the oil on my bike I have to remove a lower cowl. Every time it comes off it feels worse. I'm not like torquing them hard at all. They never felt like they went in right.

It's like the fasteners are aluminum or something.

I don't have problems on the china bike but the kawasaki it almost feels like certain things are meant to be replaced to rack up dealer maint fees.

The bike is back together. Cooling bullshit fixed.

Edit: Half wondering if it's a case of dealer used power tools for assembly. The parts are 20 dollars on partzilla.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 22, 2023

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Toe Rag posted:

You can also use a bicycle pump.

Seriously, do this. They're fantastic, cost like €25 for a good enough floor pump with a nice big gauge that will work forever with no cables or batteries or anything. Works great for cars too but inflating a car tire 0.2 bar is like 20 pumps while on a bike it's four or five. Bike pumps can do at least 8 bars so the much lower pressures of moto tires means you don't even have to push hard.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Seconding bike pumps for at home. But also it depends on the pump. I have one that’s great for presta but just releases the shrader air and is basically useless for moto usage

My noob question is how often should I check my tire levels on a trip. Every day probably right

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

Seconding bike pumps for at home. But also it depends on the pump. I have one that’s great for presta but just releases the shrader air and is basically useless for moto usage

My noob question is how often should I check my tire levels on a trip. Every day probably right

I don't know why this is but they seem to go down less when you're constantly riding the bike, I'd do it like once a week and even then it's probably overkill.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

My psi refuses to go down even when I have abandoned my bike for an entire month. Something about the Rosso 3s maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Does anyone else have problems like cross threading fairing bolts? Like to change the oil on my bike I have to remove a lower cowl. Every time it comes off it feels worse. I'm not like torquing them hard at all. They never felt like they went in right.

It's like the fasteners are aluminum or something.

I don't have problems on the china bike but the kawasaki it almost feels like certain things are meant to be replaced to rack up dealer maint fees.

The bike is back together. Cooling bullshit fixed.

Edit: Half wondering if it's a case of dealer used power tools for assembly. The parts are 20 dollars on partzilla.

I don't know if this will help your problem, but I finger tighten all bolts/screws before I start using any tools. If it's cross-threaded you'll get maybe 2-3 turns in before you feel it. I've never cross-threaded anything as far as I remember