Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Extra row of tits posted:

This is only tangential related, but who the hell else am I going to tell?

This chick I work with who could be considered above me in that one (of my several) tasks is to help her if she happens to need it has asked if I could help her move as she knows very few people in our town. I was willing cause I’m a helpful guy and I know she will struggle otherwise.

She clarified that what she wants is for me to take three days off and travel each of those days to another (nearby) city to help.

Use up three of my holiday days.
Work those days for free.
Travel to another city.

For a chick I’ve worked with 3 times for a total of perhaps 6 hours overall.

I bet she doesn’t even own a printer.

Did she look like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
She’s a lil taller.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

That would be an unreasonable request to make of family.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

She clarified that what she wants is for me to take three days off and travel each of those days to another (nearby) city to help.

Travel to another city.

Man, I wonder what it's like to have enough of a sense of entitlement to ask someone I barely know to do this for me. Must feel nice.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
That's insanely unreasonable. You're allowed to openly laugh in her face and walk away without answering.

:sever:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeah, helping a coworker move some poo poo to their new apartment on the weekend in exchange for a six pack is one thing.

Once you're into "need to take vacation days" you're firmly into "need to get loving paid like the mover you're replacing" territory.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Also, vacation days are vacation days. If someone wants to purchase them it's at least double your paid rate.

Plus expenses.

And pizza with a sixpack, obviously.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Let me put it this way: "Take three vacation days to help me move" would be a pretty huge ask of literal family.

Family you actually like, not just people you feel vaguely obligated to.

And even then I'd be deeply tempted to just cut a check for whatever movers would cost.

edit: I just did a thought exercise for myself of who I would actually take time off to help move. My best friend in the world, a dude I would do pretty much anything for, is probably the best candidate. And even there I think I'd just hire movers and grab a case of beer so we could both sit on his porch and bullshit while watching them do the heavy lifting.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Outrail posted:

I was looking into decent swag options and now I need a new item to beg from donors. What dumb bullshit can I slap a label on that people will actually want to receive? Complication: I can't put the logo on money.
If this is for donors rather than co-workers, I always appreciate the drat tote bags if made of something durable (Trader Joe's has switched to a plastic that degrades in sunlight). I'm still putting groceries in a WGBH tote I got in the '80s, and the bonus is that the swag is out in public and advertising for you. Not glamorous, but genuinely useful.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Cyrano4747 posted:

Let me put it this way: "Take three vacation days to help me move" would be a pretty huge ask of literal family.

Family you actually like, not just people you feel vaguely obligated to.

And even then I'd be deeply tempted to just cut a check for whatever movers would cost.

edit: I just did a thought exercise for myself of who I would actually take time off to help move. My best friend in the world, a dude I would do pretty much anything for, is probably the best candidate. And even there I think I'd just hire movers and grab a case of beer so we could both sit on his porch and bullshit while watching them do the heavy lifting.

Yeah, in the moment I was “I’ll need to check my roster” because it seemed so ludicrous I kind of felt like I was missing some vital point in the conversation. With reflection it’s an incredibly optimistic request at best!

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
How does it take 3 days to move. I don't even care about the ask. I'm boggles by the thought process of yeah it's going to take three whole days of me and this other guy.

It's a dick move to ask someone to help you move and not have everything boxed up and ready to throw in the truck/U-Haul. Shouldn't take 3 days.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
That’s a. Valid point!

I know she currently rents a room in a house with at least 3 or 4 other people.. how much poo poo could she possibly have?

Now I want to do it just to find the answer,

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I've seen adult entertainment with the same plot.

You should do it, OP

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Artonos posted:

How does it take 3 days to move. I don't even care about the ask. I'm boggles by the thought process of yeah it's going to take three whole days of me and this other guy.

It's a dick move to ask someone to help you move and not have everything boxed up and ready to throw in the truck/U-Haul. Shouldn't take 3 days.

Three days isn't nuts if it's only two people and you're counting literally every step. Boxing up all the poo poo for the move can easily take a day, even in a modest apartment. Maybe not if you're a college kid who owns three shirts and uses a folding table as a desk, but once you're an adult with some furniture, both work and casual clothes, etc. plus all your cooking poo poo and just misc. crap you've accumulated over the years? Yeah, packing that takes a while.

For perspective, when I moved out of my first grad school apartment and into the new apartment I was moving into with my then-girlfriend (now wife) I probably had my poo poo packed to go in like two hours. I'd had to restrict myself to what I could fit in a single car when I drove cross-country for grad school, so it was all pretty limited. The last time we moved, 3 years ago? 1100sqft apartment, took us a loving solid weekend to box stuff up, and that was with tackling the small stuff here and there after work over the previous week.

Then a full day to load the truck, move the truck, and unpack the truck. Again, been there done that. It takes a surprising amount of time to load boxes into a UHaul, and if you're not in your 20s any more it's hard, sweaty work that will make you feel like poo poo at the end. Being olds, in the move before our last move we loaded one day, drove and unloaded on another. At our last move we just hired some people who aren't in their 40s to load the truck, did the driving, and hired people on the other end.

And if she expects help unpacking? Yeah, that's another day too.

Moving loving sucks when you're not a college kid who's basically living out of a backpack and a few suitcases.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Well she does own a nurses uniform.. so checks out.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

That’s a. Valid point!

I know she currently rents a room in a house with at least 3 or 4 other people.. how much poo poo could she possibly have?

Now I want to do it just to find the answer,

You are going to be helping pack and unpack, probably. Or the idea is you will need to make multiple trips between old and new place because she didn't rent a truck or anything. If she's living with other people she may have stuff in storage. The possibilities for fuckery are endless.

Outrail posted:

That's awesome but can we talk about an engineer owner who knew how to let go? Can we clone this mf?

Please, I'll take one. We just had an Engineering Manager decide to become both Operations and Supply Chain on a job that resulted in a dozen lost hours for both me and my Operations Lead. All we wanted to do was get a part cleaned at a vendor and this guy decided to do a bunch of the legwork personally, but he conveyed no information beyond "Company X can do the job" and thought that was enough for all of us to work with. Eventually we had to ask him for his point of contact and what he agreed to for us, only to find out that he never sent Company X any information beyond "ultrasonic cleaning for a part about This Big." We're all idiots in his mind because we didn't know what he agreed to for us and needed his help. When the part showed up at the vendor they asked our driver if he also brought operations sheets or a drawing or literally any information on how they were supposed to do this because they had none of that. Result: a unit that had to be ready to go to the customer on Friday is sitting idle at a vendor and I have to be in a call with my boss' boss on Monday morning to run him through what happened. At that point I will have been in this position for a week.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

This is only tangential related, but who the hell else am I going to tell?

This chick I work with who could be considered above me in that one (of my several) tasks is to help her if she happens to need it has asked if I could help her move as she knows very few people in our town. I was willing cause I’m a helpful guy and I know she will struggle otherwise.

Travel to another city.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
So I’m in a weird situation, and not sure what to do about it. I’m now FMLA on Wednesdays, due to depression that has recently gotten worse. The problem is I need a full 40 hours a week to handle everything that gets thrown at me. I was barely staying afloat for a while by going in for 4 hours on Saturday mornings, but now working Saturdays has been discontinued and replaced by doing ten hour work days Monday through Thursday. I can’t really handle 10 hour days. I tend to be 10 minutes late in the morning as it is, and I’m pretty exhausted by 5pm. Am I being an rear end in a top hat by keeping this job? I hate not doing anything properly that I’m being paid for, and my boss is a nice guy who doesn’t deserve to be screwed over. Should I resign with time to train a replacement?

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Domus posted:

So I’m in a weird situation, and not sure what to do about it. I’m now FMLA on Wednesdays, due to depression that has recently gotten worse. The problem is I need a full 40 hours a week to handle everything that gets thrown at me. I was barely staying afloat for a while by going in for 4 hours on Saturday mornings, but now working Saturdays has been discontinued and replaced by doing ten hour work days Monday through Thursday. I can’t really handle 10 hour days. I tend to be 10 minutes late in the morning as it is, and I’m pretty exhausted by 5pm. Am I being an rear end in a top hat by keeping this job? I hate not doing anything properly that I’m being paid for, and my boss is a nice guy who doesn’t deserve to be screwed over. Should I resign with time to train a replacement?

The only reason to resign is because it's what you want or need to do. How nice or not nice your boss is doesn't factor into it.

It might be a good idea to try and find a job that's more manageable for you, but that's something you do to your own timeframes.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

take care of yourself first and gently caress the company imo

do what you gotta do to stay afloat and consider looking for another job. Your boss may be nice but the company sure as poo poo isn't.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah don't fire yourself because you don't feel like you're worthy or something.

That's the depression talking, and it's bullshit.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Chewbecca posted:

The only reason to resign is because it's what you want or need to do. How nice or not nice your boss is doesn't factor into it.

It might be a good idea to try and find a job that's more manageable for you, but that's something you do to your own timeframes.

Edit: misunderstood context.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Escape From Noise posted:

Edit: misunderstood context.

:raise:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Domus posted:

Echoing the above that gently caress no, you should only resign if you have something you feel you’d rather be doing lined up or if you think it would benefit you personally, don’t worry about how it impacts the company at all.

Quitting a job out of some sense that you’re doing the company a favour is a terrible idea, it’s up to them to manage you out the door if they think you’re a detriment. Don’t let your depression drive that decision making by telling you you shouldn’t have your job.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I still absolutely agree.

Itaipava
Jun 24, 2007
If you're on protected leave one out of every five days and they still expect 40 hours worth of work out of you it sounds like that's on them, not you

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

My company is pulling plastic utensils from all the breaker rooms for Earth Day.

They bought us all some super cheap* metal utensils in a little pouch. Cool!

People keep finding metal shavings in them and cutting their mouths on the sharp edges so they're being recalled, lol.

*I bought myself an $8.99 set on Amazon before I knew they were buying some for us, and while it's still a cheap set, and I had to sand the spoon to stop it from scraping the plastic off my yogurt containers, it's much, much higher quality than the stuff the company got us, for instance I could probably bend any piece into a circle with my bare hands with no discomfort.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Cowman posted:

take care of yourself first and gently caress the company imo

My exact employment philosophy. :agreed:

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Wait, it isn't normal to work 10 hours a day during your vacation???

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Elviscat posted:

My company is pulling plastic utensils from all the breaker rooms for Earth Day.

My company implemented a directive that said we can't have single-use plastic cups, plates, or utensils at morning teas and such. Fine, good.
Of course that actually meant that a huge stash of new/sealed plastic items was headed for the trash before I rescued it.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
Companies don't give a poo poo about the earth so much as they do about a tax break for eliminating single use and not having to shell out for them. The next step is putting that in the same bucket as any other office investment, which is laughable. I guess just bring your own poo poo from home? That's what I had to do at one of my old jobs, because the scant amount of cutlery available was either in someone's drawer or poorly washed by whoever used it last.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Alright, I figured it was the depression talking, but it’s hard to tell sometimes. Thanks guys.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Elviscat posted:

They bought us all some super cheap* metal utensils in a little pouch. Cool!

People keep finding metal shavings in them and cutting their mouths on the sharp edges so they're being recalled, lol.

*I bought myself an $8.99 set on Amazon before I knew they were buying some for us, and while it's still a cheap set, and I had to sand the spoon to stop it from scraping the plastic off my yogurt containers, it's much, much higher quality than the stuff the company got us, for instance I could probably bend any piece into a circle with my bare hands with no discomfort.

Spoon is a flat circle

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I guess we’ve started making our own remote plasma sources, and I don’t trust them. Firstly we made them, and I know our build quality. Secondly they draw 50 less amps than the old, name brand ones, and I don’t trust that either.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Check that they're not somehow drawing power from the Hell Dimension.

They're waiting for you, TT. In the test chamber.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Travel to another city.

Well yeah, you're supposed to bring your own, on foot. That's why it's a three day event.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Atopian posted:

Check that they're not somehow drawing power from the Hell Dimension.

They're waiting for you, TT. In the test chamber.

Argent Energy is totally save.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Aww poo poo is remote plasma just the BFG? I’m one of the corpses you find, I’m gonna need to start leaving audio logs, that’s so inconvenient.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
RPC? Got to clean that chamber and the pedestals/shds every now and then!

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Domus posted:

Alright, I figured it was the depression talking, but it’s hard to tell sometimes. Thanks guys.

Bring it up in the thread any time you need a check, or PM someone. You've got an explicit invitation to PM me any time on this.