Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

It's probably going to be injecting drug users. Russia has a big opioid problem and a bad way of dealing with it.

Ah, but what they, a basic tinfoil idiot, fail to realize is that when Willem III van Oranje conquered England in 1689, the UK became legally part of the Netherlands, so therefore there were no sessions abroad and they still have to pay their parking fine.

Yeah you can find some documentaries on krokodil online, it's just one of the street opiates that's ripped through Russia. It's an awful situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

fatherboxx posted:

My sibling in christ, it is 2023, HIV is well past the gay disease stereotype.
But yes it is insanely bad, Russia has been leading Europe in new cases for a long time, with government trying its best to ignore it or state that its just more decadent west propaganda

Not trying to get too far off topic - yes, I'm aware it is not a gay exclusive disease -- hell, I know someone who got it through a blood transfusion as a child -- but per the CDC, supposedly in the US the majority of new cases are still among the homosexual and bisexual community:

In 2019, gay, bisexual, and other men who reported male-to-male sexual contact accounted for 70% (24,500) of the 34,800 estimated new HIV infections and 86% of estimated infections among all men.

I don't know if that's also true in Russia, but
- I certainly get the impression that Russia is very behind the times in terms of legal protection for folks of non-traditional orientations,
- The Russian regime has certainly not shied away from denouncing LGBT rights in Ukraine*,
- The regime seems more than happy to... crack down on its populace for things it doesn't like

With all of those things, I would not be surprised if this was due to a prevalence of LGBT folks in prison. Sad, but not surprised.

* For of course, I also know that may just be Putin looking for anything he can galvanize support with.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 22, 2023

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Nenonen posted:

In Finland two twin brothers and one of theirs fiancee, all three who were candidates in this spring's parliamentary elections, are being suspected of treason. The reason for treason was that they believe Finland is being invaded through underground tunnels and to prove this they have been recording videos around army bases and depots and posting them online.

No no no, the underground tunnels are under the Not-Holy-Roman-Empire and are dug by giant man sized ratman!

Who are also nazi's, but that's besides the point!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Turns out zoomerleaks went for a lot longer than initially thought.
https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1649561761022967821?t=Z_CS6HMV10mtMac5phJX1w&s=19

Draadnagel
Jul 16, 2011

..zoekend naar draadnagels bij laag tij.

Guavanaut posted:

Ah, but what they, a basic tinfoil idiot, fail to realize is that when Willem III van Oranje conquered England in 1689, the UK became legally part of the Netherlands, so therefore there were no sessions abroad and they still have to pay their parking fine.

The best part about it is that it was actually a real legal debate in the 50's how to handle decisions made by the government abroad. So, sort of a kernel of truth, but also solved 70 years ago. They came to the conclusion that the invasion by Nazi Germany could be qualified as force majeur and that the government did nothing wrong in the circumstances.

As always there is probably some small truth in the absolute nonsens people are willing to believe.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I used to think the NSA was worth poo poo, but this Discord stuff hase doubting

Unless it's a limited hangout psyop for that exact purpose of course

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

fez_machine posted:

I gotta ask, why did you leave out the T?

Frankly I doubt that Wagner press gangs recruit lesbian prisoners either.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

I used to think the NSA was worth poo poo, but this Discord stuff hase doubting

Unless it's a limited hangout psyop for that exact purpose of course

Well, NSA isn't the only game in town, by far. The US "Intelligence Community" is comprised of a massive number of different organizations and personnel. There are 18 or so "main" agencies and numerous smaller military, counter-terrorism, homeland security, etc. agencies.

And the recent leak suggests that the US disseminates highly classified and very sensitive intelligence reports very broadly. Hard to keep a tight ship if there's 2 million eyeballs on your top secret reports.
(It's hard to say how many people with TS clearance also actually have access to those kinds of reports, but it would seem to be many.)

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

spankmeister posted:

Well, NSA isn't the only game in town, by far. The US "Intelligence Community" is comprised of a massive number of different organizations and personnel. There are 18 or so "main" agencies and numerous smaller military, counter-terrorism, homeland security, etc. agencies.

And the recent leak suggests that the US disseminates highly classified and very sensitive intelligence reports very broadly. Hard to keep a tight ship if there's 2 million eyeballs on your top secret reports.
(It's hard to say how many people with TS clearance also actually have access to those kinds of reports, but it would seem to be many.)

And none of those two million eyeballs was able to find secret documents swirling around on the internet for over a year.
I think it's less about stopping leaks but more about noticing and finding leaks in time..

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The Belgorod own goal bombing story continues - second, unexploded bomb was discovered, 17 nearby apartment buildings are evacuated (around 3000 people) according to the governor of region

https://twitter.com/ian_matveev/status/1649726112400912384
https://twitter.com/ian_matveev/status/1649727401159532544

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
The joke about NATO not having showed up was no joke

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Somaen posted:

The joke about NATO not having showed up was no joke

We even kinda knew Russias airforce was hosed before 2022. They lost 6 jets, 6 helicopters and a transport in an effort to bomb militias and hospitals with no AA during their Syrian intervention. The whole thing would disintegrate if put under pressure.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

BabyFur Denny posted:

And none of those two million eyeballs was able to find secret documents swirling around on the internet for over a year.
I think it's less about stopping leaks but more about noticing and finding leaks in time..

They're so proud of themselves, they don't even care. They're so fat and satisfied, they can't imagine that someone like me would ever get inside their house, walk their floors, spit in their food, leak their documents.

When Andor aired, I thought that explanation was a little too simplistic and hand-wavy.Turns out, it was perfectly on point.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

fatherboxx posted:

The Belgorod own goal bombing story continues - second, unexploded bomb was discovered, 17 nearby apartment buildings are evacuated (around 3000 people) according to the governor of region

At least they're not blaming the Chechens this time.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

-GBAD is a critical effort presently to protect critical and civil infrastructure from Russian aerial attack (My note: It has, as of this post writing, been an unusually long time since Russia launched a cruise missile attack using their bomber forces or navy. Since last fall, they have generally conducted 1-2 cruise missile attacks per month. It has been well over a month since Russia conduted a coordinated cruise missile attack.)

I can only speculate... but perhaps they're hoarding missiles, waiting for the Patriot battery to show up so they can throw everything at it to try to get the publicity of a kill.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Missiles are expensive, shells are cheap. They're within shell range so no reason to spend missiles.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

I'm no expert, but you'd think that directly above a densely populated city was a bad choice of location to be releasing glide bombs.

It isn't as though Russia is short of mostly empty countryside they could use instead.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Vorenus posted:

At least they're not blaming the Chechens this time.

Kinda weird they didn’t try to blame it on Ukrainian ‘terrorists’. Or was it so obviously a mistake they couldn’t even sell that on Russian tv?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

mrfart posted:

Kinda weird they didn’t try to blame it on Ukrainian ‘terrorists’. Or was it so obviously a mistake they couldn’t even sell that on Russian tv?

It would be bad for the regime to say that Ukraine is now dropping glide bombs on our cities - people would absolutely panic. It's objectively better to admit that it was an accident.

Also this is not the first time that something has happened. At least two Russian jets have fallen in built areas during the war and people have died.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

mrfart posted:

Probably better to blame your own incompetence then make it appears as though your country is so un secured that terrorists can set off bombs in your cities.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Roller Coast Guard posted:

I'm no expert, but you'd think that directly above a densely populated city was a bad choice of location to be releasing glide bombs.

It isn't as though Russia is short of mostly empty countryside they could use instead.

Probably no choice now. There using tactics that worked with the cruise missiles, but they're short now on the missiles, but haven't changed their tactics to adapt for the shorter ranges of the glide bombs. It either means they have to cross into Ukrainian air space to drop bombs or we'll be seeing more and more Russian cities being bombed by accident from the Russian air force.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/apr/22/alcohol-and-prostitutes-wagner-convicts-pardoned-by-putin-return-to-terrorise-home-towns

This article sheds a bit of light on an issue I'd been wondering about for some time: what happens when the surviving convicts that Wagner enlisted return back to civilian society?

It only provides limited evidence, but the answer is unsurprisingly that these violent criminals with PTSD, plenty of money, and a de facto get-out-of-jail-free card will continue being violent criminals, just with impunity now--in part at least because it's officially illegal to criticize Wagner fighters in public or the media. Guess if you're Russian you just have to hope that you don't live near one of these guys.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Young Freud posted:

Probably no choice now. There using tactics that worked with the cruise missiles, but they're short now on the missiles, but haven't changed their tactics to adapt for the shorter ranges of the glide bombs. It either means they have to cross into Ukrainian air space to drop bombs or we'll be seeing more and more Russian cities being bombed by accident from the Russian air force.

It's pretty easy to plan weapon releases so they're not done directly over population centres, it's not a question of glide bombs vs. cruise missiles. If a cruise missile was launched and the motor failed it would fall in a similar way to the failed glide bombs over Belgorod i.e. pretty much straight down. If they launched from a few miles east or west they'd be over minor towns/villages and the chances of hitting them are much lower vs. it landing in a field. These glide bombs landed right in central Belgorod from what I can tell which points to very careless mission planning.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Pilots flying VFR to release point 'yes, fly to the intersection of 3rd and State, at 12000 feet ASL, heading 267⁰, press button' maybe?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If russian military is reduced to vfr pilots then god help everyone

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If russian military is reduced to vfr pilots then god help everyone

Look man, it's hard to get your Garmin eTrex RMA'd with the sanctions.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

quote:

“At around 22:15 Moscow time on April 20, when a Su-34 plane of the Russian Aerospace Forces was performing a flight above the city of Belgorod, an emergency release of an air ordnance occurred,” TASS quoted the Russian Defense Ministry as saying.

If we take this statement at face value then it wasn't a planned release. So either a pilot error or equipment malfunction. Previously it was claimed that a Russian fighter pilot tried to fire a missile but it failed to launch, so equipment could be at fault too, but pilot error or even a combination of the two can't be ruled out - normally there should be safety mechanisms preventing accidental dropping but if that mechanism didn't work properly then maybe the pilot fumbling over controls could have done it.

There's also a possibility that the bombs were released as intended but their guidance mechanism just didn't work as intended. Either way maybe you shouldn't fly over dense population when carrying a bomb load but hey maybe I'm just being overly cautious!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

kemikalkadet posted:

It's pretty easy to plan weapon releases so they're not done directly over population centres, it's not a question of glide bombs vs. cruise missiles. If a cruise missile was launched and the motor failed it would fall in a similar way to the failed glide bombs over Belgorod i.e. pretty much straight down. If they launched from a few miles east or west they'd be over minor towns/villages and the chances of hitting them are much lower vs. it landing in a field. These glide bombs landed right in central Belgorod from what I can tell which points to very careless mission planning.

Then it raises questions why they don't release a few miles west. Like, does the Russian air force have that large of doubts about their own air defense?

These glide bombs have an operational range of 30 miles, maybe 50 miles?! Looking at that, it's definitely more of a risk than shooting off cruise missiles from the Urals, given that Kharkiv is about 30 miles away from the Russian border. They're releasing around Belgorod at the absolute extreme range of those bombs to avoid Ukrainian air defense.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You’re assuming a deliberate release at that point rather than equipment malfunction or pilot error, which is quite an assumption.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I think it's extremely optimistic to assume anyone on the Russian side even considered the possibility of an accident during the mission. They just drew a line on the map that they felt gave them the best chance of hitting their intended target and let loose, who cares what's on the ground under the plane, that's not where the bomb is going!

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You’re assuming a deliberate release at that point rather than equipment malfunction or pilot error, which is quite an assumption.

Pilot error insofar as the pilot deliberately doing the multiple tasks necessary to release a weapon without actually intending to release a weapon is a lot less likely than you'd think. Equipment malfunction is flat out not a realistic cause, similar to the missile launch near the NATO surveillance plane last year we had people arguing about and predictably turned out to be intentional.

Pilot error meaning "dropped the bomb in the wrong place" is definitely possible.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Warbadger posted:

Pilot error insofar as the pilot deliberately doing the multiple tasks necessary to release a weapon without actually intending to release a weapon is a lot less likely than you'd think. Equipment malfunction is flat out not a realistic cause,

Equipment malfunction in the sense of "it was supposed to use wings and glide, but it fell like a rock" is totally possible. Or "guidance failure," which can and has put bombs miles off target. One of the most infamous examples of the latter was a UK flight trying to hit a bridge, but guidance failure put two bombs squarely into a civilian marketplace.

Otherwise, accidental/negligent weapon release is rare, but it happens. A NATO air patrol fired an AMRAAM into a baltic nation a few years back. I've been at an airfield where everything shut down because someone screwed up and plopped live munitions directly out of their aircraft and onto an operational munitions handling area. I was also at an airfield where a pilot practicing emergency landings actually punched off his fuel tanks, which then went bouncing into a public street.

AMRAAM:
https://theaviationgeekclub.com/pilot-error-to-blame-for-accidental-firing-of-aim-120-over-estonia/

Russians accidentally firing at Russian onlookers during a flyby/demonstration:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/19/russian-helicopter-accidentally-fires-rocket-onlookers-zapad-war-games

A-10s accidentally drop training bombs near highway in Florida:
https://people.com/human-interest/air-force-bombs-florida-training-accident/

US F-16 accidentally drops training round on civilian property in Japan
https://www.aerotime.aero/articles/24173-usaf-f-16-accidentally-releases-dummy-bomb-in-japan

quote:

The Japanese defense ministry lodged a complaint with the U.S. military over the incident. “The dropped object is quite heavy and it must not happen.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

Equipment malfunction in the sense of "it was supposed to use wings and glide, but it fell like a rock" is totally possible. Or "guidance failure," which can and has put bombs miles off target. One of the most infamous examples of the latter was a UK flight trying to hit a bridge, but guidance failure put two bombs squarely into a civilian marketplace.

Otherwise, accidental/negligent weapon release is rare, but it happens. A NATO air patrol fired an AMRAAM into a baltic nation a few years back. I've been at an airfield where everything shut down because someone screwed up and plopped live munitions directly out of their aircraft and onto an operational munitions handling area. I was also at an airfield where a pilot practicing emergency landings actually punched off his fuel tanks, which then went bouncing into a public street.

AMRAAM:
https://theaviationgeekclub.com/pilot-error-to-blame-for-accidental-firing-of-aim-120-over-estonia/

Russians accidentally firing at Russian onlookers during a flyby/demonstration:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/19/russian-helicopter-accidentally-fires-rocket-onlookers-zapad-war-games

A-10s accidentally drop training bombs near highway in Florida:
https://people.com/human-interest/air-force-bombs-florida-training-accident/

US F-16 accidentally drops training round on civilian property in Japan
https://www.aerotime.aero/articles/24173-usaf-f-16-accidentally-releases-dummy-bomb-in-japan

Congratulations, you've just listed a bunch of cases where people did all the things necessary to launch a weapon, causing a weapon to launch in what amounts to "dropped the bomb in the wrong place", plus one extra-not-applicable "intentionally fired live munition they thought was an inert practice munition". You made the exact same bad argument last year with regards to the shot taken at the aforementioned NATO surveillance aircraft.

A technical issue causing the bomb not to glide is possible - though still extremely poor mission planning dropping glide bombs over a city and probably not explaining the FAB-500 with no glide kit sitting in the ditch.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Warbadger posted:

Congratulations, you've just listed a bunch of cases where people did all the things necessary to launch a weapon, causing a weapon to launch in what amounts to "dropped the bomb in the wrong place", plus one extra-not-applicable "intentionally fired live munition they thought was an inert practice munition". You made the exact same bad argument last year with regards to the shot taken at the aforementioned NATO surveillance aircraft.

Your original post was misleading and was backed up by zero evidence. I provided real world examples that give people a better understanding of aviation mishaps with regards to unintentional weapon release or weapon release that lands somewhere other than intended.

Don’t get snippy just because I provided readers with real world examples.

E: Addittionally, it's been a long time, do you have a link to what you are talking about, since you are calling out some post you say I made about the AWACS incident from six months ago or something?

And you should read the articles. One of the ones I linked is explicitly about a mechanical failure causing weapons to drop and not at all about a pilot trying to drop bombs, but missing:

quote:

an A-10C Thunderbolt II fighter jet out of Georgia’s Moody Air Force Base hit a bird and the collision sent three BDU-33 dummy bombs out near a highway, the 23rd Wing Public Affairs Office announced.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 23, 2023

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Nenonen posted:

That was always a myth, tbh. It was apparently popularised in the 1970 film Patton where it was claimed that German tanks ran on diesel and American tanks on gasoline, which made them prone to catch fire.

In reality German tanks, such as the Tiger, had gasoline engines. There were gasoline and diesel variants of Sherman, iirc the diesel ones went to the Pacific and Russia. T-34 ran on diesel. The anti-armour weapons used in WW2 were totally sufficient at creating enough heat at penetration to ignite diesel. I'm sure there were marginal cases in which diesel wouldn't have ignited but petrol did, but WW2 tanks had already so much armour that anything that was used to penetrate them had to carry a lot of energy, be it kinetic or chemical.

Old post I know, but the old diesel vs. gas goes even further back. Equipment reports in WW2 kept mentioning that soldiers and officers wanted diesel engines instead of gas (i.e. M4A2s instead of the other variants) because said soldiers believed the gas flammability myth. Funny thing was that when diesel vehicles like the M10 tank destroyer showed up in the Africa/Europe theater, command loving hated them because they needed their own bespoke supply line. You can find books about vehicles pre-WW2 that contributed to the misconception because of mechanics doing stuff like the cigarette trick. Even today, gas companies that deal mainly in diesel will try to twist words to make diesel practically sound like a fire retardant.

I wrote a small snippet of my thoughts on the T-series tanks both Russia and Ukraine are using, but generally the problem with the design that Russia has been using since basically the T-54 is its limit in overall design. The T-64 (and by extension, the T-72 and T-80) was so built around its autoloader at the expense of everything else that there's nothing it could do to really stand up against more modern adversaries. The T-64 was ahead of its time when it was adopted, but there have been severely limiting factors (which even the designers acknowledged), and its overall design keeps it from being able to properly modernize.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

spankmeister posted:

This is a result of a "whole of government" approach after 9/11 which resulted in (warranted) criticism of siloed information unavailable for analysis by other agencies.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

Your original post was misleading and was backed up by zero evidence. I provided real world examples that give people a better understanding of aviation mishaps with regards to unintentional weapon release or weapon release that lands somewhere other than intended.

Don’t get snippy just because I provided readers with real world examples.

E: Addittionally, it's been a long time, do you have a link to what you are talking about, since you are calling out some post you say I made about the AWACS incident from six months ago or something?

And you should read the articles. One of the ones I linked is explicitly about a mechanical failure causing weapons to drop and not at all about a pilot trying to drop bombs, but missing:

You linked real world examples that either lined up with what I already stated was the likely cause or had no relevance to the discussion. You linked an AMRAAM launched by a guy who thought he had a dummy weapon onboard and got a surprise when it actually fired off the rail after attempting to launch it, a pilot firing rockets into the wrong part of a firing range during a live fire demonstration, an A-10 hitting birds resulting in a trio of little training bombs dropping off, and a guy who lobbed a bomb off a training range.

Examples 2 and 4 are literally dropping the bombs/rockets in the wrong place, which I covered in my post as a likely cause. Example 1 is a guy intentionally launching a thing he thought couldn't physically be launched off his aircraft, which doesn't seem to conflict with my post and doesn't really seem applicable to a discussion regarding live ordnance in a warzone. In example 4 the article explicitly says they don't know how it happened and an investigation had been launched. Even assuming a mechanical issue as the cause you're still trying to compare an 11kg cast-iron training bomb with a single suspension lug to an actual 500KG steel bomb with multiple suspension lugs. It doesn't seem "realistic" that this Su-34 hit something mid-flight substantial enough to break a 500kg bomb off a pylon, particularly given this occurred during a combat mission in a warzone during which the pilot would be intentionally dropping it.

You also mentioned "it was supposed to use wings and glide, but it fell like a rock" and "guidance failure" as potential causes. Both seem rather unlikely given we've got a photo of one of the bombs and it's an unguided FAB-500 with no glide wings or guidance package strapped to it.

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

I wrote a small snippet of my thoughts on the T-series tanks both Russia and Ukraine are using, but generally the problem with the design that Russia has been using since basically the T-54 is its limit in overall design. The T-64 (and by extension, the T-72 and T-80) was so built around its autoloader at the expense of everything else that there's nothing it could do to really stand up against more modern adversaries. The T-64 was ahead of its time when it was adopted, but there have been severely limiting factors (which even the designers acknowledged), and its overall design keeps it from being able to properly modernize.

With regards to the T-64, the design was ahead of its time when it was adopted. On paper. In reality it was an unreliable hot mess that very nearly got the axe because the Red Army loving hated it. A lot of its issues, including the autoloader problems, come down to having to get super creative to cram everything into a such a small package. Small tank with a big gun? Welp, it's completely full of ammo and propellant now. Autoloader made as compact as possible in a compact tank? Hope you didn't ever want to load longer ammunition! Want your little tank to have lots of engine power? Enjoy your miniaturized diesel engine that breaks down all the time. Even the whole reliance on ERA thing from the 80's comes down to running out of space/weight on the chassis.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 23, 2023

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Just to point out: these are not factory munitions. These are existing bombs with a shop made packaged mounted to them.

The range is very short and the accuracy at best minimal. The Russians are not willing to risk shoulder fired AA either. Downtown Belegrod sits in a little peninsula of Russia proper right next to Kharkiv, right at the last spot you would want to be going straight if you didn't want to be making your turn over threatened airspace.

The compromises they were forced to accept made them need to adapt 1.5 ton bombs into gliding weapons and launch them over a populated area. Any number of things could have gone wrong, the Russians are never going to disclose which one, even if they know themselves.

Barrel Cactaur fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 25, 2023

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Maybe we are talking past each other. I think there is insufficient evidence to make a call on why the bombs fell.

Potential reasons include:
Mechanical mishap caused separation of ordnance.
Crew error (dropping at all)
Crew error (chose to drop, but dropped wrong)
Mechanical erro (crew dropped correctly, but ordnance failed in some way)

No one ITT knows; it’s all guesswork.

The shot at the RJ is similar. No one knows ITT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Just to point out: these are not factory munitions. These are existing bombs with a shop made packaged mounted to them.

I know. The one photographed almost fully dug out of the mud in Belgorod had no visible additions (fins, wings, etc.) or marks to indicate they had been removed. Looks like a plain old FAB-500.

mlmp08 posted:

Maybe we are talking past each other. I think there is insufficient evidence to make a call on why the bombs fell.

Potential reasons include:
Mechanical mishap caused separation of ordnance.
Crew error (dropping at all)
Crew error (chose to drop, but dropped wrong)
Mechanical erro (crew dropped correctly, but ordnance failed in some way)

No one ITT knows; it’s all guesswork.

The shot at the RJ is similar. No one knows ITT.

Fair enough.