Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Torrents of :words: is a Star Citizen staple, true, along with the attitude that you couldn't possibly have an opinion worth considering unless you have watched three dozen eight-hour youtube videos and how dare you forget that thing :trustme: said six seven eight years ago and and and

It's the "crying wojak with smug/smiling mask" - in word form! because there's no game and never will be also no refunds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Every time I try to read a monocle cat post I just enter a fuge state.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
um it's fugue state ackcheloi and in star citizen your spaceman will ackcheloi enter a fugue state in some circumstances cos fugue states are ackcheloi in the game well not yet but it's coming ackcheloi we just have to wait for piss-entertainment-streaming to come on-stream which is already in the game ackcheloi it's just not enabled yet because you have copper pipes in your house but it's gonna happen in ninety days two weeks tops you would know this if you paid attention at all you peasant also jared huckleberry told me when i asked ackcheloi

-- monocle cat, probably.

That's him, that's what he sounds like. Sorry, I've had a rough few days, roll on the weekend.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Sandweed posted:

Every time I try to read a monocle cat post I just enter a fuge state.

This is me, I try sometimes but everything gets foggy and suddenly I have scrolled past the post lol.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Sometimes I try out of respect for the hard work the Mirificus bot does for us, but it's so hard.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
sound
https://i.imgur.com/60pdLkb.mp4

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Been playing Everspace 2, and no joke, the graphic fidelity blows Star Citizen out of the water.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I said come in! posted:

Been playing Everspace 2, and no joke, the graphic fidelity blows Star Citizen out of the water.

To be fair, SC is 10 year old graphics running on a 15 year old console engine. Its visuals are meant to look good on an PlayStation 3.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Tippis posted:

To be fair, SC is 10 year old graphics running on a 15 year old console engine. Its visuals are meant to look good on an PlayStation 3.

Which they don't. Chalk up another win for CIG!

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Lucky for them that their supporters are completely unaware of any technological progress or development since 2013 unless it somehow relates to Frontier.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I think SC looks good though? He ships and environments and lighting look good.

What should it look like in comparison?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Like, the graphics are better than NMS, on par with (or even slightly better than) Elite, and just as well with Star Wars Squadrons. I don’t see a drastic difference with the X series either. Also any Mass Effect.

As far as space sims go, I don’t know what your comparison is or how it is poo poo.

Starfield will probably set a new bar.

Genuine question. Not trying to be a sycophant at all. I just checked this game out during the free trial week.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 22, 2023

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The true believers are convinced it’s photorealistic and the best looking game ever made, that’s where the disconnect is.

It looks ok.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

History Comes Inside! posted:

The true believers are convinced it’s photorealistic and the best looking game ever made, that’s where the disconnect is.

It looks ok.

Ah. Yeah, nah. It is indistinguishable at best with other games. Like, a screenshot of this game vs. elite would only be discernible if you knew the HUD or some of the station.

It isn’t poo poo though.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

dialhforhero posted:

Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔?

Yes.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

dialhforhero posted:

on par with (or even slightly better than) Elite

Buddy, that game is 8 years old

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

dialhforhero posted:

Ah. Yeah, nah. It is indistinguishable at best with other games. Like, a screenshot of this game vs. elite would only be discernible if you knew the HUD or some of the station.

It isn’t poo poo though.

The space stuff looks fine, pretty good even, although not any better than many modern space games.

The on-foot areas are a different matter though, particularly some of the stations. They DO look like poo poo, at least compared to any high budget game of the past 10 years - which is exactly what CIG and the whales want to compare them to. When Cyberpunk 2077 was coming out, there legitimately were SC fans scared it would steal their thunder.

Some of it is bad art direction, some of it is bugs, some of it is the weird uncanny valley models. It just adds up to kind of a mess. They'd be better off sticking to the space game part, but they're committed to the whole life sim thing now.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Some of it is bad art direction, some of it is bugs, some of it is the weird uncanny valley models. It just adds up to kind of a mess. They'd be better off sticking to the space game part, but they're committed to the whole life sim thing now.

The bugs don't help, certainly, but they mostly the reason it looks silly once you go beyond static screen shots.

The uncanny valley is most likely a result of Chris' “no cheats” delusion: by not employing standard rendering techniques and shortcuts to generate — or more commonly imply detail and optical/visual effects — they instead choke the rendering pipeline with useless junk based on the notion that all those tiny “real” details will also make it look real, but they still have to pragmatically limit how much detail they push through. So the end result is that in pursuing some hypothetical “fidelity-making” detail level, they have to limit the amount of detail and also aren't allowed to compensate in any practical or sensible way. Everyone else does. So everyone else manages to provide more fidelity (if they so choose…).

Art direction definitely ruins the look since it is ultimately dictated by a man with no imagination, who just want to see This Cool Thing He Saw™. So it only ever ends up bland, derivative, unimaginative, and even then only weirdly focused on specifics, not on creating a comprehensive whole with all the gaps filled in. It's just “there should be fast food… like hot dogs, and maybe a vending machine”, so there are hot dogs and a vending machine. But no special sale on a one-time shipment of off-brand Ganymedian soy chips, no half-used nanofibre napkins, not even chopped flarn as a topping alternative. Again, there is no detail, not as in lots of high-res texture and assets, but as in decorative debris and clutter.

And perhaps more problematically, even if there were, there is no cohesion to it. NMS may have a more cartoony style, but that's just it: it has a style, and it sticks to it. Even within that style, it manages variety and alien:ness, without it becoming a disjointed mess. With all the Cool Things Chris Saw™ crowing for attention, none of them are made to fit in a shared world — it's just a [whatever the boss said] made pseudo-futuristic by adding more greebles. Of course, those greebles then add the pointless kind of detail that reduces the margins where actual, relevant world detail could be put in instead. The anti-design keeps tripping over itself and an endless downward spiral.

And of course, on top of that, the engine is just antiquated at this point. It could be made to work with a design sensibility and art direction that matched its era, but that's not what they're going for any more — if ever. They're locked into this one path of wrong-detail, no-cheat, brute-force rendering without the aid of (and by actively eschewing) the quality- and/or performance boosting tech that has arrived in the last decade, and for which GPUs are increasingly optimised.

Outdated, undirected, uneven, and outright wrong-headed design makes for an… interesting visual mix.

Maybe they could save it by going all in on that route and just start competing with Cruelty Squad. :haw:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tippis posted:

And perhaps more problematically, even if there were, there is no cohesion to it. NMS may have a more cartoony style, but that's just it: it has a style, and it sticks to it. Even within that style, it manages variety and alien:ness, without it becoming a disjointed mess. With all the Cool Things Chris Saw™ crowing for attention, none of them are made to fit in a shared world — it's just a [whatever the boss said] made pseudo-futuristic by adding more greebles. Of course, those greebles then add the pointless kind of detail that reduces the margins where actual, relevant world detail could be put in instead. The anti-design keeps tripping over itself and an endless downward spiral.
Not to put too fine a point on it, but having a sense of style and carrying it through is much better than any amount of fidelity.

I think for me the most obvious demonstration of this is the very well-done remake of Deadspace by Motive Studio - they preserved all of the style of Deadspace, while adding all their own greebles (which are very much a Motive thing, as it's used even in their logo) and making them blend in to it so well that it looked like it'd always been part of it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tippis posted:

Art direction definitely ruins the look since it is ultimately dictated by a man with no imagination, who just want to see This Cool Thing He Saw™. So it only ever ends up bland, derivative, unimaginative, and even then only weirdly focused on specifics, not on creating a comprehensive whole with all the gaps filled in. It's just “there should be fast food… like hot dogs, and maybe a vending machine”, so there are hot dogs and a vending machine. But no special sale on a one-time shipment of off-brand Ganymedian soy chips, no half-used nanofibre napkins, not even chopped flarn as a topping alternative. Again, there is no detail, not as in lots of high-res texture and assets, but as in decorative debris and clutter.

Definitely agree with the art direction. everything just looks so generic and boring. But in general I think the graphics for star citizen look totally fine (Other than the glichy stuff, but that always seems like it's the physics engine just utterly breaking so not really a graphics thing). If a game with good gameplay came out with similar graphics I certainly wouldn't be complaining about it. Haven't heard the music really but I assume that's probably generically decent as well.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It also puts another nasty twist on the whole issue of what did x00 people even do for the last 13 years?

Any time we've gleamed any kind of breakdown, even on a rough estimate level, of the people employed at CI¬G, it skews heavily towards the artistic side. The lack of progress is often explained by their relative lack of actual software developers and/or their juniority.

But would it help if they had more? Because looking at all those artists and creative types, the question starts to fester: where is the creativity and artistry? It can't be a numbers issue, and even if it were a matter of experience and quality, the sheer numbers alone would let the occasional gem slip through. And yet, no. There's this distinct feeling that whatever creativity and artistry must exist, by sheer statistics if nothing else, is almost actively snuffed out. Turn that pixel blue, and all that noise.

But of course, we're also dealing with the code whisperer who's rumoured to reprogram the physics system on his own at night. What are the odds that any creativity and problem-solving competence that might accidentally exist within the coding cadre is equally snuffed out for similar reasons…?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

dr_rat posted:

Haven't heard the music really but I assume that's probably generically decent as well.

I don't remember the music in game being notable when I tried a free fly, other than Star Marine having this constant kind of weird meandering synth ditty that didn't fit the action at all.

And of course there's Full Burn, lol

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Star Citizens graphics would be acceptable if the game was good, the aesthetic is awful but if the game was fun you could look past it. The issue is the game runs like poo poo and is a huge resource hog for how mediocre it looks and it's not fun.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Popete posted:

Star Citizens graphics would be acceptable if the game was good, the aesthetic is awful but if the game was fun you could look past it. The issue is the game runs like poo poo and is a huge resource hog for how mediocre it looks and it's not fun.
Oh yeah, aestetics / style isn't the only thing that can carry a game.

Dwarf Fortress, up until the Steam release, proves that much. And the Steam releases numbers prove it even better.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I actually love the DF ASCII aesthetics though, which just kinda shows fidelity doesn't make a game.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I remember when World of Warcraft was first released, and there were a ton of computer geeks complaining the graphics were poo poo and it looked like a cartoon.

I didn't care because it was so much fun. And neither did millions of other people.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Did they put procedural generated birds in yet?

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Tippis posted:

It also puts another nasty twist on the whole issue of what did x00 people even do for the last 13 years?

Any time we've gleamed any kind of breakdown, even on a rough estimate level, of the people employed at CI¬G, it skews heavily towards the artistic side. The lack of progress is often explained by their relative lack of actual software developers and/or their juniority.

But would it help if they had more? Because looking at all those artists and creative types, the question starts to fester: where is the creativity and artistry? It can't be a numbers issue, and even if it were a matter of experience and quality, the sheer numbers alone would let the occasional gem slip through. And yet, no. There's this distinct feeling that whatever creativity and artistry must exist, by sheer statistics if nothing else, is almost actively snuffed out. Turn that pixel blue, and all that noise.

IIRC one of the first high-profile departures from CIG did so complaining publicly that basically all art assets they created could only be approved by Chris, and Chris always took forever to get around to looking at them and invariably sent them back to be redone (usually in some way that he apparently didn't even remember asking for the next time it was submitted to him, so he'd send it back again, etc., etc., lather, rinse, repeat). So, yes, any attempt to be creative or create any kind of artistic theme is being strangled at the top and replaced with whatever daft "leadership is telling your employees to do it again, but better" notion is currently dimly sparking in the chief clown's brain.

I feel like the answer to "what did people at CIG do for the last __ years?" is always going to be some mixture of "the same thing, over and over, with minor changes" and "attempt and fail to get an actual game feature working." At least until they reach the stage where it's all about looking busy while stealing office supplies, trying to get a job somewhere else, and/or loving around on company time.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

dialhforhero posted:

Also any Mass Effect.

I'd certainly hope; you do realize you're citing a game series with releases from six, eleven, thirteen, and sixteen years ago.

The benchmark shouldn't be the PS3, or a budget title for the PS4 (Star Wars Squadrons was part of a cheap games push by EA and even released free for PC on Amazon Prime in 2021).

Star Citizen's business strategy really does rely on people who haven't actually seen video games in years and think each one should take 15 years and four studios to develop.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I guess my comment was directed at the space sim genre in general or at least something visually similar (such as a battlefield series—the latest Star Wars Battlefront reminds me a lot of this game too).

It would be unfair to compare it to, say, Sea of Thieves and its beautiful water and lighting, or anything on Unreal 5 so far (which is probably where the game should be migrated to at this point).

To call this game looking like “poo poo”, though, is a bit hyperbolic.

The reality is there aren’t very many space sims out there, and the ones that are have a lot of years behind them now, so if you can call Star Citizen “poo poo” the I would assume that virtually all other space sims are “poo poo”.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 22, 2023

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

dialhforhero posted:

I guess my comment was directed at the space sim genre in general or at least something visually similar (such as a battlefield series—the latest Star Wars Battlefront reminds me a lot of this game too).

It would be unfair to compare it to, say, Sea of Thieves and its beautiful water and lighting, or anything on Unreal 5 so far (which is probably where the game should be migrated to at this point).

The reality is there aren’t very many space sims out there, and the ones that are have a lot of years behind them now, so if you can call Star Citizen “poo poo” the I would assume that virtually all other space sims are “poo poo”.

It looks like poo poo. OP.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Star Citizen is visually an ugly and uninspired game. Performance and optimization is god awful and unplayable, and the art direction is boring as poo poo and makes the game look like its using generic art assets that you get from Unreal engine or Unity. The lighting and shadow effects are very dull and used in a very generic way, and make the game look awful, and do nothing to bring about any immersion. Something No Man's Sky, and Elite Dangerous don't have a problem with.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

CIG and the SC super fans have been beating themselves off over how amazing the graphics are for 12 years now; plus the performance is absolute poo poo for the level of graphical fidelity, and it’s been that way since the very first demo. The whole thing is a farce that has consumed millions of dollars and work hours.

So I don’t know, I guess it fair to make fun of it? Sorry we aren’t like enlightened centrists about the graphics or something after a decade plus.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

dialhforhero posted:

Comparing this to Battlefront specifically is way off base, the EA Battlefront games were some of the most graphically impressive games I have ever played when they launched. Star Citizen doesn't even come close.

This is a Star Citizen river that took them like 3 years to put in.

Sorry I hate getting into "X game looks better!" arguments because it's subjective and a bad way to judge a game but because Star Citizen is also just a bad game it can't even stand up on graphical fidelity.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Nah make fun of it. I certainly did and do. I tried it during the free week and some of the dumbest glitches in basic poo poo (like waking up in bed) were broken.

Over a decade of dev and it still isn’t solid in the core creature comforts and essentials to like, take off or land, is dumb as gently caress.

But the game doesn’t “look like poo poo” is all I am saying.

I realize I have already “lost” any part of the discussion and am not trying to die on any hill but I feel like making fun of people who pledged $225 on the proto-NFT that is an internet space ship is a better target vs. the mediocre but serviceable graphics.

Also lol at saying Elite is any better in graphics and optimization and completeness. Like, have you even ever played Elite?

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016
Store Citizer's verisimilitude is also greatly impacted by it's appalling frame rate.

While the graphics are acceptable for a 2010 engined game, 4fps on said engine is not.

Elite just sits at 144fps with freesync on, never moves. Somehow they figured out how to cull and spin up dynamic shards without Robert Space's ground breaking server meshing technology. They probably reverse engineered CInoG's tech before they invented it, somehow.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

dialhforhero posted:

Also lol at saying Elite is any better in graphics and optimization and completeness. Like, have you even ever played Elite?

:psyduck:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Uh Elite is a good if dated looking game that is very stable and playable? It was also released in 2014.

It's grindy as hell and I haven't played it in years but I don't really remember ever having performance issues with it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

dialhforhero posted:

It's from playing Elite that one trivially comes to the conclusion that it is infinitely better optimised, and actually complete. And as far as graphics, it does all those things that SC fails at: cohesiveness, style, direction, sensibly balanced detail vs. scope. It was a game of its era, and while SC could have been too, ten years ago, it missed the window on that one and is now inherently increasingly behind where it needs to be. So… yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Did you try Odyssey?