Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Gibdo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I love wallmasters, and I haven't watched all the trailers so maybe they're in but I want Skulltulas and Dodongos

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

bring back the ooccoo

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

dead hand! dead hand!!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Kassad posted:

Iron knuckles as well as darknuts, especially if both are given the lynel treatment.

Dodongos, because if there's a big cave system under Death Mountain...

I
can’t
wait
to
bomb
Dodongos

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Amppelix posted:

all of this is good actually and elden ring doesn't have a horse, it has a gameplay contrivance in the shape of a horse

now i don't dislike torrent not being Horse Simulator and it really wouldn't have fit in a game like elden ring anyway but BotW has some of the best horses ever depicted in a video game!
BotW doesn't have anything other than horses if "gameplay contrivance" is an invalidating characteristic. Horses are about the only thing in the game that you can't materialize directly out of your rear end at a moment's notice. Glider? Weapons? Bombs? No problem. A functional horse? Sorry you have to micromanage the poo poo out of that and it barely even saves you time anyway because for every 10 seconds you save in mobility, you lose 10 seconds to getting stuck on a 1 foot ledge and having to three-point-turn its stupid rear end out of there.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Trial of Power and Blue Flame are what comes to mind, but there might be 1 or 2 others (specifically some of the DLC ones were quite long too).

I'm not saying "they don't count as dungeons" and I'm also not saying that I don't like them. What I'm saying (and most people critical of the divine beasts) is they aren't "traditional Zelda dungeons" in the way that most mainline games contained starting with A Link to the Past.
Overall length - even the longer Vah Naboris and Divine Trial are on the shorter side compared to something like Snowpeak Ruins
Lock & Key - other than the usual small or big keys, the dungeon item itself is usually a key in the traditional dungeon structure. You typically come up against obstacles in the dungeon that are impassible until you obtain the dungeon item. Likewise there are other "key-like" elements that work similarly, like the ball in Link's Awakening's Eagle's Tower or the monkeys in TP's Forest Temple. The map/beast controls attempted to work in this way, but it can be obtained almost immediately after you enter the beast, without any real "initial challenge" getting to it (exception being maybe Vah Rudania). Most puzzles lead to a console with little linear progression (depth) to give the freedom of tackling things in the order you want (breadth).
The aesthetics and theming is HUGE and would have gone a long way to improve the feel of the Divine Beasts. I mentioned above, all of the bosses feel "samey" where every other Zelda game the bosses are unique mechanically and aesthetically. The Water Temple and Shadow Temple actually look like different places. They have different music and textures. The only thing that makes the Divine Beasts noticably different is the layout and the occasional look out the window.

Most people think that BOTW would have been better served with either more or longer divine beasts and fewer (or more meaningful) shrines. Pull some shrine puzzles into the Beasts to extend their length, or combine a bunch of smaller shrines to make longer ones.

I just want to reiterate. I don't think the argument is really "there are no dungeons" it's either "they don't feel like dungeons", "they aren't traditional Zelda dungeons"

edit: I'm basically saying this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GudeeRVNo5U (this series is very good at analyzing Zelda dungeon design overall)

People don’t like them because they’re all puzzlebox dungeons the same way the oot water temple is.

Also if we’re going by length, oot dungeons don’t count anymore, so lmao.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i just preordered this game at a god drat gamestop like some kind of sicko

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

People don’t like them because they’re all puzzlebox dungeons the same way the oot water temple is.

Also if we’re going by length, oot dungeons don’t count anymore, so lmao.

They're all puzzle boxes sure, and that's A reason people don't like them, but not the only one, as I clearly pointed out in my post.

I'd take 4 water temples over the 4 divine beasts any day as long as I can put my iron boots on a button

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I bought the special edition OLED switch since I'd been using a lite until now, and I'm probably gonna buy the physical cart at a gamestop since I hate the way downloaded stuff keeps verifying the game and locking me out of it if I'm out of the house, and I'm close to thinking I might want a amiibo in my degeneracy

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

kidcoelacanth posted:

I cashed in a voucher like all the other pro Switch gamers did.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

goethe.cx posted:

dead hand! dead hand!!

dead hands were creepy as gently caress on the N64 and i shudder at the thought of them in better graphical fidelity.

that said, iron knuckles are also high on my list, as are actually scary redeads, bring back that unearthly scream and make me 6 years old and making GBS threads my pants again every time I go to castle town as adult link.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Volte posted:

A functional horse? Sorry you have to micromanage the poo poo out of that and it barely even saves you time anyway because for every 10 seconds you save in mobility, you lose 10 seconds to getting stuck on a 1 foot ledge and having to three-point-turn its stupid rear end out of there.

Agreed, BotW is an amazingly true-to-life horse simulator

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I play games to get away from things I hate in real life

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

quiggy posted:

bring back the ooccoo

If they don’t show up in this game they’re never showing up again

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Volte posted:

BotW doesn't have anything other than horses if "gameplay contrivance" is an invalidating characteristic. Horses are about the only thing in the game that you can't materialize directly out of your rear end at a moment's notice. Glider? Weapons? Bombs? No problem. A functional horse? Sorry you have to micromanage the poo poo out of that and it barely even saves you time anyway because for every 10 seconds you save in mobility, you lose 10 seconds to getting stuck on a 1 foot ledge and having to three-point-turn its stupid rear end out of there.

Roach is the perfect horse. Whistle and he appears. He was following you around just out of eyesight the whole time. TotK horse should be like Roach.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Mirotic posted:

dead hands were creepy as gently caress on the N64 and i shudder at the thought of them in better graphical fidelity.

https://youtu.be/P5qHPlbApJU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ok, that person's idea was bad and should be ignored

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

horses in botw are good because they let you do the whistle sprint thing

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I hope they keep the Horse armor that lets it teleport to you because otherwise it's going to be pretty much useless with all the other traversal options available

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
i want there to be precisely one (1) save data bonus and i want it to be the stables having your horses from botw

Ytlaya posted:

Attach fans to the horse so it can fly (and/or go faster)
:hellyeah:

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

They should bring back the horse head statues that you have to throw around, and make you do it using motion controls.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Instead of fans they should let you build chariots to carry your vehicles around.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Wall masters only exist underground and deposit you on a random sky island if you get caught. All progress underground reset.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
make Wallmasters the only enemies that can be destroyed by Ascend

Blaziken386 posted:

i want there to be precisely one (1) save data bonus and i want it to be the stables having your horses from botw

:hellyeah:

cosigned, but please don't make my giant horse disloyal or hydrate him any further

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Remove fast travel but add travelling around via song. Give us a goddamn instrument you bastards.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i was amused seeing teba's reaction to revali in age of calamity quickly go from hero worship to "what the hell is this kid's malfunction"

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The true ending of TotK should only be available to players who never injured a horse across both games.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Does it count if the horse injured itself? I swear sometimes I'd bring it somewhere and it'd just intentionally jump off a bridge while I was trying to get a korok archery challenge done or whatever.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

Does it count if the horse injured itself? I swear sometimes I'd bring it somewhere and it'd just intentionally jump off a bridge while I was trying to get a korok archery challenge done or whatever.

horse god says "darn, well it happens" so i think that should get a mulligan

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

kidcoelacanth posted:

I wish this game did one of those things where you get exclusive content depending on where you purchase it from

Best Buy - helm that looks like a garbage bag
Amazon - Link is 5 inches shorter
Gamestop - you automatically have one fewer heart container

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I ordered my Collector's Edition, Pro controller and Amiibo for pickup at Best Buy. They're also giving me an art print? I'm going to end up having an extremely conspicuous trip on the train home with everything.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Infinity Gaia posted:

I was collecting koroks the other night. Once my horse got surrounded by stal moblins and refused to back up or turn or do anything to get away. Then it refused to get away from a fire keese and caught on fire and died. I should have left it dead.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Tri Force Heroes was not good, especially as single player, right?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

:hmmyes:

Mr Horsey, Melman, Sanic, Ke$ha, and Shaq must ride again.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

If you have a save file and import it, you can start the game with 10 extra gil.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm trying to polish off age of calamity here and got to Zelda's bow/sealing magic weapon class and man it kinda sucks compared to the Sheikah Slate, I'm struggling just to get through the training mission for it. A stark contrast compared to like, two hander Link or Impa or Mighty Teba on poo poo kicker mountain.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Anyone else keep Bokoblin horses because they got you out of a jam and you'd feel bad just ditching it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Caidin posted:

I'm trying to polish off age of calamity here and got to Zelda's bow/sealing magic weapon class and man it kinda sucks compared to the Sheikah Slate, I'm struggling just to get through the training mission for it. A stark contrast compared to like, two hander Link or Impa or Mighty Teba on poo poo kicker mountain.

Most of her weapons were pretty awful in Hyrule warriors too