Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

What was God Reign Kobashi like?

Rad, especially since he had only recently come off a year and a half away to try and fix up his knees. His match with Kensuke Sasaki recently won this forums contest for best match of the 2000s over the two 5 star defences in the reign but there's a ton of gems in there, from Mike Awesome to Minoru Suzuki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Kosmo Gallion posted:

What was God Reign Kobashi like?

A man with no knees goes out and has arguably the greatest title reign ever from March 2003 until March 2005. And then he finishes 2005 with all-time great matches against Kensuke Sasaki & Samoa Joe.

If you've never seen any of it the good news is 2000s NOAH big matches are all easy to watch on YouTube. Watch the Misawa match from March 1st 2003.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Apr 22, 2023

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Since peak-NOAH got a mention, I wonder what would've been had Motoko and Misawa been able to see eye-to-eye in the wake of Baba's passing.

Also, what wrestling would be like had Hogan not stooged on Ventura, delivering a significant blow to the prospect of a representative body for wrestlers.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olWx1_oJlgg

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I have something that's been on my mind for a very long time: Why do some wrestlers clap before doing a dropkick? Is it a timing thing? Is it a signal for the other person to hit/miss (doesn't seem like it)? Is it simply a tradition that some wrestlers picked up?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They’re just really excited.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Hell, same.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pope Corky the IX posted:

They’re just really excited.

I love how Ricky Steamboat would sometimes clap before an arm drag.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

edogawa rando posted:

Also, what wrestling would be like had Hogan not stooged on Ventura, delivering a significant blow to the prospect of a representative body for wrestlers.

Somebody else would of ratted out Ventura for a brief Main Event push

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

How does being left handed change how you wrestle if at all?

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Sex Farm posted:

How does being left handed change how you wrestle if at all?

Moxs book goes over it a bit.

You just gotta get used to going on your right

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
So like, have I never heard of this because it was just before I started watching as a kid or because it was such a non-issue that it never actually bubbled to the surface at the time? I imagine WWF was already prominent enough at the time that they would have landed somewhere else but it is certainly an interesting alternate timeline scenario ala the current discussions here

"Plans which were made by USA Network head Kay Koplovitz to cancel Raw after its contract with the network expired in May 1998 were prevented after media mogul Barry Diller, who was also a mentor of WWF-affiliated NBC Universal executive Bonnie Hammer, bought the network and ousted Koplovitz."

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
In 98 was WWF still trailing Nitro? This would have been the summer of 98 I guess where SCSA was just about the hottest thing in the world. I wonder where a WWF would have ended up? ESPN?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ARMBAR A COP posted:

Moxs book goes over it a bit.

You just gotta get used to going on your right

Or work in Mexico, I guess.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Nystral posted:

In 98 was WWF still trailing Nitro? This would have been the summer of 98 I guess where SCSA was just about the hottest thing in the world. I wonder where a WWF would have ended up? ESPN?

At the start of the year, yes. Raw beat Nitro in the ratings for the first time in a donkey's age at the start of Austin's title reign post WMXIV when Dude Love turned heel, and would generally start winning in the ratings regularly by mid-year. I think the last time Nitro beat Raw was when they replayed the otherwise unaired Halloween Havoc 1998 main event of Goldberg vs DDP in full on Nitro, IIRC. It was all one-way traffic after that.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

A man with no knees goes out and has arguably the greatest title reign ever from March 2003 until March 2005. And then he finishes 2005 with all-time great matches against Kensuke Sasaki & Samoa Joe.

If you've never seen any of it the good news is 2000s NOAH big matches are all easy to watch on YouTube. Watch the Misawa match from March 1st 2003.

I've seen the Misawa match from 2003 and it was amazing. I think I preferred the match from 98 though.

It's odd because I went to International Showdown in 2005 and saw Misawa live, I became a big fan and saw a bunch of his matches over the years but really missed out on Kobashi.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dr. Quarex posted:

So like, have I never heard of this because it was just before I started watching as a kid or because it was such a non-issue that it never actually bubbled to the surface at the time? I imagine WWF was already prominent enough at the time that they would have landed somewhere else but it is certainly an interesting alternate timeline scenario ala the current discussions here

"Plans which were made by USA Network head Kay Koplovitz to cancel Raw after its contract with the network expired in May 1998 were prevented after media mogul Barry Diller, who was also a mentor of WWF-affiliated NBC Universal executive Bonnie Hammer, bought the network and ousted Koplovitz."

It kinda of was going around circles at the time especially with WWF ratings being down in 96/97 and Pro-wrestling not really being programming that worked as a lead in for other show or brought in big time sponsors at the time. Plus USA just got out of boxing as well so it getting out of wrestling just seemed like the likely end game of channel that seemed to be in the process rebranding. It's very likely that if WWE didn't rebound in the ratings it likely would of been cancelled

It's part of the reason they left for Viacom/Spike when the next deal came up

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
When did Raw jump to TNN/Spike and when/why did they go back to the USA Network?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Kosmo Gallion posted:

When did Raw jump to TNN/Spike and when/why did they go back to the USA Network?

They started airing on TNN in Sept 2000, though USA tried to block it/void the deal after it was signed.
WWE went back in 2005. As for why they went back? WWE and Viacom never really got along as business partners and USA wanted them back badly cause of the drop in ratings

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I just saw Katsuhiko Nakajima for the first time, in that Yokohama match earlier this year against Shingo Takagi. Holy poo poo, this guy rules. Does he have anything I gotta see that's available on free internet?

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I just saw Katsuhiko Nakajima for the first time, in that Yokohama match earlier this year against Shingo Takagi. Holy poo poo, this guy rules. Does he have anything I gotta see that's available on free internet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXvzh9y3oz8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1kiQsEl-1Y

https://vk.com/video-190393047_456239133

This one is unreal

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

these matches are much less recent, but they're still incredible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR_wosNic6g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXS29f4TG4A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SoFt8PF9s0

hope you enjoy them!

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

I just wanna say one thing...God Bless America

SatoshiMiwa posted:

They started airing on TNN in Sept 2000, though USA tried to block it/void the deal after it was signed.
WWE went back in 2005. As for why they went back? WWE and Viacom never really got along as business partners and USA wanted them back badly cause of the drop in ratings

I thought the jump to TNN had something to do with why WrestleMania 19's numbers tanked. If they went to TNN in 2000, what was the reason for WrestleMania 19's low buyrate? I thought for sure WWE or someone involved with the company said it was due to Raw switching channels around that time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Buff Tannen posted:

I thought the jump to TNN had something to do with why WrestleMania 19's numbers tanked. If they went to TNN in 2000, what was the reason for WrestleMania 19's low buyrate? I thought for sure WWE or someone involved with the company said it was due to Raw switching channels around that time.

No they blamed WM 19's numbers on being in Seattle rather than booking main event matches people didn't really care about.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Buff Tannen posted:

The "bad TV partner" issue that people attribute to causing bad buyrates for WM19 is that "Smackdown was getting pre-empted too often" on UPN, which is slightly complicated to actually check and therefore is either true or a good lie.

Raw ratings were definitely down year over year in late 2002/early 2003, but as you pointed out, it was pretty deep into the switchover from USA to TNN.

There are a lot of other explanations for WM19 dipping so much, the one most out of WWE's control was that the US invaded Iraq ten days earlier and people were preoccupied with that. No clue how to measure that one. More directly involved with wrestling:

1. Everything in general started trending down in 2001 after WM17, the Austin heel turn, the botched invasion, etc. Wrestlemania 18 may have been a bit of a dead cat bounce and Rock vs. Hogan caught a lot of people's attention.
2. People at the time pointed out how a) WWE spent a lot less money/effort marketing WM19 than the past several years, and that b) most of the push was for Hogan vs. Vince.

Outside of that, the three main matches were

1. Triple H vs. Booker T, with HHH at the peak of his Shovel powers against an opponent a lot of fans liked but who was also being framed as the last vestiges of WCW.
2. Kurt Angle vs. Brock Lesnar, featuring Angle working heel after having flipped at least half a dozen times in the previous year and a half and working extremely injured. Lesnar had turned babyface for the first time a few months prior, and it didn't really work, he turned heel the following summer. Neither Angle nor Lesnar were in 2003 big names like the people who had main evented the past several Manias, like:
3. Rock vs. Austin III: This was their third WM match in four years, but not for the title. Austin was out of the company from June 2002 to February 2003, and when he came back he had a couple of matches against Eric Bischoff and nothing else. Rock had also spent the back half of 2002 off TV making a movie, and when he came back he was very much part-time, beating Hogan as "Hollywood Rock" at No Way Out and then doing his mini-feud with the Hurricane leading to WM. I don't remember the Rock/Austin match having a lot of excitement going into the show.

There's the argument that there were real questions about Angle or Austin being able to make it to Wrestlemania, so that might have affected how they promoted those matches, but at the end of the day it seems like Vince McMahon and Hulk Hogan wrestling in 2003 was not as exciting to people as Rock vs. Hogan in 2002, Rock vs. Austin in 1999/2001, or even the ascensions of Benoit/Guerrero and Cena/Batista the next two years.

Lastly, while this would probably affect gates more than buyrates, I feel like I've heard that people in the company blamed Seattle itself as the location of WM19, after having been in LA, Houston, and Toronto the previous three big years. There may be something to that (the blame at least), as WWE has only gone back to Washington for PPVs since then for B-Shows in 2009, 2011, and 2019.

Seattle is the 15th largest metro area in the US. In contrast, over the past twenty years for similar metro areas:
14th (Detroit) - Survivor Series 2005, Wrestlemania 23, Royal Rumble 2009, Over the Limit 2010, Night of Champions 2013, Hell in a Cell 2017, Summerslam 2023
16th (Minneapolis) - Judgment Day 2005, Bragging Rights 2010, Elimination Chamber 2014, TLC 2017, TLC 2019

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Edge & Christian posted:

The "bad TV partner" issue that people attribute to causing bad buyrates for WM19 is that "Smackdown was getting pre-empted too often" on UPN, which is slightly complicated to actually check and therefore is either true or a good lie.

Few mentions on Observer:

February 17 - "We got an update on the 1/30 Smackdown show, which are the adjusted numbers including all the weekend airings of the show pre-empted on the Thursday night."

March 17 - "Because of the situation of Smackdown’s first 54 minutes being pre-empted in several of the major markets including New York, Chicago, Houston and DC for the President’s speech"

March 31 - "Smackdown on 3/20 drew a 2.73 rating, which would rank as tying the second lowest rating in the history of the show. [...] This rating was because the show was pre-empted in so many markets for War coverage."

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
When a match has a guest referee - especially a non-wrestler - do they also take on all the duties an actual ref has to keep a match on track, or do the wrestlers have to muddle through without that stuff?

I figure there must be some anecdotes from wrestlers’ biographies about what a nightmare it is working with a celebrity/guest referee.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
(Quote isn’t edit)

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Answers Me posted:

When a match has a guest referee - especially a non-wrestler - do they also take on all the duties an actual ref has to keep a match on track, or do the wrestlers have to muddle through without that stuff?

I figure there must be some anecdotes from wrestlers’ biographies about what a nightmare it is working with a celebrity/guest referee.

I think this is why a lot of non-wrestling celebrity guests will be special “enforcers” outside the ring, rather than just being straight up guest referees.

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing

Edge & Christian posted:

Lastly, while this would probably affect gates more than buyrates, I feel like I've heard that people in the company blamed Seattle itself as the location of WM19, after having been in LA, Houston, and Toronto the previous three big years. There may be something to that (the blame at least), as WWE has only gone back to Washington for PPVs since then for B-Shows in 2009, 2011, and 2019.

I'm not sure how much more of a gate they could have expected - WW19 set, and still holds the attendance record for the venue it was held at.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The gate was okay it's just the PPV number wasn't good and they blamed Seattle instead of not having good main events or the fact they cooled off Austin so much that Austin/Rock meant nothing

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Blaming a city for the rate of people elsewhere purchasing of a show based in that city sounds very Kevin Dunn/Vince McMahon, yes. Decide on a course of action and never let facts get in the way

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Havoc904 posted:

What is one canceled part of wrestling you wish you could have seen more of?

It can be a gimmick (Seven or Kerwin White), an angle (Vince getting blown up), the WCW relaunch in 2001, etc etc.

Waylon Mercy.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dr. Quarex posted:

Blaming a city for the rate of people elsewhere purchasing of a show based in that city sounds very Kevin Dunn/Vince McMahon, yes. Decide on a course of action and never let facts get in the way

It's not something completely without basis as a big PPV in a city tends to do more buys in that city due to the media saturation. However, their thinking that the prestige of the city hurt vs booking around Vince vs Hogan is very silly. Vince matches in general always underperformed.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Watching the Dusty Legends biopic, I wanted to watch the entirety of some of the American Dreams greatest feuds/storylines so:

1). What are the best storylines/feuds Dusty Rhodes was involved in in your opinion?

2.) How would I go about watching the feuds? Are the old programs on WWE network? If so, how would I keep track of Dusty's appearances to follow the feuds and know what to watch and when?

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Artelier posted:

I have something that's been on my mind for a very long time: Why do some wrestlers clap before doing a dropkick? Is it a timing thing? Is it a signal for the other person to hit/miss (doesn't seem like it)? Is it simply a tradition that some wrestlers picked up?
It's not just before a dropkick, it happens with clotheslines and other moves rebounding off ropes. From what I understand, it's a signal to do something they agreed upon when planning out the match, but what exactly it's a signal for varies. It could be to duck, or kick out on the pin attempt, or roll out of the ring, or whatever they decided beforehand. They have tons of body language cues like this.

For example, the iggy.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
cm punk gave me the iggy, also known as the office, and I'm still trying to figure out how to explain it to my lawyer

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Bonk posted:

It's not just before a dropkick, it happens with clotheslines and other moves rebounding off ropes. From what I understand, it's a signal to do something they agreed upon when planning out the match, but what exactly it's a signal for varies. It could be to duck, or kick out on the pin attempt, or roll out of the ring, or whatever they decided beforehand. They have tons of body language cues like this.

For example, the iggy.

Is this why people in New Japan shout each other's names when they attack

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

No that’s just fighting spirit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

No that’s just fighting spirit

no thats modelo