Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
The Leafs and Lightning both wearing blue and white confuses me. For that reason, the Leafs should change their colors and uniform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr. Kite posted:

The Leafs and Lightning both wearing blue and white confuses me. For that reason, the Leafs should change their colors and uniform.

no the lightning should, the leafs WON TONIGHT WOOOOOOOO

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Criminal that the Leafs got away with winning a game where they were somewhere between bad and disastrous for >60 minutes of game time. But I like crime so Go Leafs.

Here's Dubas getting into it with Bolts fans after the Rielly hit on Point. Apparently the fight between Matthews and Stamkos was in fact called a fight, which made it the first fight between 60 goal scorers in NHL history.

https://twitter.com/thekirkentobers/status/1649948535238930432?s=20

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The black Lightning jerseys were better imo (Lightning were my first mini stick)

It’s about time the Leafs won a game in the playoffs they didn’t deserve, other fuckin teams do it all the time why not them

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Mr. Kite posted:

Only if the Kings go back to the gold and purple crown royal uniform.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Hand Knit posted:

Criminal that the Leafs got away with winning a game where they were somewhere between bad and disastrous for >60 minutes of game time. But I like crime so Go Leafs.

Here's Dubas getting into it with Bolts fans after the Rielly hit on Point. Apparently the fight between Matthews and Stamkos was in fact called a fight, which made it the first fight between 60 goal scorers in NHL history.

If I were a GM I would do this every loving game.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

grack posted:

Seriously there’s no greater “it’s only bad when the always do it” than fans and management getting into it. poo poo owns

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Koopa Kid posted:

Seriously there’s no greater “it’s only bad when the always do it” than fans and management getting into it. poo poo owns

Dubas' hand gesture looks like a "what goes around comes around" which seems pretty fair with the injuries Leafs players have taken from Tampa in past years. Unless he's shouting stuff that would get you probed on the forums I really don't think it's a big deal.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Koopa Kid posted:

A+ yes. You know the fans were absolutely yelling poo poo at him, and this is hockey so go for it.

I’m still waiting for Rick Bowness to find his courage instead of backing down to Dean “Creed” Evason.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Dubas is amazing and deserves all the money in the world

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Arivia posted:

Dubas' hand gesture looks like a "what goes around comes around" which seems pretty fair with the injuries Leafs players have taken from Tampa in past years. Unless he's shouting stuff that would get you probed on the forums I really don't think it's a big deal.

:agreed:

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

grack posted:

Me too, but you, me, and him all have about the same chance of being a NHL GM in July

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Really hoping I'm not currently at the midway point of the 'celebrating playoff wins' annual phase. It would be nice to see them win in a clinching game when they're being outplayed. I'll enjoy it while I can though so LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LUKE"S TROOPS

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1649975924320792576

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hand Knit posted:

This rules.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

we'll see what happens but it does seem like injuring your opponent's key players was the secret ingredient past leafs teams were missing and now they've finally got what it takes to at least win a round hopefully maybe

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
gently caress da rangers

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dubas looks like the guy who played Green Arrow on the CW, but in the episode where he has to run his family’s company so he’s just miserable in a suit.

That guy would probably be a better GM though.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Aphrodite posted:

Dubas looks like the guy who played Green Arrow on the CW, but in the episode where he has to run his family’s company so he’s just miserable in a suit.

That guy would probably be a better GM though.

Oliver Dubas posted:

Don Sweeney, you have failed this league
Checks out.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Call Your Grandma posted:

we'll see what happens but it does seem like injuring your opponent's key players was the secret ingredient past leafs teams were missing and now they've finally got what it takes to at least win a round hopefully maybe

it was a coward’s move to not fight Konecny earlier in the year but Auston dropping em with Stammer and now Dubas yelling at the fans makes me think this Leafs team might actually be different. that’s the poo poo they need

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

“Grabbed” is doing a lot of work in this tweet if you haven’t seen the clip or know the context

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
I was saying this to my brother at the time - that Stamkos knows they're going to be on the PK so he grabs Matthews and starts a fight to try take him to the box.

Stamkos has his gloves off and is punching Matthews who clearly just wants none of this bullshit. Matthews literally didn't even get both his gloves off before the linesman broke it up.

Then the camera cuts to Keefe shouting at the ref and I read his lips clearly saying "MATTHEWS" and I'm like hah! Keefe is saying what I was saying!

Instigator is one of the many penalties in this league where it only gets called when a ref wants to gently caress someone over. Like, this incident absolutely obviously meets at least 3 of the 8 possible reasons to call an instigator penalty listed in the rulebook. But we all knew they weren't going to call it. We'd have been shocked if they did.

So why is instigator even still a rule? It's not called 90% of the time. And when the refs ever do call it, everyone knows they're just pulling some bullshit. I guess they'd call it if a goon went after a skilled player - and maybe that's good enough reason to keep the rule.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

deep

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jimbozig posted:

I was saying this to my brother at the time - that Stamkos knows they're going to be on the PK so he grabs Matthews and starts a fight to try take him to the box.

Stamkos has his gloves off and is punching Matthews who clearly just wants none of this bullshit. Matthews literally didn't even get both his gloves off before the linesman broke it up.

This is exactly what happened to Daniel Sedin with the Marchand thing. Daniel wasn't falling for it to take an unnecessary penalty, but the entire hockey world decided it was actually him being a giant wimp baby in the face of ultraman Brad Marchand and was actually a tough and cool play not terrible reffing. So there's a reason pests keep trying it and guys keep being goaded into it. It

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

ThinkTank posted:

This is exactly what happened to Daniel Sedin with the Marchand thing. Daniel wasn't falling for it to take an unnecessary penalty, but the entire hockey world decided it was actually him being a giant wimp baby in the face of ultraman Brad Marchand and was actually a tough and cool play not terrible reffing. So there's a reason pests keep trying it and guys keep being goaded into it. It

I mean, I agree Sedin should stay out of the box but there’s got to be more you can do than just eat a bunch of shots, this is a horrendous look lol

https://youtu.be/KfmX-mvm8ME

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Leafs media last night was torn between complaining about the injustice and praising Matthews for standing up and fighting.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Koopa Kid posted:

“Grabbed” is doing a lot of work in this tweet if you haven’t seen the clip or know the context

Full quote:

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1649981192597274626?s=20

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Avs looked like the Avs last night

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Also not only does the corgi remain undefeated but the ball trajectory is more or less accurate to the game flow so far

https://twitter.com/michaeldilley19/status/1649970612075483136?s=46&t=HQKtcRjDK4S81BLV4tbVnw

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

RC Cola posted:

Avs looked like the Avs last night

The good news is that Nichushkin isn't injured. The bad news is that he was out with undefined personal reasons and isn't in Seattle anymore.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Nice to see Keefe finally become the last person on Earth to realize that Jon Cooper is smarter than him.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Koopa Kid posted:

Also not only does the corgi remain undefeated but the ball trajectory is more or less accurate to the game flow so far

https://twitter.com/michaeldilley19/status/1649970612075483136?s=46&t=HQKtcRjDK4S81BLV4tbVnw

I know it’s probably going to be 7 games but I don’t think my heart can take the Leafs having a 3-1 series lead again

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

He's 100% right, also... If Tampa is down 5-3 after their star player is injured, off what they think should be a 5 minute major, the game gets out of hand really quick. Since everyone involved was in the box for like 8 minutes of game time, and Toronto had a lovely makeshift powerplay, it cooled things off a lot. Good on Keefe for spinning the narrative around and putting pressure back on the refs for next game.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Arivia posted:

I know it’s probably going to be 7 games but I don’t think my heart can take the Leafs having a 3-1 series lead again

Sounds like you have Playoff Traumatic Stress Disorder. You are not alone and you have treatment options, just check out sportsbet dot ca. With same-day parlays, money lines, puck lines, ley lines and coke lines, all with discreet shipping, Dr. Sports Bet has you covered.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

eXXon posted:

Sounds like you have Playoff Traumatic Stress Disorder. You are not alone and you have treatment options, just check out sportsbet dot ca. With same-day parlays, money lines, puck lines, ley lines and coke lines, all with discreet shipping, Dr. Sports Bet has you covered.

Thanks Chris Pronger.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

The Dirty Burger posted:

I mean, I agree Sedin should stay out of the box but there’s got to be more you can do than just eat a bunch of shots, this is a horrendous look lol

Really? Looks like someone ignoring a petulant child throwing a tantrum to me. Not only the smart play but a fine look.

E: but also should be a clear and obvious penalty, so...

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 23, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sedin actually got penalized there, didn’t he?

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Realizing that I am incapable of caring about all of Toronto’s drama this year has been essential to my playoffs hockey watching this year.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Wonderllama posted:

Realizing that I am incapable of caring about all of Toronto’s drama this year has been essential to my playoffs hockey watching this year.

What have you done with the real Wonderllama? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

The Dirty Burger posted:

Seems like he could have just held Marchand's hand down.

There has to be a rule where if you give two punches and there's no response, each punch after that gives you a 1-game suspension. So in this case Marchand would have gotten a 2-game suspension.