Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

History Comes Inside! posted:

Doesn’t seem to wanna boot and it’s almost midnight so I’m going to bed instead of troubleshooting this novelty

Hmm yes getting rest so you can spend tomorrow on this, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Unfortunately Linux for Playstation 2 was reported broken nine months ago on pcsx2 wiki
https://wiki.pcsx2.net/Linux_for_PlayStation_2

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Avicus posted:

Quiet day at work today so I did the install over my lunch break. Direct clone from the deck to the new drive via Clonezilla, usb hub and m.2 enclosure.

The clone went fine and so did the physical replacement; some of the screws were a bit stubborn but it was just a matter of gently trying a few different bits.

Everything booted fine, so I'll try some benchmarking software later to see how the drive holds up (after it gets through the massive download queue I've given it...)

I got it from LZB Storage, which I think someone linked earlier in the thread https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004901239395.html

Seems like a good deal. Can you explain the benchmarking numbers you posted? I assume it must be good but I haven't paid attention to SSD speeds in a while.

It's kinda funny that my main gaming PC (that I also rarely game on) doesn't even have a 2TB hard drive. I never saw the point of upgrading it since I have decent internet speeds and m.2 drives weren't much better (at the time at least?) than the SSD that I carried over from the previous build. :v:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Does anyone else’s deck make a high pitched whining sound (in headphones) when plugging in headphones? I think it used to be white noise weirdly enough but it’s somehow changed.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

PantsBandit posted:

(you should dl to pc first and then transfer bc the fastest dl method is a torrent)

Curious about this. Deluge and transmission are available for the deck on desktop mode and I've downloaded torrents on the deck before and it appears to work fine, although if you do not connect to a power source the deck will turn off after 10 minutes or so. My understanding is downloading to the deck reduces the possibility of corruption in file transfer and the time needed to maintain the transfer through usb, wifi, etc

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Yeah I torrent stuff on Deck all the time and it’s fine.

Avicus
Aug 31, 2007
Gentleman Bastard
Grimey Drawer

Suburban Dad posted:

Seems like a good deal. Can you explain the benchmarking numbers you posted? I assume it must be good but I haven't paid attention to SSD speeds in a while.

Bigger is better? :biglips:

Not directly from me, but here are results from a redditor who has the same 512gb stock drive that I had:

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
Docking related question: I have a portable usbc monitor I use for work when travelling- If i put plug my deck charger in to the monitor and then connect the deck to the monitor it seems to charge (whilst outputting video). I dont know much about electronics but am i playing with fire here?

If so could this be solved with a docking station of some kind (using also the deck plug as the power source).

Is thr cheapest dock option still this Jsaux jobby?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Science_enthusiast posted:

Docking related question: I have a portable usbc monitor I use for work when travelling- If i put plug my deck charger in to the monitor and then connect the deck to the monitor it seems to charge (whilst outputting video). I dont know much about electronics but am i playing with fire here?

No USB power delivery "talks" to everything first and confirms the required voltage/amperage profile no matter what you plug in (except some fake shady gizmo). Your portable USBC monitor acts like a dock in this case, passing through the power.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Avicus posted:

Bigger is better? :biglips:

Not directly from me, but here are results from a redditor who has the same 512gb stock drive that I had:

Putting them next to each other. Yeah those sure are bigger numbers, haha. Will this make a real world difference though? That's what I wanted to know. I would assume so but haven't kept up. I get that the capacity was the bigger fish and this is just bonus for most people though.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Apr 22, 2023

Avicus
Aug 31, 2007
Gentleman Bastard
Grimey Drawer

Suburban Dad posted:

Putting them next to each other. Yeah those sure are bigger numbers, haha. Will this make a real world difference though? That's what I wanted to know. I would assume so but haven't kept up. I get that the capacity was the bigger fish and this is just bonus for most people though.

Yeah, I have no idea on the real world performance, as the selling point for me was capacity. I've only been playing crisis core recently and haven't noticed any slower load times, so it seems at least as fast as my stock drive.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Games are basically never i/o limited on an SSD. Some games are a good file system read and prefetcher benchmark when they load (Kerbal Space Program, CK3, Victoria3, Stellaris). You will never be able to tell SSDs apart by looking at game load times though.

Also, spectacle is the KDE Plasma default screenshot tool.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Curious about this. Deluge and transmission are available for the deck on desktop mode and I've downloaded torrents on the deck before and it appears to work fine, although if you do not connect to a power source the deck will turn off after 10 minutes or so. My understanding is downloading to the deck reduces the possibility of corruption in file transfer and the time needed to maintain the transfer through usb, wifi, etc

I assume the main problem with torrenting on the deck itself is you won’t seed after you leave desktop mode and might accrue a hit and run on your tracker.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Just wanted to verify this is the drive that you all are getting from Aliexpress.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...randl_shipto=US

Also, I saw this one that comes with steam os already installed and a flash drive with steam recovery installed on it. I’m going to assume this is a bad idea but seems like a good way to skip the recovery anxiety. Any thoughts?

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...id=4ZEmtCG4Nitc

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

loudog999 posted:

Just wanted to verify this is the drive that you all are getting from Aliexpress.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...randl_shipto=US

Also, I saw this one that comes with steam os already installed and a flash drive with steam recovery installed on it. I’m going to assume this is a bad idea but seems like a good way to skip the recovery anxiety. Any thoughts?

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...id=4ZEmtCG4Nitc

I personally wouldn’t completely trust either to not be pre-riddled with some flavour of crypto mining bullshit but :shrug:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The problem with getting a preimaged drive is that there could be any kind of sketchy stuff on there, spyware, malware etc.

Especially on one direct from China.

I would just format and reimage it or buy one without all that.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

priznat posted:

The problem with getting a preimaged drive is that there could be any kind of sketchy stuff on there, spyware, malware etc.

Especially on one direct from China.

I would just format and reimage it or buy one without all that.

I personally wouldn’t completely trust either to not be pre-riddled with some flavour of crypto mining bullshit but :shrug:

I was thinking the same. I’ll go with the first one.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Sanitizing any drive you get from aliexpress is probably a good idea, but the 1TB that I got was a clean, genuine, and new WD drive, or such an incredibly good fake that WD's own software couldn't tell the difference.

I definitely would not trust a pre-imaged drive, though. Not even from a reputable seller, to be honest.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah when I said either I meant the pre imaged drive and it’s accompanying recovery media.

A blank drive is obviously whatever.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I’d say 80% chance the pre imaged drive is above board and it’s just some Ali seller trying to find a product differentiator to drive sales, but why take the risk. Wiping and reimaging the drive is easy and fast.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Talorat posted:

I’d say 80% chance the pre imaged drive is above board and it’s just some Ali seller trying to find a product differentiator to drive sales, but why take the risk. Wiping and reimaging the drive is easy and fast.

This exactly. Probably not anything malicious buuuuut.

Plus reimaging is stupid easy it just takes a USB stick and time.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I’m nearing the end of RDR2. How mature is 360 emulation on Steam Deck? Thinking about emulating RDR1 on it. I replayed it on Xbox Series X a couple years ago, so I could do that, but I’ll make some concessions if the portable experience is good.

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
My drive from AE had similar numbers as Avicus, as most people have mentioned it doesn't really affect performance for games, but I have noticed loading is faster over the old drive because I was using the 64GB MMC drive and an SD card. The shader loading for BotW is blazing fast now compared to the SD card haha

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I reached the point of having to janitor games off my 512GB deck tonight so I just joined the aliexpress 2TB train in a fit of consumerist indulgence.

Then I had to order a usb c memory stick from mymemory because lol I’m not getting that from aliexpress what do I look like, the worlds biggest total loving idiot?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

thanks to the person who recommended moonlighter im enjoying it. good chill game. your power ramps up HARD with an upgrade or two if anyones wondering.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Mescal posted:

thanks to the person who recommended moonlighter im enjoying it. good chill game. your power ramps up HARD with an upgrade or two if anyones wondering.

What's it like, kind of stardew valley ish? I see it is 85% off now!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

priznat posted:

Nah it’s an action game

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I reached the point of having to janitor games off my 512GB deck tonight so I just joined the aliexpress 2TB train in a fit of consumerist indulgence.

Then I had to order a usb c memory stick from mymemory because lol I’m not getting that from aliexpress what do I look like, the worlds biggest total loving idiot?

Hey crazy idea here but try beating games 😂

Edit: And then uninstalling them
I have a 256 steam deck plus 256 sd card and not only have I beaten more games since I got a deck (and then added them to a “beaten playlist” and deleted them) but I currently have 90 games installed between the 2 and I can’t imagine needing more storage than that at any given time unless I was on an archaeological dig in Sudan and was going to be without internet access for a year

Honestly I feel like as a vent sniffer and life long gamer a lot of SD owners are falling into this min/max sink hole of trying to maximize their storage for no other reason than trying to maximize their storage.

If anyone wants to pry open their deck and spend more money far be it from me to stop them but I’d like to let all the new Steam Deck owners know there are very few practical reasons to do any prying open unless some part of your Deck actually doesn’t work

SilkyP fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 23, 2023

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

priznat posted:

More like Recettear, if you've played that. You're a shop owner who sells stuff by day and dungeon dives for merchandise at night.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

priznat posted:

it does go for the same gemuetlich small-town feel! but it benefits from its focus; there's only two things to do and that makes it chill. stardew was never chill. thats a lie. there are irritating stacking errors tho

i don't want to compare anything to stardew. dark souls iii, symphony of the night, earthbound? i would compare those to stardew and they'd lose

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Everyone plays games differently and not everyone is going to treat their games list as a to-do list. It's all good and more storage space doesn't hurt if you're the kind of person who bounces around a lot.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Has anyone tried sonic generations on the steam deck? It’s not verified but I wasn’t sure if there were actual issues.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Mr E posted:

Has anyone tried sonic generations on the steam deck? It’s not verified but I wasn’t sure if there were actual issues.

Worked out of the box fine for me!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mr E posted:

ProtonDB says it's rated Gold, which usually means "may require minor tweaking".

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I played a little bit of Sonic Generations on Deck and it was pretty good. I don’t remember any issues.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I can see needing more space because downloading big games kinda sucks. It doesn't do any clever downloading while sleeping you need to leave it on and set up to not go to sleep unattended. Not a big deal for an indie game but switching out 100+ gig AAA monsters could get annoying.

I wish more games had options to not download giant texture stuff if you can't use it (the d4 beta had that option).

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Mescal posted:

Glad you enjoy it, I never played it much on my PC but am putting so may hours in on my deck.

Also I just discovered something about prices. In case you didn't know: If you find a new item and have no idea how to price it, press RT to open the item page of your notebook. Then scroll up and down in the column of items from that dungeon. At certain points there are price "thresholds". A line crosses the column and an amount is listed. Items below are worth less, items above more.
It only gives you a very rough idea, but it saved me from selling expensive items way underpriced.

Avicus
Aug 31, 2007
Gentleman Bastard
Grimey Drawer
I do a lot of bouncing around with games until I decide on the next one I'm going to commit to, so having lots of them installed helps.

I do uninstall those I finish though, so I'm not completely gluttonous.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

For me the use case for fitting a 1TB SSD is my Favourites list.

I don’t really “do” backlogs or even any other categories of games. But I do keep a curated list of 20 games in my Favourites. These are my GOATS and pretty much the reason I still own gaming hardware at all. I can fire up any of those games on a whim, usually at the expense of wanting to play anything new, so I like having all of them installed at any one time.

Considering that list includes both the nuDoom’s, Halo MCC and Titanfall 2.. you don’t get much change from 512GB for much else. But knowing I can keep that entire list installed and still indulge in an obnoxious 100GB new release if I want to, is worth the upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I bought a 2TB so I can jam not just my backlog, but also all my comfort games onto this thing. Currently messing around with getting the entire elder scrolls catalog on here