Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

I said come in! posted:

Nice! So I should be good then. Same VR headset. Especially now that Flight Sim has DLSS 3.0

DLSS 3 doesn't work in VR. The frame generation would introduce latency which you don't want in VR, and all VR platforms already have frame generation so you'd have DLSS frame generation generating frames from VR generated frames which would be ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

lobsterminator posted:

Pre-MS2020 25 fps was considered acceptable. Modern simmers have gotten way too demanding. You can't just jump from 25 fps 1080p to dual screen 90 fps for VR in an instant!

if anything i would say anyone considering 25 fps acceptable in an interactive thing had their standards far, far too low

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

austin meyer, insane developer of x-plane, has a blog post where he insists in all-caps that if you are getting more than 30 fps you are WASTING YOUR COMPUTER'S POWER!!! because 30 fps is the STANDARD for SMOOTH VIDEO!!! so if you're hitting 60 you should TURN UP YOUR VIEW DISTANCE, OR GRAPHICS SETTINGS!!!

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

austin meyer, insane developer of x-plane, has a blog post where he insists in all-caps that if you are getting more than 30 fps you are WASTING YOUR COMPUTER'S POWER!!! because 30 fps is the STANDARD for SMOOTH VIDEO!!! so if you're hitting 60 you should TURN UP YOUR VIEW DISTANCE, OR GRAPHICS SETTINGS!!!

What about multithreading? :v:

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

That's one of my big gaming peeves, which is luckily disappearing because now even consoles run games at 60fps.

The reason why 24 fps is fine for movies is because of the natural motion blur and because it's not interactive. Saving Private Ryan is famously shot with a narrow shutter angle so there is very little motion blur. And the result looks harsh and jerky. It works in context, but it would be jarring if all movies were like that.

I have an ancient i7 from 2015 and a 980ti. It runs FS2020 surprisingly playably but I get between 20-30 fps when I'm in an airport. In the air it's usually pretty smooth 40-60 fps. And the difference between the feel of those two fps's are very noticeable.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Ooooh, I remember that rant! It was... quaint.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Sagebrush posted:

Which is funny because I can barely get 30 FPS in XP12 now in anything other than a default aircraft.

Thanks AMD!

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Number_6 posted:

Why does every #$%^ version of Flight Simulator need like three-five years after release until CPUs are good enough to run it at reasonable frame rates.

It's probably partly due to wanting to push the boundaries a little bit with the belief that future patches will optimize and that future CPUs will run it better.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Sagebrush posted:

I definitely remember that that was the normal way of thinking back in the day - your eye can't see faster than 24fps so anything over that and ya good

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

even in the 00s, you would get mocked off of any decent message board if you said that. most gaming enthusiasts knew that was bullshit.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Idk I was running Quake 3 at 345 fps :smug:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
24 was the balance between still looking like smooth motion and not needing to have as much film.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

even in the 00s, you would get mocked off of any decent message board if you said that. most gaming enthusiasts knew that was bullshit.

I don't think I posted on any 'gaming enthusiast' message boards and I definitely remember it being said a bunch among my friends and in magazines. Maybe we all were just dumb

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

It's probably partly due to wanting to push the boundaries a little bit with the belief that future patches will optimize and that future CPUs will run it better.

Pre MSFS, a lot of it was also down to Microsoft flight sims (and P3d) all running the same engine for the better part of a decade, and said engine wasn't designed to use multi-core CPU's.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Sagebrush posted:

I really want to ask Austin what's the shutter speed of his graphics card, if 30 of his frames display motion like 30 frames in movies.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Is there a list anywhere of the airports in FS2020 which, even if not advertised, are somewhat true to life in their detailing? I know ATL and DFW are included with the game but noticed LAX and MCO (maybe JFK?) where the terminals are realistic as opposed to the stock 3-4 story office building-looking terminals.

E- US-only

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 22, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sebastian Flyte posted:

DLSS 3 doesn't work in VR. The frame generation would introduce latency which you don't want in VR, and all VR platforms already have frame generation so you'd have DLSS frame generation generating frames from VR generated frames which would be ugly.

Whoops! I didn't know this, thank you! How is Flight Sim either way in VR with the RTX 4070Ti and 7800x3D? I ordered my new computer today. Excited to finally be able to really enjoy Flight Sim.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

Is there a list anywhere of the airports in FS2020 which, even if not advertised, are somewhat true to life in their detailing? I know ATL and DFW are included with the game but noticed LAX and MCO (maybe JFK?) where the terminals are realistic as opposed to the stock 3-4 story office building-looking terminals.

E- US-only

I think most? If not all of the major international airports in the U.S. are true to real life. I couldn't find an up to date list with a quick Google search, but this gives you an idea of what you're getting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgSjTE71Y2g which is to say extremely impressive.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

E- US-only

I think there is some view that shows any custom scenery for airports, even if its included in the default game. It shows a star(?) or something around the airport icon on the map.

There's a bunch of really horrible poo poo airports, salt lake is totally hosed despite being a Delta hub because its been recently renovated.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

E- US-only

Here's a list of the default ones they say they've worked on: https://flight.fandom.com/wiki/Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_(2020)/List_of_hand-crafted_airports

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Sebastian Flyte posted:

I really want to ask Austin what's the shutter speed of his graphics card, if 30 of his frames display motion like 30 frames in movies.
Given his general crazyness about these things, I question his opinions about simulation tech and the implementations thereof.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I think there is some view that shows any custom scenery for airports, even if its included in the default game. It shows a star(?) or something around the airport icon on the map.

There's a bunch of really horrible poo poo airports, salt lake is totally hosed despite being a Delta hub because its been recently renovated.

You're right. Bespoke airports are marked on the planning map along with points of interest and wildlife.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

My 9900k has given me good life, but I am really thinking of going to a 7800X3D now. Might spring for a 4090 as well because :shepspends:

I figure I can probably still get a few bucks for it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

slidebite posted:

My 9900k has given me good life, but I am really thinking of going to a 7800X3D now. Might spring for a 4090 as well because :shepspends:

I figure I can probably still get a few bucks for it.

I can’t believe I’m four years into the damned thing. It’s time, but I don’t wanna believe it.

Smithwick
Jun 20, 2003
I’m running a 3700x and 5700xt. It’s been ok. Tech has advanced enough that a new build would not be a incremental step up, rather a large leap forward. On the other hand I’m a cheapskate so I’ll probably waffle on this for the next 8 months.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Smithwick posted:

I’m running a 3700x and 5700xt. It’s been ok. Tech has advanced enough that a new build would not be a incremental step up, rather a large leap forward. On the other hand I’m a cheapskate so I’ll probably waffle on this for the next 8 months.

You don't need to spend a ton of money if you are willing to compromise on the visuals:

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

slidebite posted:

My 9900k has given me good life, but I am really thinking of going to a 7800X3D now.

I have a 9700k and have more or less decided to build a 7800X3D system later this year. I've been with team blue for around 20 years, but I'm not really sold on the sort of Intel pc I could get for the same price as a 7800X3D pc.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Sebastian Flyte posted:

I have a 9700k and have more or less decided to build a 7800X3D system later this year. I've been with team blue for around 20 years, but I'm not really sold on the sort of Intel pc I could get for the same price as a 7800X3D pc.

Now let me tell you about the Meteor Lake L4 rumours..

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

quote:

Microsoft Flight Simulator is thrilled to add to the beauty of the simulator with fascinating new landscapes. Known as both a continent and a geographic region, and straddling the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Hemispheres, Oceania is comprised of remote coral islands, long stretches of white sand beaches, towering volcanoes, vast interior sweeps of uninhabited rainforest, and populated cities boasting modern architectural wonders. Antarctica is a dream destination for aviators with adventure, intrigue, and boundless vistas of pristine coastal and inland glaciated terrain.

Microsoft Flight Simulator’s World Update XIII includes Polynesia (Hawaii and Easter Island), Melanesia (Fiji, New Caledonia, New Guinea, Indonesia’s West Papua, and the Solomon Islands), the Galapagos Islands and key regions of Antarctica, notably the Antarctic Peninsula. The update provides a total of 13 countries and 28 non-sovereign territories, many with improved resolution that will allow pilots to experience stunning new vistas throughout these regions. The release is based on the latest aerial photographs, satellite imagery, and digital elevation modelling data. There is an updated height field for Hawaii and features the city of Honolulu with dozens of handmade buildings.

New WU is live

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sebastian Flyte posted:

I was just reading this morning that the 7800x3D likes to :suicide: itself. But there is also not enough information right now about why the chip is burning itself out so quickly or how many people it is affecting. MSI released a BIOs update as a temporary bandaid solution.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

After many years of collecting stuff I just about have a modular setup to use on my regular desk. I have the Honeycomb Alpha and didn't know how to mount it under my desk without using a bunch of hardware and still be quick-release. I realized I could sorta wedge it in place with a piece of wood that's just the right length from my floor to the bottom of the controller and it stays locked in real well. So it's real quick to put in place. Just got some new monitor mounts to bring them closer that I need to get setup still, then should be at a stage to spend more time flying than setting up or tweaking things...

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Zero One posted:

New WU is live

Neato. Guadalcanal here I come. Time to explore all those places I've read about in my WW2 rags. Wonder if the Buna area of New Guinea is modeled well. It'd be interesting to see first hand where my granddad served

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Zero One posted:

New WU is live

How's the ATR? Fixin' to go island-hopping once I get home from the trip I'm on.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Form various posts on teh interwebz, It's not bad for sub $20 USD but you get what you pay for.

Relevant quote I saw:

quote:

yeah the expert series label just ruins it
if they released it as "heres a plane for 13 bucks" it would be great

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
Seems to be on the level of the Aerosoft CRJ, just not massively overpriced

Which makes sense since it's made by the same dude that made the CRJ

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

AzureSkys posted:

After many years of collecting stuff I just about have a modular setup to use on my regular desk. I have the Honeycomb Alpha and didn't know how to mount it under my desk without using a bunch of hardware and still be quick-release. I realized I could sorta wedge it in place with a piece of wood that's just the right length from my floor to the bottom of the controller and it stays locked in real well. So it's real quick to put in place. Just got some new monitor mounts to bring them closer that I need to get setup still, then should be at a stage to spend more time flying than setting up or tweaking things...

owns

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

JayKay posted:

Form various posts on teh interwebz, It's not bad for sub $20 USD but you get what you pay for.

Relevant quote I saw:

Gasoline posted:

Seems to be on the level of the Aerosoft CRJ, just not massively overpriced

Which makes sense since it's made by the same dude that made the CRJ

Huh, I thought it was going to be free A310-style.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/expert-series-i-atr-42-600-72-600/588384/64

According to that guy: ground handling is wrong, takeoff feels wrong, landing feels wrong, and it hand-flies wrong. Also a bunch of very nitpicky stuff.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Doesn't ground handling suck with basically everything in the sim?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Doesn't ground handling suck with basically everything in the sim?

Yes! It is, imo, the single worst thing about MSFS. Incredibly rudimentary tire/ground interaction physics combined with what sometimes seems to be a different aerodynamics sim when a plane is on the ground makes for some really weird poo poo sometimes.

It also doesn't simulate beta range on turboprops which is super important for their ground handling. Some devs (ok, pretty much just Black Square) have hacky workarounds for it but idk if they did anything about it for the ATR.