Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Red Dragon is another adaptation of the same book u cretin

For my Michael Mann crime I will order Heat 2 and enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Is Heat 2 worth reading?

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Is Heat 2 worth reading?

I thought it was quite good

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

all I've heard is good things, been meaning to pick it up

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

distortion park posted:

Heat is so efficient at showing you what a piece of poo poo the characters are. like waingro is possibly the least likeable character in cinema history and he's on screen for maybe 5 minutes?

yeah, really well done

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

there is so much to love about Heat but i think this is my favorite thing about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHJCrpvYyMo

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Vim Fuego posted:

yeah, really well done

Fichtner doesn't have a lot of screentime either, but the way things play out with him and the way he dies enforce that isolation theme while also embedding what a piece of poo poo everyone in the movie is

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

MrQwerty posted:

Fichtner doesn't have a lot of screentime either, but the way things play out with him and the way he dies enforce that isolation theme while also embedding what a piece of poo poo everyone in the movie is

Seriously. Henry Rollins and Hank Azaria have like 30 seconds of screen time and maybe five lines a piece, and they're used masterfully to show that even the background players are pieces of poo poo.

I think this is my favorite scene in the movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9QCtoOmEDU

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

the only non rear end in a top hat characters are the prostitutes mother, and dennis haysberts girlfriend

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Earwicker posted:

there is so much to love about Heat but i think this is my favorite thing about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHJCrpvYyMo

"Told ya I'm never going back."
"Yeah."

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

haljordan posted:

There's a video on YouTube of the training Tom Cruise went through for that movie, it's funny because he still has his long hair from "The Last Samurai". He put in the work though, for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8-P8sJNHk0

its kinda funny to think that Tom Cruise and Keanu Reeves have undergone enough training in their careers that they could totally gently caress up 99% of people if they wanted to

haljordan posted:

Sometimes people complain that the guy on the right would've gotten his gun out way quicker but I bet that's a pretty accurate recreation of what would happen irl especially if you just saw your buddy catch two in the chest. I also like the detail of Cruise pushing the first guy's arm across his body to make it more awkward to recover, and to also ensure that he wouldn't get hit if the guy did manage to get a shot off. Even when Cruise raises his hands, his draw hand is slightly lower to make pulling his gun easier. So many great little details packed into one scene.

you also have to remember that basically every dude like that is loving dumb and they probably aren't the kinds of guys who set up ranges to practice on so yea it's probably exactly what would happen if a highly-trained dude went up against a couple dopey bangers like that lmao

i still remember being so awed by that scene the first time i saw Cruise pop those dudes so quick, one of my all-time favorite movie moments

also the nightclub scene is one of the best shootouts, the moves Cruise pulls are so drat tight, like when he rolls over and fires between his knees before twisting himself upright and firing again, all in like 5 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlFwTw0Z6nM

haha i forgot about the chunky FBI agent who gets shot, his "ah come on" look always cracks me up

Tumble fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 17, 2023

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Not the best quality but i liked it when Tom Cruise eats it hard on the rolly chair and they just left it in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j01f25dsNI

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Tumble posted:

its kinda funny to think that Tom Cruise and Keanu Reeves have undergone enough training in their careers that they could totally gently caress up 99% of people if they wanted to

I've often dreamt of a Reeves/Cruise Face/Off 2 being the action movie that we need but don't deserve

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Is Heat 2 worth reading?

Mann's style really comes through in the novel if that makes sense. It's a very lean and pretty nasty read but very very enjoyable and I reread it a few months after finishing it.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

B-Rock452 posted:

Mann's style really comes through in the novel if that makes sense. It's a very lean and pretty nasty read but very very enjoyable and I reread it a few months after finishing it.

It's a fun book but I have no idea why Mann went with an Uber-Waingro for the villain, he wasn't horribly written or anything but there are million other types of bad guys so it didn't seem particularly original to go with "extremely sadistic criminal" again.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Whoa, I know gun-fu

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
"Public Enemies" wasn't one of his best films by any means, however part of it was was shot at one of my favorite restaurants in the Wisconsin Dells (and the surrounding Mirror Lake State Park).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_4S_-cr9Rs

They even put it on the sign

naem
May 29, 2011

they should prob clarify they mean a movie

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Mental Hospitality posted:

I was never sure if this was intentional direction (because he fuckin sells it well) or if it's just Cruise being Cruise, in which case it also works.

The comedian Russel Howard fully breaks his finger during an interview with a stuntman on his show, “I’ll be back in a minute, I fully hosed myself up”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4-QIlMHcNI

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Looks like everyone here chose to memory hole the Miami Vice movie.

Probably for the best.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Miami Vice was fun but it's definitely Michael Mann capitalizing on his appeal to insufferable gun dweebs. Collateral was that as well; the kind of movie for twiggy engineers who watch ballistic gel videos and fantasize about using their CCWs, but MV played that hand a little too hard with the scene where the one SWAT member describes how she's going to shoot the hostage taker in the brainstem instead of just doing it.

They're all very fun movies, but beware anyone who likes them a little too much.

Tumble posted:

haha i forgot about the chunky FBI agent who gets shot, his "ah come on" look always cracks me up

Mark Ruffalo??? Or are you talking about someone else?

My favourite part about the nightclub scene in Collateral (other than the tactical gun dweeb poo poo) is that the song playing is Ready, Steady, Go by Paul Oakenfold, but someone in the music direction department asked that they change the titular vocal sample to Korean(?) to better fit the scene. It's the same song used in the car chase scene in The Bourne Identity.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Mister Speaker posted:

It's the same song used in the car chase scene in The Bourne Identity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ETruidd5lQ

posting the car chase scene because its a cinematic masterpiece :discourse:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Miami Vice gets so campy at times I have trouble believing it wasn’t intentional.

Weird movie, but it’s not the worst.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Extra Large Marge posted:

"Public Enemies" wasn't one of his best films by any means, however part of it was was shot at one of my favorite restaurants in the Wisconsin Dells (and the surrounding Mirror Lake State Park).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_4S_-cr9Rs

They even put it on the sign

I honestly really like Public Enemies and I always forget it's a Michael Mann movie. The soundtrack is great

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Miami Vice has a unique Vibe that can scratch an itch. It's not good, but sometimes you just want to see Colin Ferrell take a fastboat to Cuba to have a mojito, ya know?

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Also the final shootout rules. Those long shots from each sides perspective with the distant muzzle flashes and the sound of the impacts/the crack of rounds going close by is so good.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Caesar Saladin posted:

Not the best quality but i liked it when Tom Cruise eats it hard on the rolly chair and they just left it in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j01f25dsNI

he was the same age filming this movie as i am now, and i'm not in terrible shape but if i ate it on a chair like that there is no loving way i'd be able to recover instantly like he did. i'd be on the ground for like the next ten minutes

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

Miami Vice was fun but it's definitely Michael Mann capitalizing on his appeal to insufferable gun dweebs. Collateral was that as well; the kind of movie for twiggy engineers who watch ballistic gel videos and fantasize about using their CCWs, but MV played that hand a little too hard with the scene where the one SWAT member describes how she's going to shoot the hostage taker in the brainstem instead of just doing it.

They're all very fun movies, but beware anyone who likes them a little too much.

Mark Ruffalo??? Or are you talking about someone else?

My favourite part about the nightclub scene in Collateral (other than the tactical gun dweeb poo poo) is that the song playing is Ready, Steady, Go by Paul Oakenfold, but someone in the music direction department asked that they change the titular vocal sample to Korean(?) to better fit the scene. It's the same song used in the car chase scene in The Bourne Identity.

Not Ruffalo, but him getting iced so matter-of-factly is a great moment too

I'm talking about the fbi guy who gets shot a few seconds after where I've linked here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlFwTw0Z6nM&t=107s

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tumble posted:

also the nightclub scene is one of the best shootouts, the moves Cruise pulls are so drat tight, like when he rolls over and fires between his knees before twisting himself upright and firing again, all in like 5 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlFwTw0Z6nM

i enjoyed the tribute to this scene in Hitman 3

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Earwicker posted:

he was the same age filming this movie as i am now, and i'm not in terrible shape but if i ate it on a chair like that there is no loving way i'd be able to recover instantly like he did. i'd be on the ground for like the next ten minutes

id be able to recover instantly in the moment but then unable to get out of bed for the next 7 days

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Cruise is turbo rich so he's no doubt been full of the best steroids and peptide hormones money can buy for decades. He probably recovers from injuries before he even sustains them.

EDIT: Also, yeah AFAIK the chair thing was totally 'improvised' in that it was an accident but Mann liked it so much he kept it in the film.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 18, 2023

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

https://twitter.com/KinoFabino/status/1578063401137364992?s=20

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Heat is a great movie. The scene that opens with a bit of a blurry pan of the LA horizon that is clearly made to look like the ocean at night, with all the city lights looking like bioluminescent jellyfish in the water, is a downright amazing shot. Unfortunately afterwards Neil explains that the view from his balcony looks like the ocean at night, with all the lights looking like jellyfish in the water. YOU JUST loving SHOWED US THAT, MICHAEL!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Lmao. The Photoshop job on this is just convincing enough (and I'm high) that I went "wait, did Shiherlis have a moustache?"

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Re-watched the Heat shootout for like the tenth time just now and noticed that everybody seemed to be shooting high. Wondering if this was a safety thing, or if maybe I’m misreading due to camera angles or whatever. I also FINALLY realized what an utter triumph of editing that scene was, because holy crap so much of that could have been different days or even locations. It was done before DI though, so maybe they had to be a lot more careful to match daylight? That era of postproduction is like a different world to me.

One thing not mentioned here is Mann’s consistently pushing the technical envelope on night scenes. One of the weaknesses of Miami Vice (IMO) is that it didn’t quite make it; the digital camera he used didn’t have the contrast and did some odd poo poo. I remember the skies bing really blown out and distracting. That was a world I was deep in at the time though, Mann doesn’t do much by accident and if you didn’t know what was going on it may have worked.

Compare anything else in Vice or Collateral to that Dells shootout in Public Enemies, goddamn that is luscious. Ironically it looks better on my iPad than it did on the lovely early digital projector I saw it on at the time, I’d LOVE to catch a rerelease in Dolby Cinema.

Remulak fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Apr 23, 2023

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Remulak posted:

Re-watched the Heat shootout for like the tenth time just now and noticed that everybody seemed to be shooting high. Wondering if this was a safety thing, or if maybe I’m misreading due to camera angles or whatever. I also FINALLY realized what an utter triumph of editing that scene was, because holy crap so much of that could have been different days or even locations. It was done before DI though, so maybe they had to be a lot more careful to match daylight? That era of postproduction is like a different world to me.

One thing not mentioned here is Mann’s consistently pushing the technical envelope on night scenes. One of the weaknesses of Miami Vice (IMO) is that it didn’t quite make it; the digital camera he used didn’t have the contrast and did some odd poo poo. I remember the skies bing really blown out and distracting. That was a world I was deep in at the time though, Mann doesn’t do much by accident and if you didn’t know what was going on it may have worked.

Compare anything else in Vice or Collateral to that Dells shootout in Public Enemies, goddamn that is luscious. Ironically it looks better on my iPad than it did on the lovely early digital projector I saw it on at the time, I’d LOVE to catch a rerelease in Dolby Cinema.

it was all filmed on one block too.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Remulak posted:

as someone who doesn't know anything technical about cameras or filmmaking, i thought miami vice was real pretty and started out as a good movie but the characters aren't terribly interesting, almost stock really, and the plot kind of wore out its welcome by the end. it's the only one of his films from that era that i haven't gone back to and rewatched a bunch of times.

i feel like heat and collateral and last of the mohicans did a very good job of pairing visual aesthetics with music, and then in miami vice that aspect really felt like it was missing to me. i can't even remember any of the music from that movie whereas collateral and especially heat and mohicans have several standout moments where the music really carries things.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 23, 2023

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I didn't make it past the first boat scene of Miami vice because I couldn't see anything and it was so grainy

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Is Heat 2 worth reading?

Yes. I thought it was going to be very pulpy or an airport fiction read at best, but it left me wanting a sequel far more than I expected, as well as a ton of awesome character development. It was really really good.

It confirms Hannah's coke habit. Also confirms that McCauley was in Vietnam .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Tumble posted:

Not Ruffalo, but him getting iced so matter-of-factly is a great moment too

I'm talking about the fbi guy who gets shot a few seconds after where I've linked here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlFwTw0Z6nM&t=107s

I think you're talking about Bruce McGill, who is one of my favorite That Guy actors.