Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The simulated details in Mr. Suns Hatbox is insane.

I fultoned a cooking pot hat and by accident jumped into it and was evacuated out of the mission immediately, failing it. It's really pretty much Spelunky with less tight platforming but even more dumb physics interactions that can go wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I like the Find All games. I picked them up in some bundle, and my wife and I played 1 and most of 2 in bed with the Steam Deck. Very chill, replaces crosswords or whatever that we would sometimes do.

Desktop dungeons is also great on the steam deck. It’s surprising that this was a dead end design that hadn’t been followed up on, given how compelling this game is.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
All three Find All games are pretty good. They get more elaborate as you progress, with the first game being a single-stage short ride, the second game being a multi-screen affair, and the third one having essentially three stages, but each one has three increasingly more devious difficulty levels. If you like to focus purely on searching for hidden objects, these games will certainly keep you entertained.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

kazil posted:

You are aiming your eye at a word and then reading it. It's basically the same thing as a FPS

Footnotes are like glory kills in doom

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I made it onto the top 5 for a daily leaderboard for Desktop Dungeons :toot: . I'm top 50 overall because I don't know how the endgame classes work (I don't think some came out when I stopped playing lmao).

I didn't even do especially well lol so hopefully the game's doing well. It's still a perfect game, though the remaster is a little buggy and it could stand to have the codex back in (all this time and I still haven't memorized all the gods' stuff)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

sebmojo posted:

Footnotes are like glory kills in doom

:ibadpop: Kull wahad

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

More demos...

Humanless (coming soon) - A Butcher clone that somehow manages to take the concept of Doom in 2D and make it boring. Part of that is the fatiguing art design of the levels that use the same tiling throughout, also the lack of enemy variety, the weapons not feeling very good. Easy pass from me.

Junkienator (coming soon) - Well, it certainly has my interest, as weird as it is. It's a vacuuming game that wouldn't feel out of place on the Haunted PS1 Demo Discs (albeit without the PS1 aesthetic). You scoop up the trash, hoover big objects at your vacuum so you can blast them back at black orbs causing mayhem, then use the vacuum's apparent water feature to clean up their gunk. The second demo has a crying toilet? also the main character has a silent silhouette mom in their house that is probably dead? everyone also speaks in what I would call sort-of English. it's very strange.

Madcap Mosaic ($7) - I see what this is going for, and it's not for me, but I could see this being one of those cheap games goons recommend each other forever. You defeat enemies by moving one tile at a time on a large board, and between enemies you get to swap two of the existing tiles on your board with new tiles from a separate, massive board of different tiles. So you start off with just swords (+DMG), shields (reduces enemy damage), and teleportation tiles on your starting board, but the eponymous madcap mosaic you visit is full of various tiles of abilities, from healing to telekinesis to buffs to spells, etc. You move on that board the same way you do in combat, two tiles at a time, so you're picking a path through to reach the abilities that interest you. Every other tile is also a hidden tile that only reveals when you step on it. It's not a looker, but the hidden gems in this genre rarely are, are they.

Poltergirl (coming soon) - This one's intriguing to me, though its tone is slightly generic. It's a combination of top-down stealth and adventure game, where you control two characters at the same time Brothers A Tale of Two Sons style, one of which is a ghost and can learn about enemy interests. As you sneak around the map you'll find items much as you would in a point and click adventure game, and you bring the right item to the right enemy in order to pacify them and send them back to Monster Village. I don't know what's going on either because the level is a slice from halfway through the game so they intentionally don't explain what's going on.

A Rat's Life: A Cat Conspiracy (September 2023) - No, it's not the sequel to A Dog's Life. This is a commie-as-hell n64-inspired game where you run around as a rat sniffing for cheese, avoiding the cops, knocking trashcans over and collecting the dirt inside. It's fine, it's neat. Sort of the adult swim analog to last year's Spirit & the Mouse. I stopped at the carnival because it had those very Ocarina of Time esque minigames about scoring enough points within 30 seconds, and I'm bad at those.

Recolit (Q3 2023) - Gorgeously colored sidescrolling adventure game. You're an astronaut who has crash landed by a Japanese town that seems to be inhabited solely by ghosts (and your status as astronaut may itself be more metaphorical than real). There's a pervasive darkness keeping you from progressing further, which you can push back by solving ghost problems and turning on more streetlights. You can only pick up items that are lit, which is why you need to get those streetlights on. It's a bit too linear and you can only hold one object at a time, but it's definitely cool.

Next batch: Dormiveglia, Greek Tragedy, Knight of Exile, MechBlaze, Neon Tail, Rainboy, The Shattering

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 23, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I tested AssCreed Valhalla, because I was looking for something inoffensive to play with a controller, and holy poo poo the combat feel so bad in that game. I don't remember Odyssey feeling so awful.
Every attack sends your character flying forward and it feels like you're slapping the enemies with pool noodles, and when attacks hit you there's no feedback at all. I didn't even notice most of the time that I was hit at all.
It's particularly lovely even compared to other lovely Ubisoft games.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I always thought the direct combat in AssCreed games was serviceable at best (and I've played pretty much all of them except for Syndicate) so the game requiring you to engage with it a lot because of how the monasteries work was IMHO a bad idea. Combined with uninteresting characters, world and plot made it the first AssCreed I didn't feel like finishing (though I guess I would skip a lot more of them if I were to replay them nowadays).

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 23, 2023

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I finished Mr. Suns Hatbox after 10 hours. I'd highly recommend the game, it doesn't overstay its welcome and the gameplay itself is super addicting.

I don't know how the dev managed to combine Spelunky/Heat Signature with Peace Walker/MGS5 but somehow he did. Its fun to unleash your inner loot goblin by fultoning everything you can see and the absolutely wild physics shenanigans happening with all the weapons/hats/traps is insane. The balance is a bit off (there are a few guns you always want to use and some you never will, same with quirks etc.) but overall I had a great time. Give it a chance!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Jack Trades posted:

I tested AssCreed Valhalla, because I was looking for something inoffensive to play with a controller, and holy poo poo the combat feel so bad in that game. I don't remember Odyssey feeling so awful.
Every attack sends your character flying forward and it feels like you're slapping the enemies with pool noodles, and when attacks hit you there's no feedback at all. I didn't even notice most of the time that I was hit at all.

Yeah, this is ultimately why I dropped off of Valhalla.

For a game touting violent and visceral combat, it's surprisingly anemic as hell and relies heavily on skills and abilities that won't target the enemy you're aiming at 95% of the drat time and you'll whiff it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I did like the idea of skills in AC Valhalla being books you find in monasteries, but they should have given you a choice of what to learn since you don't unlock some fun stuff until like 80 hours in.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Valhalla was the first new Asscreed game that made me think I'd rather have the Arkham style combat from the old games back instead of this fake souls knockoff thing they're going for now.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jack Trades posted:

Wow, they really did just rip off Witcher 3 then, didn't they!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mordja posted:

Wow, they really did just rip off Witcher 3 then, didn't they!

Witcher 3's combat was good once you understand how it works and I'll die on that hill. :colbert:

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Jack Trades posted:

Witcher 3's combat was good once you understand how it works and I'll die on that hill. :colbert:

same

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
:rip:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

demos

Dormiveglia (coming soon) - A gorgeous looking 16-bit platformer with a whip, that can be used to attack enemies, grab them and then throw them, grab blocks to pull around, or grapple onto rings to swing. It all feels mostly good and looks great, and has music that reminds me of some of Virt's more EDM video game soundtracks. I think that they need to improve the combat sounds for the basic whip attack, and add more combat feedback, because the whip feels like it's not really connecting when you hit enemies.

Greek Tragedy (2023) - A PS1-style survival horror that is a mixed rec currently. I love the 2D art, the PS1 3D art is hit or miss, some of the areas are interesting to run around, but boy that opening section with the sheep lady was rough. It gets better once you're in the dorm, but that was not a great way to introduce your game, with insta-death water pools that you can easily slip into, constantly. Has tank controls but you can opt for non-tank if you prefer. Seems to have limited saves based on you finding photographs that are treasured memories. Not sure what to make of the story yet other than that Americans really do hate the Brits this much, that's true.

Knight of Exile (coming soon) - I want to like this more than I do. I think it's decent. It reminds me of Souldiers a bit, but Souldiers is on a level all its own, and this is just decent as I said. The level design is a bit flat and repetitive, and the map is not very detailed. The combat is NEARLY there, it could use some tweaks but I like how fast you eventually get at swinging your sword around, and the wrecking ball weapon you get is pretty cool. Another game that needs a bit better combat feedback. But my main thing is just the world design which is critical for a Metroidvania. Not sure if that's something they'll be able to improve or not.

MechBlaze ($10) - Astro Port is a prolific doujin developer that has put out solid 16-bit throwbacaks over the past 8-10 years. You may have seen Gigantic Army way back in the day, or Supercharged Robot Vulkaiser. This game plays similarly to Cybernator/Metal Warriors in that it is a mecha run and gun game. Your default movement speed is slow but you have a fast infinite dash to go along with a jet booster to glide and reach higher platforms. But platforming is not reaaally the goal here, it's largely mowing down dozens of tanks, all sorts of mechanized contraptions, and giant bosses in the Contra tradition that have multiple destroyable parts. This is solid, though not as good as my favorite game from them (Rocketron), so I may dip in during the next Steam sale.

Neon Tail ($13) (Early Access) - My Steam Deck was running low on battery so I checked out of this demo early but it's not terrible, I'm just not sure that it can really stand up to its inspirations. After doing some in-line skating around and getting used to the controls, you have a dream where aliens shoot orbs into you and now you have powers to fight bad guys I guess. I didn't get to the fighting part though. I mostly just did some skating around the city and found it to be a bit barren in terms of things to do. The thing about Jet Set Radio & Future is that its maps are not really that large but they're carefully constructed and designed for flow... whereas both Neon Tail and Hover just sort of make an open city map and plop some rails down in it. I'm still apprehensive about whether Bomb Rush Cyberfunk will understand that JSR(F)'s level design is half the reason the games are so good.

Perilous Warp ($15) - I've seen a lot of throwback shooters, but I've rarely seen a shooter attempting to throwback to the OG Xbox era of shooters, because that's what this feels like. The slow movement speed, the basic architecture, the enemies that just sort of stand around and sometimes jog, the overwhelming amount of grey, and needlessly long cutscenes spouting generic rear end story. I feel like I'd see this in a PC Gamer as a bottom-third page review underneath a larger review on Unreal 2. It would not score well.

Next batch: Rainboy, The Shattering, Operation Pinkeye, Heartbound, Splash Cars

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Jack Trades posted:

Once I started using the dodge instead of the roll more the combat became a lot more fun for me.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

Once I started using the dodge instead of the roll more the combat became a lot more fun for me.

Yeah, that's probably the big mistake people make.
The roll should only be used in very specific situations.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

The 7th Guest posted:

More demos...

Madcap Mosaic ($7) - I see what this is going for, and it's not for me, but I could see this being one of those cheap games goons recommend each other forever. You defeat enemies by moving one tile at a time on a large board, and between enemies you get to swap two of the existing tiles on your board with new tiles from a separate, massive board of different tiles. So you start off with just swords (+DMG), shields (reduces enemy damage), and teleportation tiles on your starting board, but the eponymous madcap mosaic you visit is full of various tiles of abilities, from healing to telekinesis to buffs to spells, etc. You move on that board the same way you do in combat, two tiles at a time, so you're picking a path through to reach the abilities that interest you. Every other tile is also a hidden tile that only reveals when you step on it. It's not a looker, but the hidden gems in this genre rarely are, are they.

I can be the one stanning this. It's really a hidden gem and definitely worth your time/money if you're looking for a coffee break roguelike with an original take on the familiar tile flipping gameplay loop. The variety in abilities is great and the difficulty is well balanced, so it's been my go-to coffee break game for the past few weeks now.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Battle Brothers is at a historical low of 67% off on Steam. Of course, I picked up the full pack on GMG 3 days ago...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Just wrapped up Serious Sam: Siberian Mayhem. It's almost remarkable how much better it was than SS4 considering it's built over the same bones but it turns out level and encounter design make a difference, who coulda guessed. I also got a lot less of the awful texture pop-in that 4 had, though some of the cutscenes were still a little dicey. It is a short game, however, took me about 4 hours which might have been disappointing if I hadn't gotten it in a bundle with 4, and it almost has the opposite problem of giving you a huge amount of pickups but whatever, I had a blast.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 23, 2023

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

FishMcCool posted:

Battle Brothers is at a historical low of 67% off on Steam. Of course, I picked up the full pack on GMG 3 days ago...

battle brothers is an incredible game

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Battle Brothers is one of my most played games of all time, one of the best tactical RPGs of all time, the best mercenary company sandbox of all time and is probably great on the steam deck. It's an absolute steal at $10 if you are into tactics or strategy games. Very challenging but entirely fair. It has a learning curve, but it's fun even while you're uphill.

The DLCs are good and worth it, but not necessary - they're additional content on top of a great base game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

continuing my big demo weekend:

Rainboy (coming soon) - It looks like Celeste, and the character animations are joyful, but this is not fine tuned like Celeste. In particular the teleport momentum thing seems like something the dev just assumed everyone would be able to easily get the hang of, and, maybe this is Skill Issue (tm) but I find it horrendous and game ruining.

The Shattering ($20) - When the game opens with a "this game is not a replacement for professional mental health advice" you know it's gonna be trashy. This is one of those walking simulators about how creative people be crazy, with a very generic monochrome walking simulator look. Not much really to get me excited from playing the demo, it was just bleh.

Operation Pinkeye ($10) - a scottish parody of goldeneye that locked up 3 minutes in after a series of doorbell rings with various bad jokes. They're really charging $10 for this meme poo poo huh?

Heartbound ($10) (Early Access) - An Undertaley top-down puzzle adventure with unconventional minigame combat where you follow your dog into the woods and get thrown into a cosmic battle across time and dimensions. Decent prologue, the game's been in dev since 2018 though and is still not finished, so I'm not gonna rush to get this one for a while.

Splash Cars ($5) - I don't hate it but it feels like there's something missing. This is a color-em-up driving game where you start off in a grey city and color it in by driving around as well as coloring buildings/vehicles in by driving right next to them (then those vehicles color as they drive as well). I think it's a cool idea, but like I said, it just doesn't feel like a fully fleshed out idea, more of a prototype. There's cop cars that chase you and I have no idea what their purpose is because you can easily avoid them and it's not like they stop you. So their only drawback is that their sirens are annoying I guess? Apparently this was a mobile game so that explains the terrible UI.

Salaryman Shi ($5) - It's a Super Mario World clone except you're slower, can pick things up ala SMB2 and the level design is kind of eh.

Psilosybil ($18) (Early Access) - A Crash Bandicoot clone with worse sound design and weak music. I'm not a fan of this one, sorry. It doesn't feel super good to play to me. This is why demos are so useful for me though!! So I can find out ahead of time.

Spacewing War ($7) - Props to the developer for creating what feels like a lost out-of-time gameboy shmup. That said, it's not the most amazing shmup. Honestly it's exactly what I would expect if I were to buy a shmup on the gameboy in 1990, and then I'd probably be like "I think I'd rather play Blazing Lazers on my Turbografx 16". that's what I would say in a timeline where I had a TG16 as a child. I didn't. But Blazing Lazers is cool. Did you know there was a not very good movie that Blazing Lazers was based on? I watched it last month and it was very confusing and a character at one point fell into a slime vat and merged with some cyborg hunter and their name was Babe. what was I talking about? Oh right, Spacewing War demo was fine I guess, but there's much better shmup options on Steam.

Mr. Sleepy Man (coming soon) - A bizarre sandbox 3D platformer with unfunny characters (at least, the first one that speaks to you is). The opening area felt kind of aimless, maybe that's the point of the game since it calls itself a sandbox, but it's unclear to me if there is an actual place to go beyond the opening Bedtime Town area or if you're just meant to gently caress around in that area. I might be being a little uncharitable towards this game, IDK. It feels ok to jump and glide and whack things. I wish there was a sprint. Maybe the full game will have a little more onramping or guidance.

Not sure what the next batch will be. I'm now down to 78 demos installed on the deck. Let's see... maybe Drop since people have been talking good stuff about that. I've got Monomyth installed which is basically Kings Field ImmSim Souls. MURI which is basically Daniel Remar making his own Apogee game. NineSols by the Devotion dev. Plow the Snow which looks like another lawn mower sim/powerwash sim kinda clean-up-town game. And then I'll see what else strikes me.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 24, 2023

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Has anyone tried Partisans 1941? It has pretty good reviews and looks like indie Shadow Tactics, but realtime stealth/strategy is the sort of thing that's really hard to get exactly right, and tends to fall flat if the devs don't nail it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

D.O.R.F. RTS, that game being made in the OpenRA engine has a Steam page, not that I expect it to come out anytime soon.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2388620/DORF_RealTime_Strategic_Conflict/

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Jossar posted:

PREVIOUSLY PLAYED - So yeah, turns out I haven't actually played Meltdown in forever despite raving about it in the Hidden Gems thread! It's just as fun as I remember, although I forgot that the enemy pathing AI isn't perfect. And I didn't get everything, or even get to the final Prestige level/beat the game. Will probably be putting at least another hour in tonight, and maybe try to make it a regular thing for sitting down and playing for batches of 20 minutes.

Finally got off my rear and finished this, which I count as getting the maximum level on the maximum prestige, then beating the level 30 boss, and 100%ing all the achievements. While there are a ton more pieces of equipment I could theoretically grab/upgrade and levels to get 3 star ratings on, I think I'm content to let it sit apart from the occasional round of Wave Attack. Also the AI pathing thing was just for one map, and is fine everywhere else. The lesson to be learned from Meltdown is that sometimes it's okay if you're not constantly pushing the envelope, as long as you're good at what you do.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 24, 2023

Orv
May 4, 2011

Double Ultra Kirov you say

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mordja posted:

D.O.R.F. RTS

Whoa.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

the steam page posted:

Take command of one of three unique factions and conquer your enemies in a twisted vision of the future.

lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mordja posted:

D.O.R.F. RTS, that game being made in the OpenRA engine has a Steam page, not that I expect it to come out anytime soon.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2388620/DORF_RealTime_Strategic_Conflict/

I need this game.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
As someone who never played the original Desktop Dungeons, gotta say Rewind is pretty cool! I don't like having to grind money and the fact you can have a death spiral where new attempts require you to do runs to be able to pay for preparations eventually; the second tier of dungeons (Labyrinth, Hexx Ruins, etc) are kicking my rear end despite following the usual tips of always fighting enemies above your level and such. I guess it's mostly trying over and over till you get a good seed sometimes :v:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Shadows of Doubt is being released today (in 4 hours actually).

https://store.steampowered.com/app/986130/Shadows_of_Doubt/

It was very much a highlight of the last Next Fest demo and i'm looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Shadow of Doubt seemed pretty fantastic. I played through the demo half a dozen times for sure, but it's also the kind of game I will absolutely not touch until it's out of EA.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Azran posted:

As someone who never played the original Desktop Dungeons, gotta say Rewind is pretty cool! I don't like having to grind money and the fact you can have a death spiral where new attempts require you to do runs to be able to pay for preparations eventually; the second tier of dungeons (Labyrinth, Hexx Ruins, etc) are kicking my rear end despite following the usual tips of always fighting enemies above your level and such. I guess it's mostly trying over and over till you get a good seed sometimes :v:

Preps aren't really a big deal. Below Vicious you don't need to stack them too hard.

You can do some class challenges or a puzzle if you're low on money, or just run something easy with Bet on Boss enabled.

That said I do wish the higher guild upgrades were a bit cheaper, but in my replay I haven't really hit a wall yet

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Communist Bear posted:

Shadows of Doubt is being released today (in 4 hours actually).

https://store.steampowered.com/app/986130/Shadows_of_Doubt/

It was very much a highlight of the last Next Fest demo and i'm looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

Jack Trades posted:

Shadow of Doubt seemed pretty fantastic. I played through the demo half a dozen times for sure, but it's also the kind of game I will absolutely not touch until it's out of EA.

How well does it do the whole Immersive Sim thing given that it's proc-gen? Isn't it really hard to do the IS stuff and have it feel really, well, immersive, if it's fundamentally random?

I guess what I'm asking is, won't the fact that it is proc-gen be noticeable while playing?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

KazigluBey posted:

How well does it do the whole Immersive Sim thing given that it's proc-gen? Isn't it really hard to do the IS stuff and have it feel really, well, immersive, if it's fundamentally random?

I guess what I'm asking is, won't the fact that it is proc-gen be noticeable while playing?

The term "immersive sim" has nothing to do with whether or not the game feels immersive or not.
Yes, it is one of the worst named game genres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

KazigluBey posted:

The "immersive" part of the genre comes down to the highly grounded systemic interaction, and for that, I've seen no game do it better than Shadows of Doubt. Rooting through people's trash, seeing what channel they left their TV on last, re-dialling the last called number on their phones to find a lead - any lead - on a case quickly going cold, it's brill.