Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
I did my longest ride ever yesterday (75 miles with 6k feet of climbing) and I just can't figure out how to effectively ride long distances. The first 35 was great. Then I hit the rest stop to fuel up and refill my bottles. The next 15 weren't bad, but everything after mile 50 was brutal. At 72 I completely ran out of gas.

How do you eat/ drink effectively on the bike and how do you keep your body going for hours and hours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Fuel from the start of the ride, if you wait until you're hungry or thirsty you're going to have a bad time.

Eg, I drink from a sugary drink every 15 minutes, and eat something - a gel or similar - every 45 minutes from KM 0. This keeps me going pretty much indefinitely.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Yeah, that's by far the most important thing in my experience. Drinking carbs especially feels much better to me than having to eat every single calorie I take in. Set an eat/drink alert. Like MrL_JaKiri, I stick to every 15 minutes. Twenty is probably fine too. I try not to go any shorter than 15 minutes because I've heard that ingesting a too small amount might not trigger gastric emptying (I guess that's the term? It's an off-the-cuff translation, but it seems to yield some Google results). Oh and magnesium supplements pre-ride seem to make me feel like poo poo and supposedly don't do much for cramps anyway

Mentally, it also helps for me to divide the ride into thirds, with the first being much too easy, the middle part being relatively sporty and the final part boiling down to bringing it home. I'm probably reading too much into your word choice, but the first 35 miles should probably feel "boring" rather than "great".

It also helps for me to keep telling myself that any ride that's a significant improvement on my previous best - whether that's measured by distance, elevation or what have you - is first and foremost about finishing the ride without my performance falling off a cliff near the end. (This is probably very personal, but there's a sense of victory in proving yourself able to gauge your ability/fitness levels well; if I'm doing the final 10% of my ride at half the average speed of the previous 90%, I feel defeated to an extent). Any subsequent rides of similar toughness, I can start thinking about improving my average speed, personal bests of certain climbs along the way, etc. It does mean I generally finish such a ride with the sense that there's something left in the tank, but the sense of accomplishment is greater than if I'd had to limp home the final hour. So yeah, this too is a reason to start off slow - slower than you'd like.

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009
Thread consensus is Orange Seal right?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sticky Date posted:

Thread consensus is Orange Seal right?

Regular, not endurance

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Subzero is good too if your climate calls for it.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Hutzpah posted:

I did my longest ride ever yesterday (75 miles with 6k feet of climbing) and I just can't figure out how to effectively ride long distances. The first 35 was great. Then I hit the rest stop to fuel up and refill my bottles. The next 15 weren't bad, but everything after mile 50 was brutal. At 72 I completely ran out of gas.

How do you eat/ drink effectively on the bike and how do you keep your body going for hours and hours?

Eat at least double the amount of simple carbs you normally do for every meal from lunch the day before till you ride.

Don’t eat a load of protein or fat for breakfast on the day.

Put sugar (of some sort) in your water bottles, amount depends on intensity of the ride, your weight etc, but 100g in 750ml is no problem. Drink sips regularly throughout from the very start.

For extremely long hard events you can get even 500g of sugar dissolved into a syrup in a 750ml bottle if you heat the water first - that always requires washing down with another bottle of plain water. But it works well.

Eat what you fancy at any stops.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Turmoilx posted:

what do you think is the most over priced bike part that is simply made ? or not simply made just inflated

Any specialty color by Paul. Check out these in polished

https://www.paulcomp.com/shop/components/brake-levers/short-pull/canti-lever/

Their tolerance and look is worth it to me, though.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You can get stats if you have either the 12 speed or the EWU-111 wireless unit, and have the garmin connected to it. Plug the file into https://di2stats.com.

Aluminium's not safe for racks if you're putting any load on them, so steel is definitely real. (Titanium is something that doesn't rhyme but works similarly)
I'm waiting to upgrade my bike until 12s GRX finally gets released, so that would be fine.

I'm expecting to pick up a Canyon Grizl when it gets upgraded, but steel has been interesting to me too.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Aluminium's not safe for racks if you're putting any load on them, so steel is definitely real. (Titanium is something that doesn't rhyme but works similarly)

Not sure where you got that impression.
An aluminum frame that is designed for racks is absolutely fine for it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Turmoilx posted:

looking at bike parts online with no target/direction just lookin to look and this is kinda mind blowing to me https://www.competitivecyclist.com/sram-red-etap-axs-shifter one shifter is 500 bones

the prices they put on somea these things thinking about how other parts of similar design but for not bikes are.. not like this

oh ok i see its carbon, and electric somehow

someone: i could make that on a pi.

what do you think is the most over priced bike part that is simply made ? or not simply made just inflated

https://www.ceramicspeed.com/en/cycling/shop/oversized-pulley-wheel-systems/-3d-printed-hollow-ti-oil-slick-pvd-ospw-for-sram-redforce-axs

Can someone please explain this to me?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It lets me pretend my purchases are reasonable and even thrifty

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

I'm amazed they charge only 8 euros for the special oil for the pulley bearings.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

wooger posted:

Eat at least double the amount of simple carbs you normally do for every meal from lunch the day before till you ride.

Don’t eat a load of protein or fat for breakfast on the day.

Put sugar (of some sort) in your water bottles, amount depends on intensity of the ride, your weight etc, but 100g in 750ml is no problem. Drink sips regularly throughout from the very start.

For extremely long hard events you can get even 500g of sugar dissolved into a syrup in a 750ml bottle if you heat the water first - that always requires washing down with another bottle of plain water. But it works well.

Eat what you fancy at any stops.

A lot of what you and others have said makes total sense. I definitely went out way too fast at the start. It was cold, so I wanted to warm up, it was exciting passing some people on the first few climbs and I was just generally enjoying the route. I was probably biking at my standard 25ish mile pace. I had brought 2 bottles - one with sugar/electrolyte poo poo in it and the other plain. But, I put nowhere close to 100g of sugar in it. I used a single scoop of a spoon, so maybe 10g of sugar or so at most. Those bottles were all I had for the first 30ish miles, so I'm sure I was putting myself in a bad place after that.

Regarding stops/real food. Do you tend to just stop at designated rest stops? Or, do you plan periodic stops to eat something? My balance is so bad that I'd fall if I tried to eat while riding. I waved at a driver the other day who let me pass and almost crashed.

If my ride was in 3 parts it was: doing great, trudging along, and "oh god I'm going to die."

Live and learn I suppose. I have my first hundred-miler in 2 months.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

rubes, dentists

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

So under the economic system of "capitalism" there's an interesting phenomenon whereby charging more for an item, regardless of quality, increases a buyer's desire for said product. A classic example is Grey Goose vodka.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good

Hope this helps.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Hutzpah posted:

A lot of what you and others have said makes total sense. I definitely went out way too fast at the start. It was cold, so I wanted to warm up, it was exciting passing some people on the first few climbs and I was just generally enjoying the route. I was probably biking at my standard 25ish mile pace. I had brought 2 bottles - one with sugar/electrolyte poo poo in it and the other plain. But, I put nowhere close to 100g of sugar in it. I used a single scoop of a spoon, so maybe 10g of sugar or so at most. Those bottles were all I had for the first 30ish miles, so I'm sure I was putting myself in a bad place after that.

Regarding stops/real food. Do you tend to just stop at designated rest stops? Or, do you plan periodic stops to eat something? My balance is so bad that I'd fall if I tried to eat while riding. I waved at a driver the other day who let me pass and almost crashed.

If my ride was in 3 parts it was: doing great, trudging along, and "oh god I'm going to die."

You should probably learn to eat on the bike :) It's a good skill to have. In the meantime, all the more reason to go for fluid carbs! On my last long rides, I kept a third bidon in my jersey pocket so that I'd only have to stop for a refill every three hours. It's probably equally as finicky as getting food out of your pockets, but you should really try and get comfortable rummaging around in there anyway. If you're struggling to open packaging on the bike (I do too sometimes): cut open a few wrappings before you set off, then open a few more at your first stop and so on

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

taqueso posted:

It lets me pretend my purchases are reasonable and even thrifty

This, I get.

Havana Affair posted:

I'm amazed they charge only 8 euros for the special oil for the pulley bearings.

I'm the guy that spent like $20 on chain lube.

amenenema posted:

So under the economic system of "capitalism" there's an interesting phenomenon whereby charging more for an item, regardless of quality, increases a buyer's desire for said product. A classic example is Grey Goose vodka.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good

Hope this helps.

I guess I kinda get it, but high-end road cycling just seems like such a small market in relation to say, handbags.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

rubes, dentists

I'm just genuinely confused what possible difference that pulley could make.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
The larger pulley wheel reduces the friction of the chain because it doesn't need to bend around as small a radius. That's the theory at least.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
The Shimano Altus M310 is really good so they must be onto something.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I'm just genuinely confused what possible difference that pulley could make.

some portion of a watt difference in lab tests maybe. if it really mattered I'm sure shimano/sram/campy could figure out how to use a slightly larger wheel

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Hutzpah posted:

If you are doing long(er) rides you need to work on your balance. You dont need to be able to do the whole thing without hands, or stand on your seat or that kind of silliness, but grabbing a snack bar, unwrapping, and eating shouldn't cause a crash.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Hutzpah posted:

Just stop every so often where it makes sense. At the top of a big climb to let your friends catch up. When you need to pee. When you go past a nice looking cafe. When you reach the pub you’d planned to eat at at the halfway point.

Re sugar: If you put out a very low 100w to the pedals, you’d still burn twice as much energy in an hour as you’d get from 100g of sugar.

Your body literally can’t take in calories fast enough to break even for any vaguely intense cycling effort, even taking in only the most efficient source, pure sugar.

The only way to not run out of glycogen in your muscles and bonk on really long rides is to get way ahead of the game by eating lots of carbs the days/hours before, and by eating and drinking calories constantly as you go.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Anybody have experience with Framed bikes? I am super tempted to pick up one of the Super Tuscan carbon frames they're closing out right now to build up a gravel bike. Since their parent company is being bought by Camping World and subsequently shut down it's almost certain to have no warranty support though. I haven't really shopped around but it seems like a kind of great deal if the quality is decent.

https://www.the-house.com/frgvt49835zz-framed-bike-frames

edit: upon further review this appears to be the Velobuild GF-002 with paint and decals, which is available for this price all the time with axles seatpost and bars. No particular reason to jump on it right now.

rockear fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 23, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

some portion of a watt difference in lab tests maybe. if it really mattered I'm sure shimano/sram/campy could figure out how to use a slightly larger wheel

I reckon there's a combined effect of dentist money + capturing the smug 'they don't want you to know this one weird trick/the manufacturers are stupid but you're smart' market

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
If you don't split your bottles into one sludgy-gross mega-mix bottle and one water bottle, then you will have to tune the concentration to the weather conditions that day. On a hot day your mix your be more dilute. On a cold day it might need to be more concentrated.

Also get a Hammer gel flask and get used to consuming delicious goo. GU brand gels come in 15-serving resealable retort pouches perfect for filling up a flask.

If you are eating single serving packages of solid food like Clif bars, gummies or Nature's Bakery fig bars, then cut the packages open before your ride so you don't have to fiddle with the wrapper while riding no-handed.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

more like Nature's Fakery

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
MODS??

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I can't ride with no hands.

When the guy at the bike shop who handed me my first road bike last year was telling me how much better this bike would be for me than my hybrid, he said that among other things, I wouldn't have trouble riding with no hands. And I absolutely do. When I try it, my hands are hovering inches from the bars for a couple seconds at a time, and I'm proud that I can manage even that "accomplishment." It's like being 9 years old on my old BMX all over again, except now I've got joints that hurt, numb spots near a couple of those joints, and opinions about what should and shouldn't be called "barbecue."

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

rockear posted:

Anybody have experience with Framed bikes? I am super tempted to pick up one of the Super Tuscan carbon frames they're closing out right now to build up a gravel bike. Since their parent company is being bought by Camping World and subsequently shut down it's almost certain to have no warranty support though. I haven't really shopped around but it seems like a kind of great deal if the quality is decent.

https://www.the-house.com/frgvt49835zz-framed-bike-frames

edit: upon further review this appears to be the Velobuild GF-002 with paint and decals, which is available for this price all the time with axles seatpost and bars. No particular reason to jump on it right now.

Take50 still works for 50% off

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Take50 still works for 50% off

Oh drat well in that case yeah I'm getting one. Thank you!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I picked these up too without any real info online. They’re WTB ST i23 rims on some Framed branded hubs, probably some Novatec ones. Not light but considering it’s like $45 for the wheelset with the coupon it’s decent beater wheels.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I recently got a Swytch conversion kit for my Brompton and have really been loving it. I have an enormous hill that leads up to my house that makes it miserable to ride otherwise, and this thing makes that so much easier. It's also nice to have that extra power when mixed in with traffic to get up to speed faster. I've even started using my bike to replace my car for a bunch of smaller errands and took it out for a 5-hour ride yesterday.

Probably ridden this thing more since I got the Swytch than I had in the entire 2 years before I bought it, so it's been a good purchase.

I do have to be a bit frugal with the use the motor. The hill leading up to home is BIG and probably uses up 20% of the battery's capacity. So I have to leave enough in the tank and then some on my way home. Luckily since I'd previously had a dynamo light the extra rolling resistance on the motor wheel is pretty comparable, so I'm fine using it on PAS 0 most of the time. Just using it to even out those hills and merge with traffic.

I need to figure out what I'm going to do about a light now since the dynamo light no longer works obviously, and the battery mount takes up the prime real estate on the handlebar for one. I tried a couple of bike lights I had lying around from previous full sized bikes, but they are too long and interfere with the fold. I'll have to do some more research I guess.

Gotten a lot of comments and conversations from folks who are kind of bemused at the Brompton in cart mode too which is pretty fun.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
I switched the rear wheel around on my single speed, rendering it a fixed gear. Then I went for a ride around a few blocks in the neighborhood, none of which are level because I live in a city of hills. Even though I knew what to expect, I still felt my pant leg starting to rub the chain, so I reached down to make an adjusNOPE NOPE NOPE THE PEDALS ARE STILL GOING WITH ALL THE FORCE OF THE LEGS OF TEN STRONG MEN.

Going downhill was fun until it wasn't fun at all. Thankfully, I wasn't brakeless, so my bones made it through the ride breakless.

You crazy cats out there who ride fixie? I don't know if it means anything to you, but you have my utmost respect. If you see me out on my single speed, just wait until I'm out of earshot before snickering at me. I might not be cool enough for your club, but I do see the appeal. My knees and attention span, not so much.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Nitrousoxide posted:

I need to figure out what I'm going to do about a light now since the dynamo light no longer works obviously, and the battery mount takes up the prime real estate on the handlebar for one. I tried a couple of bike lights I had lying around from previous full sized bikes, but they are too long and interfere with the fold. I'll have to do some more research I guess.

I don't know if this'll work for your application, but I'm a big fan of this unit that I got on Amazon a year and a half ago. Like many products available on Amazon, its product name just rolls right off the tongue: CECO-USA: 1000 Lumen Headlight & 80 Lumen COB LED Tail Light for Cyclists who Want to See far & to be seen from Super Wide Angle. Brightest USB Rechargeable Bike Light Set Available for All Cyclists. I've used it at night a few times, and it's really good. Mainly, though, it's my "be seen" headlight, and I set it to pulse. It doesn't take up much room on the handlebar, and the silicone band mount makes it easy to take on and off as needed. It's USB rechargeable.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Brightest ever LED handlamp, 10,000 lumens, guaranteed to blind anyone who sees it or your money back. Comes with strobe light mode and automatic power on during the day. Detects when you're on a car-free pedestrian trail at noon and triggers new OVERVOLTAGE mode for safety.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

tarlibone posted:

I can't ride with no hands.

When the guy at the bike shop who handed me my first road bike last year was telling me how much better this bike would be for me than my hybrid, he said that among other things, I wouldn't have trouble riding with no hands. And I absolutely do. When I try it, my hands are hovering inches from the bars for a couple seconds at a time, and I'm proud that I can manage even that "accomplishment." It's like being 9 years old on my old BMX all over again, except now I've got joints that hurt, numb spots near a couple of those joints, and opinions about what should and shouldn't be called "barbecue."

Being able to ride with no hands is a core and thigh strength thing and learning to ride with no hands made my chronic lower back pain go away.

I have spondylolisthesis and degenerative disc disease and cycling is the big thing that made it bearable without drugs. I couldn't maintain any other exercise regimen due to boredom.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Being able to ride with no hands is a core and thigh strength thing and learning to ride with no hands made my chronic lower back pain go away.

I have spondylolisthesis and degenerative disc disease and cycling is the big thing that made it bearable without drugs. I couldn't maintain any other exercise regimen due to boredom.

I get that. I've got sciatica caused by, according to the X-rays, my discs... going away, or something? They're not herniating, but they're going away in my lower back, and a couple years ago, I ended up in PT over it. I changed my gym routine after that first bout of PT, and I do a lot more core stuff. I'm much stronger in my core, back, and glutes than I was before. Hell, I actually have core strengh and glutes now thanks to stuff I started doing in PT; my pants even fit different. But, I don't think I'll ever manage learning to ride with no hands; it's not a strength thing so much as a HOW DO YOU DO THIS thing. Balance and all that. When I was a kid, lots of kids I knew could do it, and I never could. So, I think I'll survive not being able to ride with no hands for more than 3.2 seconds at a time.

I think it's a little crazy how I avoided drop bars because they're twitchy and narrow and weird and they hurt your back... and really, they don't hurt my back. Now, I am on a Contend AR 3, and I think AR = All Road or All 'Rounder, so the position is a bit more upright than on a road bike built for racing. Heck, people use my bike's model as the base for a gravel build. But still, my back is fine, unless the neck is a part of the back. It is uncomfortable looking straight ahead for too long.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Some bikes also just aren't as good for riding no-handed due to HTA/offset/trail ... and even tire width.

Also you generally want to sit as upright as possible so less weight is over the front wheel, inducing steering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

bicievino posted:

Not sure where you got that impression.
An aluminum frame that is designed for racks is absolutely fine for it.

I've seen a lot of people put racks into aluminium frames where the mountings are designed for mudguards. In a couple of cases the rack came off fairly catastrophically. Should have known you'd be on top of it.

TobinHatesYou posted:

Some bikes also just aren't as good for riding no-handed due to HTA/offset/trail ... and even tire width.

Seconded, I can ride no handed on most stuff for as long as you like on my Surly but it's more challenging on the Tarmac.