Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

You can also send a marine over.

Damages the ship and strips out more saleable goodies even after the bail does. Also I don't carry marines on most ships (I guess you could quickly just swap a service crew to marine I guess).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Repair laser on the security leak is the vanilla method of claiming ( I didn't think there was any other way outside of using a marine and you've already identified the reason why that's not optimal ). I've been playing vanilla for the first time in ages to try out the Ventures beta, and boy howdy do I miss my mods.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Two more questions; Is there any way to flag SCA ships as Red/Hostile all the time? edit: When revealed I mean, I'm worried they won't always be targeted by a patrol even if revealed as SCA because they're technically "only" -5 until they're actively loving up my traders.

I believe this is exactly what a fire authorization override is for. You can tell your ships to shoot a faction on sight.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

The Boron Hydra is amazing and what shocks me is the AI will use the craft correctly if you fit it with railguns, as it really does have the speed and agility to boom and zoom, and the railguns have the range and damage to make it work so well

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah the hydra is really good, plus it has incredible base speed.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah I just got the Hydra Regal as a reward and its a very lovely looking ship but... I kinda don't like flying fighting in it?! These railguns are amazing, but they overheat after only a few shots. The turrets also seem to only shoot once in a while,. I don't think I'm a railgun kinda person, I was having more fun fighting in my Peregrine Vanguard with its two shotguns and four flak turrets (which had surprisingly good coverage). The Peregrines a bit slow though...

Good to hear the AI can use it well though, cause I may just go back to my Gunship and let the AI have the Hydra.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As noted you boom and zoom, hit the boost and fly out to a few km, then turn round and line up a couple of barrages on the enemy and shoot them off, then zoom past them and by the time you line up again you should have the cooldown.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, I'll give it a try some more, but I might just go back to brawling in my Peregrine.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It isn't the most exciting way to fly it's true, I miss the BRRRAP guns you can put on commonwealth ships. But it does work and allows you to engage basically anything from the safety of range, great shields, and control of when and where you engage due to speed.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

oh what the gently caress, its 3am? Did someone turn the SETA on IRL?

_Gumby
Sep 14, 2005
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

You can train them, I poo poo you not, with terraforming projects. The terraforming projects each allow you a gimmick for the world, and some of the gimmicks are training crew, lmao.

I'm not sure if this is better or worse than the X3 approach where you had to send them to a station for ingame days or whatever.

If you want to spend a lot of money, you can purchase veteran and higher marines from Stations by running around and checking everyone's skills. 1 star is ~15000, 2 star is ~150000, 3 star is 1500000, etc. I found shipyards are the best bet, there are plenty of veteran marines milling around the station, I think defense platforms also have a lot of them?

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

_Gumby posted:

If you want to spend a lot of money, you can purchase veteran and higher marines from Stations by running around and checking everyone's skills. 1 star is ~15000, 2 star is ~150000, 3 star is 1500000, etc. I found shipyards are the best bet, there are plenty of veteran marines milling around the station, I think defense platforms also have a lot of them?

I was in the middle of doing the Terran mission about to apprehend the Customs Officer when I found a hireable manager with 5 stars in everything except boarding at a paltry 3 stars, only 890 million credits for the hiring fee.

Richlove
Jul 24, 2009

Paragon of primary care

"What?!?! You stuck that WHERE?!?!

:staredog:

For those of you playing Vanilla X4 with the Kingdom’s End expansion: Is it worth it? Conflicted on trying a vanilla playthrough for the asynchronous multiplayer but have a feeling that modded is the way to go for enjoyment.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've shelved my playthrough after 100 hrs or so and I think I'm going to wait for VRO, it's fun, but I do miss the late game variety that VRO adds with expanded capital weaponry.

Also it wasn't vanilla anyway because I added the fire and smoke mod which is purely cosmetic but looks nice.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Richlove posted:

For those of you playing Vanilla X4 with the Kingdom’s End expansion: Is it worth it?

Well, I really like it because I love the boron, and would like more curvy things in space. What do you want from it?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
After bouncing hard off X4 several times I finally "get it" and am having a good time this time around. OP seems outdated so a few questions:

Is performance just mediocre on this game? I have pretty modern set up and have 0 other games where I end up with bad performance, both CPU and GPU intensive, but on stations I open hover around 45 FPS and sometimes sub 30 randomly. I never see the CPU or GPU really getting pegged during these periods so it's just confusing. Space mostly seems fine though.

Of the DLC, are any more "worth it" than others? Any must have? I'm tempted by the split one, since I always found their ships super cool.

Are any mods generally considered must have? I've seen a lot of buzz about VRO, but it is not current with the latest version so it's not really an option.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Stations do seem a bit heavier on fps than empty space. However, X4 in general is heavily bottlenecked by the simulation that runs on a single thread. Changing that is what is usually euphemistically called "non-trivial", i.e. really loving hard.

Switching my Ryzen 1700 to a 5800X3D with its gigantic amount of L3 cache made a huge improvement. The Map Game Processor does not disappoint.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Performance does struggle yes as the game simulates a shitload of stuff. Try fiddling with the settings, some people have reported volumetric fog makes it bad though I can run it on my old PC, but screenspace reflections tank it to hell and back, soft shadows aren't great either.

I think split is the best DLC because it integrates across a good swathe of the northern universe, then terrans, then I guess either boron or TOA depending on which you like. Boron ships and stations are very good but they are very isolated from the universe both in terms of equipment cross compatibility and geographically so they're kind of a non-presence unless you specifically go looking for them. TOA is a limited amount of content and not super enjoyable, but it does have a couple of specifically neat ships and the sectors integrate into the center of the map so they're certainly a factor in most games.

I'll put that in the OP cos a few people have asked.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 23, 2023

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
I am also really into the game again after a taking a break. I started a Boron character but now I want to get the Borons to go to war. Any thoughts on getting this to happen?

There was a post a while ago I agree with that the Borons not having any xenon sector connections is a little disappointing, so far nothing has really pushed them out of their corner of space.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think they're very passive generally.

I read on the forums that Heretic's End has basically a neutrality protection flag, which is hinted at in the game where it gives you a message about the subject, but if you claim the sector that removes the flag, so factions can fight over it.

So I guess, if you want to get them fighting, build a station to claim the sector and then demolish it, which will presumably cause the split, boron, and argon to think about claiming it.

Even then though I dunno if anything will really movtivate them, their economy is in the toilet generally.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The only dlc that's been a miss so far is Tides of Avarice

Kind of just whatever, really

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Antigravitas posted:

Stations do seem a bit heavier on fps than empty space. However, X4 in general is heavily bottlenecked by the simulation that runs on a single thread. Changing that is what is usually euphemistically called "non-trivial", i.e. really loving hard.

Switching my Ryzen 1700 to a 5800X3D with its gigantic amount of L3 cache made a huge improvement. The Map Game Processor does not disappoint.

Yeah, in general once you've built something on a single thread, it takes too much work, testing, and regression risk, to justify converting it. Usually the best you can do is parallelize parts of it but that kinda just nibbles around the edges of the problem. I didn't think I saw a single core getting pegged, but it might be effectively spreading that thread around cores depending how that's written(like one tick runs on core 0, the next runs on core 3, the next runs on core 1) all still sequentially of course.

I've been debating upgrading my 3 series to a 5 series, maybe this will give me the push I need.

OwlFancier posted:

Performance does struggle yes as the game simulates a shitload of stuff. Try fiddling with the settings, some people have reported volumetric fog makes it bad though I can run it on my old PC, but screenspace reflections tank it to hell and back, soft shadows aren't great either.

I think split is the best DLC because it integrates across a good swathe of the northern universe, then terrans, then I guess either boron or TOA depending on which you like. Boron ships and stations are very good but they are very isolated from the universe both in terms of equipment cross compatibility and geographically so they're kind of a non-presence unless you specifically go looking for them. TOA is a limited amount of content and not super enjoyable, but it does have a couple of specifically neat ships and the sectors integrate into the center of the map so they're certainly a factor in most games.

I'll put that in the OP cos a few people have asked.

I had turned those settings down because I saw some people saying they were especially taxing, more so on AMD GPUs because of some kind of compatibility thing.

That DLC order is basically the order I was most interested in, so thank you for confirming that!

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 23, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I hope some sort of patch makes the boron more integrated because it really is a shame how little they actually matter, compared to how good their models are.

I don't know how you fit it with their character but where they're placed they really need to be more expansionist. Or connect one of the other gates in the provinces adrift to some other part of the universe.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Dal Busta needs to have a new mission to make the Boron great again.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Can you give away a station to a faction? Build some defenses in Heretic's End and hand it all over to the fishy friends.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not that I am aware of unless it is part of a mission to build a station for them. And I presume those won't generate in heretic's end.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Kingdom End was always kind of tucked in a corner even in X3. There were other pockets of Boron territory that saw most of the action. I’m not sure I’d want X4 to further embrace that kind of wildly distributed map set up though.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Give the Boron the Hub; have surprise Boron anywhere you want.

wilderthanmild posted:

Yeah, in general once you've built something on a single thread, it takes too much work, testing, and regression risk, to justify converting it. Usually the best you can do is parallelize parts of it but that kinda just nibbles around the edges of the problem. I didn't think I saw a single core getting pegged, but it might be effectively spreading that thread around cores depending how that's written(like one tick runs on core 0, the next runs on core 3, the next runs on core 1) all still sequentially of course.

That's a scheduling decision your OS makes. I can identify one dominant thread that stays on one CPU for a bit before being shuffled to another, but identifying it precisely is a bit more effort.

The problem really is causality. If we didn't need it, simulation would be so much easier. Oh, and path finding, of course.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

wilderthanmild posted:

I've been debating upgrading my 3 series to a 5 series, maybe this will give me the push I need.
There's so much of video game programming that, as I understand it, cannot be multithreaded - because you're up against the fundamental realtime constraints of needing to do a bunch of processing that needs to be presented on a screen at a given FPS (whatever that FPS is - if you miss the target for that frame, you can't present it later, you have to throw it out).

Throwing it over to a light-weight process on an N:M scheduler risks it getting stuck waiting on I/O, and async/wait is out because you can't just wait on something until it decides it's ready for you.

Antigravitas posted:

That's a scheduling decision your OS makes. I can identify one dominant thread that stays on one CPU for a bit before being shuffled to another, but identifying it precisely is a bit more effort.

The problem really is causality. If we didn't need it, simulation would be so much easier. Oh, and path finding, of course.
The problem is, if you move a software thread onto a different hardware thread, you're throwing away sets of cachelines in both L1 and L2, and those are by far the fastest caches (L3 is almost an order of magnitude slower, even if it's a lot bigger on the X3D).

I don't know that there's a solution to this other than CPU pinning, and to do that properly you'd essentially want the program to be able to hint to the scheduler which software threads should be pinned to what hardware threads.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I hope some sort of patch makes the boron more integrated because it really is a shame how little they actually matter, compared to how good their models are.

This is by far my biggest issue with Kingdom End and why I'm probably like you shelving my playthrough until VRO 6.0 comes in. The sectors, models and plotline were all great (not counting the Nav Beacons someone daily has issues with in the Discord), but there's nothing really to do with the Boron and there's no real longterm plotline either like the Split/Paranid had (unless you count Terraforming, but eeeeeh). They're boring in terms of their impact on the map! At least in ToA VIG sent out raiding parties and had RIP with their scrap economy somewhat solving the clay/hull part economic crisis.

Next playthrough I'll probably put on Deadairs Dynamic Wars and make them hostile with whomever their neighbour is.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah that's why I put those two neck in neck, for all that ToA has pretty meh content, the end result for me was still a serious bunch of assholes in the middle of the map causing problems, which influences my playthrough. The boron I basically haven't engaged with since reconnecting them because they're not really any different from anywhere else.

The terrans at least are actively interventionist, their fleets show up all around the western side of the map and they have two connection points into the rest of the map. The borons proper are hidden behind a chain of sectors and are just generally very inactive as a faction. Very strange choice.

I might try one of the big map overhauls too if they are updated.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I finally tried that first new start from the boron DLC, is teleporting the PHQ into Heretics End at the very start such a good idea Egosoft? That sector is always a hotspot for khaak activity right away.

Edit: Maybe im just negative but it seems like a much worse prospect to me than Grand Exchange.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Heretic's End isn't that bad. And it's just the PHQ.

I think it's cool to have game starts that throw a bit of a curveball at you.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I never really got into the X games as they seemed like they had a hugely steep learning curve. Has X4 and it's recent updates helped any in that regard, or is it still very unapproachable?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's still a learning wall.

Unlike previous titles, there's at least lots of videos to teach you.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

FrickenMoron posted:

I finally tried that first new start from the boron DLC, is teleporting the PHQ into Heretics End at the very start such a good idea Egosoft? That sector is always a hotspot for khaak activity right away.

Edit: Maybe im just negative but it seems like a much worse prospect to me than Grand Exchange.

I haven't seen a single Ka'ahk in Heretics End so far. They're all down harrassing my miners in Second Contact VII.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lamquin posted:

This is by far my biggest issue with Kingdom End and why I'm probably like you shelving my playthrough until VRO 6.0 comes in. The sectors, models and plotline were all great (not counting the Nav Beacons someone daily has issues with in the Discord), but there's nothing really to do with the Boron and there's no real longterm plotline either like the Split/Paranid had (unless you count Terraforming, but eeeeeh). They're boring in terms of their impact on the map! At least in ToA VIG sent out raiding parties and had RIP with their scrap economy somewhat solving the clay/hull part economic crisis.

Next playthrough I'll probably put on Deadairs Dynamic Wars and make them hostile with whomever their neighbour is.

They do? I've never seen this. Nothing's really left those sectors at all in my game since I bought the expansion except like a couple RIP traders

Maybe that's just because it's an old save though

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The universe is loving swarming with vigor syndicate plunderer barbarossas and they occasionally come with an escort wing of a dozen kyds all armed with shotguns which will take a lot of ships to pieces in short order.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I haven't seen a single Ka'ahk in Heretics End so far. They're all down harrassing my miners in Second Contact VII.

I found out that actually there was a khaak hive in heretics end in my save, which i didn't know until the split asked me to blow it up :v:

They don't seem active unless you kick the nest or do mining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

yeah, I figured. We'll see what happens then. I've got Mining Rig #2 Station building in Heretics end (Mining Rig #1 is down in SC-IIFP).

Its kind of crazy just how much money my Ore Mining Rig is pulling in. Its an extremely simple station; 2 3M6S pads, a 3-pier dock, a single L solid storage module, and a few connector bits. Its fed ore by four L Magnetar miners, and then the Ore is shipped out for sale to stations by a squadron of Six "Minecart" Drill Miners (that don't even have mining lasers since they're just transports). Occasionally other ships dock at the Rig to buy ore too. Every few minutes those Minecarts are selling ~50k loads of ore to the neighboring sectors. Which doesn't sound like a lot, but adds up fast. It has easily paid for itself and its support fleet after ~6-8 hours of working.

The L miners were an expensive investment but it worked decently well with my original squadron of "Mattock" Drill miners under I started replacing them with the Magnetars, folding the surviving Mattocks (RIP Mattocks 2, 4, and 5, drat Kha'ak) into Minecart squadron.

It even looks kinda nice.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 23, 2023