Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Megazver posted:

Gaiman's Sandman, a little bit.

Yeah, in looking around, a lot of people say that. It's been years since I read Sandman, maybe it's worth another read. I actually found a reddit post from the man himself where he was recommending books like mount char and he listed Planetary and The Invisibles. He also said William Hope Hodgson is a major inspiration, specifically the novella The Night Land, but unless you wanna read 100 year old New England Weirdo Lit, doesn't seem like a lot out there outside of comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Megazver posted:

Gaiman's Sandman, a little bit.

If you want to go a little bit, there's also Gaiman's American Gods, but The Library at Mount Char is very much its own thing. It's highly original so you really are not going to find a bunch of stuff "just like it."

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
I felt like the game Hades matched the tone of Library at Mount Char. It made me read a bunch of Greek mythology that was pretty dull, but Circe also matched pretty well.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

zoux posted:

Yeah, in looking around, a lot of people say that. It's been years since I read Sandman, maybe it's worth another read. I actually found a reddit post from the man himself where he was recommending books like mount char and he listed Planetary and The Invisibles. He also said William Hope Hodgson is a major inspiration, specifically the novella The Night Land, but unless you wanna read 100 year old New England Weirdo Lit, doesn't seem like a lot out there outside of comics.

You might also want to look in to the tabletop RPG Nobilis by Jenna Moran and the fiction surrounding it (of which there's quite a bit). Mount Char's cosmology and vibe are extremely resonant with Nobilis - I made a post about this a while back, so I'm going to just quote myself here:

Kestral posted:

Since there's definitely an overlap between "people who post in the TBB SF/F thread" and "people who might be interested in tabletop roleplaying games," I'm compelled to mention that if you enjoy The Library at Mount Char and also have any interest in RPGs whatsoever, you owe it to yourself to check out Jenna K. Moran's Nobilis: the Game of Sovereign Powers. It's available on DriveThruRPG in several editions, I'm not sure which of them is currently regarded as the go-to but I can vouch for the nigh-legendary second edition through actual play. There's a 4th Edition coming out in the nearish future as well. Nobilis is the closest thing we're ever likely to see to a Library at Mount Char RPG, and they are both singular and weird and beautiful in many overlapping ways. The Library and Father are basically one-to-one a Chancel and an Imperator, the Librarians are the Nobilis of various domains, and the myriad weird and terrifyingly powerful and ancient beings that are all over Mount Char are the sorts of things Nobilis protagonists spend a lot of their time conducting diplomacy or making war against.

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010

Velius posted:

I think Hamilton is more an idea guy than a “what are the actual moral consequences of this idea” guy. I guess what I want is “The Overly Indulgent Space Opera (with) Baru Cormorant”, what can I do to make this happen?

I love Hamilton to pieces, but reading his books is entirely about the characters and worlds he builds. He does not have a single *great* ending. It’s almost as if he panics at book 2.5 when he realises he has 40 stories to close off as well as the main storyline in 15 chapters.

As for the Night’s Dawn trilogy the main plot point people haven’t mentioned is the implied “hell” of the returnees. It’s mentioned numerous times that there’s an element of choice to the afterlife. Those that return are those that didn’t choose to move on and that’s partly to do with how fulfilled they were when they died.

Some great general setup, with zero follow-through in the last few chapters of the book.

If you do like how Hamilton writes, the Commonwealth saga and Dreaming Void saga are far better written. Stay far away from his recent series which was confused at best, poorly considered and executed at worst.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
I think some of Tim Powers' stuff touches on similar notes as library at mount char. Anubis Gates or Last Call maybe?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hades, Last Call, and Anubis Gates as potential similarities? I gotta read this thing, clearly.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Pinball Jizzard posted:

If you do like how Hamilton writes, the Commonwealth saga and Dreaming Void saga are far better written. Stay far away from his recent series which was confused at best, poorly considered and executed at worst.

Is that the Salvation Sequence series? I haven't got around to that yet and I was thinking of reading it.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I read Char for the first time this past fall finally after years of hearing all the praise and recommendation. I quite liked it but find it a bit overrated. That could just be the effect of hearing about it so long before trying it. The ending was dragged out and I wasn’t impressed by there being not one but two “all according to plan” moments. There’s an originality to it I don’t find often in my picks and for a first novel it’s drat impressive.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Okay, at 140~ pages into Shapechangers by Jennifer Roberson, I can't. I've owned this book since I was a teenager - always kept it on the shelf, thought of reading it one day. Then a few years back I figured I'd complete the Cheysuli set and read them, and bought the books and... didn't read them. This week I decided that no, damnit, I'd at least finish this book as it's only 200 pages and I hear the rest of it is good. A fantasy family saga with shapeshifters and magic and fun stuff.

I'd even heard this one wasn't so good, but it opened the way for better stuff.

Unfortunately it's one of the worst books I've had the misfortune of reading.

Summary
In generic fantasy kingdom 1, the king has only managed to have one heir: a girl! Oh no! Fine. She's been given an arranged marriage to another kingdom, for peace and prosperity. But she hates the guy, and instead runs off with the king's most trusted retainer, a cheysuli. In this setting, cheysuli are a race of brown-skinned, yellow-eyed, magical people who are one with the land, can talk to animals and transform into them, and other things. Yeah they're bad Native American stereotypes.

Anyways, because she ran off with him, the king said "gently caress it" and declared genocide on all cheysuli, everywhere.

That's the backstory. It's bad.

Now the story, it's worse: one day, sweet innocent croft-girl Alix is out meeting the king's prince (the king found another wife) in secret, because they're in love. But now they've been kidnapped by evil cheysuli! Oh no! The cheysuli explain there's a prophecy, Alix is actually half-Cheysuli as she's the daughter of the princess, she's Important. They also try to rape her, and only stop because it's revealed that they're actually half-siblings. But don't worry! Rape will be threatened a LOT by basically everyone, especially Alix's love interest.

Alix, as much as I want to root for the heroine of a fantasy novel, is the least likable lead I've ever met. She is not consistent. "The cheysuli are demons and I hate them, I want to go with you," she tells the prince in one scene. "Maybe the cheysuli are cool and I want to know more, I want to stay with you," she tells the cheysuli in the next scene. "No actually you're demons and I want to go with him," she says in the next scene. This repeats... basically all the time? "Tell me about this prophecy already or I won't go with you. I promise I'll go once I hear it." -> "oh I hate that prophecy! I'm not going with you!" -> "I love you so much I will do anything to guarantee we can get married, including getting pregnant right now" -> "You have a prior flame that you didn't realize you still had feelings for? I hate you so much!" -> "I love you!" -> "I hate you!"

This does not get better at any point. The leads get fed up with her, and at one point the love interest actually cuts off her hair to make sure she can't go back on her choice of rejecting him. (This is hosed up!) Anyways she goes back on her choice of rejecting him and tries to seduce him.

The prophecy is also bad, alongside the way the genocide is used: there's a prophecy that says the cheysuli will win and good things will happen IF the right babies are had. So Alix has to get pregnant. But also! Because of the genocide, their numbers are low, so it's absolutely OK for cheysuli to impregnate as many women as possible. Apparently they've been kidnapping and raping women to survive. hosed up.

If this were treated with literally any gravitas it could be interesting and devastating- I have never read a book from the perspective of someone suffering from a genocide outside of the holocaust, so it could be, y'know... harrowing. Especially with how fantasy loves to go hard for eugenics. That could be interesting, in a hosed up way.

Instead it's just... badly written, rude as gently caress, and rape rape rape rape.

All that, in 140 pages. Christ. I'm not reading more. I checked out the first few pages of the second book in case it improved, as reviews said it did, but it opens with the prince being pals with the guy who first tried to rape Alix, so OK yeah goodbye I expected better of you author.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

General Battuta posted:

There are no books like it.

I emailed with him a few times and he just has had a super rough time. poo poo sucks.

Hasn’t he written a bunch of technical Linux books as well?
I always imagined him as a one good book author.
Which to be fair is perfectly ok given that this book comes back all the time in this thread.

pradmer posted:

The Boy on the Bridge (Girl with All the Gifts #2) by MR Carey - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LL8BX9Q/

A sequel to Girl with all the gifts is a little bit odd, given how the first ended.
Also, is not The last of us basically the first book? Haven’t seen the TV series but the synopsis sounded similar enough.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Follow-up post: there is an entire reread blog series on tor.com about the cheysuli novels.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So, CJ Cherryh. Ages ago I read 40k in Gehenna, which I vaguely remember, and Downbelow Station , which I don't at all beyond the title and that I liked it. Where should I start with her in general?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

So, CJ Cherryh. Ages ago I read 40k in Gehenna, which I vaguely remember, and Downbelow Station , which I don't at all beyond the title and that I liked it. Where should I start with her in general?

Pride of Chanur!

What do you like best about her stuff? Do you like fantasy or sci-fi or both?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

The Cherryh fangirl has logged on

Her best entry points:

- Pride of Chanur Standalone, alien pov, 200~ pages. A crew of merchant lion aliens find a stowaway human and have to play politics to keep him out of other alien hands. One of her best imo. It has a sequel trilogy and that has a comedy/lighter-n-softer sequel. Only vaguely related to her main universe.

- Merchanter's Luck Standalone, humans, short. Focused on a pilot trying to impress a girl, kind of - it's darker, I remember the main character dealing with past trauma. This one is a great introduction to her primary universe, the Alliance-Union universe as it shows off characters and the setting of Downbelow Station.

Her Alliance-Union universe: hard sci-fi except for the FTL, which is based around the concept that the ships can go FTL, but if humans go into it without drugs, they'll see visions and usually die or go insane.

- Downbelow Station isn't as good as the rewards would have you believe, sadly, but it's still a fascinating book. It's about a space station caught between two sides of the war, taking in refugees and risking riots, and the multiple povs are people caught up in trying to make this stuff not explode into firey death. Unfortunately it has aliens and they're the planetside primitives, and Cherryh wrote them... poorly. Which sucks as aliens are usually her strong point! But not here. Here the aliens are noble savages.

- Cyteen is her best work, bar none. It's a giant novel that was split up into three parts for publication. It's super heavy and complicated, and I need to warn for slavery, rape, abuse, and similar triggers. It starts slow and weird, setting up the world: the colonized planet that's been ruled by a super-genius lady. Yes, there's a council, but she's been a heavy player for so long that when she's murdered, it upsets everything. Her family sets out to clone her and raise the clone to be her best heir... but things get complicated. There's a fascinating gay romance tucked into it, and lots of questions about what makes someone human.

- Regensis is Cyteen's sequel and while I loved it, it's not going to take you to the heights of Cyteen. It's honestly the author going "hey I'd like to see these characters again, see what they're up to" and doing just that without really expanding the concepts. More of a comfort-food sequel than a mind-expanding one.

- Rimrunners is about a soldier who's lost and literally starving for food and work at the beginning, and gets picked up by a ship that's not trustworthy or friendly. I haven't finished this one as it's so bleak, but I keep meaning to come back to it.

- Heavy Time / Hellburners is... they're prequels to the whole setting, and start about mining and wind up in military sci-fi territory, and I need to give them a better read than I did.

- Finity's End is about a teenager finding a home in a spaceship and also there's a lot of worldbuilding in the Alliance side of the universe. This one works better as a vague sequel to Downbelow Station I think? I remember enjoying it a lot.

- I don't remember Tripoint, sorry. And I haven't read Serpent's Reach, though I understand it's only vaguely, VAGUELY connected to this universe as it's set many millions of years away on a planet where the local humans coexist with the local bug aliens. The A-U universe rarely features aliens!

- Forty Thousand in Gehenna is another one of her great works. One faction dropped a colony ship on a planet and supported it while they built a colony and used their clone-people to help, and then the war shifted and they were abandoned. Cue the colony disintegrating and the genre shifting as it follows generations into a kind of fantasy story, as the offspring of the colony become kind of... bonded? With the local weird lizards, and it gets weird and cool.

Foreigner Series

- Foreigner is a series set up in trios.

The concept is that a human colony ship got lost on its way to its destination, and through a string of events it drops colonists on an alien planet and they settle and make peace, then war with the natives, and we enter the story centuries later. The humans live on a humans-only continent and interact with the aliens through a diplomat-translator who lives with the aliens. His name is Bren, and he will be your pov character for the next 20+ books.

The first trilogy is about Bren learning about the aliens and their politics and a major upheaval happening and spoilers spoilers spoilers

The second continues this, and I'll be blunt: consider the series finished at book 6. Books 1-6 are a closed story that's really fascinating and fun. Books 7+ are the author going "hey this is fun, can I keep going?" and she does. A new pov character enters, the author goes hard on delving into the alien society and really exploring it, and it becomes weirdly court intrigue cozy sci-fi with occasional adventures. I love it deeply but it slows down and becomes a relaxed adventure instead of the nail-biter it was before.

I've reread the whole thing at least twice and will do it a third time, don't tempt me.

Her Other Works

- Fortress in the Eye of Time is epic fantasy, and I adore it. A mage tries to summon back an ancient elf-lord-mage and fails... and succeeds. He gets a blank slate named Tristen instead, a boy who loves birds and doesn't understand anything. An evil mage destroys the mage, and Tristen is rudely forced to head out and grow up. The other protagonist is the young prince who quickly becomes an unready king, and this is one of my favorite depictions of medieval kingship in fantasy: he has to bargain and deal with the twin forces of the church (who hate elves) and his many lords, who are so eager to throw his authority aside.

The first book ends in a final battle against an ancient evil, but then the sequels are about the fallout and development of everyone in the universe. It's fascinating, and kind of feels like a prototype Foreigner in that the author relaxes and goes to explore the universe instead of sticking to a focused story.

- The rest of them. They're going to vary from utter dogshit (Hestia) to fuckin' weird (Voyager in Night) to stuff I'm already regretting not writing up (Faded Sun Trilogy). And the Morgaine series, which was her first work and I admit it, I didn't like it.

Reading Cherryh is one of my favorite things to do as the books are almost always interesting, they're ALWAYS tense and uncomfortable (she's really good at making you feel a character's misery) and she nails aliens unlike any other author. Absolutely understands how to make them weird in believable ways. I wish to god she'd write more of them instead of sticking to A-U and its mostly alien-free setting.

All of this still holds true!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Pride of Chanur!

What do you like best about her stuff? Do you like fantasy or sci-fi or both?

I like both pretty evenly. What I thought was most memorable of 40k in Gehenna was how the alien species felt like something alien and not "randomly inscrutable" or "humans with one personality trait monolithically exaggerated and maybe with bits stuck on their face".

E ^^^ yeah that's perfect. Thanks!

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003RRXXMA/

The Wandering Earth by Cixin Liu - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QGMTFNW/

Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C Clarke - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XD75HGV/

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NHZVF5T/

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
So what sci-fi or fantasy books have exceptionally good/interesting treatments of religious faith?

I’ve read The Sparrow, The Book of Strange New Things and am nearing the end of Ship of Fools. I’ve also read Curse of Chalion but have not read the sequels.

I feel like scifi tends to do better in this area because of its close relation, or its ability to be closely related, to our world. So I think that would be my preference. But either way, to one extent or another I’ve loved all of these books for their relatively nuanced positions on the matter.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I was going to recomend BOOK OF STRANGE NEW THINGS because it takes the unusual (and, in my opinion, admirable) step of being about someone who's just kind of a mediocre dumbass, as most of us are. But you've already read it.

A CASE OF CONSCIENCE maybe? Bit of a throwback but...

Also maybe OUT OF THE SILENT PLANET?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

BurningBeard posted:

So what sci-fi or fantasy books have exceptionally good/interesting treatments of religious faith?

I think the Coldfire trilogy by CS Friedman does it interestingly at least, but it's also fantasy with some tendencies to purple prose. I'd call it maybe good genre fantasy, maybe.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

General Battuta posted:

I was going to recomend BOOK OF STRANGE NEW THINGS because it takes the unusual (and, in my opinion, admirable) step of being about someone who's just kind of a mediocre dumbass, as most of us are. But you've already read it.

A CASE OF CONSCIENCE maybe? Bit of a throwback but...

Also maybe OUT OF THE SILENT PLANET?

Man is he ever a dumbass. The slow destruction of everything dear to him because of his obsession and single-mindedness was a bit hard to read. I liked Strange New Things less than Under The Skin but that bit of it was wild and affecting.

I’ll look into the other two.

It now occurrs to me A Canticle For Leibowitz impacted me pretty strongly a long time ago, but it’s been so many years that I think I should probs revisit it. If I don’t find something new that’s probably what I’ll end up doing.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
The thing I remember most about Mount Char is that it got to a place where I thought, ok, that's the ending. But there was like 3/4ths of the book left and usually when that happens it's a very bad sign. But no, it sticks one landing and then does a triple gainer and sticks the landing again.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

I finished Char a few weeks ago. I describe my glowing realization of the plot as "The Emperor from WH40K is my boss, and suddenly I have to be acting manager."

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

General Battuta posted:

This book is notable for the stupidity of a key revelation 90% of the way through that underpins every aspect of the plot

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

StrixNebulosa posted:

All of this still holds true!

Great write up, but I would put morgaine close to the top. Excellent, gritty fantasy with an incredibly slow burn love story.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Kestral posted:

You might also want to look in to the tabletop RPG Nobilis by Jenna Moran and the fiction surrounding it (of which there's quite a bit). Mount Char's cosmology and vibe are extremely resonant with Nobilis - I made a post about this a while back, so I'm going to just quote myself here:

People who enjoy Jenna Moran's prose should definitely read her RPG books, if only for the incredible fake book quote flash fiction she writes in the margins. Basically, like all modern RPG books, Moran's books are filled with pretentious quotes from obscure authors, all of whom are completely made up and written by Moran herself. Here is a random sample from the middle of "Glitch", my favorite game of hers:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

BurningBeard posted:

I’ve read The Sparrow, The Book of Strange New Things and am nearing the end of Ship of Fools. I’ve also read Curse of Chalion but have not read the sequels.

I feel like scifi tends to do better in this area because of its close relation, or its ability to be closely related, to our world. So I think that would be my preference. But either way, to one extent or another I’ve loved all of these books for their relatively nuanced positions on the matter.

I've recommended it like a billion times already, but one more won't hurt: The Book of the Dun Cow.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It's not a book but if you haven't watched it in a minute, Deep Space Nine still has some very thoughtful commentary on faith and tolerance, both the beauty of religion and how it can be misused as a tool of oppression and bigotry.

I had a glance at The Book of Strange New Things once but - is that the one where the guy is sitting in an airport or something at the start and thinks moodily to himself about how everyone is probably JUDGING HIM because he has a BIBLE with him? Because I got exactly that far and my eyes rolled out of their sockets and away down the street. Probably unfair, I'm sure it's good, and I've liked that author in other books, but ugh.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Great write up, but I would put morgaine close to the top. Excellent, gritty fantasy with an incredibly slow burn love story.

Morgaine and I just haven't clicked, sadly - but then I'm not a huge fan of her earliest works. I think the only set in that "era" that I like are the Fallen Sun novels, as the rest are just too much for me.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

HopperUK posted:

It's not a book but if you haven't watched it in a minute, Deep Space Nine still has some very thoughtful commentary on faith and tolerance, both the beauty of religion and how it can be misused as a tool of oppression and bigotry.

I had a glance at The Book of Strange New Things once but - is that the one where the guy is sitting in an airport or something at the start and thinks moodily to himself about how everyone is probably JUDGING HIM because he has a BIBLE with him? Because I got exactly that far and my eyes rolled out of their sockets and away down the street. Probably unfair, I'm sure it's good, and I've liked that author in other books, but ugh.

That sounds about right. Him being a knob is kinda part and parcel of his character though. You’re definitely meant to roll your eyes at a lot of his behavior. I’d say it’s worth another try if you are interested in the subject matter. Though as I said, I think Under The Skin was a far better book.

Selachian posted:

I've recommended it like a billion times already, but one more won't hurt: The Book of the Dun Cow.

Oh this looks neat. I normally don’t go in for alagorical type things, but I’m interested.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 23, 2023

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
drat this first Mistwraith book is a brick. I'm not finding the prose too much, I read poo poo like this all the time because I'm unbearable, but the actual quality of the printing in this mass market paperback is appalling. So blurry.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cardiac posted:

A sequel to Girl with all the gifts is a little bit odd, given how the first ended.

It's not a sequel, it's a prequel about what happened to the Rosalind Franklin.

On the subject of Mike Carey: I just finished his latest novel Infinity Gate. Won't go into much detail, but it's a hard recommend unless you really hate cliffhangers - in which case wait until next year for the other half of the story. I got to the end and it stopped just short of revealing the identity of the narrator, which is likely to be rather important. I had up to a point assumed it was a certain character, but the last chapter makes it absolutely clear that it isn't.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Kestral posted:

In addition to this recommendation (which is solid), she's also written a bunch of fiction that isn't part of Nobilis but has similar vibes:
- Hitherby Dragons, an online collection of short stories;
- Magical Bears in the Context of Contemporary Political Theory, a collection of short fiction, some original and some reprints from Hitherby
- The Night-Bird's Feather, a novel

Ravenfood posted:

This is normally the part where I grab you and start shoving books down your throat, but it looks like StrixNebulosa already beat me to it. :v:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
just read Babel-17 and it was good but it put me in the mood for Space Pirates. any space piracy recommendations?

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

HopperUK posted:

drat this first Mistwraith book is a brick. I'm not finding the prose too much, I read poo poo like this all the time because I'm unbearable, but the actual quality of the printing in this mass market paperback is appalling. So blurry.

The Kindle edition had a ton of problems, like typos and and weird formatting errors. Apparently the 2nd book is even worse per the Amazon reviews; in some cases entire sentences are cut off. It's a real shame

I get why physical books can have problems because it's a physical process with a lot of moving pieces. I've purchased a lot of One Piece over the years and I feel like I could reasonably guess which books came from the same printers due to the similarities in the imperfections

but why aren't ebooks just... patched like a video game? is it really that hard, technically or legally? It's just so unprofessional and kind of embarrassing that publishers let their ebooks look like trash forever

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It probably doesn't pay. If there's only one ebook version, people are going to buy it anyway so there's nothing in it for the publisher.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

RDM posted:

This book is notable for the stupidity of a key revelation 90% of the way through that underpins every aspect of the plot

I really like it, it worked for me.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

HopperUK posted:

People we don’t like or wouldn’t get along with can still be interesting to read about. I like that book for really committing to a protagonist who’s sort of dim and very committed to a form of Christianity most of us (myself included) probably find frustrating, but he’s still trying to be a good person in the best way he thinks he can.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
:siren::siren:FREE AVRAM DAVIDSON BOOKS GIVEAWAY:siren::siren:

Avram Davidson is one of my favourite SF/F authors ever and very likely your faves' fave. To celebrate 100 years since his birth the current licensee, his godson Seth, is giving away several of his books for FREE for the next 5 days:

The Avram Davidson Treasury: A Tribute Collection

His best of collection with a bunch of fore and afterwords to each story from notable SF writers including Ursula Le Guin, Ray Bradbury, Gene Wolfe, William Gibson and more.

The Boss in The Wall: A Treatise on the House Devil

One of my favourites and genuinely unsettling horror story

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

BurningBeard posted:

Walter M Miller's short stories collected in The Dark Benediction are very good for this as well, especially the title story.