Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Really wish a link between worlds was available on switch. I’d love to give it another play through before totk. Sound like a perfect appetizer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I've been playing Minish Cap because I cant find a cheap copy of Skyward Sword

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Len posted:

it's to stop people from saying "yes i have" when really they haven't and then they go online and say THIS GAME IS TRASH but it's because they opted to skip the tutorial

Yeah, you can't be too careful with games journalists nowadays.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

it's to stop people from saying "yes i have" when really they haven't and then they go online and say THIS GAME IS TRASH but it's because they opted to skip the tutorial

though this now introduces the new problem of a second, different group of people going online and saying THIS GAME IS SUPER-TRASH, because they were forced to sit through an unskippable tutorial

game devs can never win

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Mr.Acula posted:

I've been playing Minish Cap because I cant find a cheap copy of Skyward Sword

it's ok you can stop looking. forever.

i'm putting silly amounts of time into Xenoblade 3 and i'm very fond of how self-assured it is. it just has a lot faith that you will care about its latest 20 minute cutscene and hey, i do. i will miss this cast

ever since mgs4 i have been keeping an eye out for games that go all-in in that way, or close to it. also, i'm a big fan cheesy evil lieutenants, like X-COM 2's Chosen, so it's p great that there's a literal dozen of those goobers in here. this game has everything

(except for visible equipment..)

Ramie fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Apr 23, 2023

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Does it matter what SD card I get for this thing?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not as long as you avoid suspiciously cheap looking ones on Amazon

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Len posted:

What’s funny is the tutorials for other elements (submarines, bases) CAN be skipped.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Snackmar posted:

Advance Wars 1+2 trip report

- Oh that's nice, I'm being asked if I've played an Advance Wars already - yup, sure have!
- "Great! Well just think of this unskippable tutorial as a refresher!"

:ughh:

It only partially helps bur holding start skips dialog

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The tutorial takes like 6 minutes and it’s actually helpful unless you played the GBA games like just last week. I would have never known you could hold B on an enemy unit to see their range.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Advance Wars making me do the opening tutorial no matter what and then letting me skip every other tutorial in the campaign is a good bit

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Len posted:

Dude its a baby game nobody needs to be explained the rules lol

E: lol I guess I had too much confidence in people

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I've never played an advanced war b4 so I appreciate

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I'd like to play Phantom Hourglass or Link Between Worlds. I guess I need to pick up an old 3DS? I don't see how you can get them on the switch with them dual screens.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Eh, Link between worlds doesn't really need a second screen, it's just map and inventory, and you don't need to change items enough that losing the touch screen would hurt the game.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Mainwaring posted:

Maybe if enough people buy it they'll patch in decent online support....

Wayforward? Patches? lmao.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Lol at complaining about the tutorial in the reboot, the original games tutorial was like loving...half the game

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Honestly the whole of aw1 is merely a tutorial for aw2

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

what's an airport again?

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Dude its a baby game nobody needs to be explained the rules lol

E: lol I guess I had too much confidence in people

chill gamer

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

Astro7x posted:

So what’s the fastest MicroSD card the switch can take where you are not overpaying for speed that it can’t use?

This seems all microSD card related

All of the needed game data is preloaded into active memory on the switch before the match begins. Your video is happening in a match which means the SD card isn't actively doing anything. Specifically, the part of the screen that is glitching out is a live, overhead camera pointed at the map. It's not something loaded in after the timer ends. What's depicted looks like a memory leak. If you leave Splatoon 3 open for long periods of time ( /putting the switch into sleep mode instead of closing the game) you should fully restart the game to see if the problem goes away. I highly doubt you have corrupted game data, but you could try redownloading the game if the problem persists.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

What is an airport?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s the part of your face you breathe through I think

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Hey quick question - gonna get a new microSD card before ToTK comes out since mine is teetering in full up. Is there anything I'll need to do with the new card aside from just moving the files from the older microSD on my computer?

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

I snagged a Pro Controller for 30% off and I'm debating if I should go for the 8bitdo Ultimate instead.

Anyone with both controllers care to chime in?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Shwqa posted:

What is an airport?

A miserable pile of luggage

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Chic Trombone posted:

Hey quick question - gonna get a new microSD card before ToTK comes out since mine is teetering in full up. Is there anything I'll need to do with the new card aside from just moving the files from the older microSD on my computer?

You can’t just move the files over you have to download everything anew

Yes it sucks

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
You can just move the files over if you’re just upgrading the card on the same switch. Unless you’re using MacOS where you have to do some arcane terminal commands to delete the ._ files that prevent the switch from reading anything

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

glassyalabolas posted:

I snagged a Pro Controller for 30% off and I'm debating if I should go for the 8bitdo Ultimate instead.

The difference is minimal if both controllers are brand new. Forced to make a choice, I prefer the ultimate overall because of the better d-pad, paddles, and the driftless sticks

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

For twelve years you've been asking: What's an airport?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Somehow the airport returned

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

dervival posted:

what's an airport again?

A really fun level in THPS3

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Octopath 2 is one of the funnest jrpgs I have ever played. Playing this game is exactly what it felt like to play FF6 as a kid so yeah if you like RPGs you should probably buy this game at some point

I don't get much gaming time during the week but on the weekends I'm clocking substantial 6 to 8 hours sessions of non-stop gameplay. I could probably do with less cutscenes but I am completely addicted to the combat n gameplay mechanics and the fact that every single character has their own shtick or gimmick which you can continue to invest in or build out

Then you can layer an additional secondary class on top of every single character to further build out and any gaps they may have. This is insanely fun to think about and implement. These secondary classes are based on primary character classes so you're pretty much getting to mash character combos to your liking.

Difficulty wise, the game is not hard enough to where you need to super optimize so you can out level any challenges with gear or grinding. This means that you're pretty much free to build up your people how you want.

E: I went with ochette the hunter as my main which is literally the best/most op option. Did someone order the "smt protagonist" combo?

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Apr 24, 2023

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

glassyalabolas posted:

Ultimate is better and it's not close.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

KingSlime posted:

Octopath 2 is one of the funnest jrpgs I have ever played. Playing this game is exactly what it felt like to play FF6 as a kid so yeah if you like RPGs you should probably buy this game at some point

I don't get much gaming time during the week but on the weekends I'm clocking substantial 6 to 8 hours sessions of non-stop gameplay. I could probably do with less cutscenes but I am completely addicted to the combat n gameplay mechanics and the fact that every single character has their own shtick or gimmick which you can continue to invest in or build out

Then you can layer an additional secondary class on top of every single character to further build out and any gaps they may have. This is insanely fun to think about and implement. These secondary classes are based on primary character classes so you're pretty much getting to mash character combos to your liking.

Difficulty wise, the game is not hard enough to where you need to super optimize so you can out level any challenges with gear or grinding. This means that you're pretty much free to build up your people how you want.

E: I went with ochette the hunter as my main which is literally the best/most op option. Did someone order the "smt protagonist" combo?

Is it a big improvement over the first one? The combat got old for me SUPER fast cause the battles took forever.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Red Rox posted:

Is it a big improvement over the first one? The combat got old for me SUPER fast cause the battles took forever.

Throughout the game my longest non boss encounters have been three or four turns. If I've had a good balanced party for the area, one or two turns

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Red Rox posted:

The combat is a lot faster so that goes a long way. And the skill that lowers random encounters feels a lot better in this one, maybe it scales by level? Since when I'm overleveled for an area I can walk from one side to the other and only get into a handful of fights.

Also the writing is generally a lot better too.

I enjoyed the first game a lot but the sequel has been better in pretty much every possible way.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

glassyalabolas posted:

I have the 8Bitdo Pro 2 and Nintendo Pro Controller, but I think my points still stand.

The 8Bitdo controller is the first time I felt like I wasn't playing with a janky 3rd party controller. What I don't like about it is that I have to power on the Switch first and can't start it with the controller, and that's pretty much it. The ability to do the button customization is why I keep using it. I have my custom profile for Splatoon with some macros assigned to the back buttons, and another profile for Goldeneye where I don't need to mess with the system accessibility options. I've also been using it on my computer now too, which is a huge bonus.

The D-Pad on the official pro-controller is also horrible. Tetris 99 is literally unplayable with it.

That said, I still love the feel of the Pro Controller and I'll use it on games where I don't need precision on the D-Pad and don't need button customization. I am not sure if the Ultimate feels more like the Pro Controller, but physically I still love the Pro Controller due to its size/weight.

Edit: Oh, I'll throw this out there too. For some odd reason my 8Bitdo controller is laggy in SOME unessential parts of games like menus. Like... we were playing Fall Guys the other day, and there was noticable lag going between all the character customization menus. I'll play Splatoon, and the button presses are laggy going through the menu to pick gear/weapons, but completely fine in matches! The official Pro Controller doesn't have these problems for me

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 24, 2023

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I'm not super deep in but Octopath 2 is compelling enough that I keep getting distracted before even assembling the full team of power octo rangers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

EDIT: Completely wrong thread!

Mr E fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 24, 2023