Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

sheri posted:

See, now I took the second "did we....yes we did" to mean "did we have an instant connection" or "did we just fall in love"

Yeah, it was this, the way he deliberated over the first "did we" was him interpretting what she could have meant before deciding she meant "sleep together" and firmly answering "no". The cutesy way this scene was portrayed doesn't really leave room for that last "we did" to mean "yes I assaulted you while you were passed out and then just lied about it", nor does the entire optimism and general awareness of the show really make that kind of storyline palatable.

The funnier thing is, unless we find out Rebecca is pregnant in the next episode or two and the show blatantly links it back to this fellow, this could very well be an "I acquit!"/"Shannon was stabbed" level debate for the rest of the season. Fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Rebecca: "Did we [have sex]?" Dutchman: "No."

Dutchman: "Did we [make love]? Yes."

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

His "did we... yes" was actually spoken to his accomplice off camera, they obviously slipped Rebecca the ricin cigarette.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Danzel Glovington posted:

His "did we... yes" was actually spoken to his accomplice off camera, they obviously slipped Rebecca the ricin cigarette.

If you listen closely you can hear Mike nod Waltingly

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I hate the stupid "dud batch" trope why can't it just be drugs for once

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

PantsBandit posted:

I hate the stupid "dud batch" trope why can't it just be drugs for once

Because it’s so much funnier when, in retrospect, Ted only opened himself up to the beauty of art because he thought it was what you’re supposed to do on drugs, and that the intense personal connection with Van Gogh’s work that could be assumed was artificially enhanced was actual genuine

Edit: phone autocorrected Van Gogh to Van High, so AI understands context and irony now

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seriously though why is this season so weirdly misogynist compared to the others? There’s still a bunch of women in the writers room. I find it baffling.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Seriously though why is this season so weirdly misogynist compared to the others? There’s still a bunch of women in the writers room. I find it baffling.

Sudeikis took a more active role in the writing this season, and asked for significant rewrites.

I'm not saying it's from him, specifically, but if you're looking at what changed that's the main thing. And there have been a lot of blind items about his treatment of women over the years, though that's not confirmation of anything.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 23, 2023

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

skeleton warrior posted:

Because it’s so much funnier when, in retrospect, Ted only opened himself up to the beauty of art because he thought it was what you’re supposed to do on drugs, and that the intense personal connection with Van Gogh’s work that could be assumed was artificially enhanced was actual genuine

Edit: phone autocorrected Van Gogh to Van High, so AI understands context and irony now

I just think it's lame that media can never fully acknowledge that psychotropics can be beneficial. It always has to end on the stupid "the drugs were inside you the whole time" message.

Also it just strains my suspension of disbelief when completely sober people think they're tripping balls. Especially someone who had done it before like Coach Beard.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 23, 2023

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Escobarbarian posted:

Seems like a crew that could go a step too far with the fake-out trope subversion. Maybe they thought "nobody will expect us to sideline our two women characters" was wacky and innovative?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

I just think it's lame that media can never fully acknowledge that psychotropics can be beneficial. It always has to end on the stupid "the drugs were inside you the whole time" message.

Also it just strains my suspension of disbelief when completely sober people think they're tripping balls. Especially someone who had done it before like Coach Beard.

With the revelation, it doesn't read so much as Beard tripping, as that he is stroking the couch feeling anxious, trying to get into the zone, and eventually decides that it's not working because Ted is there sober next to him killing the vibe.

Poopbutt
Aug 15, 2022
I was watching some Key and Peele on YouTube and was surprised to see some of Beard's backstory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJAGNad7FLI

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I love Sam's dad :swoon:

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Data Graham posted:

100%, loved the moment in the kitchen at the end.

Maybe… finally… again… this is the one where they’ve put it all together and next one will be a breakout…?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What a nice episode.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

what a lovely show

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Another great episode, just full of little character moments. Roy's string drill, and Ted's involvement drew a genuine laugh out loud.

Glad to see Nate making some growth too!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Good ep. I wish this season had gotten to the goods a little sooner!

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Roy cackling every time someones got hurt was great.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Fake Beard was pretty good too, especially the seat payoff a scene later.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I loved that Roy's idea for the revival of the dicklines was essentially what they ended up with as the final strategy.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

5 episodes left to wrap up the show.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Enjoyed this episode way more than the previous.

Data Graham posted:

This right here, I love their dynamic.

Edit: Still not sold on the Jack + Keeley thing though.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 26, 2023

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Trent Crimm, style icon

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

He has incredible hair, I'm so jealous.

It was also great to see Nate not spit on the mirror for once.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 26, 2023

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Skeezy posted:

As soon as I saw that he had made a box with his niece for his sister's birthday, I knew this was going to be the inflection point in his arc. The not spitting just sealed it.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It looks like next week is focusing on Ted’s wife dating her therapist , so I wonder how that’s going to go

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

bobjr posted:

It looks like next week is focusing on Ted’s wife dating her therapist , so I wonder how that’s going to go

#4 will protect him

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I've gotten into a habit of hate-watching this show but that there was a very good episode. Reminded me why I liked the show in the first place.

The Hausu Usher fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 26, 2023

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
shout out to everyone else who immediately thought of this video at the start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUz9xCTOPRw

anyway here's a short interview with Toheeb Jimoh (Sam) about this episode

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/ted-lasso-season-3-episode-7-toheeb-jimoh-interview

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Wee Bairns posted:

Fake Beard was pretty good too, especially the seat payoff a scene later.

Will as Beard was great. Beard was also a pretty good Will.

Skeezy posted:

Yeah I'm so glad to see Nate have that moment of growth.

WHISTLE!

And Ola owns.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 27, 2023

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I think that was pretty much the platonic ideal of a Ted Lasso episode. I went from nearly passing out from laughing too hard to a blubbering mess.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

That episode was just pure vibes and helped move all the characters and story along without much hassle. I was surprised that the director seems to only do TV because this felt extremely filmic.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Loved that bit in the car:

"Did you make things weird?"
"Yes of course I did."

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I hate what you've done to me :laugh:

Wonderful little episode, full of good vibes and they continue to surprise me in the best possible way with Nathan's storyline. Adored what we learned about his father in this episode.

Was I the only one who thought that the Home Secretary had a huge resemblance to Julia Hartley-Brewer?

Could someone explain the significance of "that's not number four"? I don't remember.

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 27, 2023

Steiv
Oct 16, 2005

Sweet Jesus it's the fabled Mardi Gras Cat-bird!

Adrianics posted:

I hate what you've done to me :laugh:

Wonderful little episode, full of good vibes and they continue to surprise me in the best possible way with Nathan's storyline. Adored what we learned about his father in this episode.

Was I the only one who thought that the Home Secretary had a huge resemblance to Julia Hartley-Brewer?

Could someone explain the significance of "that's not number four"? I don't remember.

Total Football is:
1. Conditioning
2. Versatility
3. Awareness
4. I don’t know what that one is yet, but it’s important

It’s just leaving the door open for a rousing speech about what number four truly means in the final/penultimate episode.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Steiv posted:

Total Football is:
1. Conditioning
2. Versatility
3. Awareness
4. I don’t know what that one is yet, but it’s important

It’s just leaving the door open for a rousing speech about what number four truly means in the final/penultimate episode.

1. Collect Underpants
2. ????????
3. Profit.

Anyways, great episode and shocking its because Ted interacts with the team and we are talking about the team again.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I'm trying to figure out the symbolism of all the shots of the shops extending the awnings down.

maybe the show's not that deep

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The return to football focus was pretty nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

manero posted:

I'm trying to figure out the symbolism of all the shots of the shops extending the awnings down.

maybe the show's not that deep

Getting back to business.