Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Cuttlefush posted:

who has called it the J35 exactly?

This Chinese blogger is pretty "official". Thats as official as you are going to get for now. You can turn on the subtitle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G16VMDuXXvA

Also he mentioned the new Korea 5th gen mini F35 in the video. Yeah they all look pretty much similar. And they all have the ugly gray -blue-green stealth paint. You can't have cool paint jobs anymore because no fun is allowed. You will never see me getting a F35 diecast toy for my kid.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 11:06 on Apr 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

there was a reported cyberattack in 2013 which allegedly allowed Chinese hackers to steal design data for the F-35

It wasn't hackers, someone just mailed it to them or something.

https://aviationweek.com/defense-space/aircraft-propulsion/honeywell-admits-sending-f-35-f-22-part-drawings-china

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

stephenthinkpad posted:

This Chinese blogger is pretty "official". Thats as official as you are going to get for now. You can turn on the subtitle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G16VMDuXXvA

Also he mentioned the new Korea 5th gen mini F35 in the video. Yeah they all look pretty much similar. And they all have the ugly gray -blue-green stealth paint. You can't have cool paint jobs anymore because no fun is allowed. You will never see me getting a F35 diecast toy for my kid.

gotcha, thanks. i was asking because i hadn't been able to find where the fc/j-35 thing came from. now i see that the serial numbers on the pictures/videos were 31xxxx and then 35xxxx for the prototypes

the F35 RAM/paint/whatever is nasty looking. im guessing it doesn't have a weird texture, but i can't help but get reminded of the red anti-fouling paint on ships

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

stephenthinkpad posted:

J31 is just a prototype, its been further developed into the J35 and they will only make it for the catapult Chinese carriers. So only complete with the F35BF35C variant I think.

Yes it's interesting they will use the "35" number since all the new Chinese aviation hardware uses the "20" number. You have J20, Y20, WZ20 and upcoming H20.

It is probably going to only be on carriers, but at the same time, it does give them a smaller/lighter 5th gen alternative to the J-20.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 11:32 on Apr 23, 2023

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

J31 is just a prototype, its been further developed into the J35 and they will only make it for the catapult Chinese carriers. So only complete with the F35BF35C variant I think.

Yes it's interesting they will use the "35" number since all the new Chinese aviation hardware uses the "20" number. You have J20, Y20, WZ20 and upcoming H20.

does the H20 land on water?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Heh China is making this to supply the SCS islands.

https://twitter.com/CGTNOfficial/status/1621153971170873345?t=u2KfaHlrhsF5_RuIplazOA&s=19

Its not as big as Emusk Howard Hughes's Spruse Goose and its not military. Otherwise they could have given it a "20" model name.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

https://twitter.com/CGTNOfficial/status/1621153971170873345?t=u2KfaHlrhsF5_RuIplazOA&s=19

Its not as big as Emusk Howard Hughes's Spruse Goose and its not military. Otherwise they could have given it a "20" model name.

gently caress yeah seaplanes rule

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

lol the charges were for "harming US national security"

penalty: $13m fine to the company, no individual charges

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

indigi posted:

lol the charges were for "harming US national security"

penalty: $13m fine to the company, no individual charges

13 million fine to company for leaking military secrets, but if you expose how stupid and callous the military is its gently caress you torture prison for at least 20 years

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1649101848295489551

totally not mad about my war enemy having planes just as capable as mine for less cost

Nobody look up US jet aircraft designs, 1946-50.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

Fuuuck yeah I'm gonna cum

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

gradenko_2000 posted:

They should call it the J6

Because it's gonna storm Washington

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

KomradeX posted:

13 million fine to company for leaking military secrets, but if you expose how stupid and callous the military is its gently caress you torture prison for at least 20 years

Given the average wealth/wages, 13 million is quiet a bit more than just one life.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I read about the F35 info being hacked a long time ago on an espionage subjected book, it happened in the Hu Jintao era and probably a few years before the FC31 prototype started.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/hacked-how-china-stole-us-technology-its-j-20-stealth-fighter-66231

There are a few articles on it and they said the Snowden docs confirmed it. I know it was common knowledge because I read about it before Snowden.

The funny thing is it was Lockheed Martin (subcontractor) that got hacked and LM turned around and started a cyber security consultant business without breaking a sweat.

And the hacking continued because this article I linked talked about new hacks, also not related to Honeywell "volunteer leak"?

Also I don't think the Chinese care about the stealth design principle that much because they have their own supercomputer to calculate stealth body shape but getting the details of the F35 body will help them figure out the radar signature of F35.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 01:15 on Apr 24, 2023

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

there is a long history of Chinese companies copying rather exactly western heavy industrial equipment. I’ve seen Huawei hatch covers on Chinese built handy vessels that even copied the McGregor logo plate. Similar things with copies of Cat DG ships generator sets.

these days I’m inclined to think they’d improve rather than copy.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Complaining about China copying anything is pretty :ironicat: given the history of US industrialization.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
The Chinese ability to quickly copy western designs shows their industrial shortcomings! Look at this MLRS with a bunch of tubes on the back, just like this Russian one!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

copy everything :filez:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

cat botherer posted:

Complaining about China copying anything is pretty :ironicat: given the history of US industrialization.

oh yeah we did the same things. I’m not complaining so much much as saying yes it definitely occurs. they disseminate things in a way find admirable too.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

the ancient romans stole all of the good ideas their army had and they were an empire for almost 2000 years, china is very wise

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

copy everything :filez:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

i would download a car i would download a song and i would definitely download a cnc machine

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
IMO the USA should copy something from China which we have seen works very well - their system of government.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Oglethorpe posted:

does the H20 land on water?

H2O Is water you dummy!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Weka posted:

IMO the USA should copy something from China which we have seen works very well - their system of government.

democratic centralism, democrat centrism, what's the difference

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

The j-31 is funny because if they did rip off the design they got rid of the absolutely brain dead single engine design

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Hatebag posted:

The j-31 is funny because if they did rip off the design they got rid of the absolutely brain dead single engine design

are there any VTOL jets that have twin engines

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Filthy Hans posted:

Yak-38

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

I'm thinking he meant traditional twin engines, not 1+2 vertical ones.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

He said twins, there's twin engines! What more do you want, you madman?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Filthy Hans posted:

No, not in the sense of two twin, similar functioning engines. They've all been one main engine and then weird little engines up front or the main engine powering vectored thrust and lift fans or the like.

Germany made some weird prototype plane that had 4 or 6 engines or something, but it never flew operationally, just some test flights then cancelled.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

interesting

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

yes that's what I was asking about

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Filthy Hans posted:

yes that's what I was asking about

so thrust vectoring only, two engines only?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_X-14?useskin=vector should fit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy2o10g1H6Y

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

thank you, Cuddlefish

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, the PLA is free from the requirements of the JSF programs, which gives them a much greater amount of leeway. Even if they took some of the design cues from the front of the F-35, they ended up with quite a different aircraft, and arguably the best of both worlds.

The compromises of the JSF made sense in the context of US procurement. By 1990s, the Marine Corps obviously needed a replacement to the Harrier eventually (it is still flying btw) and arguably the USMC wasn't going to buy enough planes to get their own jet, and the Navy needs an eventual replacement fighter as well, so let's combine them. IF the Marines and the Navy are buying them, they might as well make it a joint program (CALF) and eventually have most Western countries fly an awkward fighter designed around a SVTOL configuration. Then you actually have Lockmart itself.

The Chinese don't need any of that, they just need a decent, relatively lightweight fighter that can work on carriers (and if it can work on carriers, it can work on land).

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 09:26 on Apr 24, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
twin engines are tricky in a VTOL role because if you lose one engine, it's immediately going to cause the plane to enter into a likely unrecoverable roll

so you can have one engine, with vectored thrust to let it be used for both VTOL and level flight, as the Harrier does
or you can have a single engine dedicated to VTOL, with one (or more) separate engines to be used for level flight

but twin engines for VTOL is, to my understanding, less than ideal

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It sounds like the Chinese specifically are going to be focusing on more on drones anyway.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

gradenko_2000 posted:

twin engines are tricky in a VTOL role because if you lose one engine, it's immediately going to cause the plane to enter into a likely unrecoverable roll

if you lose 1/1 engines you're also in an unrecoverable state. is the roll actually important in the time it'd take to eject? i've seen this brought up but not in a way that sounded like it was really the case. didn't look to hard though. also the way the f35 liftfan system works looks like it could probably compensate if it was the same thing with two engines assuming that there's no issue with having two inputs to however the gently caress that lift system works.

i'd bet on the single engine thing being some combo of design constraints (namely weight/size for carrier/marine poo poo? maybe not), good enough performance, cost, jet engines are heinous to maintain so the fewer the better. i don't really know though. i think if two engines were deemed necessary it'd have two engines and just roll over and blow up from time to time if that was an issue. cannot for the life of me find anything like a powerpoint extolling the virtues of one engine or whatever would satisfy me.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

so you can have one engine, with vectored thrust to let it be used for both VTOL and level flight, as the Harrier does
or you can have a single engine dedicated to VTOL, with one (or more) separate engines to be used for level flight

but twin engines for VTOL is, to my understanding, less than ideal

VTOL in a fighter plane is very nearly worthless imo

The soviets needing it to be able to make a hybrid carrier/missile cruiser is the closest anyone got to making it useful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It is has more to do with physical size and the ability to make the plan still aerodynamic enough to be a competitive fighter if you are talking about 2 high performance engines either stacked or configured side-by side. It is a lot of volume and mass.

Either way, It comes down to if you want to make the airframe of SVTOL/VTOL or not. Lockmart (in a theoretical sense) most likely could make a superior 2 engine fighter if they didn't need to make it also usable by the Marines. Obviously, it would still be one of their fighters, so it would be hosed up in other ways because that is how they make money.