Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

My guess is they don't want a repeat of the Gunn thing so they're going to wait and see which way the wind blows. Loki isn't out for several more months and then it's well over a year until we see more Kang stuff, so they don't need to immediately shift things.
It's almost certainly going to happen because his own teams keep cutting him and releasing things that make him look worse, but they don't have to move on it yet and they're going to do whatever costs them less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
E: Beat the 10-second post timer and accidentally double posted.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Opopanax posted:

My guess is they don't want a repeat of the Gunn thing so they're going to wait and see which way the wind blows. Loki isn't out for several more months and then it's well over a year until we see more Kang stuff, so they don't need to immediately shift things.
It's almost certainly going to happen because his own teams keep cutting him and releasing things that make him look worse, but they don't have to move on it yet and they're going to do whatever costs them less

Yeah, I'm sure it i a combination of this and that there are contract issues at play as well.

There hasn't been any public evidence released and one of the charges was dropped before the arraignment. If he ends up getting all the charges dropped or wins the case, then Disney doesn't want to have fired the guy they built the next two years of movies around and possibly be in a breach of contract situation if Majors wanted to sue because they exercised a morality clause and he has a court statement saying he is innocent.

Realistically, I'm not sure if that scenario happened if Majors would sue (or even what his contract is, since it is not public), but he might if he feels like it is the only way to "clear his name" in that situation. They are absolutely going to wait and see how it plays out because they technically don't need to make a decision for another 9 months or so. From their perspective, there's no reason to make a decision right now even if there is even tiny chance it could go wrong. Just waiting until then makes sense from a business perspective.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 21, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Speaking of exactly that situation, TMZ has just released video of the girlfriend clubbing after the arrest and she does not have a broken finger or a laceration on her face that the police report described. The driver of the car they were in is also testifying that Majors did not strike her. There is also police body camera footage in the article that they claim shows that she did not originally claim that and was being coached (I can't watch the video right now to see how accurate that is).

Yikes.

This could be a Johnny Depp situation where both of them are lovely people, but this is probably the exact situation that Disney was hoping to avoid by not making any decision.

https://www.tmz.com/2023/04/19/jonathan-majors-domestic-violence-driver-testify-video-girlfriend-clubbing-no-injuries-suicide-threat/

quote:

Jonathan Majors says the man who was driving him and his now ex-girlfriend the night of their alleged domestic incident will testify the actor did not strike her -- and he claims there's video proof she was not injured when she went out to a club after their altercation.

Jonathan's attorney Priya Chaudhry filed docs Wednesday in Manhattan, informing the court the driver witnessed what went down between Jonathan and the woman back in March. According to the docs, obtained by TMZ, the driver saw the woman assault Majors -- around 1 AM on March 25 -- "while she was attempting to steal his phone."

Further, the "Creed III" star says the driver will testify he never struck the alleged victim "in any way at any time, or even raised his voice." Majors and his attorney also say the driver saw her "hitting, scratching, and attacking" Jonathan ... and that Jonathan asked the driver to stop the car, so he could escape her attack ... which he did.

The woman allegedly told police she suffered a broken finger and a laceration behind her ear during the altercation -- however, in the document, Chaudhry says they have proof that's a "complete lie."

She says they have hours of security videos showing the woman went clubbing and got drunk after Majors left her in the car -- and she also texted him, accusing him of infidelity and threatening suicide.

As for what happened while she was out at a nightclub ... Majors' court filing includes screen shots of security video showing the woman freely using her right hand, which she claimed Majors injured.

When her night out at the club was over, they claim she showed up at Majors home at 3:23 AM ... entered his apartment, and called him 32 times and sent several angry, jealous text messages. Majors was not home when she got there.

Chaudhry says none of the text messages accuse Jonathan of injuring her, nor does she mention any discomfort from alleged injuries.

They say Majors got home at 11:13 AM, and found her unconscious and half naked on the floor of his walk-in closet. He also discovered she allegedly threw up in his bed, and told him she'd taken "a few sleeping tablets."

Majors then called 911, and claim when paramedics arrived, the woman repeatedly told them "I don't know" when asked what happened to her.

In the document, Chaudhry claims body cam footage shows police interviewing the woman, and "clearly coaching her to say that Mr. Majors grabbed her by the throat." Chaudhry claims the alleged victim never made that claim to anyone prior to the officer's direction.

Chaudhry and Majors want the D.A. to review their evidence swiftly and "dismiss these false charges against him."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Even if that's the case, there's now reportedly several other accusers.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Disney (via Searchlight) also bought Magazine Dreams and set a December release date for it, presumably to make an Oscars push, so they are invested in Majors.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Oh no is this thread going to become unbearable again like it was for Depp/Heard? Please no.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
#IStandWithJohnnyMajors #RestoreTheSnyderverse

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
On a less gross note:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXyuUbtpmxE

DC made a trailer for the first Superman cut in a modern style.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

SlimGoodbody posted:

it is such a twisty and turny Pepe Silvia corkboard of retcons and brain swaps and body swaps and faked deaths and personality overrides and secret psychic imprints that it seems like an "Okay so Marvel managed to explain its way around the weird racist poo poo such that it kinda sorta never happened but my god at what cost" type scenario.

Isn't that like, just the entire history of the X-Men in a nutshell? :v:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gaz-L posted:

On a less gross note:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXyuUbtpmxE

DC made a trailer for the first Superman cut in a modern style.

This is a lot less stupid than their recut of the Batman '89 trailer, which was just random scenes and clips stuck together with no flow whatsoever.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Aphrodite posted:

Even if that's the case, there's now reportedly several other accusers.

Doesn't really matter in a legal/social repercussions way if majors can convince a court with the evidence because that introduces an element of doubt into all of the accusations especially if he has actual proof police coaching was involved.

So if this one is bullshit every victim is going to get thrown under the bus

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That he got dropped by so many of his reps all at once tells me 1) that they know poo poo we don't that is 2) impossible to spin.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Arist posted:

That he got dropped by so many of his reps all at once tells me 1) that they know poo poo we don't that is 2) impossible to spin.

It's possible that they weren't very good and/or didn't want to deal with any of this, but it feels like this opens them up to some kind of lawsuit so I'd imagine they know what they are doing

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Opopanax posted:

It's possible that they weren't very good and/or didn't want to deal with any of this, but it feels like this opens them up to some kind of lawsuit so I'd imagine they know what they are doing

They would be the only PR or management firm in existence that had a contract that required them to maintain a client. There isn't any lawsuit that a firm would be liable for due to refusing a client unless that client was a protected class and the refusal of service was explicitly due to being a member of that class. I don't think any in-house counsel in the world is worried that their client is going to be accused of repping Majors for years and then dropping him because they realized he was black at the same time as the allegations came out.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They would be the only PR or management firm in existence that had a contract that required them to maintain a client. There isn't any lawsuit that a firm would be liable for due to refusing a client unless that client was a protected class and the refusal of service was explicitly due to being a member of that class. I don't think any in-house counsel in the world is worried that their client is going to be accused of repping Majors for years and then dropping him because they realized he was black at the same time as the allegations came out.

You could maybe make a defamation argument depending on how things go, but believe it or not I'm not a lawyer so I could ve wrong

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Opopanax posted:

You could maybe make a defamation argument depending on how things go, but believe it or not I'm not a lawyer so I could ve wrong

Refusing to take a client could never be considered a tort under American defamation law. Even in places like the U.K. with very loose libel and defamation laws, the act of not taking on a client wouldn't constitute defamation.

Defamation requires malicious intent to injure, a specific claim, and for the defamer to know the claim is false.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
If Majors lawyered up, wouldn't the directors who came out and said "Majors has always been an abuser" be in line before his former reps?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

live with fruit posted:

If Majors lawyered up, wouldn't the directors who came out and said "Majors has always been an abuser" be in line before his former reps?

They would be more likely than his former reps, but American defamation and libel law is incredibly strict because of the first amendment.

They would have to prove that:

- Those directors knew that Majors had never abused anyone ever.
- They knew that and said it anyway in an attempt to maliciously harm Majors.
- The comments from those directors had specific and provable monetary damages that are entirely separate from those related to the arrest.
- That the directors themselves went out of their way to publish those statements - beyond just saying them and having them picked up by the media.

It would be basically impossible for their statement of "I heard someone else say that this happened" to be legally proven as defamatory statements.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 22, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Timby posted:

This is a lot less stupid than their recut of the Batman '89 trailer, which was just random scenes and clips stuck together with no flow whatsoever.

Yeah, this feels like they got an actual editor familiar with the style to take a pass. The opening "Any more like you" moment intercut with shots of Krypton, leading to the "Not really" is, like... hey, that's what real trailers do.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, this feels like they got an actual editor familiar with the style to take a pass. The opening "Any more like you" moment intercut with shots of Krypton, leading to the "Not really" is, like... hey, that's what real trailers do.

You know it was done like a real modern trailer because they show the end.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Bruceski posted:

You know it was done like a real modern trailer because they show the end.

I think you underestimate how often old trailers would show you basically every single plot beat from the movie, including big twists and final fates of characters.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think you underestimate how often old trailers would show you basically every single plot beat from the movie, including big twists and final fates of characters.

Yep.

The Star Trek III: The Search for Spock trailer, in 1984, literally showed the Enterprise exploding. (Because Gene Roddenberry had leaked it to the fanzines, so Harve Bennett and said, "gently caress it, toothpaste is out of the tube, put our money shot in the trailer.")

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Timby posted:

Yep.

The Star Trek III: The Search for Spock trailer, in 1984, literally showed the Enterprise exploding. (Because Gene Roddenberry had leaked it to the fanzines, so Harve Bennett and said, "gently caress it, toothpaste is out of the tube, put our money shot in the trailer.")

I watch a ton of movies, so this year I’ve been uploading clips from the trailers of whatever I watch to an Insta account for friends. That trailer in particular is basically only missing the shot of Kruge falling into lava and David getting stabbed.

It’s really interesting how much old trailers would give away just to put asses in seats. No internet, no ubiquitous access to this kind of marketing, you basically saw the trailer once or twice in theaters, and then the odd radio or tv spot or maybe a magazine or newspaper ad. It’s crazy how relatively restrained modern movie marketing is now because they have the luxury of being able to dole these teases out in tiny chunks for people to hyperanalyze and pick apart frame by frame.

I think it’s also interesting what modern audiences would consider a major spoiler in a trailer vs 30-40 years ago and what that can do to audience expectations now.

Like, this is a 1979 teaser for Empire Strikes Back and it shows basically everything aside from the final duel. Every major setting, almost every new character aside from Yoda, major plot beats, even Han’s capture and other scenes from the 3rd act. A modern trailer would probably restrict itself to mostly 1st act scenes with a few teases from the 2nd act. And that’s for a movie that was probably a lot more secretive about its plot than most at the time.

https://youtu.be/nccmNk8gsOc

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 22, 2023

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Joe Fisto posted:

Wonder Man is a heroic Kang variant. Done.

Ooh that's a good idea.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

I don't disagree, but gossip on the modern internet is such an unstoppable katamari these days that even if Majors is/was innocent, he's gonna have people bringing up stuff about him and questioning just how innocent he really is for all time, so the reps were probably just playing it safe either way. Unless he reveals he's actually been wearing a bodycam 24/7 for years now and there's years of years of exonerating footage, I think his name's gonna be tainted for a long while no matter what happens.

... then again gently caress it I guess everything kinda sorta worked out for that fucker Depp.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
So I was just watching a video about Superman Returns, and I started thinking that Brandon Routh would be a good Reed Richards.

I will now add him to my fancasting alongside Erin Moriarty as Sue, Joe Keery as Johnny, and Tom Hardy as Ben.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Like, this is a 1979 teaser for Empire Strikes Back and it shows basically everything aside from the final duel. Every major setting, almost every new character aside from Yoda, major plot beats, even Han’s capture and other scenes from the 3rd act. A modern trailer would probably restrict itself to mostly 1st act scenes with a few teases from the 2nd act. And that’s for a movie that was probably a lot more secretive about its plot than most at the time.

https://youtu.be/nccmNk8gsOc

That kind of sounds like Harrison Ford doing the narration.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Timby posted:

It says that it's him in the description.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gaz-L posted:

It says that it's him in the description.

The YouTube app on Android sucks and most of the time the description is hidden.

But I'm glad I'm not voice-blind.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Timby posted:

He “narrates” the original Blade Runner trailer as well, although I’m fairly certain it’s all from the narration that’s already in the movie.

https://youtu.be/eogpIG53Cis

It’s been a while since I’ve watched the cut with narration though, I could be wrong.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Timby posted:

It sounds for all the world like he’s trying to ape the narrator from Rocky and Bullwinkle.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

A bunch of news out on Venom 3:

- Juno Temple cast as "a lead role" with no other info. Deadline describes it as "co-starring" in the movie with Hardy.
- Owen Wilson turned down an offer for a role in the movie. Rumor is that Jemaine Clement is in talks to take his place.
- Chiwetel Ejiofor is in talks to play the villain.
- Kelly Marcel, the Producer of Venom 1, is replacing Andy Serkis as Director for Venom 3.

Shooting is supposed to start in September. Still no plot info or any major characters announced yet.

https://deadline.com/2023/04/ted-lassos-juno-temple-sonys-venom-3-1235332908/

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I saw a comment on one of the sites like "thank God Owen Wilson isn't in this, it would just confuse audiences" and I don't understand how these people function when they see actors do different roles outside the MCU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That's interesting, I wonder if Wilson was going to be someone else or if they're putting the TVA in here. Venomverse would at least be more interesting than "Venom fights a symbiote guy again" with the Toxin stuff they half assedly set up

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
The people who leaked the info claim it was not to reprise Mobius or for the role to be any MCU reference, which is pretty funny. Honestly, the Venom movies are dumb as hell but I find it entertaining how literally everything about them get under so many MCU fans skin. As if the people who are complaining about Marvel losing their way can believe Disney would be making killer Venom movies right now if not for Marvel needing cash in the 90's.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I enjoy the very stupid Venom movies

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Joe Fisto posted:

I enjoy the very stupid Venom movies
I love them, I hope we get one every 2-3 years for the rest of my lifetime. There's nothing like 'em.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jermaine Clement is....Knull

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

FlamingLiberal posted:

Jermaine Clement is....Knull

Paste Pot Pete