Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Her apparent explanation is just "I actually mean the exact opposite of the thing I wrote" which i don't think is a very credible explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Kaveman posted:

lol this is why the corbyn project failed.
left constantly umming and ahhing while the right latch on to it like it's mein kampf.

if Diane Abbot hasn't earned the right for some leeway to properly explain herself then who the gently caress is going to get any support

This is not a suspendable offense nevermind taking the whip and hounding her out of Westminster.

That's she's an experienced politician and rights campaigner doesn't get her a get out of jail free card, it makes it worse. I don't care if the right are jumping for joy over this, we should hold ourselves to better standards than them.

She loving compared the plight of Jewish people to people being bullied for having red hair.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i feel like diane abbot had a good run but it’s time for a new generation to
come through, and there isn’t that’s a problem we have to face sooner rather than later

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Mega Comrade posted:

That's she's an experienced politician and rights campaigner doesn't get her a get out of jail free card, it makes it worse. I don't care if the right are jumping for joy over this, we should hold ourselves to better standards than them.

She loving compared the plight of Jewish people to people being bullied for having red hair.

She also did the same for Roma (also genocided by nazis Holocaust Memorial Day Trust), Irish & travellers. I notice a singular lack of being pulled up on that by the various on twitter.

Jel Shaker posted:

i feel like diane abbot had a good run but it’s time for a new generation to
come through, and there isn’t that’s a problem we have to face sooner rather than later

Yes, I'm afraid I agree with you. This was a 'misspeak' too far.

Also much as I love Jam Grandad, I think his time is up as a potential party leader or mayor for London or any of the other things he is being called upon to do. Some of his recent interviews he is beginning to come across very frustrated & exasperated (fully understandable but it is held against him because if he isn't 100% perfect he gets pounced on all round).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 23, 2023

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
The older I get the more I feel that the actual details just do not matter. Why even bother knowing who said what in the political slap fight of the week. It's all just patterns, a means to an end, and yeah we will step back and realise this was always a systematic purge of the labour left. That's how the history books will record it.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I'm real glad I have no personal investment in the labour party anymore, goddamn what a mess

didn't get the alert despite being rigged up for it, in reception and with other phones in the room going off for it

some bullshit rip off of the yankee EMS tones as well, for shame, gimme some bonechiller stuff direct out of protect and survive/bbc sound workshop

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yes, I'm afraid I agree with you. This was a 'misspeak' too far.

If it had been verbal then it might be different. But I just don't buy her excuse of it being an early draft.

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

Mega Comrade posted:

She's not just an "experienced politician and rights campaigner". She's a black women, the first to be an MP in the UK, and has suffered racism first hand in and outside of Westminster her entire life.

So maybe there's a conversation to be had here. Not an instant banishment for trying to talk about racism.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I forgot everything about this alert thing and I had just put the needle down on a record I hadn't really listened to that often, but then there was this horrible noise and I thought I'm pretty sure this record isn't supposed to sound like this, and then I looked at my phone, and it was the alert thing, but it was only 14:59.

That was my DANGER ALERT story.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I've heard of popular indie rock band Klaxons, but this is ridiculous!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Footage of when my alert went off.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Desiderata posted:

The older I get the more I feel that the actual details just do not matter. Why even bother knowing who said what in the political slap fight of the week. It's all just patterns, a means to an end, and yeah we will step back and realise this was always a systematic purge of the labour left. That's how the history books will record it.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Diane Abbot absolutely is an experienced politician and civil rights campaigner and I think she’d be pretty loving annoyed to be told otherwise. I don’t see what conversation can be had from this, other than ‘don’t compare the plight of Jewish people to that of ginger people’.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

:420::allears:

Maximum Pepsi
Jul 30, 2022

by vyelkin
D oyou hate shaving.

I hate fucing shaving..

I have 2 weeks growths weeks now I have to get rid of.

I loving hate shaving. (ps dianee abbot is a fucing idiot)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Wait what

I... what

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Maximum Pepsi posted:

D oyou hate shaving.

I hate fucing shaving..

hello no_one

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Maximum Pepsi posted:

D oyou hate shaving.

I hate fucing shaving..

how many fingers am I holding up

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

No alert for me either.

Am on Three, and phone was running Marvel Snap at the time the alert was sent - maybe having a heavy duty app running stops it? Or Three just didn't bother to pass it on?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Angrymog posted:

No alert for me either.

Am on Three, and phone was running Marvel Snap at the time the alert was sent - maybe having a heavy duty app running stops it? Or Three just didn't bother to pass it on?

Theres been articles saying three customers, and the networks using it (like mine - smartie) have had issues

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Kaveman posted:

She's not just an "experienced politician and rights campaigner". She's a black women, the first to be an MP in the UK, and has suffered racism first hand in and outside of Westminster her entire life.

So maybe there's a conversation to be had here. Not an instant banishment for trying to talk about racism.

what sort of conversation would you start with "being Jewish is like being red-haired"

I like Diane, I've supported her for a long time, but I think she's in the wrong here

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

It did always seem to me that there being an alternative definition of racism in academic circles compared to common usage was going to be a recipe for disaster. It takes a few extra words to explain to people that most manifestations of racism doesn't look like a scene in Heat of the Night, but that's going to be more effective than approaching a sensitive topic while being misunderstood straight out the gate.

Maximum Pepsi
Jul 30, 2022

by vyelkin

kecske posted:

hello no_one

no_who

its (not me honist guv) me and i still dont like tearing the growth out my face.

I dont keep uo with the popular thread, did fridge corn get to drive an F40?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Julio Cruz posted:

I like Diane, I've supported her for a long time, but I think she's in the wrong here

I think she's so far in the wrong, and combined with the quite bizarre apology that maybe she should go see her doctor, in case her illnesses have gotten worse and she needs some extra support.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If Labour were determined to address this fairly, they'd do so in a similar way to if a Labour MP e.g. went on television during a time of great international solidarity and protest for Black people and started spouting thinly veiled Ku Klux Klan konspiracy theories.

So a second apology, the party slinging 50 grand at some Jungian quack to give her some box ticking exercises while mumbling about unconscious bias, and a staged photo of her taking the knee in a room with zero Black people, like with Keir.

(Not sure how you'd do that last one, maybe David Baddiel's makeup artist could help.)

As it is, they have had zero intent on addressing this fairly from the outset.

It's good in a way that they've gotten rid of the last of their civil rights veterans so brazenly though, because I can just treat them with the same naked contempt and lack of nuance that they treat everyone else with.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

if I were in this situation I would simply not create a taxonomy of different bigotries

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

the thing is this situation is like just her deciding to do it. She took it upon herself to write several drafts, before sending the first one, to a newspaper in response to an article no one asked her about.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Lt. Danger posted:

if I were in this situation I would simply not create a taxonomy of different bigotries

Yeah, this thing is just incredibly frustrating. I love Diane Abbott but this letter is such a massive own goal for literally no reason, just indefensible bullshit. I had heard she was having some health issues, massive stress for sure... wish she had just retired or something before writing such letters. Now she's done massive damage with this thing and will be forced to retire anyway. :(

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Maximum Pepsi posted:

D oyou hate shaving.

I hate fucing shaving..

just don't shave

one weird trick

shaving supply companies hate it

I mean you then have to keep the beard clean and trimmed otherwise horrors will lurk within, but it's less maintenance than fuckin' shaving

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

DesperateDan posted:

I mean you then have to keep the beard clean and trimmed

citation needed

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Diane comes across as entirely thick sometimes.

Also, don't need phone alerts when there's a flashpoint.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
for some context, from 2017

https://medium.com/@AmnestyInsights/unsocial-media-tracking-twitter-abuse-against-women-mps-fc28aeca498a

quote:

Our sample of 900 223 tweets between 1 January and 8 June was drawn from social listening tool Crimson Hexagon. Crucially, because we could only download historical Twitter data, our sample did not include tweets that have been deleted or tweets from accounts that were suspended or disabled.

[...]

Despite the limitations in the data, the results of our study were striking. The analysis revealed the following:

· Diane Abbott received almost half (45.14%) of all abusive tweets in the run up to the Election

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

NotJustANumber99 posted:

citation needed

less of a paper and more of the feeling you get when you realise you were flirting with the cute person at the social interaction with a hotdogs worth of mustard and onions stacked in the ol' bristles

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

To say nothing of the whatsapp abuse she recieved from MPs in her own party.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Bug Squash posted:

It did always seem to me that there being an alternative definition of racism in academic circles compared to common usage was going to be a recipe for disaster. It takes a few extra words to explain to people that most manifestations of racism doesn't look like a scene in Heat of the Night, but that's going to be more effective than approaching a sensitive topic while being misunderstood straight out the gate.

This is a good point.
It reminds me of how a couple of years ago people* were saying, "The Irish were enslaved, and they got over it and aren't asking for reparations. Why can't the African American community be like them?"

The response was a really dumb "actually I think you'll find that the Irish were made into Indentured Servants..."

Something that is true from an academic point, but ignores a lot of the history and emotions around these experiences.
When you try and make an argument like that, you are leaving yourself wide open to having your opponents spin your words into "so what you are saying is Indentured Servitude was not that bad?"

Diane Abott has done the same thing, making an argument with the assumption that since it's factually correct** everyone will accept it as being brilliant and right. And not that you are saying something that can be easily turned against you by your political enemies.

* =granted these people were at best contrarian American boomers. At worst racist, white nationalists. And American Boomers.

** = And even then, her letter had a bunch of wrong points. Like the Irish couldn't just go to America whenever they wanted and immediately be welcomed with open arms, Diane. I wonder, did you even consider looking into why that might not have been the case.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
American boomers both claim they were an integral part of the Irish civil rights movement because they are 1/16th Irish and also deny that it happened and everyone just worked hard and got over it, depending on who's asking.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Boomers want more broken bones and blood

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

in the short term

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
BACK IN THE GOOD OLE DAYS YEAH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I grew up diving into patches of nettles and hucking bricks at abandoned factory windows while soldiers trained rifles on me and my mates in the school line each morning.

You would be amazed how little affect the concept of not assuming someone else's gender or sexuality had on this robust chicanery.