Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Takes notes... Combattler, Voltes, Zambot. I haven't seen these, but I've heard good things. I haven't finished many of the really monster of the week-ish ones, been meaning to see GaoGaiGar too.

I hear the 70s Getter is the inspiration for Gekiganger 3 in Nadesico, I should watch a few of that iteration for history too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
gaogaigar really does a lot with monster of the week plots. gaogaigar itself hardly has any attacks or weapons and almost always wins in 2-3 moves, so the episodes are about getting it in place to fight.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

gaogaigar really does a lot with monster of the week plots. gaogaigar itself hardly has any attacks or weapons and almost always wins in 2-3 moves, so the episodes are about getting it in place to fight.

Nice, sounds rad. And I love the aesthetics of the show, saw the first couple eps way back. I like how True Mazinger was really cool plot machinations with those short win in two moves fights too. It is kooky we never got a Shin Great Mazinger series.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Has anybody here seen the Battletech cartoon?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Like back when it aired I saw a few episodes but that's ages ago so I don't remember much beyond the hilarity of the Toys using a Robotech byline on some packages iirc

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Yes. It's standard Sat AM fare for the most part.

The whole thing is on YouTube: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRlu7nBFPfe2DtSj1apNPNnGfMJbVhxBJ

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Lemon-Lime posted:

Yes. It's standard Sat AM fare for the most part.

The whole thing is on YouTube: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRlu7nBFPfe2DtSj1apNPNnGfMJbVhxBJ

Sweet, thanks.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

GimmickMan posted:

Knowing Voltes mostly from Super Robot Wars, I thought that it was basically Combattler's uglier younger brother with a less iconic main team and slightly better antagonists.

Needless to say, SRW does a huge disservice to the show. It is so much cooler than anything it's ever been allowed to do there. Voltes is up there with Zambot as far as hard-hitting classic super robots go IMO, and I can easily see how it became an icon in the Phillipines.

Good stuff.

ty!

Gripweed posted:

Watching it back when I was around 8yso was what got me into giant robots.

It is a very difficult show to revisit.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Sweet, thanks.

To be clear, it's not good, but it exists and it's not very long so worth a watch for a laugh.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The Battletech cartoon is loving bizarre because they actually go pretty hard on trying to be lore-accurate and include references to political poo poo from the setting that would pointlessly fly over the heads of the tiny child target audience.

The most amusing thing about it is that it was made canonical to the Battletech setting - not as an accurate retelling of events, but basically as a puffed up twisting-of-events propaganda piece aired to make the Clanners look like clowns and to give the Inner Sphere some feelgood "let's all work together to beat the Clanners" propaganda heroes. Nicolai Malthus, the Clan commander who gets owned repeatedly in the show, actually travels to the Inner Sphere and tries to challenge the show's producers to a duel because the show makes him look like a complete loving idiot. When he's informed he can't do that here, he tries suing them for defamation instead and loses, at which point he again tries to force a duel and gets thrown in prison.

The toys kicked rear end, though. I still have my Axman.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I remember getting Mechwarrior K'nex kits of the Firefly and the Vulture as a kid. They were cool and had little spring loaded rockets you launched with a finger flick.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kanos posted:

The Battletech cartoon is loving bizarre because they actually go pretty hard on trying to be lore-accurate and include references to political poo poo from the setting that would pointlessly fly over the heads of the tiny child target audience.

The most amusing thing about it is that it was made canonical to the Battletech setting - not as an accurate retelling of events, but basically as a puffed up twisting-of-events propaganda piece aired to make the Clanners look like clowns and to give the Inner Sphere some feelgood "let's all work together to beat the Clanners" propaganda heroes. Nicolai Malthus, the Clan commander who gets owned repeatedly in the show, actually travels to the Inner Sphere and tries to challenge the show's producers to a duel because the show makes him look like a complete loving idiot. When he's informed he can't do that here, he tries suing them for defamation instead and loses, at which point he again tries to force a duel and gets thrown in prison.

The toys kicked rear end, though. I still have my Axman.

The Clans are the bad guys in Battletech? I thought they were the good guys, that's why they got cool symbols like wolves and stuff.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Gripweed posted:

The Clans are the bad guys in Battletech? I thought they were the good guys, that's why they got cool symbols like wolves and stuff.

They're basically a mashup of Klingons and the pop culture idea of the Mongol Horde, who run their society on a caste system where if you're not a warrior you're a slave, with a dash of eugenics using genetic tinkering and artificial wombs.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
The Clans are basically the Targaryens in GoT but yes you'll see a lot of internet people denounce the Clans in the strongest possible terms due to things like their caste society and eugenics programs. I'm a Jade Falcon fan myself bc I like Dick Dastardly villains.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Marx Headroom posted:

The Clans are basically the Targaryens in GoT but yes you'll see a lot of internet people denounce the Clans in the strongest possible terms due to things like their caste society and eugenics programs. I'm a Jade Falcon fan myself bc I like Dick Dastardly villains.
Given that their founder was a guy named Kerensky you also get the Red/White heat going on

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Denounce the clans because their mech designs suck, instead. :colbert:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The clans basically started out as a parody of neo-sparta fascist WARRIOR CULTURE weirdos who turn every conversation into a rant about ~strong men creating good times that create weak men~ and poo poo, and aside from having a major tech advantage due to not suffering the same dark age regression everyone else did they spent most of their early appearances getting completely clowned on, because none of their philosophies and ethos could actually survive contact with people who actually had to fight and struggle for a living instead of larping as warrior tribes while their slaves did everything for them.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The clans basically started out as a parody of neo-sparta fascist WARRIOR CULTURE weirdos who turn every conversation into a rant about ~strong men creating good times that create weak men~ and poo poo, and aside from having a major tech advantage due to not suffering the same dark age regression everyone else did they spent most of their early appearances getting completely clowned on, because none of their philosophies and ethos could actually survive contact with people who actually had to fight and struggle for a living instead of larping as warrior tribes while their slaves did everything for them.

This is unfortunately basically the opposite of what happened. They actually kicked the poo poo out of everyone they met almost effortlessly and were set to conquer everything in record time until a desperate pilot suicided into the bridge of the ship that had their war leader on it and bought the Inner Sphere some time, at which point Comstar came up with the idea to use their own values against them and challenge them to a big "if you win this one battle you win everything" throwdown under the Clans' own rules, which Comstar won and stopped the invasion for long enough to let the rest of the Inner Sphere catch up, get their poo poo together, and bury hatchets/form temporary alliances long enough to meaningfully beat the Clanners back, which worked well enough until the Inner Sphere's temporary alliance inevitably fragmented(and a whole lot of other poo poo happened, like a second miniature apocalypse).

In the current time period in the setting, Clan Wolf actually won the ball game and took Terra.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/tsuburayaglobal/status/1649266710199902209?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Kanos posted:

In the current time period in the setting, Clan Wolf actually won the ball game and took Terra.

And to general hilarity, they're finding out that taking a planet and yelling "our rules say we're now the eternal masters of the universe, now bow before us" doesn't mean anybody has to, you know, listen. ilClan is fun times.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I just found out about this intriguing Italian movie...

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gripweed posted:

I just found out about this intriguing Italian movie...

From my recollection it has literally nothing to do with Jeeg beyond the main character wearing a Jeeg mask and it's otherwise one of those bog standard "street vigilante with questionable mental health" movies

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」

drrockso20 posted:

From my recollection it has literally nothing to do with Jeeg beyond the main character wearing a Jeeg mask and it's otherwise one of those bog standard "street vigilante with questionable mental health" movies

Pretty much this. Early on the lead rescues a delusional girl, who's then convinced he's Hiroshi because she watches Jeeg all day on Italian TV. He doesn't even wear the mask until the very last scene.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

drrockso20 posted:

I haven't seen Jeeg so I could be wrong on this, but I know it's by Go Nagai so I assume that a main character with questionable mental health is a link by itself

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are there any shows or manga that predate Gundam that could be viewed as a sort of proto Real Robot series? Or if Gundam never happened would Sunrise have ever greenlit any of Takahashi's 80s mecha series?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Arc Hammer posted:

Are there any shows or manga that predate Gundam that could be viewed as a sort of proto Real Robot series? Or if Gundam never happened would Sunrise have ever greenlit any of Takahashi's 80s mecha series?

Sort of, but it depends on which specific elements you're considering "Real" or "Super."

The handful of episodes where Voltes V fights in space really have the look of Gundam's space fights (with the curious artifact of VV's still having footsteps). Deimos's romantic relationship kinda sorta presages what goes on in Macross. Danguard Ace takes a very militaristic view to robot combat, with the first ten or so episodes devoted to pilot training, and later episodes de-emphasizing the robots in favor of ship-to-ship combat. Zambot 3 is a weak enough super robot (in the context of its series) that if it weren't a brightly colored toy samurai piloted by children you could almost consider it a real robot.

I don't think anything had the full package before Gundam, though.

Worth noting that the big change that promoted the production of real robot shows wasn't necessarily a change in storytelling or aesthetic preferences, but the rise of model kits as a revenue stream. Takahashi's success in the 80s probably didn't rely on Gundam as a show as much as the Zaku as a plamo.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 23, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm trying to envision a world where Gundam didn't become the juggernaut that inspired a lot of other shows with the mecha being military hardware. I'm curious if it's a case where a lot of what we see now wouldn't exist or if the conditions at the time were ripe for any show to come in and strike it big. As I see it a lot of the success of Gundam as a franchise (read, big money toy sales) is what allowed Takahashi's shows to get footing, and Macross was absolutely inspired by Gundam. But what if we lived in a world where Macross became the powerhouse rather than merely being one of the most popular military sci-fi mecha series.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Without a Gundam what probably ends up happening is that you still have the boom of shows aimed at University students/adults but they probably on the sci-fi side end up looking more like Yamato/Harlock and end up less focused on the hardware as they aren't trying to sell toys/model kits. And the mecha genre probably ends up becoming way more toy focused and ends up just being mainly kids/early teen focused

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Without a Gundam what probably ends up happening is that you still have the boom of shows aimed at University students/adults but they probably on the sci-fi side end up looking more like Yamato/Harlock and end up less focused on the hardware as they aren't trying to sell toys/model kits. And the mecha genre probably ends up becoming way more toy focused and ends up just being mainly kids/early teen focused

Yeah, Space Battleship Yamato was the other big military sci-fi powerhouse. It also had a line of fairly successful plastic models, even if they didn't pull gunpla numbers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's kind of what I figured. Yamato was already airing and harder sci-fi anime would likely follow in its footsteps. Maybe the real robot hardware genre would still come about but it would look very different without Gundam leading the charge.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

would evangelion have happened without gundam?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ninjewtsu posted:

No way. No Shinji without Amuro.

In a world without Gundam, Hideaki Anno grows up to open a motorcycle shop.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

ninjewtsu posted:

Anno loves Ultraman even more than Gundam, so a Gundam-less Eva would just be a Toku show.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

No way. No Shinji without Amuro.

In a world without Gundam, Hideaki Anno grows up to open a motorcycle shop.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Anno loves Ultraman even more than Gundam, so a Gundam-less Eva would just be a Toku show.

what does anime look like in these timelines

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Magical girls as far as the eye can see.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Neo_Crimson posted:

That’s a real interesting idea, without Gundam we still get more mature and complex anime, but it doesn’t dominate the nerd scene as much, which leaves space for Tokusatsu to play a bigger role. Instead of OVAs in the late 80s and early nineties, we get independently produced Tokusatsu series.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ninjewtsu posted:

...maybe??

It'd be a very different beast, for sure, but Eva cribs / takes inspiration from such a wide variety of media that you could probably excise Gundam's contribution and still be left with something recognizable.

The big thing is that without Gundam there's (probably) no Ideon, so the ending is gonna skew way more Go Nagai.

Gripweed posted:

That’s a real interesting idea, without Gundam we still get more mature and complex anime, but it doesn’t dominate the nerd scene as much, which leaves space for Tokusatsu to play a bigger role. Instead of OVAs in the late 80s and early nineties, we get independently produced Tokusatsu series.

The world where Tekkaman Blade spawned an ongoing franchise.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 23, 2023

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'd just have to assume Anno would have pursued Gerry Anderson properties instead. Which I'm sure he has done too, but he's got his Shin projects for now.

Anno's UFO when?? (he prob wants thunderbirds more tho)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I don't think Toku ends up filling the Home Video market partly cause decent looking Toku would be too expensive for Home Video in the 80's and also the home video sales market probably is in a very different place without Gundam. Part of why the OAV boom happens is that Gundam got a decent amount of it's second wind due to tape trading and companies noting that and rightful thinking they could turn that market into tape buyers. Without it it's more likely that the home video market for nerd stuff is more built of rentals and OAV/Toku stuff ends being more one shot promotional videos than actual full series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ninjewtsu posted:

what does anime look like in these timelines

You know how in Watchmen when real world mask and capes appeared and the comic industry refocused onto pirates and pulp swashbucklers?