Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

It is a good game with a god awful monetization. When I quit playing a few months back it cost multiple thousands of dollars to have a full collection. And you can't control what you unlock so that game breaking tier 5 card? Because hope you roll that 1%. Maybe you could afford it in the shop if you were lucky for it to show up and had the points for it which we never impossible to get without a nearly full collection.

They were releasing cards weekly and almost no one cared because it took months to get a tier 5 card for free. And everything newly release gets put in the highest tier.

Edit: I quit around the time they released a $100 bundle "deal". I was playing a bunch of people with the unique avatar. That just let me know I was forever gonna be whale bait and constantly fighting people with way better collections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love

Morpheus posted:

Got a weird thing after getting the latest Vampire Survivor DLC - after getting it, the first DLC, which I had purchased when it came out and played through, no longer works. It appears in the DLC list, purchased, but no characters, items, levels, etc from it are present in their lists. Anyone seeing this?

I had to uninstall and reinstall the game to get both DLCs to show up right

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Davedave24 posted:

I had to uninstall and reinstall the game to get both DLCs to show up right

Did this also delete your save file?

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love

Morpheus posted:

Did this also delete your save file?

No - I know they weren't in initially but cloud saves got added at some point along the way

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Shwqa posted:

It is a good game with a god awful monetization. When I quit playing a few months back it cost multiple thousands of dollars to have a full collection. And you can't control what you unlock so that game breaking tier 5 card? Because hope you roll that 1%. Maybe you could afford it in the shop if you were lucky for it to show up and had the points for it which we never impossible to get without a nearly full collection.

They were releasing cards weekly and almost no one cared because it took months to get a tier 5 card for free. And everything newly release gets put in the highest tier.

Edit: I quit around the time they released a $100 bundle "deal". I was playing a bunch of people with the unique avatar. That just let me know I was forever gonna be whale bait and constantly fighting people with way better collections.

Yeah but you can hit Infinite without paying a penny. I've done it. Sure there are crazy meta decks so you just play the anti-meta.

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008
Elasto Mania is out on android for zero money. If you want to relive the suffering of bored childhood days in a computer lab

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

New Leaf posted:

Yeah but you can hit Infinite without paying a penny. I've done it. Sure there are crazy meta decks so you just play the anti-meta.

It takes so goddamn long though. I literally had to quit the game because the temptation and time involved with grinding infinite every season was having a negative effect on the rest of my life. If you average a cube a game (which is crazy good) you're looking at ~300 games every season just to hit infinite. You gotta have some serious spare time to keep up.

Jows
May 8, 2002

I finally beat a brotato run. Crazy guy heavy on elemental damage and lightning shivs, adding in shurikins after my melee dmg got higher

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Shwqa posted:

It is a good game with a god awful monetization.

I can respect your opinion on if you like the game or not but for the rest of this...

Shwqa posted:

When I quit playing a few months back it cost multiple thousands of dollars to have a full collection.

There is absolutely no reason someone would need to have a full collection. That's not how the game works or someone should expect at all. People can make fun (and successful if they care) decks through f2p. In the forums thread about the game nobody has a full collection and people are enjoying the game. It's kind of the point. One of the most powerful decks right now mostly consists of the first cards you get for free very early in the game with no abilities on them.

Shwqa posted:

And you can't control what you unlock

Yes, this helps to have not all decks be the same.

Shwqa posted:

so that game breaking tier 5 card? Because hope you roll that 1%.

Galactus? Around the time you posted this yesterday the thread was talking about how easy he is to beat.

I'm not even going to respond to the rest of this. If you don't like the presence of monetization, cool, but deterring others from giving the game a try via misinformation isn't cool.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
That's a lot of deflecting about the monetization.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Kris xK posted:

That's a lot of deflecting about the monetization.

The Sean posted:

If you don't like the presence of monetization, cool, but deterring others from giving the game a try via misinformation isn't cool.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Is a "full collection" every card in the game because I can understand the argument that card game players generally don't try for or even want that. Like, the cards aren't waifus.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

mycot posted:

Is a "full collection" every card in the game because I can understand the argument that card game players generally don't try for or even want that. Like, the cards aren't waifus.

Yeah a "full collection" would be every single card possible. A full collection is unnecessary in this case. Like, I am missing maybe a dozen cards and still hit the competitive top rank every season*. Plus, they add new cards every month that you can randomly get . Otherwise the shop has a thing where it rotates a few times a day a single card that you don't have so you can Pin it until you get enough in-game-awarded currency to get it. There are a bunch of cards I don't have and don't care about but if there's one that I do want I can be on track to get it--not even randomly. They also give you one free harder to get card a month.

*and outside of that, you don't have to care about competing and making absolutely goofy decks is fun.

Most of the monetization is cosmetics of cards and no cards are only available by purchase.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 20, 2023

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

are you the guy that always posted like poo poo in the Marvel Snap thread? I stopped reading it when I quit playing because the acquisition system was really bad for free to play players after a certain point.

Cerebro
May 1, 2009

Super Meat Boy Forever released today. For a $1 (Wasn't this $20 on steam?) pricetag seems like a deal!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thunderful.smbf

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

The Sean posted:

I can respect your opinion on if you like the game or not but for the rest of this...

There is absolutely no reason someone would need to have a full collection. That's not how the game works or someone should expect at all. People can make fun (and successful if they care) decks through f2p. In the forums thread about the game nobody has a full collection and people are enjoying the game. It's kind of the point. One of the most powerful decks right now mostly consists of the first cards you get for free very early in the game with no abilities on them.

Yes, this helps to have not all decks be the same.

Galactus? Around the time you posted this yesterday the thread was talking about how easy he is to beat.

I'm not even going to respond to the rest of this. If you don't like the presence of monetization, cool, but deterring others from giving the game a try via misinformation isn't cool.

While it is true that you don't need to full collection you are constantly struggling to make meta deck in the game. The whole it promote diversity thing is nonsense though. At a certain point you will face people with mostly full collections using top meta decks. At the time I stopped it was silver surfer, patriot, and sometimes both in the same deck. And it sounds like that is still pretty meta.

Can you play the game for free? Yes
Can you get to legends rank for free? Yes
Will it be an uphill battle against people with better collections? Yes
Will you always be whale bait for other people to make they feel justified in their purchases? Yes

The game is designed to make you want to whale. They didn't just put the free daily reward in the cash shop because they couldn't figure out a f2p friendly design. They put up small number first time deals to hook you in. All the "deals" are limited time offer with countdowns to trigger FOMO. There are monthly battle passes with free and paid reward tracks so if you are going free they can show you exactly what you are missing out on.

If you are having fun with the game, then by all means have fun. I'm not gonna judge. I play stupid little whale trap idle games. Marvel snap has a lot going for it. Smash up is a great card game and I'm glad there is an electronic version of it..

My issue is people pretending these systems are anything but predatory and expensive. Marvel snap is an expensive game and most people will probably burnt out when chest get their maximum collector level away. Spending a week hitting the pity limit for a single trash card gets old really fast.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I don't necessarily mean this as a defence of the game but you have just described every TCG ever

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Legends of Runeterra showers you in free cards. I have a nearly complete collection with zero spent. It really shows up the money grubbing bullshit in other tcgs.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
you're really not saying anything new when complaining that a free to play game wants to make you eventually spend money on it. it's nice when they don't, but it's not worth getting lovely about people talking about a game in terms of how reasonable it is to play without spending money on it/spending very little

like, there's many games out there that literally are unplayable
after a certain point without spending money to speed up timers or to buy the macguffin that bars your progression. there's multiplayer games where you're simply not going to function without dropping $50 to catch up. it's a spectrum and it's good to know where a game falls on it

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I've been enjoying Grimvalor, especially the shameless stolen Dark Souls aesthetics.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

My biggest gripe with Marvel Snap is just that it takes forever to actually get a deck I wanted to play. Most digital tcgs nowadays, you run the tutorial, you get a bunch of your starter packs, and you get to assemble...basically anything you want. Meta decks, no, but you can easily make a budget aggro list or whatever you want to fool around with.

Marvel Snap...hope you like series 1 cards, because that's all you get to play with for a while. Don't even have any control in the order you get them, so better hope you unlock the ones you actually want. Series 2 is honestly no different. Series 3 is where you start getting a little freedom to pick cards you want to actually play, but I honestly was too frustrated by all this to ever get that far.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Hey thread, could you help me in finding a game I saw once in an ad a few days ago, thought it looked interesting, closed the Android app store before downloading it, and then forgot it's name and never saw the ad again.

I believe the games concept was that you were leading an army (or maybe just a squadron of heros) to the Evil Lord's Castle (it explicitly said a distance you'd be traveling, maybe 300 miles?) and... that's about all I can remember. Maybe it had roguelite mechanics? But the main thing was leading a group on a long journey.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Pretty impressed with what they all packed into pocket city 2. Very cool to break things up with the first person mode it has in it.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Archenteron posted:

Hey thread, could you help me in finding a game I saw once in an ad a few days ago, thought it looked interesting, closed the Android app store before downloading it, and then forgot it's name and never saw the ad again.

I believe the games concept was that you were leading an army (or maybe just a squadron of heros) to the Evil Lord's Castle (it explicitly said a distance you'd be traveling, maybe 300 miles?) and... that's about all I can remember. Maybe it had roguelite mechanics? But the main thing was leading a group on a long journey.

Likely Rogue With The Dead.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.room6.horizon&hl=en_US&gl=US

I played it, took me about a week or so to finish it completely. I could've done it faster if I'd concentrated more on cheesing one specific mechanic.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

delfin posted:

Likely Rogue With The Dead.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.room6.horizon&hl=en_US&gl=US

I played it, took me about a week or so to finish it completely. I could've done it faster if I'd concentrated more on cheesing one specific mechanic.

Yes! Thank you.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
That new Honkai game (creators of Genshin Impact) comes out today. Big enough to warrant its own thread? Can't seem to find one in the mobile forums.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

m.hache posted:

That new Honkai game (creators of Genshin Impact) comes out today. Big enough to warrant its own thread? Can't seem to find one in the mobile forums.

There's a thread for it over here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4030579

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Awesome. Looks like it was just created

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Android port of Peglin is now out. The first area is free to try, but unlocking the full game costs 9 bucks.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.RedNexusGamesInc.Peglin

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

BoldFace posted:

Android port of Peglin is now out. The first area is free to try, but unlocking the full game costs 9 bucks.

Ooooo nice! I loved this on PC but it felt like it was screaming for a mobile port.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Has anyone tried out Tower of Winter? It's a text roguelike with a turn based combat system. It's been pretty fun but so far it seems like the only way to unlock more characters and scenarios is to spend actual money and I'm not doing that.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

BoldFace posted:

oh no, this bodes poorly for my job

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

quite stretched out posted:

oh no, this bodes poorly for my job

Eh so long as you don't get caught, it only hurts rich people. And therefore nothing of value is lost.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

BoldFace posted:

I found it hard to play on my non-huge samsung S21. The text is way too small for my old eyes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The squares boss runs like crud, too many moving parts. I'll probably stick to my PC, but for how much I've enjoyed the game ai don't mind giving the dev more money.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Was messing around on Google Play and noticed I had a notification for a Google Play Games beta from a month ago to be able to play Android games on my PC ... had to mess around with BIOS/UEFI to enable virtualisation, and install Windows features to be able to open the app ... and it's just a small fixed selection of games I've never heard of.

But cool if in future I could play/sync some of my faves on PC.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

teethgrinder posted:

Was messing around on Google Play and noticed I had a notification for a Google Play Games beta from a month ago to be able to play Android games on my PC ... had to mess around with BIOS/UEFI to enable virtualisation, and install Windows features to be able to open the app ... and it's just a small fixed selection of games I've never heard of.

But cool if in future I could play/sync some of my faves on PC.

You already can, just pick up bluestacks

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

leper khan posted:

Not really if you use Hyper-V based security. Well, you can, but it's dreadful

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
lemme get vampire survivors on the google play games beta so i can have my save on PC and i'll be happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

leper khan posted:

Didn't they make this mine Bitcoin in the background for the programmer or some equally dumb poo poo?