Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Put the 30mm cannon on a drone :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Hyperlynx posted:

To back up for a sec, planechat started because of this:

Given that basically everyone agrees that ground-based antiair is more important and more cost effective, I wonder why their Twitter is asking for planes.

Misdirection, maybe? Like the whole "Javelins are winning the war for us, they're amazing" thing when it's actually mostly artillery, with a lot of Javelin footage having been saved up from the initial successes and then trickled out over a longer time period.

It's a big decision insofar as it is a major deviation from present policy and intentions and even if it was approved, a long process on top of that. Given that it's such a long term project, might as well get started making the case sooner rather than later.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I imagine UA's logic is "if we have a credible air force, we can in theory do counterstrikes and achieve actual air superiority, which may get Russia to sit the gently caress down and give up on the war."

Widespread AA has a similar effect but presumably the Russians COULD do air missions, they'd just be horribly risky, so the idea would be that this changes Russia's thinking from "we would prefer not to" to "we actually cannot, because UA air will intercept our air."

e: It would also be childishly simple to sever the bridge coming into Crimea with even one good air mission, but I'm not sure it's otherwise possible for Ukraine to threaten it unless they retake enough space on the Azov coast to feel secure bringing down HIMARS.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

ded posted:

The A-10 should be replaced by drones tbh. Why put pilot lives at risk when we have proven tech that works well.

How many drones are needed to hoist a GAU-8/A Avenger autocannon?

Beaten by my kind of ape :angry:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

How many drones are needed to hoist a GAU-8/A Avenger autocannon?

Beaten by my kind of ape :angry:

man Up 2 is real dark poo poo

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Hyperlynx posted:

Given that basically everyone agrees that ground-based antiair is more important and more cost effective, I wonder why their Twitter is asking for planes.

Ukraine isn’t proposing that they fund, resource, or train their own aviation maintenance program, for one.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ded posted:

The A-10 should be replaced by drones tbh. Why put pilot lives at risk when we have proven tech that works well.

1. Fit A-10s with Tesla FSD systems
2. Set up a front company to sell them to the Russians as new Iranian drones.
3. Profit!

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

my kinda ape posted:

A-11 Farthog

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Make them drone planes for a 1 way journey. Let me go go out doing what they were bread for.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

my kinda ape posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmkXw3GLZ64

Go to bed Dahir.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The Brrrt that everyone loves strikes a hollow, painful chord with me, because we were denied, and as we limped our trucks out of the fight, here comes the deep screech of those engines, and then the firing of those guns as we handed our wounded off. We were denied for hours, and after everyone is spent and bleeding, the loving B Team comes out with the A Team QB.

A-10 sucks. I don't know for sure- I know gently caress all about costs and whatnot, but I know I felt way more comfortable I wouldn't get DU'd by AC130 than an A10. My guts says it would be better/cheaper platform for the same role the A10 currently provides, CAS when we own the sky.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

While you nerds were watching the skies, the Ukrainians reportedly opened up a foothold in on the Dnipro.

https://twitter.com/dominic00719779/status/1650268324796743682?s=46

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

pantslesswithwolves posted:

While you nerds were watching the skies, the Ukrainians reportedly opened up a foothold in on the Dnipro.

It is at best a diversion. They're there to make noise and force the Russians to do something about them. Once they do, Ukraine will attack somewhere else.

It's not possible to sustain any kind of meaningful force there. It's all swamp and gunk.

On the off chance that the Russians ignore them forever, they could become a force to secure the left bank for a pontoon bridge or something at which point Ukraine could start moving some legitimate forces over.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

bulletsponge13 posted:

A-10 sucks. I don't know for sure- I know gently caress all about costs and whatnot, but I know I felt way more comfortable I wouldn't get DU'd by AC130 than an A10. My guts says it would be better/cheaper platform for the same role the A10 currently provides, CAS when we own the sky.
I’ll agree on better, but it only recently became cheaper: AC-130J is 15% cheaper than A-10C, but AC-130U is over twice as expensive in FY2021. Smaller crews and more efficient engines cut costs a lot on the latest model while A-10s are getting older and costing more to maintain.

Edit: found FY21 numbers.

standard.deviant fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 24, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Deteriorata posted:

On the off chance that the Russians ignore them forever

haha it was a feint

you only thought we were going to do something about it

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

haha it was a feint

you only thought we were going to do something about it

In a good plan feints become the main thrust if the enemy ignores it because it’s a feint.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

mlmp08 posted:

Ukraine isn’t proposing that they fund, resource, or train their own aviation maintenance program, for one.

I'm not sure I follow, can you elaborate? Do you mean "given they haven't proposed that stuff, which would be necessary, this must just be PR"?

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Def Mon is saying all this excitement is a misinterpretation of ISW's reports.

https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1649152253742182419

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Hyperlynx posted:

I'm not sure I follow, can you elaborate? Do you mean "given they haven't proposed that stuff, which would be necessary, this must just be PR"?
I read that as Ukraine planning for someone else to pay for all those necessary things, just like other people have been paying for a huge amount of materiel already.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
There usually constant reports of Ukraine on the left bank loving around but thats cause Russia pulled a long way back since the area is a swamp and almost impossible to attack through

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

Murgos posted:

In a good plan feints become the main thrust if the enemy ignores it because it’s a feint.

There's a single broken bridge leading to a swampy island that hosts 10 klicks of highway to the next bridge taking you off the island to the continent, and there's a fortified city across the 2nd bridge. So even if you would cross Dnepr over the broken bridge, you would get massacred for 10 kilometers before blown up with the second bridge while taking fire from the city on the far bank of Konka river...

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

There's a single broken bridge leading to a swampy island that hosts 10 klicks of highway to the next bridge taking you off the island to the continent, and there's a fortified city across the 2nd bridge. So even if you would cross Dnepr over the broken bridge, you would get massacred for 10 kilometers before blown up with the second bridge while taking fire from the city on the far bank of Konka river...

Fair enough. Wasn’t aware how bad the terrain is.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hyperlynx posted:

It is easy to say you want a capability when you will not be the one to pay for it or maintain it.

But if Ukraine was handed $500 million in credit they could use to buy anything and everything at a western arms market, I don’t think F-16s would even enter discussion compared with other munitions and arms.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

Murgos posted:

Fair enough. Wasn’t aware how bad the terrain is.

ISW tonight writes about possible event of a Ukrainian counteroffensive across the seven active axes of current Russian operations: https://understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-april-23-2023

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

mlmp08 posted:

It is easy to say you want a capability when you will not be the one to pay for it or maintain it.

But if Ukraine was handed $500 million in credit they could use to buy anything and everything at a western arms market, I don’t think F-16s would even enter discussion compared with other munitions and arms.

Right, absolutely.

I had sort of assumed they were thinking along the lines of your second paragraph, though. An ep of War On The Rocks (https://warontherocks.libsyn.com/backing-ukraine-against-russia-with-colin-kahl-and-derek-chollet I think) discussed not sending F-16s because it's not cost effective, because there's only so much aid budget actually available, and I got the impression that this was something Ukraine are aware of as well; that they could theoretically have one F-16 or 146 Stinger missiles but not both, and so the second is the better option. And that, at least on some level, the Ukrainians are indeed involved in drawing up the shopping list.

Put another way: they aren't paying for it in their own money, they're paying for it in opportunity cost, and I was pretty sure they're aware of that.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 24, 2023

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

After reading ISW report tonight I would run a counteroffensive in two phases:

In Spring/Summer from Kupyansk all the way directly Eastward to reach the village of Bilolutsk cutting any North-South supply lines in Luhansk Oblast forcing Russia to withdraw beyond Aidar River and to the pre-operation contact line in this region.

In the Fall Southward from Huliaipole and Vuhledar to the Azov Sea making the demotivated invaders retreat and negotiate a complete surrender of hostilities for their special operation.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
One of the best recent discussions on Ukrainian air defense was on the Geopolitics Decanted podcast.

https://geopolitics-decanted.simplecast.com/episodes/how-can-ukraine-survive-the-exhaustion-of-its-air-defense-stocks

quote:

Dmitri Alperovitch talks with Justin Bronk (Senior Research Fellow for Airpower and Technology at RUSI and Professor at Royal Norwegian Air Force Academy) and Dara Massicot (Russian military analyst at RAND) about the dire implications of the dwindling stocks of Ukrainian air defense interceptors and what can be done to solve that problem.
Justin makes a strong case for how only a dozen or so Swedish Saab Gripen jets could make a huge difference for Ukrainian objective to make Russian air power irrelevant in this war and Dara proposes an asymmetric response to deny Russian military launch platforms from which they could strike Ukraine.
Also, in the podcast:
- Why F-16s are a terrible fit for Ukrainian airfields and the dilemma the US would face in providing the newest AMRAAM missiles for them (that Ukraine would need) without jeopardizing US air superiority in the potential conflict with China
- How the Russian Air Force is likely to carpet-bomb Ukrainian cities, provide increased close air support to its ground forces and target Ukrainian logistics/ammo depots/force concentrations and HIMARS launchers if they achieve air superiority over the skies in Ukraine
- The challenges with producing Soviet air defense interceptor missiles outside of Russia
- Why Western air defense systems (Patriots, NASAMS, IRIS-T, etc) are not a replacement for the large quantities of Ukrainian S-300s and Buks
- How countermeasures on Russian fighter jets have actually been effective in limiting their combat losses against MANPADS like Stingers - Why Russian Aerospace Forces (VKS) are considered the most professional and most responsive to learning units in the Russian military
- The success of Ukrainian counter-UAV battle against Iranian Shahed kamikaze drones and how a phone app is making a key difference for Ukraine in that fight

My rough tl;dl: Ukrainian GBAD is running on empty, and there aren't enough Western systems to replace them at scale and in time. Justin makes a strong argument for a small quantity of Gripens with long-range Western (European) AA missiles being enough of an 'air force in being' threat that the VKS would continue to act very cautiously, because Russia can't replace its planes easily.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Apr 24, 2023

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

my kinda ape posted:

Put the 30mm cannon on a balloon :getin:

and then it can double as the propulsion system

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Hannibal Rex posted:

One of the best recent discussions on Ukrainian air defense was on the Geopolitics Decanted podcast.

https://geopolitics-decanted.simplecast.com/episodes/how-can-ukraine-survive-the-exhaustion-of-its-air-defense-stocks

My rough tl;dl: Ukrainian GBAD is running on empty, and there aren't enough Western systems to replace them at scale and in time. Justin makes a strong argument for a small quantity of Gripens with long-range Western (European) AA missiles being enough of an 'air force in being' threat that the VKS would continue to act very cautiously, because Russia can't replace its planes easily.

Kinda loving weird how you have all these OSINT and International Relations dudes going "No, Ukraine doesn't know what they actually should want and the russians are way more capable than we've ever seen them be, I KNOW WHAT UKRAINE SHOULD WANT MORE THAN UKRAINE"

Tl;dr: I'm calling bullshit.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Tunicate posted:

For a change of pace, the CIA decides to secretly back a communist revolution

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
At one point the US argued that Ukraine should want to prep for imminent invasion and Ukraine said the US was being alarmist.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
GBAD

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

mlmp08 posted:

At one point the US argued that Ukraine should want to prep for imminent invasion and Ukraine said the US was being alarmist.
I'd argue this was probably a coordinated tactic to allow Russia an easy offramp prior to there invasion. Among other things, the US being so vocal was intended to let Putin to walk away from the buildup with the win of making the Great Satan again look like it was an alarmist war monger. Ukraine's reluctance to publicly entertain the threat helped stymie a panic which could have advanced Putin's goals before he even committed his forces, destabilizing both the political system and economy.

There's no evidence on either side to back this up, but it seems a pretty reasonable hypothesis :shrug:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'd argue this was probably a coordinated tactic to allow Russia an easy offramp prior to there invasion. Among other things, the US being so vocal was intended to let Putin to walk away from the buildup with the win of making the Great Satan again look like it was an alarmist war monger. Ukraine's reluctance to publicly entertain the threat helped stymie a panic which could have advanced Putin's goals before he even committed his forces, destabilizing both the political system and economy.

There's no evidence on either side to back this up, but it seems a pretty reasonable hypothesis :shrug:

Given how quickly the Ukrainians responded to the invasion, I don't think they were particularly unprepared. They didn't want to give the appearance of preparing to avoid giving Russia an excuse, but there was plenty going on out of sight.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
There are a hilariously low number of Gripens that have even been manufactured, let alone spares to send any to Ukraine. It would be better to send F-16s

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cugel the Clever posted:

I’m not so glass half full about the opening weeks of the war. Ukraine fought tenaciously and with some unexpected tactics (flooding their own towns with a dam to buy time), but I don’t buy that it was all part of a Ukrainian pre-planned coordinated response. Kharkiv held on by a thread and suffered immense damage. The JFO was well prepared to fight in the east, but Ukraine was effectively caught off guard by other axes of attack.

I’ve also seen the argument, usually from the stance of pro-Russia cheerleaders that the war could have or would have been avoided entirely if the US didn’t devilishly/fraudulently warn of Russia’s preparations, but I don’t buy it.

RUSI wrote about the opening weeks of the war, and their take was generally that Russia achieved surprise, but was so effective they surprised their own staff and troops, which is a problem.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 24, 2023

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Cugel the Clever posted:

Eh, interviews with Ukrainian commanders ive seen from the early days do not at all suggest that this was the case. If it was a coordinated tactic, it wasnt coordinated with the actual soldiers on the ground anyways

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Even at the time I don't think anyone thought Russia would gun for Kyiv or anything, they figured it would be a case of taking a bite out of the east. Instead it looks like Russia's actual goal was at best everything east of the Dnipro, at worst literally the entire country just becoming Russia.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cugel the Clever posted:

Publically calling the shots was a fairly risky gamble with the US's international reputation, yeah.

Ended up making the US look great but I'd have preferred no invasion at the cost of looking like idiots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Ukraine lost the territory it did in Kherson at least because there Russia's undermining efforts re: traitors paid off and one of their paid agents allowed a bridge to remain standing that should have been exploded