Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Antivehicular posted:

So, anyone played anything fun this week?

In an ongoing Fellowship game that's really going places, with a second one that may be coming back to life. So that's fun.

Also, Apocalypse Keys is officially out. I have a friend who may run it at some point, and I'm just excited to see how the tokens, sweet-spot rolling system and collaborative mystery-creation work in practice.

EDIT: Also Eidolon is neat too, go look at the bottom of the last page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Antivehicular posted:

I got a Kickstarter game on the table! It was Pocket Landship, I played solo, and lost due to, umm, dice. It's got a really quick turn cycle of you rolling dice for your side and making some decisions, then rolling for the other side and following a simple AI flowchart. It was fun!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I finished reading A Distant Mirror, by Barbara Tuchman, and got a bunch of ideas for Oath of Light, whose main setting has now firmed up as being a mash-up of modern, medieval, and wuxia elements—basically, you take the genre tropes from wuxia and bolt them onto a cultural and aesthetic milieu that resembles European fantasy. A lot of this comes from the realization that "martial brotherhoods," "crusading orders", and "adventurer's guilds" all basically fill the same social function, and that ancient cultivator bloodlines also work fine as European royalty.

Right now the defining image in my mind is a squire pulling dozens of swords out of her messenger bag trying to find the "correct" one for her lord.

I was originally planning to have an invading empire of insufferable cultivator techbros in togas who describe themselves unironically as "philosopher-princes", but it turns out that actual historical knights already have the "testosterone-poisoned failsons ruining everything while partying themselves into the grave" niche completely covered.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Apocalypse Keys is officially out. I have a friend who may run it at some point, and I'm just excited to see how the tokens, sweet-spot rolling system and collaborative mystery-creation work in practice.
Oh, neat, I'd forgotten about this game. I should pick that up.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I played Dreams in the Witch House, a point and click adventure game that's kind of like if Roadwarden was set in Miskatonic University. I thought it was pretty good!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Antivehicular posted:

Our Shadowrun party is getting mocked by more experienced Runners because we've Pink Mohawked our way through absolutely disastrous and idiotic infiltration attempts, and now we're weighing our choices between pissing off our agent(who told us NOT to rise to the bait) and getting some sort of revenge(at the very least keying their car on the way out).

I've also got someone trying to recruit me for a game of Rocket Age, which is tempting because I absolutely do want to punch Nazis in space, but I know it's going to be hell on my scheduling.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know what the difference is between a solo RP and a fanfiction? :v:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Violet_Sky posted:

Does anyone know what the difference is between a solo RP and a fanfiction? :v:

solo RPs contain prompts and rules

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Solo RP has rules, usually in the form of an Oracle or other guidelines.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, most solo roleplaying games involve structured rules, some element of randomness, and some way of interpreting that randomness (the "Oracle" Kwyndig mentioned). It's essentially writing with randomized prompts and usually with a focus on a single viewpoint character.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Antivehicular posted:

I ran a little more of the Impossible Landscapes campaign for Delta Green. It's a pretty fun book to run overall since there's a lot of GM-specific stuff for it.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, most solo roleplaying games involve structured rules, some element of randomness, and some way of interpreting that randomness (the "Oracle" Kwyndig mentioned). It's essentially writing with randomized prompts and usually with a focus on a single viewpoint character.

Oh that makes sense! There was a soloRP community on Reddit I found when looking up wtf it was.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Countblanc posted:

To be fair fanfiction can have rules and prompts too

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
My group just played our first session of our third season of Tailfins, our shipborne setting for Tailfeathers. We're testing out high level stuff, so the tactical part was a bit crazy with everyone trying out high level characters with tons of options. The mystery part was fun. I'm trying to play strictly according to my own random mystery generator's rules to see where the rough parts are.

The player characters are a 7th year student at a 5-year school who thinks he's doing a 21 jump street style investigation; a dual-wielding wandslinging menace who has incredibly bad luck with potions; and a scrying mirror that gained sentience by the sheer power of her own vanity.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Countblanc posted:

I'm gonna be honest my first reaction to this is 'so it's just a writing prompt with restrictions'

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Plutonis posted:

Has anyone tried to make a setting based on the John Wick movies? Considering the worldbuilding on those I think it's fertile ground for some insane world of assassins thing.

It's called Vampire: the Masquerade.

(Not really but they have very similar vibes)

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Antivehicular posted:

I've prepped a proxy deck of the upcoming Disney Lorcana TCG (printing, cutting out the cards and putting them in sleeves with cards took a bit of work), I've played a few games against myself to get a feel for the rules/flow but haven't gotten to actually play it yet. The game looks really cool.

I don't usually get to play board games on the weekend, Monday's more my boardgame day.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

S.J. posted:

I'm gonna be honest my first reaction to this is 'so it's just a writing prompt with restrictions'

It’s probably more accurate to say that a solo RPG’s restrictions also typically introduce unpredictability in the midst of the narrative. Stuff changes when you least expect it, in ways you couldn’t have predicted, as though injected by an unseen third party. The best solo RPGs feel like there’s a GM running a solo game for you: oracles are a spookily effective technology.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Like how pandemic has random elements that make a narrative while you play and plan!

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Bot Factory. At last, a Vital Lacerda game that doesn’t look great but then take an hour to explain then consist of 2 hours with nobody being sure what they’re doing then running out of time. Instead it looks great and so far seems to actually be.

RPGs are pretty much a write off for me for the foreseeable future but I turn up to take my rote turns in PF2e and very occasionally something interesting happens.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

I played Dreams in the Witch House, a point and click adventure game that's kind of like if Roadwarden was set in Miskatonic University. I thought it was pretty good!

Heard a lot of good reviews about that, really should try it at some point.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Violet_Sky posted:

Oh that makes sense! There was a soloRP community on Reddit I found when looking up wtf it was.

FYI we also have a solo RP thread! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3959142 It has a lot of posts but nobody's posted in it in April but it might still be a useful resource if you're interested.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
as someone who balks at spending more than $50 on board/card games but will happily spend hundreds on multiple when they are like 20%, i have a hard time keeping on top of deals

does anyone have a good recommendation for a trad games deal aggregator, or a twitter feed?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Crossposting from the boardgame thread, I don't hang around this one much:

Fat Samurai posted:

More of an RPG question, but what the hell. Has anyone played Alice is gone with non-gamers?

For context: My SO and I play boardgames but have never RPed, and the other couple I plan to play with have played EXIT games and some other light boardgames, but are new to RP as well. Reviews are pretty good, but always from people who have played a lot of RPGs already.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

John Romero posted:

as someone who balks at spending more than $50 on board/card games but will happily spend hundreds on multiple when they are like 20%, i have a hard time keeping on top of deals

does anyone have a good recommendation for a trad games deal aggregator, or a twitter feed?

There is a deals thread but it hasn't been updated this year.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Fat Samurai posted:

Crossposting from the boardgame thread, I don't hang around this one much:

Just to make sure we're talking about the same game, you mean Alice is Missing, right?

If so, I had a run of it last year. It was a good time, if a bit demanding on the players. Putting aside the content warnings that one might expect for a story about a young woman going missing in a small town, the game has an initial setup where the group talks through various suspects, the group's relationships with Alice, and their relationship each other. Then, for the next 90 minutes, each player only communicates through texts/Discord messages, with new clues being revealed at given intervals. In practice, it works like the oracles as discussed in the Solo RP conversation a few posts back, with the person who drew the clue describing what they found, which subject it implicates, etc.

In practice, I've seen players freeze up when they draw a card, as they don't know what to do with it. The cards aren't generic, but sometimes, they can feel like a stretch to link to one of the suspects based on previous conversations.

So, all in all, a good game that has some pitfalls for people going in blind.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Antivehicular posted:

I ran a Frontier Scum: Acid Western RPG one-shot for my online game variety group. It's a gorgeous rulebook and the system is a fun Mork Borg-influenced rules-light-ish OSR system. I ran the adventure in the book and it was fun and flavorful.

The one downside of the experience was that the guy who made the sheets for the game for both Roll20 and Foundry replicated the paper sheets in CSS rather nicely, but did just that and did not deign to implement any kind of "hey you wanna to roll damage for your weapon?" or, say, make sheets for the NPCs/Monsters. I probably won't run this again for a while just because of the underimplementation of the system.

Gonna run SHIVER RPG next, which is a setting-neutral horror system with funky dice. The Foundry implementation looks functional enough, so hopefully there won't be any surprises there.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm still really enjoying Netrunner. We also pulled our old copy of elder sign off the shelf a little while back and have been enjoying that.

I also have my Wildsea book sitting taunting me to finally read it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Megazver posted:

Gonna run SHIVER RPG next, which is a setting-neutral horror system with funky dice. The Foundry implementation looks functional enough, so hopefully there won't be any surprises there.
Let us know how that goes! I skimmed SHIVER and thought it was pretty interesting; it seemed like a general-purpose system more than a horror-specific thing.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Splicer posted:

I also have my Wildsea book sitting taunting me to finally read it.

Oh boy, to read that again for the first time. I envy you.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
a very particular rabbit-hole lead me to discover Skirmisher Publishing's one-page Travel-Sized RPG, whose resolution system is

The DM picks a number from a range, and informs the player of the range. Harder challenges use a wider range. The player has to guess the number picked. Stats and equipment and assistance and character abilities increase the range that the player's guess applies to. If the DM's number falls within the range of the player's guess, the player-character succeeds.

That is, an "average" challenge would be picking a number from 1 to 15. If it's a physical challenge, and the player-character has a physical stat of 2, and the player guesses a 6, then they succeed if the DM picked a number between 4 and 8; a 6, plus or minus 2. If the player also had a piece of equipment that was applicable, then the range might increase to plus-or-minus 3.

Now, the whole point of this is that you wouldn't need any dice or other random number generator, that you could play this game in your head, with little to no material resources involved.

But I can't shake the designer-brain: if given a challenge of 15, why would you not just pick 7 all the time?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

It's 2023. A smartphone dice rolling app makes a fine substitute for dice when traveling.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

The Bee posted:

I think it's gonna get increasingly hard for I Can't Believe It's Not Butter D&Ds to find their footing, because boy are a ton of them going to be hitting the market in rapid succession. You have Pathfinder continuing to have that market share cornered, you have Shadow of the Demon Lord and 13th Age putting out their second editions, you have all the old school heartbreakers, and now between Kobold Press, Cubicle7, Matt Colville, and the Critical Role team you're getting a lot of post-OGL names throwing their hats into the ring.

And all of this is happening right at the cusp of a new edition-ish update coming for D&D, which could steal all the attention back off of these offshoots.

In some ways, this is actually pretty exciting. In other ways, man is it seeming increasingly likely that these new products are going to cannibalize each other.

Eh, at this point I view that as just sort of a natural phase of the TTRPG industry: We go through periods of D&D-like booms and busts. and we're in the midst of a period where there are a lot of contenders in the marketing fighting for success in the same niche. If history is anything to go by, this situation isn't going to be sustainable because there isn't enough of a share of the market for all of them to be successful, the more popular ones will stick around and carve out a niche for themselves, and then the less popular ones will be forgotten and fade away. Then eventually the D&D alternative market will equalize and develop and we'll see a new boom of contenders trying to appeal to the crowd of people who want a game that's like D&D but [x]

On the bright side, these sort of boom periods often precede a period of innovation for systems completely different from D&D: After a year or so of everything on the shelf being a D&D-like, you're going to get a segment of the market that's just completely burned out on dungeons, dragons and d20 and that opens up space for new and experimental systems to find success. It's like how the initial success of the storygame movement came at the tail end of the d20 boom.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

John Romero posted:

Magnetic North posted:

There is a deals thread but it hasn't been updated this year.

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522409] Coupons & Deals › Boardgame Deals - YOU CLEARLY AREN'T DOING ENOUGH BONDAGE, BUDDY![/quote] gets a post about a deal fairly regularly, and it'd be good to direct folks to that thread if the one MN linked is basically dead.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

PurpleXVI posted:

Our Shadowrun party is getting mocked by more experienced Runners because we've Pink Mohawked our way through absolutely disastrous and idiotic infiltration attempts, and now we're weighing our choices between pissing off our agent(who told us NOT to rise to the bait) and getting some sort of revenge(at the very least keying their car on the way out).

I've also got someone trying to recruit me for a game of Rocket Age, which is tempting because I absolutely do want to punch Nazis in space, but I know it's going to be hell on my scheduling.

The best part about running Rocket Age with the group I'm hoping to get is that at least one player character will be 50% near incomprehensible jokes about how loving poo poo the Italian Fascists were.

Edit: The other 50% is rationally hating customers.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

PurpleXVI posted:

It wasn't last week but I did get tapped to have my Shadowrun character-turned-Johnson offer a job to a different group. Said character had beef with the VP of Ares said runners were making a run against, so I went off-script and offered an extra $15k if one of them would take a poo poo in her desk. No note needed, she would know who it was from.

They agreed before the run not to do it because leaving DNA evidence in the desk of a VP of Ares Security is a death sentence. The decker still had to be physically restrained because "it's Ares, of course they deserve it"

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

bbcisdabomb posted:

They agreed before the run not to do it because leaving DNA evidence in the desk of a VP of Ares Security is a death sentence. The decker still had to be physically restrained because "it's Ares, of course they deserve it"

I mean, no one said it had to be their poo poo. I'm pretty sure you could buy a turd in a bag off someone on the street in ShadowRun for less than $15k.

Your players clearly need more training in lateral thinking.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Idk what it is about players and making GBS threads in desks. One of the games I ran had a player unexpectedly get hold of a load of leverage over a powerful devil (specifically, enough stock certificates to break a deadlock in the board of the corporation in Hell he controlled), and he asked them to name their price for getting it back. The player offered to trade them for getting to take a poo poo in his desk.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

gradenko_2000 posted:

a very particular rabbit-hole lead me to discover Skirmisher Publishing's one-page Travel-Sized RPG, whose resolution system is

The DM picks a number from a range, and informs the player of the range. Harder challenges use a wider range. The player has to guess the number picked. Stats and equipment and assistance and character abilities increase the range that the player's guess applies to. If the DM's number falls within the range of the player's guess, the player-character succeeds.

That is, an "average" challenge would be picking a number from 1 to 15. If it's a physical challenge, and the player-character has a physical stat of 2, and the player guesses a 6, then they succeed if the DM picked a number between 4 and 8; a 6, plus or minus 2. If the player also had a piece of equipment that was applicable, then the range might increase to plus-or-minus 3.

Now, the whole point of this is that you wouldn't need any dice or other random number generator, that you could play this game in your head, with little to no material resources involved.

But I can't shake the designer-brain: if given a challenge of 15, why would you not just pick 7 all the time?

You can get random numbers by the dm thinking of a number between 1 and x, the player doing likewise, then adding them and having it rollover so for a d20, 15 plus 8 equals 3. Afaict there's no way to game that. Also, you know, a phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

PurpleXVI posted:

I mean, no one said it had to be their poo poo. I'm pretty sure you could buy a turd in a bag off someone on the street in ShadowRun for less than $15k.

Your players clearly need more training in lateral thinking.

True Shadowrun brain would be robbing a portajohn and leaving the results in the desk.