Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is there literally any evidence that the development has been troubled? Like have they missed a bunch of deadlines for no reason? Isn't it possible they're just making a really big game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
its pretty uncommon or weird for a game to be confirmed to come out within 12 months and complete radio silence on the cusp of month 11, but whether that counts as "troubled" or not is up to you

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
silksong has been canceled. hornet said a slur

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Isn't it obvious that the scope of Silksong grew until it basically became Hollow Knight 2? But it doesn't really matter because Hollow Knight 2 is what people want anyway.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

silksong has been canceled. hornet said a slur

shaw no more

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
While we all wait patiently for Silksong, I'd like to recommend two other indie games in the meantime - Crosscode (top down action RPG, heavy on dungeon puzzling) and Unsighted (top down action RPG, very replayable, timer mechanic for NPC deaths). Both are extremely good, Crosscode in particular is one of my favourite games in years despite some flaws (mainly to do with perspective when platforming).

Also to jump in on recent chat, Tunic was great despite the rough combat, Ori I thought was mediocre, Wonder Boy was fantastic.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Countblanc posted:

its pretty uncommon or weird for a game to be confirmed to come out within 12 months and complete radio silence on the cusp of month 11, but whether that counts as "troubled" or not is up to you

It looks like everyone in the world knows its supposed to come out soon, so maybe they're just waiting until like a week before to say anything

Lots of indie devs do things different from big studios, it's why we like them

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

HampHamp posted:

While we all wait patiently for Silksong, I'd like to recommend two other indie games in the meantime - Crosscode (top down action RPG, heavy on dungeon puzzling) and Unsighted (top down action RPG, very replayable, timer mechanic for NPC deaths). Both are extremely good, Crosscode in particular is one of my favourite games in years despite some flaws (mainly to do with perspective when platforming).

Also to jump in on recent chat, Tunic was great despite the rough combat, Ori I thought was mediocre, Wonder Boy was fantastic.

:lea:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

precision posted:

It looks like everyone in the world knows its supposed to come out soon, so maybe they're just waiting until like a week before to say anything

Didn’t they drop the DLC for Hollow Knight with absolutely no warning? Like, “oh surprise it’s available for download right now.”

I wouldn’t put it past them to wait until the last possible moment to announce Silksong is coming out either.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If I had to speculate, it seems like they made a deal with Microsoft, and I would imagine that deal is the reason they're not just talking freely.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

RCarr posted:

Didn’t they drop the DLC for Hollow Knight with absolutely no warning? Like, “oh surprise it’s available for download right now.”

I wouldn’t put it past them to wait until the last possible moment to announce Silksong is coming out either.

I really hope this is what they're doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weMwjW2jQqQ&t=3175s

They mention it on the C&C podcast when talking about upcoming games. Basically, Hollow Knight was brilliant, and Silksong should have been capitalising on it but it's missed the boat, and now it has this narrative surrounding it which is all about how long it's taken. I think what they're getting at is that no matter how good the game ends up being when (or if) it ever gets a release, it'll always have this "well after this long it had better be a flawless masterpiece" thing surrounding it. One of them brings up that it was announced far too early, which I agree with. Imagine if they'd just announced it in 2022. Hollow knight would still have the sales and acclaim it has. Silksong would just be the sequel that is coming out in a couple of years without this narrative surrounding it.

Oh well lol.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 23, 2023

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
At this point the main reason I want silksong to come out is so people stop making poo poo posts about it on the internet.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I imagine there's a bit of, they were riding high on getting the first game done and were thinking "yeah let's make another one right away!" and then only after that realized that unless they just want to copy the first game, ideas take time

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

precision posted:

Is there literally any evidence that the development has been troubled? Like have they missed a bunch of deadlines for no reason? Isn't it possible they're just making a really big game?

Making a really, really big 2D metroidvania would be the problem in itself. There's a reason most games in the genre are like 8-10 hours tops, if they really are making some Elden Ring sized monument to hubris it probably has been a nightmare to refine and turn into a coherent experience which would certainly causes delays

But anyway I'm being way too down on it, hopefully it's just being delayed Nintendo-style because they want to polish it to a mirror sheen and make every minute of the game sing. Who knows!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

mycot posted:

Isn't it obvious that the scope of Silksong grew until it basically became Hollow Knight 2? But it doesn't really matter because Hollow Knight 2 is what people want anyway.
Why wouldn't it be?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Mymla posted:

At this point the main reason I want silksong to come out is so people stop making poo poo posts about it on the internet.

but that's the best part of the hype for a long-awaited game. Does no-one remember the dizzying heights of the no man's sky thread pre-release?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cactus posted:

They mention it on the C&C podcast when talking about upcoming games. Basically, Hollow Knight was brilliant, and Silksong should have been capitalising on it but it's missed the boat, and now it has this narrative surrounding it which is all about how long it's taken. I think what they're getting at is that no matter how good the game ends up being when (or if) it ever gets a release, it'll always have this "well after this long it had better be a flawless masterpiece" thing surrounding it. One of them brings up that it was announced far too early, which I agree with. Imagine if they'd just announced it in 2022. Hollow knight would still have the sales and acclaim it has. Silksong would just be the sequel that is coming out in a couple of years without this narrative surrounding it.

Oh well lol.

I don't think they had the option of waiting to announce it, did they? A Hornet DLC was one of their original Kickstarter stretch goals, and the first announcement of Silksong was to say that the DLC had expanded in scope to become an entire new game. If we weren't all waiting for the sequel to come out we'd have all been waiting for the promised DLC.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

precision posted:

They had a big, polished looking treehouse presentation where they said it was “coming soon” back in 2019. Would they have said that if they knew it was coming out mid-2023 at the earliest? It seems safe to say that plans have changed since that presentation, but since they haven’t said anything about why or how people are going to speculate, and “game dev is troubled” is a pretty natural direction for the speculation to go.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Tenebrais posted:

I don't think they had the option of waiting to announce it, did they? A Hornet DLC was one of their original Kickstarter stretch goals, and the first announcement of Silksong was to say that the DLC had expanded in scope to become an entire new game. If we weren't all waiting for the sequel to come out we'd have all been waiting for the promised DLC.

Yeah, and that's kind of what's hosed them. I mean this is no Chris Roberts situation at all by any stretch, but I think the lesson here is don't put loads of poo poo in your stretch goals or even talk about your future plans until you're at most a couple of years away from realising them. It'll be a fantastic game when it comes out I'm sure, but it serves as a cautionary tale when it comes to how to market things.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
If they didn’t announce it people would just be screaming at them to announce it. They’re an abnormally small team, it’s probably going to be another giant game, they’re releasing four skus at once, and they don’t have a publisher breathing down their necks. I don’t think they give a poo poo about some metanarrative around the game’s development either nor should they

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

precision posted:

there isn'y really an indie dev playbook with stuff like this though. many of my favorite creators spend months leading to release tweeting out stuff about their game or showing up on relevant community podcasts/etc or the like. one of my favorite solo devs, mino, has been tweeting out artwork and making blog posts about their recently announced game Rabbit & Steel even though it isn't due out for probably a year.

none of this means silksong is hosed or even Troubled but i really don't think it's particularly striking or problematic for people to wonder what happened given its dev timeline.

e: just to be clear, i don't necessarily want team cherry to do those things, i just want to emphasize that for some people, being a small indie team means you're more likely to be on social media or the like talking up your game (either out of market necessity/fear or just because it's a thing you're passionate about and you want to talk about with your game-loving oomfies)

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 23, 2023

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

they're waiting for all the bugs to be dead irl before releasing a second game about a kingdom of dead bugs, for pathos reasons

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

alternate take: the game has been complete for a year now and the deadline was for them to port it to as many other consoles as they can

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Welp in the meantime imma play some everspace 2.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

they're waiting for all the bugs to be dead irl before releasing a second game about a kingdom of dead bugs, for pathos reasons

thats like a month, bugs dont live very long

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

queen termites can live up to 50 years...

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

PIZZA.BAT posted:

alternate take: the game has been complete for a year now and they are loving with us

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I believe in Silksong.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ColdPie posted:

I believe in Silksong.

This

turtleface
May 28, 2003

I'm helping

ColdPie posted:

I believe in Silksong.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
:sigh:
Bapanada.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
If you don’t post “I believe in Silksong” then the game will not launch once you download it.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I believe in Zote the Mighty.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
zote will have 57 new precepts in silksong

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Countblanc posted:

zote will have 57 new precepts in silksong

The game has been delayed so long because they need to come up with more precepts

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Cactus posted:

but it's missed the boat

lmao no

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Cactus posted:

Basically, Hollow Knight was brilliant, and Silksong should have been capitalising on it but it's missed the boat, and now it has this narrative surrounding it which is all about how long it's taken.
You people are utterly deranged. Hollow Knight came out six years ago, was an unexpected hit, and the devs followed up with extremely impressive support and content additions.

Anyone acting like there's any serious sign of a problem with silksong's development should be ignored.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Two years from now if there’s still nothing, then there might be a problem

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the you tubers and podcasters will have a field day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Martman posted:

You people are utterly deranged. Hollow Knight came out six years ago, was an unexpected hit, and the devs followed up with extremely impressive support and content additions.

Anyone acting like there's any serious sign of a problem with silksong's development should be ignored.

I think when you're confident enough to be showing a playable demo at E3 and then there's four more years of radio silence, something has gone awry