Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Matt Martin: “at home especially you want to be bangin’ early”

Also, someone is going to die before the end of this Isles Canes game. NHL reffing worse than normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I thought it was funny how Tampa fans are screaming about how "Classy" the Toronto GM is. As if they weren't chirping him the whole game. It's really funny when fan bases get in the "classy" argument.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Tampa once again proving white collar crimes of cap circumnavigation treated differently than regular play smh you hate to see it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Arguing with fans while in a suit is the classiest way to do it.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

It’s funny to me that yesterday we had Leon Draisaitl whining about specific calls against him and the Oilers coach saying that Connor McDavid should be deciding whistles not refs and it didn’t make waves at all.

Meanwhile Keefe says “Stamkos jumped Matthews bare-knuckled while he was picking up sticks off the ice because he knew the refs would take them both and get Matthews off the ensuing powerplay, veteran move and good play by him” and that is somehow more controversial.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No it isn’t!

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

Koopa Kid posted:

It’s funny to me that yesterday we had Leon Draisaitl whining about specific calls against him and the Oilers coach saying that Connor McDavid should be deciding whistles not refs and it didn’t make waves at all.

Yeah but I enjoyed it immensely.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Koopa Kid posted:

That’s because you ignore people who are acting like babies until they stop throwing their tantrums.

If McDavid wants to decide whistles I’m sure he can take the referee clinic and buy one.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Oilers being whiny entitled baby villains was not the storyline I was expecting to come out of these playoffs.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
to be fair to the oilers the referees are calling them on a bunch of insanely stupid penalties that the oilers are committing, which is pretty frustrating

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jhet posted:

That’s a little surprising, but only a little. Development is a little stagnant this year I think and with the talent in Iowa right now they really need to get it right. Could have quite a few guys making a move up in the next two years and from the little I got to watch of Iowa this year they just weren’t consistently playing well.

COVID sucked in general, and also interrupted a promising season for the Iowa Wild. The 2019-2020 season was the best by far for the team before things shut down as they were in 2nd place in the Central after finishing 3rd the previous year and looked like they were ready to make a deep playoff run. This season, they were extremely inconsistent; at one point in the season they had a 6 win streak followed shortly by a 7 loss streak.

There's likely some frustration with Marco Rossi not making the leap to a full time roster spot with Minnesota. They at least seem to be happy with Jesper Wallstedt's progress as they're keeping the goaltender coach.

Ginger Beer Belly fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 23, 2023

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

COVID sucked in general, and also interrupted a promising season for the Iowa Wild. The 2019-2020 season was the best by far for the team before things shut down as they were in 2nd place in the Central after finishing 3rd the previous year and looked like they were ready to make a deep playoff run. This season, they were extremely inconsistent; at one point in the season they had a 6 win streak followed shortly by a 7 loss streak.

There's likely some frustration with Marco Rossi not making the leap to a full time roster spot with Minnesota. They at least seem to be happy with Jesper Wallstedt's progress as they're keeping the goaltender coach.

Yeah, Rossi really hasn't gotten better this year. I'd put Adam Beckman and Sammy Walker in the same group, and probably a couple of the 20 year old D as well in O'Rourke and Hunt.

Wallstedt has been showing development, but the results in front of him just weren't there this season.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Boy did that sweep by Tampa absolutely destroy the Panthers.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ThinkTank posted:

Boy did that sweep by Tampa absolutely destroy the Panthers.

Eh look at the team lineup compared to last year. We’re frankly shocked we made it in this year and all our hopes were already set for next year.

Fun game for a loss, got to see the Tkachuk/Ullmark stuff at that end live so hey. Felt like we got referee’d a chunk at the beginning that killed the momentum, but it’s Luxmore and *checks notes* oh no it does turn out he’s a notorious rear end in a top hat.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
just 4 more years of bob at $10 mil

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I figured Boston would still be alright without Bergeron and Krejci, since this is the entire reason they loaded up on depth, but I didn't think they were going to drop 10 goals on Florida this weekend.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

EL BROMANCE posted:

Eh look at the team lineup compared to last year. We’re frankly shocked we made it in this year and all our hopes were already set for next year.

Genuinely curious, what makes them a better team next season besides no Staals

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Dirty Burger posted:

Genuinely curious, what makes them a better team next season besides no Staals

I mean that’s a pretty good start. Hornqvists contract is also up, hopefully Zito can find a few players that haven’t worked for other teams in the past but fit our system well.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

EL BROMANCE posted:

I mean that’s a pretty good start. Hornqvists contract is also up, hopefully Zito can find a few players that haven’t worked for other teams in the past but fit our system well.

We have this Tyler Myers.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Florida needs a Granlund. Same money as Hornqvist. Or a Petry perhaps?

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Fun game for a loss, got to see the Tkachuk/Ullmark stuff at that end live so hey. Felt like we got referee’d a chunk at the beginning that killed the momentum, but it’s Luxmore and *checks notes* oh no it does turn out he’s a notorious rear end in a top hat.

I was looking at the contracts and it's going to be really tough for this team to improve since the only large contract coming off the book is Hornquist's $5.3 million. Other than that, the only contract larger than $1 mil is Gudas's $2.5 mil. Everyone else expiring is making near vet's minimum. Furthermore, Knight's contract goes from ELC to $4.5 million. There's barely any space--they might end up having to re-sign some of these veterans on minimum contracts just because there's so little room. The real hope is that the team next year is healthy. No way Duclair or Barkov should be playing right now with how invisible they've looked. And you gotta pray that Knight ends up being worth that contract as a true #1 goalie as well. It's possible, but hoo boy.

The other real hope is that next year's team doesn't have motherfucking Paul Maurice.

e: for your convenience, here's the capfriendly https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/panthers

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
anyone wanna take bets on if I survive a full round one series this year

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

clean ayers act posted:

just 4 more years of bob at $10 mil

Worse stat line than Fleury in these playoffs lol

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Foligno with a couple of... interesting... penalties in the game 4 loss:
https://twitter.com/MinnesotaSOH/status/1650306781921542145
https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/1650290247459127297

First time in a while I've seen one player take two dubious calls on plays that both seemingly had better calls avaliable. To be clear, this was a game of completely dogshit ref work across the board and both of those were more or less identically makeup'd with a similarly close to the puck interference call and an entirely phantom trip when Zucc lost an edge. Stars won because Oettinger was on his head and the Wild want the extra pass and can't kill a penalty worth a poo poo.

Concerned about the rest of the series -- it's none of these players, but the Wild's DNA is getting too cute when they're stymied by a goalie and that's always been the top line's Achilles heel.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The first one is definitely tripping and Marchment went out of his way to try to avoid hitting Foligno back, so maybe stop taking lovely runs at people and missing badly?

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007
Thank gently caress the oilers have nurse locked up for the 10 years and only 9.5 million

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
I'm playing a lot of deck-based games like Inscryption and Slay the Spire these days, and Nurse and his contract legit feels like a negative card attached to inserting McDavid into your deck.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Any word on what's up with Nichushkin being away from the team going forward? Lots of rumors swirling around on twitter which I won't regurgitate here, but the Avalanche seem to be very circumspect about what might be going on with him..

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
The only confirmed thing is that it's personal and non-disciplinary.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

eXXon posted:

The first one is definitely tripping and Marchment went out of his way to try to avoid hitting Foligno back, so maybe stop taking lovely runs at people and missing badly?

Playing devils advocate here since I'll always toss poo poo at refs first and foremost--the inconsistencies to what is and isn't too much to ignore is the issue here. Makeup calls are garbage, they don't makeup for lovely judgments prior.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/friedgehnic/status/1650225074551799808?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Didn’t see this posted before the game, but Paul Maurice is the best

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Mike Works posted:

I'm playing a lot of deck-based games like Inscryption and Slay the Spire these days, and Nurse and his contract legit feels like a negative card attached to inserting McDavid into your deck.

Necronomicurse

“Unplayable.
There is no escape from this Curse. ”

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003

VOTE1 posted:

Necronomicurse

“Unplayable.
There is no escape from this Curse. ”

Necronominurse

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
They had thier chances. Gotta hold on to 3-goal leads and late-game leads.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Lmao Kings

Solid meltdown and might give the Oilers the series

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Way to go Kings. The Oilers have their confidence back. This'll be over in six now.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
What an awful OT winner

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
The Leafs literally cannot win tonight.

Either they lose and it goes to a 2-2 series.

Or they win, and the Leafs go to the dreaded 3-1 playoff lead.

Leafs are def winning tonight !

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

eXXon posted:

Yeah, Foligno ate poo poo on both of those hits because he’s a meathead with bad aim. He skated face-first into Marchment, who was trying to avoid the hit. The contact to Foligno’s head was his own fault and he also took Marchment’s feet out with leg-on-leg contact. Just an idiotic play by Foligno all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

What an awful OT winner

I think it was pretty good!