Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
PM me, because I'm an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

PM me, because I'm an idiot.

If being an idiot causes PMs to come in my inbox should be crashing this website daily

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
See, my mate used to play in a band and they released one of their albums on tape, specifically hoping that a bunch of crazy people who buy every new tape release would buy it. It also didn't sell that well, although they've managed to sell some at live gigs. They also tried to advertise the band on some weird goth forum, reasoning that they could get a small but very dedicated following there, but the following ended up being too small and too dedicated.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Paladinus posted:

See, my mate used to play in a band and they released one of their albums on tape, specifically hoping that a bunch of crazy people who buy every new tape release would buy it. It also didn't sell that well, although they've managed to sell some at live gigs. They also tried to advertise the band on some weird goth forum, reasoning that they could get a small but very dedicated following there, but the following ended up being too small and too dedicated.
How are their CD sales?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
There’s actually one very good reason to sell music on tape, and that’s because only tape players are allowed in prisons. If you want to do inmates a solid and let them listen to your music doing a tape release is a nice thing to do. I think the tapes might also need to be made of translucent plastic?

Not sure why cds aren’t allowed, maybe they’re worried people will shatter them?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Huh, I didn't know that. I'm sure shattering is at least part of it for CDs, they've been very pointy when I've broken them.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Splicer posted:

How are their CD sales?

Better than tapes. Bandcamp is definitely doing the best.

Talorat posted:

There’s actually one very good reason to sell music on tape, and that’s because only tape players are allowed in prisons. If you want to do inmates a solid and let them listen to your music doing a tape release is a nice thing to do. I think the tapes might also need to be made of translucent plastic?

Not sure why cds aren’t allowed, maybe they’re worried people will shatter them?

Okay, that actually makes sense. I forgot America was hell on earth. On the other hand, quick googling reveals it might not be the case anymore, or at least not in all states, so yay for incremental progress.

Paladinus has a new favorite as of 20:00 on Apr 23, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Paladinus posted:

Better than tapes. Bandcamp is definitely doing the best.

Okay, that actually makes sense. I forgot America was hell on earth. On the other hand, quick googling reveals it might not be the case anymore, or at least not in all states, so yay for incremental progress.

In some states you are only allowed to buy a digital media player sold by the state, where you download books and music at outrageous prices, then lose all access whenever the state switches providers. https://www.jpay.com/PMusic.aspx

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Pham Nuwen posted:

ah, a split-level house

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Paladinus posted:

More people should release their music on GBA cartridges, imo. Now that's a good gimmick.

♫ when you walk away
you don't hear me say
please oh baby, don't go
simple and clean is the way that you're making me feel tonight
it's hard to let it go ♫

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I was at a gig once where one of the acts was a guy with a Gameboy. He pushed some buttons IDK if it was "live" or what. It wasn't bad I guess :shrug:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Paladinus posted:

More people should release their music on GBA cartridges, imo. Now that's a good gimmick.

I have some chiptune artist's album on a SNES cartridge that someone bought me for Christmas one year.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I was at a gig once where one of the acts was a guy with a Gameboy. He pushed some buttons IDK if it was "live" or what. It wasn't bad I guess :shrug:

This EP owns btw

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Tenkaris posted:

This EP owns btw

Hell yes it does

It's Beck's Gameboy Variations, for those who are curious (Youtube Music link)

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
You can play audio CDs in a PS4 just not directly. You put the CD in and rip it to MP3

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It could’ve been. https://www.littlesounddj.com/lsd/index.php

However, these days it’s https://dirtywave.com/

You come from one of the lands of the demoscene, so surely you can appreciate trackers.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

I appreciate this.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Paladinus posted:

but the following ended up being too small and too dedicated.

'too dedicated' sounds like a buried lede.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

You can play audio CDs in a PS4 just not directly. You put the CD in and rip it to MP3

[citation needed]

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

freeedr posted:

If being an idiot causes PMs to come in my inbox should be crashing this website daily

3D Megadoodoo posted:

[citation needed]

Here you go

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

3D Megadoodoo posted:

[citation needed]

Yeah never mind, I’m dumb. I had a vague recollection of playing some old CDs on my PS4 a few years ago but I just tried it and it doesn’t work. We must have still had the PS3 hooked up in the living room at that time and I had used that. The PS3 did have the ability to rip CDs to MP3 though which was useful for the time.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
A point in CDs' favor is that most digital music releases still do not exceed the quality that you can get on a CD. (It's absolutely possible to do so and some artists take advantage of that, but most don't.) So if you choose CD as your physical release format, it's obsolete in one way but it doesn't sound any worse, usually. Whereas cassette tapes generally sound worse. On the other hand, they also sound different, so that's some kind of value I guess. Why listen to a CD if the sound and overall experience are pretty much identical to the MP3s/FLACs, just less convenient?

Nine Inch Nails briefly messed around with the idea that the "physical component" could basically be whatever you want it to be, including something resembling a software manual. But I think they more or less realized that's a younger man's game and didn't follow it through all the way.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Talorat posted:

Oh yeah, then how come adebisi had one huh

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh yeah, then how come adebisi had one huh

em city was an experiment

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
When I flew to Ireland in 2002 on Aer Lingus they allowed cassette players but expressly forbid CD players (the lasers could damage the plane's navigation systems, I guess they thought) and, specifically, Game Gears.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Baron von Eevl posted:

When I flew to Ireland in 2002 on Aer Lingus they allowed cassette players but expressly forbid CD players (the lasers could damage the plane's navigation systems, I guess they thought) and, specifically, Game Gears.

Game gear ate batteries like mad, would be so lovely on a plane

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Tenkaris posted:

Game gear ate batteries like mad, would be so lovely on a plane

they knew you'd throw the controller before take off

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Grassy Knowles posted:

they knew you'd throw the controller before take off

and the whole thing is the controller!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The game gears exceeded the plane’s weight limit

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Galaxy brain: The irish were nintendo fans

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Thread in danger of insufficient quotes

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Paladinus posted:

I am mystified that people pretend cassette tapes are a thriving media format widely used by indie bands and big artists alike because of what great format it is, and not a silly gimmick that targets almost exclusively a niche audience of nerds.

You don't have many friends do you?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Thread in danger of insufficient quotes

I'm helping

Bluh
Dec 28, 2012

D-Pad posted:

You don't have many friends do you?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Outrail posted:

'too dedicated' sounds like a buried lede.

A couple of weirdos sent them PMs, asking to be in the band, trying to find where they lived, etc.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Paladinus posted:

A couple of weirdos sent them PMs, asking to be in the band, trying to find where they lived, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwqONPxMy88

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Paladinus posted:

bad groupies

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

banned band groupies.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Gropies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

A fair and just probation

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The best rock is the rock I found that has two stripes in it. It is my rock now.

rotor posted:

post the rock bro

3D Megadoodoo posted:

No

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

quote:

Lied about rocks. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.