Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

My dad was a baptist and hit me and told me pokemon was the work of the devil.

Been playing pokemon ever since. :beerpal:

Also he used some loophole where he created a company and made his new wife the CEO and put on the books that he was being paid minimum wage in order to avoid paying child support to my mum.

Wants my kid to get baptised.

lmao.

Finally the Anidav origin story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Pulls me up one Sunday school

"Son...
Did you know Pokemon....

Stands for Pocket Monsters?!?

As in DEMONS!"

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
https://www.theage.com.au/money/saving/would-your-children-pass-my-pocket-money-challenge-nine-in-10-don-t-20230421-p5d2dk.html

quote:

Nine out of 10 children who take my pocket money challenge – and there have been a lot of them – fail it, though it’s probably the best money lesson they will ever learn.

But that’s only if their parents stay strong and stick to the playbook – or more accurately “paybook”. If you’re interested in giving it a shot, here’s how it works:

Whatever amount of pocket money you give your children a week, extend them a special offer: you can keep getting $10 a week, or you can opt to receive $40 at the beginning of the month.

Four times the weekly amount is a fortune for a child, and they will very likely choose the all-at-once option. And then, inevitably, blow it all at once.

The challenge for parents – and the only way the life lesson will land – is not to give them any more.

Neither tantrums nor tears should dissuade you from your vital mission to show (not tell) your child how to manage money.

Instead, these are your three key talking points for the probably very sad, treat-free month:
1. Even though you can’t often see it, money runs out

The not-insignificant obstacle modern parents face in teaching their children about money is that it is fast becoming invisible.

Years ago, wages came in an envelope stuffed with cash that might even have been doled out in front of the family around the dinner table. It was that simple and that salient.

Years ago, too, there was no ability to spend more than you earned. Until the advent of credit cards – the Bankcard launched in Australia in 1974 – you had to wait for said envelope before you could spend a cent.

Fast-forward to today and there is easy credit everywhere and, as soon as they turn 18, your “digital native” children will become marketing targets for all sorts of fast-money fintech products.

The pocket money challenge is a great real-world way of demonstrating that money runs out, and needs to be eked out. And, in itself, pocket money is a fantastic tool to teach that money is earned and not bestowed. To instil that work ethic from the get-go.

I believe some chores should just be part of being a good, contributing member of a family team – tidying and dinner/dishwasher helping are the baseline expected in my house. And let’s face it, adults don’t get paid to do it.

However, you should give your children the chance to earn extra and be rewarded for extra effort, too, say from higher-input tasks like washing and vacuuming the car, cleaning the house or mowing the lawn.

I’m also an advocate of paying children in cash. This helps with its smart allocation and your next life-changing chat…

2. Waiting works wonders

That old money maxim “pay yourself first” is hugely valid and valuable from the very beginning.

I have always made my children save 10 per cent of any money for the very long term and “future you”: their first car. Miss 10 now has $563, and the car is going to be pink. What’s left is theirs for smart money management practice.

And just like us grown-ups, your children need strong motivation to resist instant gratification. Without the monster truck or Squishmallow of their dreams to look forward to, why wouldn’t they just buy slushies?*

Here, your mantra for them is “save don’t cave” and making all their spending goals visual – with pictures and progress on the wall or a goal-targeting app – promotes small-person success.

Heard about all the celebs cutting off their children’s money? Mostly, they want them to be able to have and hit their own financial targets because “pain in the game” (including big savings for a house deposit) makes us all appreciate things more. But ouch!

3. Interest is everything

Be sure to explain that if you buy something before you have the money – a trap set for adults – the cost of everything goes up. That price on the label? Nope – it’s higher because you didn’t wait and instead spent somebody else’s money.

Your children need to pay the absolute lowest possible interest – because it’s just throwing away money – and earn the most to grow their money as if by magic.

This make-or-break message was what was missed in now-defunct school banking programs: the banks delivering the programs were never going to say “shop around” for other banks.

Meanwhile, the “brand halo” meant students coming of age were simply likely to become overnight, interest-overpaying customers.

But parents who are worried their children no longer get money tuition at school should know it has been embedded in the Australian curriculum since 2015 across a raft of sometimes surprising subjects.

Your child will never come home and say “we did financial literacy today in class” but they will get at least a smattering on which the pocket-money challenge can help you adroitly build.

How did my own fare? A 50 per cent pass rate. One is a (delightful) work in financial progress.

* Terrible, I know, but parenting is an exercise in eroding your initial rules, right?

Advice given in this article is general in nature and is not intended to influence readers’ decisions about investing or financial products. They should always seek their own professional advice that takes into account their own personal circumstances before making any financial decisions.

Nicole Pedersen-McKinnon is the author of How to Get Mortgage-Free Like Me. Follow Nicole on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.

Important talking point number 4. $10 a week equals $520 a year. $40 a month equals $480.

So taking her advice, her kids lose money. And that's how YOU can be mortgage free like her - steal your kids money.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

EoinCannon posted:

I'm a Catholic and married an orthodox person in an orthodox church and I didn't have to do anything extra as the two churches are cool with each other I guess. Would have been nice to learn a bit about it though, it's very different to the modern Catholic church, probably more like it was pre Vatican II

Not quite, they split about 900 years before Vatican II. Something about the bread, probably more about political power struggles, but I like to imagine it was mostly a fight about the bread.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm reminded of the old marshmallow test and how they didn't think that what it's actually testing is 'which kids believe the promises made by strange adults'.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
how to make your kids hate you in 5 easy steps

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Why do they write 9 in ten instead of 9 in 10? Is this something I would have learned in high school English?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Konomex posted:

Not quite, they split about 900 years before Vatican II. Something about the bread, probably more about political power struggles, but I like to imagine it was mostly a fight about the bread.

I just mean the church interior, candles, the singing and the non vernacular service seem like old school Catholicism

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm reminded of the old marshmallow test and how they didn't think that what it's actually testing is 'which kids believe the promises made by strange adults'.

Yeah pretty much. Surprise, disadvantaged children are less inclined to believe the promises of adults.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Comstar posted:

https://www.theage.com.au/money/saving/would-your-children-pass-my-pocket-money-challenge-nine-in-10-don-t-20230421-p5d2dk.html

Important talking point number 4. $10 a week equals $520 a year. $40 a month equals $480.

So taking her advice, her kids lose money. And that's how YOU can be mortgage free like her - steal your kids money.

also teaching them a lesson in rent negotiation - 150 bucks a week rent? Too hard, how about I just wire you six hundred at the start of each month, deal?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I'm mortgage free (because I can't afford a house).

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah when you control for SES you actually find no difference. Turns out being rich made those kids believe that food wasn't going to disappear and successful later in life, not some mythical self control bs.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Ranter posted:

Why do they write 9 in ten instead of 9 in 10? Is this something I would have learned in high school English?

its a dumb as poo poo use of a general style guide where you use 1-9 and then ten onwards and a perfect example of why following style guides to the letter isnt ideal and you learn it in fail uni journalism classes

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

But they've still managed to do it backwards. It's supposed to be one to nine in words, numbers for everything after.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Wasn't expecting to see this in the SMH

quote:

Our love affair with property, which has driven the cost of housing to eye-watering levels and left Australians among the most indebted people in the world, is literally destroying our way of life and that of future generations.

The series we start today is not just a response to the high-priced houses and super-sized mortgages we have inflicted upon ourselves this century. It reflects the mounting evidence that one of our most basic needs – shelter – has become a dangerous financial instrument.

People cannot afford to live where they need. Our banks’ business models are based on one asset class – housing. The Reserve Bank must make decisions about the entire economy hamstrung by the huge level of mortgage debt held by ordinary Australians.

We have an army of mum and dad landlords who churn through their properties as they chase a capital gain because of the structure of our tax system.

The young and poorly paid, who a generation ago could afford their own home, now hope for an inheritance or loan from their parents to get a slice of the property market.

According to economists Sam Bowman and Ben Southwood and housing advocate John Myers, housing is more than just the size of your mortgage or inability to find an affordable rental.

They have developed what they describe as the “housing theory of everything”, which argues high-priced housing is at the heart of the many economic ills facing the globe.

Housing costs dictate where people live, the jobs they have, the size of their families and how they lead their lives. They mean we have to spend more on mortgage repayments or rent, giving us less to spend on goods and services. More broadly, people cannot live where they will be most productive. Businesses can’t get access to the people they need to operate to their fullest potential.

The world’s most productive areas, the places where the biggest breakthroughs are made, are in cities. But if we make them prohibitively expensive, the chance of a scientific or technological innovation is reduced.

At almost every point over the past 40 years, when given policy alternatives around housing, Australians collectively have made the wrong choice.

From local council chambers to the federal parliament, the wrong policy road has been taken.

Robert Menzies, and the state governments of the 1940s and 1950s, made Australia one of the great home-owning democracies through their public housing programs. But these have withered for decades.

It’s not just buying a house. Australian renters are, by any international comparison, poorly treated, be it from owning a pet to the length of tenure they might enjoy.

That’s exacerbated by a tax system that effectively encourages investors to own a single property who often struggle to deal with the issues that come with being a good landlord.

This series outlines the problem that is staring us in the face, how we came to make the decisions that created the problem, and some prospective solutions.

The solutions are not easy. If they were, previous governments would have tackled them. Instead, they have again and again kicked the issue off into the future or, even worse, come up with proposals that would make the situation worse.

Unless something changes, we are consigning ourselves to more economic pain. That’s pain that will be passed on to the next generation and the next.

As Grattan’s Brendan Coates warns, we are in danger of repeating the mistakes of the world inhabited by Jane Austen, where property was the way to wealth for just the upper echelons of society.

It is a truth universally acknowledged that the Australian housing industry cannot continue on as if nothing is wrong.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Lachlan Murdoch dropped his defamation case against Crikey.

Seemingly because they were going to bring in the evidence in the Dominion lawsuit against FoxNews.

Haha suck poo poo you entitled fascist propagandist. And whilst not to cheerlead crikey.com too much, yay for them for not being bullied.

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Wasn't expecting to see this in the SMH

This kinda feels like when a CEO of a major corporation donates a few mil to a charity - it doesn't really signal a major shift in editorial policy. Nine/Fairfax have been vocally against any kind of housing reform e.g. removal of negative gearing right? Having the odd "exclusive" like what they have today just comes across as pandering, given the cost of living pressures making housing feel like an unavoidable issue.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Business is FINALLY noticing it’s hard to get Worker’s because no on wants to work anymore after doing a 2 hour commute both ways.

Their solution is to allow big business to buy all the housing stock and rent it out. Presumably to their own young immigrant workforce without kids at low wages.

They won’t suggest public housing.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Comstar posted:

Business is FINALLY noticing it’s hard to get Worker’s because no on wants to work anymore after doing a 2 hour commute both ways.

Their solution is to allow big business to buy all the housing stock and rent it out. Presumably to their own young immigrant workforce without kids at low wages.

They won’t suggest public housing.

If properly regulated (it wouldn’t be) it can work. I understand in Germany relatively few people own and much of the housing stock is run by big businesses, but renters have way more rights than here. I think bigger businesses can also be more dispassionate and keen to avoid conflict and legal trouble than single property landlords who don’t know or follow the law. I’d rather have a company landlord with strong regulations than an idiot boomer with a chip on his shoulder about me living in his/her retirement nest egg. But I think it benefits from having lots of apartments/medium density housing which can be more efficiently refitted/renovated at scale. I am dubious about it being the right thing for all our stupid suburban houses. And home ownership is too entrenched culturally and within our tax system.

The problem is there is both a critical immediate issue and a long term one. We need lots of medium density public housing closer into our inner cities AND tax benefits wound back AND a pension that reflects renters rather than home owners AND increased land tax to change incentives around large blocks. But that’s all a ten to twenty year project (good to get started now though.) we also need solutions now, and I can’t think of much except massive boosts to the dole.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Edit: accidental double post

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Go the Singaporean Housing and Development Board route, where the government constructs, and has majority equity in your dwelling.

Preferably without the dystopian monolithic towers, but I guess that's one way of spreading the government dollar further.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian AU posted:

‘It’s obscene’: ATO still chasing $2bn in student debt from controversial 1990s loan scheme

The Australian government is still chasing $2bn of debt from more than 140,000 former low-income students who traded away their right to welfare under a loan scheme more than two decades ago. The student financial supplement scheme, which operated for a decade from 1993, enticed tertiary students to take out “low-cost” loans by giving up benefits including youth allowance, Austudy or the pensioner education supplement. Every dollar of welfare a student gave up entitled them to $2 in a SFSS loan, which could be used to help cover expenses while studying. Minors were also able to take out loans.
Figures supplied to Guardian Australia showed 143,487 people were still paying back $2bn in debts as of March. The highest single balance was $128,768. A spokesperson for the Australian Taxation Office said it was collecting SFSS as part of the “overall regime” for other student loans. “It’s collected via the income tax return system when income is over the thresholds for compulsory repayment,” a spokesperson said. The threshold is $48,361 a year. SFSS sits below Help and Vet student loans but above student start-up loans and trade support loans in the repayment hierarchy.

and in some good news:

Guardian AU posted:

BP facing green rebellion at annual shareholder meeting
Some of UK’s biggest pension funds preparing to demand tougher plans to reduce emissions by 2030

BP faces a green rebellion at its annual shareholder meeting on Thursday as some of Britain’s biggest pension funds prepare to demand the company toughens its plans to reduce its emissions by 2030. The National Employment Savings Trust (Nest), which represents about 11m individual workplace pensions, plans to back a resolution put forward by climate campaigners at Follow This, which calls for BP to align its emissions reduction plans with the Paris agreement. The campaign group has also won support from the Universities Superannuation Scheme and the council pensions fund Border to Coast, which have both also agreed to vote for the Follow This resolution.

Oil companies have faced rising dissent from activist shareholders including Follow This in recent years. In 2021, Legal & General Investment Management, one of the oldest fund managers in the City of London, backed a similar resolution put forward by Follow This at Shell’s AGM. The resolution was backed by 30% of Shell’s shareholders. Mark van Baal, the founder of Follow This, said BP’s existing plans to reduce emissions do not go far enough because they rely on reducing the carbon intensity of the energy BP sells while absolute emissions are expected to keep rising until the end of the decade.

The Paris agreement calls for all countries to limit their emissions in order to keep global temperatures from rising more than 1.5C above pre-industrialised levels by 2050. The 2020s are considered crucial years to cut carbon in order to remain on track. Van Baal has written to BP’s shareholders urging them to vote in favour of their resolution, saying it was “the only way to compel BP to reduce emissions this decade”. BP’s board has urged shareholders to vote against the resolution, saying it is “unclear”, “simplistic” and “disruptive”. The company added that it would threaten BP’s “long-term value creation”.

In a separate climate revolt the three pension funds are expected to vote against the re-election of BP’s chairman, Helge Lund, in protest at BP’s decision to water down its green pledges earlier this year without shareholder consent. The local government pensions schemes LGPS Central and Brunel Pension Partnership are planning to join the funds in voting against Lund’s re-election.

BP’s chief executive, Bernard Looney, originally set out a “net zero carbon” plan that included a goal to cut the company’s oil and gas production by 40% compared with 2019 by the end of the decade. However, he reset the target to 25% by 2030 in February after reporting the highest profits of BP’s 114-year history thanks to soaring oil and gas prices.
Separately, one of the largest proxy shareholder advisers, Glass Lewis, has recommended that shareholders vote against Looney’s £10m pay packet after the death of four workers last year. It was trimmed by only £78,329 to reflect the safety breaches.

EDIT: Lol, lmao

Guardian AU posted:

The Albanese government remains committed to the $250bn stage-three tax cuts but cannot say whether it will lift the rate of the unemployment payment, despite its own expert committee finding it was now “a barrier to paid work”.

Phew, I'm sure glad that Albo was just playing a small target strategy during the election and didn't, in fact, loving suck.

hooman fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 24, 2023

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We all said this when he got elected, the stage 3 cuts are going to hang around their necks every Budget because they make any other policy around addressing inequality (or not addressing it) ridiculous. Say you can't afford to lift welfare? But how then can afford to spend billions on the stage 3 tax cuts? Can't afford more money for the NDIS? But then how/why Stage 3? Etc.

If they were just throwing cash out at everything and everyone it might be a different story. But it's ridiculous to talk both about fiscal restraint and responding to cost of living / inequality issues while also keeping the stage 3 cuts. Witness as well the howling madness associated with Chalmer's minimal change to the super tax benefit, another source of major inequity in the budget. They might as well do both, double the dole, and just take the hits, they will not get anything done otherwise while constantly getting slammed for hypocrisy.

My view is they are probably waiting for the "right time" to dump them but that won't end up arriving and they'll get voted out anyway after their second term.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Blamestorm posted:

My view is they are probably waiting for the "right time" to dump them but that won't end up arriving and they'll get voted out anyway after their second term.

Cuts will happen irl before term 2 anyway (unless they do the coward pause which I think is more likely than just dumping them) and once they're in they're not getting rolled back under any circumstances.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

JBP posted:

Cuts will happen irl before term 2 anyway (unless they do the coward pause which I think is more likely than just dumping them) and once they're in they're not getting rolled back under any circumstances.

Yep, kind of what i meant but was unclear. They will have been in power long enough for the cuts to happen on their watch and very few other structural changes to the system of any scope, then they'll get kicked out anyway. I think they might have been hoping to build some momentum towards it (e.g. Chalmers gingerly putting an idea out periodically then retreating once he gets slapped) but the best window - immediately post election - is probably gone. The only way I can see them doing it is taking a big package of measures to the next election which axes the Stage 3 cuts (or, more likely, a proportion of them) and throws out a bunch of other goodies.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

hooman posted:

and in some good news:

EDIT: Lol, lmao

Phew, I'm sure glad that Albo was just playing a small target strategy during the election and didn't, in fact, loving suck.

eh, It is disingenuous to say that part of BP's carbon reduction should be reducing product. It just means the final product will be produced by someone else (Iran, tar oil sands in Canada, etc). BP should be focused on producing oil for as few scope 3 emissions as possible for as cheap as possible, safely as possible and the consumption of oil is on us as a group to resolve.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Blamestorm posted:

Yep, kind of what i meant but was unclear. They will have been in power long enough for the cuts to happen on their watch and very few other structural changes to the system of any scope, then they'll get kicked out anyway. I think they might have been hoping to build some momentum towards it (e.g. Chalmers gingerly putting an idea out periodically then retreating once he gets slapped) but the best window - immediately post election - is probably gone. The only way I can see them doing it is taking a big package of measures to the next election which axes the Stage 3 cuts (or, more likely, a proportion of them) and throws out a bunch of other goodies.

I can't see the liberals reestablishing themselves in 5 years tbh but Labor love to lose so we will see. If anything the libs will get hurt more federally next go round because the demos don't lie.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Electric Wrigglies posted:

eh, It is disingenuous to say that part of BP's carbon reduction should be reducing product. It just means the final product will be produced by someone else (Iran, tar oil sands in Canada, etc). BP should be focused on producing oil for as few scope 3 emissions as possible for as cheap as possible, safely as possible and the consumption of oil is on us as a group to resolve.

Not entirely true, as reductions in overall supply drive the global price up which further incentivises transitions towards cheaper renewables.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

JBP posted:

I can't see the liberals reestablishing themselves in 5 years tbh but Labor love to lose so we will see. If anything the libs will get hurt more federally next go round because the demos don't lie.

Honestly I was super burnt by Tony Abbott as I thought he was unelectable. Then I thought the same about Morrison vs Shorten, especially as Shorten had an actual policy platform of moderate but decent change. So I’m out of the projecting the future game.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Absolute emissions increasing is the extremely bad thing which fucks the planet. Which is exactly what the shareholders were demanding action on.

Also "If we reduce emissions someone else will increase them" is the kind of big brain thinking that leads to nobody reducing emissions ever. Someone has to do it.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I agree lets leave the multinationals to do as they please. only individual minimisation will solve this!

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
"We're doing our part, are you?*"

*We're not doing our part

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Blamestorm posted:

Honestly I was super burnt by Tony Abbott as I thought he was unelectable. Then I thought the same about Morrison vs Shorten, especially as Shorten had an actual policy platform of moderate but decent change. So I’m out of the projecting the future game.

abbott would have been unelectable if labor didn't spend 4 years self-destructing, but his hard-headed oppositional style was good at capitalising on that. dutton is trying the same thing but it's not working right now because labor have yet to seriously gently caress up and aren't tearing each other apart.

rudd's biggest mistake was not calling a double dissolution in 2009 to get a more workable senate when he had the chance.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Blamestorm posted:

Not entirely true, as reductions in overall supply drive the global price up which further incentivises transitions towards cheaper renewables.

There are better ways to increase cost of emitting that don't involve replacing low scope three existing wells run by BP with marginal wells operated by juniors or private investors without the imperative that goes with a major publicly listed company.

EG, fuel taxes, price on carbon including scope three emissions for the private sector, prioritizing reduction in government emissions even where it may impact services for the public sector.

For eg, the rise in gas prices in EU from reports has had a downward impact on gas emissions (in Europe, liquefying the replacement gas probably drove overall emissions up) but come with massive profits that everyone is down in the mouth about for other gas suppliers and increased cash outflows for the governments pumping in subsidies to avoid most riots, strikes and public unrest.

The one benefit of targeting supply side is that it limits emissions of developing countries (indeed, focusses reductions onto them away from higher paying customers) far more effectively if we think the high quality of life index countries should be taking direct/colonial action to impose global goals upon developing countries.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

The one benefit of targeting supply side is that it limits emissions of developing countries (indeed, focusses reductions onto them away from higher paying customers) far more effectively if we think the high quality of life index countries should be taking direct/colonial action to impose global goals upon developing countries.

Targetting supply side limits the emissions of everyone. Please look up emissions per capita of all countries. Reducing net emissions is exactly what the shareholders are demanding, BP should reduce production. Please also google the IMF.

EDIT: Seriously, do you imagine for a single second that any crying about the harm to developing countries from oil and gas producers is anything but cynical? Do you think they actually give a single poo poo? Sure, lets cut production and force all companies to pay reparations for exploitation, but the damage from not cutting emissions to those countries is going to be FAR WORSE. Please, please actually think about the broader context in which this "moral" case exists and don't just repeat pro oil propaganda uncritically.

hooman fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 25, 2023

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

For eg, the rise in gas prices in EU from reports has had a downward impact on gas emissions (in Europe, liquefying the replacement gas probably drove overall emissions up) but come with massive profits that everyone is down in the mouth about for other gas suppliers and increased cash outflows for the governments pumping in subsidies to avoid most riots, strikes and public unrest.

This is literally also a good thing. Institute a super profits tax to pay for it.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

There are better ways to increase cost of emitting that don't involve replacing low scope three existing wells run by BP with marginal wells operated by juniors or private investors without the imperative that goes with a major publicly listed company.

And for a final in the triple post. I do not give a single gently caress about "cost of emitting", because as you so rightly say cost of emitting is merely going to rearrange finances. We need to emit less. That is exactly what the BP shareholders are demanding. Emit. Less.

How, how you can write an entire post that is this bad? Every part of that post is just staggeringly moronic. God drat.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

lih posted:

abbott would have been unelectable if labor didn't spend 4 years self-destructing, but his hard-headed oppositional style was good at capitalising on that. dutton is trying the same thing but it's not working right now because labor have yet to seriously gently caress up and aren't tearing each other apart.

rudd's biggest mistake was not calling a double dissolution in 2009 to get a more workable senate when he had the chance.

Abbott was the perfect opposition leader at the perfect time for the Libs. A hard arsed man constantly on the attack and constantly saying "No!" to a PM who was perceived as a soft weak *gasp* woman, and was hindered by not having a clear majority to force through policy. The racism and sexism were also helpful at the time.

I would posit that he was still unelectable, as shown by him not even lasting a full term before being spilled. It's just his attack dog style of old school conservatism worked at the time.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
That and a dead hamster would probably have been able to beat the ALP given Murdoch's channeled outrage over the unforgivable crime of replacing his Annointed One with a Woman.

Shifting demographics and the fact that even the boomers are all in on streaming services now likely means the right wing media giants will never have that level of influence again.

There are still issues/risks associated with monolithic social media corps being totally stacked with Republican party lunatics, but I don't think Facebook for example expected to be outed so hard/fast in the aftermath of 2016. We'll likely see fewer outright attempts to swing elections, and more quiet fiddling of the algorithms to manipulate public opinion on individual issues, and mitigate against Gen Z becoming a socialist bloc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
abbott was electable in that he won in 2013, but he would have lost in a landslide in 2016 if he hadn't been forced out, yeah