Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I mean like there are *some* chipsets that support low power modes but usually that means cutting off the biggest drains — screen, wifi, etc.

It is entirely possible that the chipset chosen for the deck supports this, too, but they don't support it in-kernel. If so, someone could write a module to do it. Like — the ps4 and 5 and I'd kind of wager the Xbox too are all BSDs, etc

But, that's a lot of IFs, and the tradeoff doesn't really sound beneficial tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Panfilo posted:

It's interesting how you can tell how well optimized a game is based on both the memory requirements and battery life playing the game. I played ship graveyard simulator and it was janky as gently caress, took up a big chunk of storage in spite of being rather simplistic and repetitive, and only gives me about 90mins of battery life as the fan is revving the whole time. This is comparable to Hardspace: Shipbreaker, a similar kind of game that is way more pretty and polished. Ship graveyard simulator looked like a half life mod from 2003.

nothings made mine burn up like plastic duck simulator

alexandriao posted:

I mean like there are *some* chipsets that support low power modes but usually that means cutting off the biggest drains — screen, wifi, etc.

It is entirely possible that the chipset chosen for the deck supports this, too, but they don't support it in-kernel. If so, someone could write a module to do it. Like — the ps4 and 5 and I'd kind of wager the Xbox too are all BSDs, etc

But, that's a lot of IFs, and the tradeoff doesn't really sound beneficial tbh.

if chipset supports it but they turned it off its probably for a reason

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is it possible at to some point to have the Sleep and Download function to be handled only while docked? Like, the Deck itself can't do it, but when it's docked the Hardware in there could handle it for the Deck? Maybe this is way more engineering than it's worth.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Doesn't that already exist, it has the usual PC power settings where you can just make it not go to sleep if its plugged into power.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Would be nice for me not to have to wake the Deck when I dock it to keep it downloading anything.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its one button...

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

sigher posted:

Is it possible at to some point to have the Sleep and Download function to be handled only while docked? Like, the Deck itself can't do it, but when it's docked the Hardware in there could handle it for the Deck? Maybe this is way more engineering than it's worth.

It already does this, at least with the official Dock. I had it download a few games while hooked to that and not "on" and it worked fine.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Long term trip report on the Deckmate -

I stopped using it once I got the Killswitch case. I did have the VESA mount on a monitor arm, and put one of the adhesive female connectors on my Surface Pro to attach it. It held with no issues for seven months or so.

About a week ago, the VHB holding the female port onto the Surface gave way. It fell directly onto my phone, shattering both.

Don't trust the adhesive.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

homeless snail posted:

Its one button...

I come home late at night and usually tired and shitfaced, I'm not about to get home, plug it in, turn it on, turn on my monitor, go into the settings to get the screen to dim after X amount of time (I have this off) every time I dock the Deck. I want to put it to charge and go to bed, would be nice if that worked to download stuff too.

Fuzz posted:

It already does this, at least with the official Dock. I had it download a few games while hooked to that and not "on" and it worked fine.

How? My Deck is Docked almost all of the time it's asleep and I still turn it on and have a million shader downloads or game updates.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Mescal fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 28, 2023

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Mescal posted:

if chipset supports it but they turned it off its probably for a reason

Not what I meant.

Again, they're running a full desktop OS, so not only are they already, within the linux world, the main team writing the firmware and drivers for the thing, but they are likely the only paid team writing the firmware and drivers for the thing. So, why delay launch 2 extra months squeezing in support for an extra mode that the rest of the software stack wouldn't understand, rather than waiting until after launch, or for some rando Xtremely agile cowboy developers to do it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
playing a really cool early access game on my deck rn called Lunacid. It’s heavily Kings Field/Shadow tower inspired. The only current small thing I don’t like is the NPCs look very out of place. Think I paid like €6 for it, cool little game.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

A PC is perfectly capable of waking itself up in the middle on the night for updates.

I could see it being a nice feature but nah I don't want my devices with batteries doing that ever.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
FWIW, Valve is mostly using standard components and upstream sources. There are some Valve-sponsored code contributions to the graphics stack (mostly Collabora afaik) and to KDE Plasma (Blue Systems), but the hardware itself isn't particularly exotic and neither is the underlying OS. To get sound working, a Collabora employee contributed a single-line patch that added the PCI ID of the sound chip to the existing cs35l41 driver, for example.

The N-Gabe is a testament to how far you can get with mostly off the shelf software and semi-custom hardware. There are some laptops around that are harder to get running properly.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Heran Bago posted:

A PC is perfectly capable of waking itself up in the middle on the night for updates.

I could see it being a nice feature but nah I don't want my devices with batteries doing that ever.

Yeah I want my portable device to completely hybernate when I press that power button.

But from the previous posts it sounds like people don't know this: In desktop mode open your settings and select Power Management. There you can set up your power options however you want, turn off you screen and keep downloading stuff even on battery etc.

You can plug it in, tell it to never shut anything off when docked/plugged in, and let i autoupdate until you grab it and switch to gaming mode.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

playing a really cool early access game on my deck rn called Lunacid. It’s heavily Kings Field/Shadow tower inspired. The only current small thing I don’t like is the NPCs look very out of place. Think I paid like €6 for it, cool little game.
this game loving owns

you can get super fast too

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

sigher posted:

How? My Deck is Docked almost all of the time it's asleep and I still turn it on and have a million shader downloads or game updates.

Dunno, maybe mine was actually on while doing it, then? We were watching TV, I set it to download like 3 big games, put it on the dock, after the show was over I picked it up and everything was installed and ready to go.

I do have my Dock wired, though, so dunno if that may affect things as the wireless radio doesn't have to be on.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 24, 2023

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
windows has been trying to do exactly this with modern standby and it is loving Awful

maybe valve could do better but ugh

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

TwoDice posted:

windows has been trying to do exactly this with modern standby and it is loving Awful

Might need to get with the Apple folks (of all people). Their sleep modes and "powernap" seem to have worked well.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

hats the recommended articulated holder-grabber?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Your hands

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mescal posted:

I would think it would be very difficult to hold the Switch in a single hat, let alone many.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

TwoDice posted:

Modern standby has royaly hosed everything up in terms of Laptops and sleep.

Not unsurprisingly, its also tied to Windows Update being the intrusive pain in the arse that it always has been.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I would think it would be very difficult to hold the Switch in a single hat, let alone many.

wrong thread. im trying to put my steam deck in my hat

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Dunno, maybe mine was actually on while doing it, then? We were watching TV, I set it to download like 3 big games, put it on the dock, after the show was over I picked it up and everything was installed and ready to go.

I do have my Dock wired, though, so dunno if that may affect things as the wireless radio doesn't have to be on.
Are you sure you didn't just set it to not sleep when its plugged in. Like, it only has three states, its either on, off, or suspended to ram which is otherwise functionally off.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Mescal posted:

wrong thread. im trying to put my steam deck in my hat

Is this the new thing from Razer?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Next-Gen Valve handheld is the Steam Hat.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

homeless snail posted:

Are you sure you didn't just set it to not sleep when its plugged in. Like, it only has three states, its either on, off, or suspended to ram which is otherwise functionally off.

I mean I posited that very thought as the first line of the post you're quoting, so...

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Saoshyant posted:

Is this the new thing from Razer?
oh you gently caress I don't want to think about that thread

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

I said come in! posted:

Towering Pillar of SteamDeck Hats

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Gyshall posted:

I bought a 2TB so I can jam not just my backlog, but also all my comfort games onto this thing. Currently messing around with getting the entire elder scrolls catalog on here

Yep.

Handheld devices like the SD or even the Switch are basically useless to me without a library of "comfort" games. I've found the SD great for clearing big games, but my primary use case is shoving in 10-15 minutes of gaming here and there while I'm working or running errands or on trips or whatever. Those are never the right moments for digging into something big, but they're perfect for games I want to spend more time with but never get the chance.

We also end up using the SD for multiplayer games occasionally on trips and it's nice to have a decent library of two-player couch co-op things ready at a moment's notice without worrying about the time to download on hotel wifi.

Maenad
Nov 16, 2021

Dionysio

I said come in! posted:

Well, it always seemed like it might involve VR...

Paradoxish posted:

Handheld devices like the SD or even the Switch are basically useless to me without a library of "comfort" games. I've found the SD great for clearing big games, but my primary use case is shoving in 10-15 minutes of gaming here and there while I'm working or running errands or on trips or whatever. Those are never the right moments for digging into something big, but they're perfect for games I want to spend more time with but never get the chance.

'Comfort games' is certainly the term for them. Not sure if it's the handheld / screen being close to your face aspect or what, but the time I spend with mine feels oddly more personal than anything on a big monitor.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Mescal posted:

I just made an articulated arm work using a deckmate. Gonna screw it in place after the adhesive failure that was just posted.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973713&perpage=40&noseen=1&userid=103341#post531153288

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

Actually it looks like MCC goes down to 60% off pretty regularly, that’s a much more palatable price so I’m just gonna set a deal alert and wait

Quoting myself because MCC is once again 60% off

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I'm playing through it now! It's too bad Halo 1 seems to be so issue-prone (the Anniversary graphics stutter hard and would outright freeze, but even on old-fashioned mode the game crashes a lot) but 2 and Reach seems to be comparably flawless. I wanted to play them in release order, but enh, might just wind up skipping Halo CE entirely.

I only played Halo 1 SP in its day, and Halo 2 MP in college. This should be fun.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 25, 2023

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

So to play MCC online I need to set launch options to disable Easy Cheat or whatever its called? Do I have that right?

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
This thing is the best.

I upgraded my base model to a cheap 512GB Microcenter-brand drive. That's all the space I need, as I've always been very particular about only keeping three games installed at maximum. One "real" title I'm working through, one game that can be played in a few quick rounds like Rocket League, and maybe one MMO thing.

While modern games work surprisingly well I find myself finally chewing through a lot of classic games I've always just collected and poked around at. Right now it's the original Sam & Max. Next it will be Doom 1 + 2. Having a quick system-level toggle for integer scaling is so fantastic for this stuff.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

Beastie posted:

So to play MCC online I need to set launch options to disable Easy Cheat or whatever its called? Do I have that right?

Yeah, it's backwards right now. Enabling EAC will throw an error message saying it's not enabled. When I tried with it disabled last week, I didn't get the error message but it absolutely would not find a match (standard slayer options for Reach MP). Not sure what the deal is, but it sounds like it's working for other people.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

pig labeled 3 posted:

Yeah, it's backwards right now. Enabling EAC will throw an error message saying it's not enabled. When I tried with it disabled last week, I didn't get the error message but it absolutely would not find a match (standard slayer options for Reach MP). Not sure what the deal is, but it sounds like it's working for other people.

Okay thank you. And I apologize for being wrong a few posts back about MCC. It's not Deck verified but it does indeed work.

Just a little semantics but it shouldn't scare any off. MCC is a lot of content and it is amazing on deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Good news, MCC got Deck verified a week or two ago.