Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I had a conversation the other day where someone asked me how many games I own. When I told them it was around 60 they asked why I have so many and aren't a lot of them the same. I tried to explain that it's like music and you wouldn't say 1 song from a genre is all you need, there's nuance and differences between them that make each one interesting. Anyway, all of this waffling is just to say that despite just having Illiterati arrive I have just ordered Paperback Adventures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

My buddy bought Great Western Trail: Argentina despite having never played the original, and while it was an absolute pain to learn once we got going it was a good time. I'm not sure if I would even want to get the base game, having all the extra stuff to do gives you room to specialize that I really appreciated. Reminds me a lot of Brass: Birmingham that way.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Redundant posted:

I had a conversation the other day where someone asked me how many games I own. When I told them it was around 60 they asked why I have so many and aren't a lot of them the same. I tried to explain that it's like music and you wouldn't say 1 song from a genre is all you need, there's nuance and differences between them that make each one interesting. Anyway, all of this waffling is just to say that despite just having Illiterati arrive I have just ordered Paperback Adventures.

Firmly in the third stage of grief

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Redundant posted:

I bought the computer version of Paperback Adventures, but it just made me re-install Slay The Spire.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I've checked it out after you mentioned it and it sounds like this could be up my alley, but 100£ seems to be quite pricey for the type of game this is - it's what I paid Gloomhaven. I guess the plastic components are driving up the price, but most of it is cards; I also guess you could buy just 1 character, but then again £50+ is a lot to pay for a card game.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Admiralty Flag posted:

Sidereal Confluence...How long to play a five player game including teach, moderate to very experienced gamers, but with no experience with the game (besides me, who has the game and has played through a five player solo game for rules familiarization)?

Thinking a 15 minute max on the first trading period (needed for familiarization with own components) and a 10 minute max on each one after. Reasonable?

I'm thinking Imdril for the fifth power; they worked well in my trial game. Better than Unity or the Whales, assuming an inexperienced group? Of course, the Zeth would be off limits and I'm assuming the Yengii would be a nightmare for starting players to value tech appropriately.

(Hopefully, I'll snare some experienced players but it'll be a blind meetup invite so who knows who I'll get? I'll try to recruit from known gamers first to ensure I'm at least getting sharp, amiable folks before posting the meetup and see if I can get four good candidates.)

Also, is the Zeth not getting a starting colony the only errata for the game? Checked on BGG casually and that was all I saw mentioned. Edit: found the rules fixes link -- never noticed it before -- and found the other fix (flip of Kt' white & brown are donation goods). That's what I get for buying it cheap, but worth it (I hope)!

I just wanna take this as a jumping off point to say: People need to stop worrying about the Zeth and start playing with them. They're cool and good, and to get screwed over by them, you have to really refuse to make any concession to what they're doing, and honestly, I think players that play that way in Sidereal Confluence need to get knocked down for it, and realise that making concessions is how you win.

I've played so many games, where I try and do a deal with someone, and they're like "No, because that would be really good for you". And it's like, "well, yeah, but I'm not in the lead, and it would ALSO be good for you, us not doing it puts us behind everyone else?" And they're just like "No, it would be really good for you, so I wont".

To have someone in the game that says "Well then you lose everything. Good day." Is really cool and good.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The reason people avoid the Zeth is because the game literally tells you not to play with them your first game because newbies have no idea how to deal with what they're doing. Sidereal Confluence is a game that takes a few plays to get your legs on and like really understand and I wholeheartedly agree probably don't play with the Zeth game 1.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Glagha posted:

The reason people avoid the Zeth is because the game literally tells you not to play with them your first game because newbies have no idea how to deal with what they're doing. Sidereal Confluence is a game that takes a few plays to get your legs on and like really understand and I wholeheartedly agree probably don't play with the Zeth game 1.

Right, but game 2. Like, newbies definitely have every idea how to deal with what they're doing. It is very clear. It's just that it's the only faction in the game that can punish you, so it's something a newbie would concentrate too hard on.

1upmuffin
Jan 9, 2023
In a self imposed buying freeze at the moment, too many games I have that I haven't played yet.

Need to try:

Small World
Catan: Cities & Knights expansion
Ahoy
Parks Nightfall expansion
Machi Koro Legacy

Few others that I haven't played but they are high player count dependent or more complex games than I can usually get on the table.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Best board game accessory I've ever purchased. 0 regrets.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Alright, we're doing our annual math trade down here in Argentina so I wanted to ask for goon opinions on the following games:

PARKS
It's a Wonderful World
Junk Art
Istanbul
Res Arcana
Hive Pocket

Most of these I've had the chance to try on BGA or Steam (except for Junk Art, for obvious reasons). I'm mostly interested in knowing if the setup is a chore in comparison to the time it takes to play (for example Barenpark takes a bit too long to set up vs how quickly you can play a game of it) and any negative opinions you might have on them (Istanbul is the base game, not the big box). I'm not too sold on Res Arcana, the resource conversion left me a bit cold when playing it on BGA but I've been told the game's better in person.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Azran posted:

Alright, we're doing our annual math trade down here in Argentina so I wanted to ask for goon opinions on the following games:

PARKS
It's a Wonderful World
Junk Art
Istanbul
Res Arcana
Hive Pocket

Most of these I've had the chance to try on BGA or Steam (except for Junk Art, for obvious reasons). I'm mostly interested in knowing if the setup is a chore in comparison to the time it takes to play (for example Barenpark takes a bit too long to set up vs how quickly you can play a game of it) and any negative opinions you might have on them (Istanbul is the base game, not the big box). I'm not too sold on Res Arcana, the resource conversion left me a bit cold when playing it on BGA but I've been told the game's better in person.

Parks is under 5 minutes to set up, and is a pleasure to set up because of the optimized nature of the packaging. The box and packaging are engineered to store everything precisely and compactly.

It takes a couple of minutes longer with the Nightfall expansion, which is also optimally designed for storage.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
I love Res Arcana but it's definitely one of those games you have to play at 100% focus or else you'll be stuck in a ditch instantly. It's also significantly better if you play with the draft but you can't play that with new players so it's hard to introduce because you're playing the worst version of the game.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Good to hear about Parks! Honestly not sure why I even listed Istanbul because that's one I've been looking for for a while :v:

BinaryDoubts posted:

I love Res Arcana but it's definitely one of those games you have to play at 100% focus or else you'll be stuck in a ditch instantly. It's also significantly better if you play with the draft but you can't play that with new players so it's hard to introduce because you're playing the worst version of the game.

Yeah I remember strongly disliking it when I first played it on BGA before someone told me to use draft mode. It was considerably more fun but accessibility was definitely a concern of mine. Same thing with Hive, but to a lesser degree.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Board game day! We played Quacks of Quedlinberg, Everdell, and Twilight Inscription.

I've never played Twilight Imperium but inscritpion is entirely my jam. Great roll and write that's really deep and complicated.

Completely insane.

In more exciting news my first Kickstarter is shipping any day now. Heckin Hounds has officially arrived in the US and it is sitting in a warehouse in Chicago. I'm so loving excited. It's been such a long time coming. Yay for doggos!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I really don't think Res draft is too complicated for new players. The game is simple enough that once folks know the rules they can make informed decisions if they have any experience with engine builders/drafting games at all.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Azran posted:

It's a Wonderful World

I get a ton of plays out of this one cause it's quick to set up, plays quick, and is pretty satisfying

1upmuffin
Jan 9, 2023

Azran posted:

PARKS
It's a Wonderful World
Junk Art
Istanbul
Res Arcana
Hive Pocket

Of these I've only played Parks and a bit of Hive online. I'm a big fan of Parks, me and my GF like it a lot, I have the Nightfall expansion but haven't played yet. It's got great art and piece quality, game is smooth and has enough choices to be interesting but not overwhelming.

I think Hive is really interesting and I'd buy a copy if I had someone to play with, but it's too abstract and chess-like for my GF to have interest (not many other chances to play 1v1 games at the moment).

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Azran posted:

PARKS
It's a Wonderful World
Junk Art
Istanbul
Res Arcana
Hive Pocket

There are a lot of small bits in Istanbul (less so if you're only playing base game) that make the game maybe slightly frustrating to set up, but I am a passionate fan of this game, especially with either (or both) of the expansions. I have a bunch of thread favorites (Pax Pamir 2E, Spirit Island, Root), but between my spouse and I, Istanbul manages to get to the table the most.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Azran posted:

PARKS
It's a Wonderful World
Junk Art
Istanbul
Res Arcana
Hive Pocket

I've played Junk Art a bunch, it's fairly easy to alter how long the game is. Need to fill more time? Just run more rounds. Set up and takedown are pretty simple too. There are two different versions, wood and plastic, I have noticed warping on my wood set.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Azran posted:

PARKS
It's a Wonderful World
Junk Art
Istanbul
Res Arcana
Hive Pocket

I really enjoy base istanbul (have not played either of the expansions yet) and while the setup does have a lot of pieces I don't think it takes too long to set up in practice because multiple people can easily set it up at the same time as long as they know where things go.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
More of an RPG question, but what the hell. Has anyone played Alice is gone with non-gamers?

For context: My SO and I play boardgames but have never RPed, and the other couple I plan to play with have played EXIT games and some other light boardgames, but are new to RP as well.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Fat Samurai posted:

More of an RPG question, but what the hell. Has anyone played Alice is gone with non-gamers?

I have not played it, and the only reports from the field I have seen (from The Secret Cabal and Shut Up and Sit Down) have been very positive. However, the people saying those things are experienced RPG players as well as board gamers so they are not exactly what you're asking for. You might get better answers in the Trad Games Chat Thread since it will have a lot more RPGers than this thread will.

I was going to pontificate on it but honestly the post sucked and I am stupid. The short version of my thoughts is: do you think that when they draw a card that says something like "Your character feels X" that they will take that as seriously as any rule written in the rulebook? If so, I think you'll be okay.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
I played Heat: Pedal to the Metal, (second run I think just came into Zatu last week in the UK) and I really liked it. The people I play with aren't experts, neither am I, but they really liked it. I was responsible for teaching and while teaching I explained about Stress and how everyone should start with 3 in their deck, but of course, I was explaining and forgot to put it in mine (and someone else forgot to put it in theirs. I realised at the start of the second lap, where the person who had stress was about six spots behind us. She caught up immediately, but then dropped back into 5th (using Legends) and didn't seem that miffed. It's a fun, fast paced game. For me it works a lot better than Flamme Rouge, if only because players identify with their cars more than 2 separate cyclists. A Good Game. I came 4th, behind 2 legends and someone else, because I'm Bad At Games. But we all liked it. Thumbs up imo.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Played Medici at 6P. Everyone had a blast. Really, really fun. Rules were initially a bit confusing because everyone was overthinking things but by the end of round 1 we were cruising. Yet another top notch Knizia auction game. I could see this as a good traveller/warm-up game. Maybe pair it with Container if you're feeling masochistic because it might make the latter feel bloated and unwieldly by comparison...

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Medici might be my favorite not long game at 6. It's real good.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Magnetic North posted:

I have not played it, and the only reports from the field I have seen (from The Secret Cabal and Shut Up and Sit Down) have been very positive. However, the people saying those things are experienced RPG players as well as board gamers so they are not exactly what you're asking for. You might get better answers in the Trad Games Chat Thread since it will have a lot more RPGers than this thread will.

I was going to pontificate on it but honestly the post sucked and I am stupid. The short version of my thoughts is: do you think that when they draw a card that says something like "Your character feels X" that they will take that as seriously as any rule written in the rulebook? If so, I think you'll be okay.

Thanks. Yeah, that's my fear, too. What Quinn thinks it's a good introduction and what my group thinks is a good introduction is probably not the same.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
In general SUSD has much more appetite for role playing than my group does, but I am intrigued by Thousand Year Old Vampire because it’s a solo experience.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anonymous Robot posted:

In general SUSD has much more appetite for role playing than my group does, but I am intrigued by Thousand Year Old Vampire because it’s a solo experience.

It's more of a creative writing exercise than a game. There are some very loose mechanics but if the idea of a solo or coop rpg (no GM) sounds interesting check out Ironsworn. It's free to download. It's still a narrative generator style RPG but with a lot more mechanics going on to drive the story and your choices.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Bottom Liner posted:

It's more of a creative writing exercise than a game. There are some very loose mechanics but if the idea of a solo or coop rpg (no GM) sounds interesting check out Ironsworn. It's free to download. It's still a narrative generator style RPG but with a lot more mechanics going on to drive the story and your choices.
Yeah I've backed a few indie solo games like this and I ended up a bit disappointed in their gaming part - it's mostly just roleplaying, but since you do this on your own, it's even less of game compared to something like Alice is Missing. AIM is somewhat of a guided improv theater mystery - there is a guide to what happens next in the story, but the trip is definitely as important as the destination if not more.

The gaming aspect of AIM comes out in the way it's played - with a common tool everyone is familiar with. Because of that, it's easier to play the part for someone who would otherwise be put off by pretending to act like someone else.

Thousand year old Vampire and the likes are missing the interactivity part of the game, which tbh is 90% of what makes it a game. The idea is that, after multiple prompts, maybe after several days, you'll start to see yourself as the character you are writing about, but as someone who has spent many years thinking "what would this person do" as a GM, this feels hardly interesting.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 24, 2023

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Fat Samurai posted:

For context: My SO and I play boardgames but have never RPed, and the other couple I plan to play with have played EXIT games and some other light boardgames, but are new to RP as well.

I thought Alice is Missing had some clever and highly innovative ideas, but I was deeply disappointed to discover that it's 100% experience generator -- there's no mystery to actually solve. Any clues, etc are entirely window dressing. Probably my biggest gaming disappointment of last year.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I played Massive Darkness 2 with two other friends today, just the intro mission, and it was a blast. We got some rules wrong, but it was still fun. I played the Ranger, but the variety in all the different classes makes me want to try others as well. One of my friends played the Necromancer, which was a rules and logistics nightmare that added an hour or more to the playtime. The game definitely wears the Diablo inspiration on its sleeve, and we were swimming in loot and slicing through monsters by the end. I haven't played much Gloomhaven, but this is the type of game I wanted Gloomhaven to be. Not that Gloomhaven is bad, it's a great game, but I like the playstyle of doing what you want on your turn rather than having a planning phase where you plot out what you'd like to accomplish when your turn comes up.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Glad to hear that! I have a copy on the way since it looks up our alley, I might have moved on it earlier except I was a little dissuaded by the departure from a pure fantasy setting towards more of a hellspawn setting, but I'm curious about the refinements over the original.

When you mentioned "swimming in loot" I knew I made the right choice because that is so far up my gaming partner's alley :smaug:

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Anyone know where I can get a copy of the twilight imperium codex 3 printed in the UK? There are a few places on etsy, but they all seem to be massive expensive shipping from the states?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I got Earth yesterday and tried a solo learning game. Seems pretty cool, different enough from Ark Nova and Terraforming Mars it's probably going to be significantly shorter with other people than both, seems much more streamlined. Also I gotta admit the theming does a lot for me, there's not enough environmental/ecology games out there. Interaction is low, but it has simultaneous actions so no one should be sitting bored waiting.

On another note, I saw some copies of Hegemony available near me - has anyone tried this one? I'm interested in unusual simulationist games with interlocking systems, so I'd like to know if it's just another worker placement game with political theming, or if it's more interesting than that.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
I've played Hegemony a couple of times and I think it's fantastic, as did all the other players. It's so thematic and the table talk at our games was a lot of fun. I think you probably need other players who'll get into the spirit though.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Played Modern Art and Puerto Rico.

Modern Art is just a ton of fun. For me winning and losing is strongly sscondary to just getting laughs as the auctioneer, getting into the role and really selling is the most fun to be had. Five player game which was a lot tighter than my first play with three - not really for the player count but for the players. People grokked the math pretty quickly. There was also something that happened early that doesn't always which was players specifically calling out expected/potential values of paintings and bids. Leveled the playing field a lot. Probably too much as the game then felt a lot more random - cards in hand and turn order became a lot more determinating. In any case, I'll always be up for a game.

Puerto Rico was engaging and pretty fun. I do like Take That stuff and it has plenty. It reminds of like Powergrid and Age of Steam. In other words, games I'm bad at and don't really understand the strategy behind well enough to be particularly effective. Looked like the winner won by pushing out goods during Captain and piling up tokens more than anything else. Would play again because I enjoyed it, but with the expectation of yeah I'm not gonna do great haha.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
I tried Earth for the first time the other day and as a TM hater and RftG lover I gotta say I'm getting so tired of these "safe" designs. What's that? Growth can be placed anywhere on your tableau and sprouts can be placed anywhere on your tableau and they are totally fungible other than the last growth on a fauna maybe? Like, take a drat chance with your design and let force me to think about stuff, man. I feel like growth and spouts could have just been folded into one resource and that resource given more interesting placement and usage rules.

I find this "safe" design thing to be such an unfortunate trend and it probably has to do with the hobby getting more and more mainstream :arghfist: (yes I'm aware I sound like a total *****)

Serotoning fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 26, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, the trend in euros to let players do and have a lot of stuff while reducing the decision space and seeding what's left with a ton of RNG from giant decks is my least favorite thing about modern designs. They keep being rewarded with selling tons and shooting up the BGG ranks though, so it's not going anywhere.

It's the Kirby Superstar to Super Mario World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Bottom Liner posted:

It's the Kirby Superstar to Super Mario World.

This is the weirdest loving analogy and I respect it but also what