Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

train workers in sweden are doing a wildcat strike today. the strike is planned to last for 3 days.

quote:

Train drivers on the train commuter service in the Stockholm area have begun a wildcat strike, which could lead to severe delays on the service today.

The reason behind the action is concern over the decision to take away train attendants, leaving drivers working alone on the train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/melanie_vogel_/status/1647352302171308036
what the gently caress is going on in germany

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I don't really know but it looks like it's making Americans angry so it's probably good

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Peggotty posted:

I don't really know but it looks like it's making Americans angry so it's probably good

feel like I'm having a brain aneurism while reading this

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

train workers in sweden are doing a wildcat strike today. the strike is planned to last for 3 days.

awesome :sun:

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

one of the most successful western coups by fossil fuel corps to date, so they can replace nuclear power with lignite coal obtained by literally destroying a town

the fact that none of the greens/spd are as outspoken against atomic weapons as nuclear power really clinches it for me

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

get some

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Fossil Fuel CEOs:
https://i.imgur.com/ts3S1CT.mp4

Sex is good but have you tried having a fossil fuel CEO shove his hand up your country's political system's butt and control it like a puppet?

Sex is good but have you tried to have your country be dominated by the fossil fuel industry?

Sex is good but have you tried having your country's climate change plan totally screwed by the fossil fuel industry?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I'm not particularly fond of the German Greens (or any greens for that matter) for various reasons, but the way the nuclear exit is being framed as solely their doing is dumb as hell. Germany has changed hands between the CDU and the SPD since the Nazi days, with the Greens only getting in power briefly between 1998 and 2005, as well as in the current coalition. Not a single nuclear power plant has been commissioned since the mid-80s. Wonder why. Something happen back then?

So now you're stuck with a bunch of ancient nuclear power plants, close to reaching (or having surpassed) the end of their lifecycle. Most of them second generation plants too, maybe some early third generations here and there.

The situation here in Belgium is eerily similar - not a single plant built since the 80's, Greens only in government around 2000 and in the current coalition, yet blamed for the nuclear exit. And if their nuclear plants are anything like ours, they're janky old things, constantly getting shut down to do emergency repairs, cracks in the pressure vessel, and so on.

Nobody in Germany or Belgium tried to build anything since the eighties, nor have they invested in green energy alternatives. Not a single political party and not a single multinational that owns these existing plants either. Everyone banked on cheap Russian gas to keep flowing.

This isn't about nuclear vs anti-nuclear. Both sides - both nuclear and green power - didn't get the investments they needed since the 80s. We could've bet on either horse and we would've won, but we bet on neither and instead gave the money to multinationals and our upper classes. This is about capitalism, about the neoliberal hollowing out of the state and of state power, of the chaos and the short-termism of the market. It's poo poo and I hate it.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Insufficient radiation poisoning.

Oh wait no, too much radiation poisoning.

Also very hard agree with R Mute and any regular person who is anti nuclear plants is a goddamn gullible moron.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 19:14 on Apr 17, 2023

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah, i get it. i just found the unhinged tweet funny

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

Also very hard agree with R Mute and any regular person who is anti nuclear plants is a goddamn gullible moron.
Here's the thing: it's too late. Construction of a nuclear power plant takes between 5-10 years. That's from the first brick laid until it starts operating. Getting to that point - by which I mean getting a political consensus to build more nuclear power plants, finding a location, clearing any inevitable challenges to said location (from locals, environmental groups, neighbouring countries), figuring out who's going to pay for it, who's going to operate it and negotiating the terms, figuring out who's going to build it etc - is going to take at least as many years. I cannot fathom getting a nuclear power plant built in Belgium before 2040, by which time it will be too late to matter in terms of climate change. We're not China, unfortunately.

So, purely from a practical standpoint, I'm more inclined to bet on a massive non-nuclear renewable energy program. Just pave the country with solar panels and erect windmills everywhere you can. You'll also get challenges to a lot of these initiatives from middle class cunts who think windmills spoil the view, but they can't stop 'em all. If 10% of all projects get halted in this way, you're still up 90% - it's less all or nothing than nuclear. And the funding-threshold for the individual projects is a lot lower, even if the total cost will probably end up even higher.

Ideally, we'd bet on both. But if I have to make a choice based on what I think's more realistic (and with the goal of building as much green energy as fast as possible), I'm betting on non-nuclear green energy.

That said, here's what's going to happen: nothing. There won't be any new nuclear plants because of all the points I mentioned above. The promise of nuclear power is more interesting than the actuality of nuclear power to the pro-nuclear parties. They'll keep talking about it, keep the ancient plants open until an inevitable disaster happens in one of the most densely populated parts of Europe (be it nuclear disaster or forced blackouts while the plants undergo emergency repairs), come up with a bunch of temporary solutions like opening up new gas powered plants (as they're doing right now) and occasionally chuck some pennies towards research into next-gen nuclear tech - but no new plants will be built. The state is incapable of doing it, the private sector has no incentive. As for non-nuclear green energy, the same applies. The promise of new nuclear tech will be used to stymie any investment in non-nuclear green energy. The government won't take any initiative except hurling more subsidies to the private sector in the hopes of getting them to pivot to non-nuclear green energy - which they won't. The whole debate will be narrowed down to nuclear vs non-nuclear, but ultimately only fossil fuels will benefit.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
they should turn the Atomium into an actual reactor

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I agree with all that as well R. Mute, I just want to share with you all that all of the regular people I've talked with about nuclear power in the last 20 years ago and 15 years ago and 10 years ago and who were against it were dumb as gently caress.

However, what I disagree on is that if we were living in a fantasy world where right-thinking people (read: communists) were in charge, we'd build only non-nuclear renewables. I think if we were serious about trying to avert climate catastrophe we'd a) bet on all the horses and b) be able to build nuclear a hell of a lot faster than the bullshit procedural permit market based idiocy we have now and c) we'd still need baseload capacity to deal with fluctuations in renewable availability, for which nuclear is obviously vastly preferable to fossil and more achievable than battery or other storage type solutions.

Hard agree that exactly nothing of any of this is going to happen though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
imo the saddest part is that by the 1980s, which all the recently shut down reactors were all built in, nuclear tech was already in a very good shape, and germany let what was probably good plants go cold over lovely politics

my tiny joke country operates a 730MWe westinghouse reactor from 1983 that was initially supposed to be EOL'd in 2023, but after it's been thoroughly inspected during maintenance windows over the last 2 decades, it's become clear that the reactor vessel is basically still as good as new, so it'll keep running until 2043 with a possible extension until 2063, running a full 80 years if the conditions keep at current pace for the next 20 years

also, replacement of the heat exchanger 20 years ago and general advances in turbine control tech has resulted in the reactor being uprated from 670MW at the same 2GW thermal output, and all the hardware replacements were already planned and budgeted for at project start so the increase in efficiency basically came as a bonus simply because poo poo got better over that time

just don't ask austrians about it, they've been convinced it's going to blow up like a nuclear bomb and lay deadly fallout all across their country any moment now for the last 30 years lmfao

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the wind farm thing is an interesting issue - at least up here the most attractive places to build wind power are typically relatively unspoiled wilderness areas, which are unusually dense in various wildlife - in particular, lots and lots of insects live in these areas because of the lack of light pollution

so the most profitable locations for wind farms are also places that we can ill afford to exploit for biodiversity reasons. the way the investments are structured are to ensure maximal profits (because that is what drives investment) and so not a lot of the value generated stays in the places they're built - especially true now that norway is so tightly connected to the european grid.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

bedpan posted:

feel like I'm having a brain aneurism while reading this

I wonder what country you're from! (j/k I do not in fact wonder)

To be fair I do agree that it's dumb that Germany shuts down their nuclear power plants while still massively relying on coal, it's just that it's utterly irrelevant because they had barely any nuclear power to begin with and it's hilarious that that's what aggrevates Americans online rather than the billion other ways the West is destroying the planet.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Peggotty posted:

it's hilarious that that's what aggrevates Americans online rather than the billion other ways the West is destroying the planet.

I've seen far, far more discussion of that tweet among Germans than Americans op

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Peggotty posted:

I wonder what country you're from! (j/k I do not in fact wonder)

To be fair I do agree that it's dumb that Germany shuts down their nuclear power plants while still massively relying on coal, it's just that it's utterly irrelevant because they had barely any nuclear power to begin with and it's hilarious that that's what aggrevates Americans online rather than the billion other ways the West is destroying the planet.

if they did have barely any nuclear there are 2 paths they could take - shutting them down to rely on coal and fairy dust or whatever they're planning to replace them with, or expanding nuclear and thereby having more than "barely any"
also it's a victory for their dumbfuck greens which raises their profile and possibly helps in spreading their specific brand of stupidity elsewhere
so yes, it's relevant

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Doktor Avalanche posted:

if they did have barely any nuclear there are 2 paths they could take - shutting them down to rely on coal and fairy dust or whatever they're planning to replace them with, or expanding nuclear and thereby having more than "barely any"
also it's a victory for their dumbfuck greens which raises their profile and possibly helps in spreading their specific brand of stupidity elsewhere
so yes, it's relevant

yeah the Green Party here has been gaining traction and wants to shut down the largest NPPs in North America to replace them with vibes. they’re the only reason energy bills haven’t skyrocketed like they have everywhere else and why Ontario manufacturing hasn’t eaten poo poo.

Green Party types tend to think that we can just end mining and resource extraction and anything that isn’t solar and wind and no don’t ask where all the lithium and rare earths you’d need to do that will come from, you’re being so annoying, engineers are conservative anyway

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
on the one hand being anti-nuclear is really dumb, but on the other hand if western countries destroy their own energy production capabilities and regress into a bunch of perennial basketcase economies unable to project influence it would be an objectively good thing for the majority of the world, so its impossible to say if the greens are good or bad

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

the 3 day wildcat strike by train workers in Sweden achieved some results. the union safety representative stepped in and issued a halt to solitary work on trains.

quote:

Union security representatives stop solitary work on Stockholm's commuter train

Two days after the wild strike ended, the trade union ST announces that their safety representative will now stop solo work in the commuter train traffic in Stockholm.

Train drivers have been working alone on board the commuter trains in Stockholm more and more often since the employer MTR and Region Stockholm started to remove the train attendants. This has led to major safety concerns and to train drivers going on wild strike earlier this week.

When those who went on strike, without union involvement, have now returned to work, the trade union ST announces that their safety representative is putting a protective stop to solo work in commuter train traffic. It applies from 9.00 on Monday morning.

According to ST's press release, this means that MTR cannot run the trains if they are staffed only by train drivers. If the employer wants to lift the stop, it is up to the Work Environment Agency to decide whether it should still remain or not.

Swedish article: https://arbetet.se/2023/04/21/skyddsombud-stoppar-ensamarbete-pa-stockholms-pendeltag/

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

R. Mute posted:

I'm not particularly fond of the German Greens (or any greens for that matter) for various reasons, but the way the nuclear exit is being framed as solely their doing is dumb as hell. Germany has changed hands between the CDU and the SPD since the Nazi days, with the Greens only getting in power briefly between 1998 and 2005, as well as in the current coalition. Not a single nuclear power plant has been commissioned since the mid-80s. Wonder why. Something happen back then?

Fittingly, the chancellor of that 98-05 coalition government (Schroeder) immediately started bouncing around the boards of Nord Stream/Rosneft/Gazprom when he left office

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Stadt Salzburg flirting with a lil' electoral communism

https://twitter.com/wahlen_at/status/1650168581160566787

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

webcams for christ posted:

:toot:

xiaoren
Dec 9, 2021

Entering Imminent Threat of Parliament Poisoning territory

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

webcams for christ posted:

lol @ replies

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

nice, a greenlandic member of the danish parliament is refusing to speak danish, only kalaallisut

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Carthag Tuek posted:

nice, a greenlandic member of the danish parliament is refusing to speak danish, only kalaallisut

:blessed:

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Carthag Tuek posted:

One hopes members of the Norwegian parliament will follow suit!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Grevling posted:

One hopes members of the Norwegian parliament will follow suit!

:doit:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

det er kropumuligt at finde en afskrift i danske medier

den her artikel er vist ok? i hvert fald den eneste jeg overhovedet kunne finde med noget der ligner citat. ritzaus osv siger bare "[speaking a foreign language]" som om det var netflix

https://sermitsiaq.ag/aki-matilda-hoeegh-damburde-tale-groenlandsk-i-folketinget

gid bare jeg havde i det mindste to versioner af selve talen. tvivler ikk på grønland men vil høre det

Carthag Tuek has issued a correction as of 14:58 on May 13, 2023

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Nipaassuseq qimmeq.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/5/22/greek-conservativesclear-an-open-road-to-political-supremacy

quote:

“If the electoral system were in force yesterday that will apply in the next election, New Democracy would have a strong majority of more than 170 seats, so I feel it is my duty to help us move beyond the obstacle, as it turns out to be, of proportional representation,” Mitsotakis said.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

The quote sounds more scary than it is. It used to be that the largest party got a bonus allotment of seats, so that Greece wouldn't have a problem with multiple elections and weak nonsense coalitions and all. SYRIZA switched it to purely porportional when they were in power, but that didnt affect the next election, which was in 2019 and used the old system. The idea was to allow for left wing coalitions since they're more fractured than the right.

When ND won in 2019 they switched back to a bonus system (slightly different from the old one) but again, it didn't take effect for the elections now in 2023. So Mitsotakis will call snap elections again to use the new system that ND put in place and likely gain a decent majority.

Anyway SYRIZA crashed but KKE and PASOK both did a lot better, though it won't do any good.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

lol PASOK is a garbage neo-liberal party and syriza was the one that bent the knee to the IMF troika no wonder they got obliterated

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The KKE doubled their seats to about 30. 👍

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The KKE doubled their seats to about 30. 👍

the only good news

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

bom news 👍

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

German journalists are something else: it's amazing they don't feel the need to lie and fabricate a reason why the interview couldn't be printed

https://twitter.com/bartalyossi/status/1661652407137316864

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Is the journal by any chance part of the Anti-Deutsche movement? Because that would explain a lot.