Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'm having a really difficult time hearing anything other than Hazel saying that bullies deserve to be bullied around here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba1hdS_lN5I&t=2036s

To which my only response is: gently caress that entire notion and anyone who espouses it.
I feel as though you are misunderstanding a discussion of narrative roles with a moral judgment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Also, since when has Youtube started rolling out a 1080p "Premium" option for enhanced bitrate? Seriously?

I think that's a per uploader's recording thing. I just picked a random popular video from the gaming explore page and it goes up to 2160p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh58rDICpeI

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

For all of Moly's faults, Dungeon Keeper was really good.

It's a great game indeed.

Probably also worth noting that Bullfrog had a ton of projects that didn't make it, Creation being the main one - that was going on for years and even relates a bit to Milo. It's quite a democratic studio though, very open to young talent (Bullfrog even ran a comp to recruit a young designer that resulted in them hiring Mike Diskett and Demis Hassabis)

I'd say if Moly has a positive legacy beyond his games, it is the talent that he nurtured at both Bullfrog and Lionhead. There's quite a lot that's still very much in the industry.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Terrible Opinions posted:

I feel as though you are misunderstanding a discussion of narrative roles with a moral judgment.

Many such cases

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

It is but I think a) it was warranted by the poo poo he was pulling and b) knocked him for a loop and meant he didn't get to spew the normal nonsense he was allowed to get away with when promoting his stuff. Molyneaux did some loving great work up to... What, Black and White? That was really when the wheels started coming off and the overpromising shifted more and more into outright bullshit.

yeah I get the reasoning but I feel a more tactful but forceful interview could have gotten a few more interesting insights. Molyneux just went on the defensive immediately and just started bullshitting the other direction.

novel interview in the age of access journalism though!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFosr9VWJUc

Thew's new video has a loving narrative twist seven and a half minutes in.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Imo the real problem with the proZD video is he's trying to explain the basic rules of Magic, which aren't very funny.

If they let him cover banding he'll really start cooking.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Because of that erroneous shipment of computers we'll never know what Molyneux would have done to revolutionise the world of baked beans

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Botulism.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Schwarzwald posted:

The Weijiang Nemesis Prime toy in my room is starting to sweat nervously.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
The latest Terrible Writing Advice is about a topic that has no relevance to this thread :ninja:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVxaB7Wtd2E

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Schwarzwald posted:

yeah, Wei Jiang was in the market of taking an existing Voyager-class(the "larger, but not huge" Transformers, your 20 dollar one to the 12 dollar deluxes back in 2010) transformer and upscaling it while retaining quality control, dramatically increasing details, including die-cast parts, and selling it for a completely reasonable price. basically taking a quality regular priced toy and turning it into a masterpiece-class figure. like, check the video for the Rendsora example, they've also made a few others upscales that I picked up, including Evasion Mode Optimus, which theirs has die-cast parts, extra weapons and a shield, some really nice paint apps and chroming, etc:

MPP-10, which is Masterpiece Optimus Prime(MP10) but bigger. no quality loss, he's just...bigger. it's great

and the OSKO Toyworld Throttlebot Combiner, which is a PHENOMENAL toy, but...bigger! they took a third-party set of figures, and knocked those off, so it's a knockoff of a knockoff kinda. Very good quality, I picked up two full sets of them plus the combiner parts for about $200 total. most third party combiners like this cost $300+ for a single set.

I feel like wei jiang flew too close to the sun by making better in every way versions of stuff and getting so popular. most KO companies don't get taken out the way they did. that said, I think someone else immediately picked up the mantle and continued making the MPP-10's and such, since you can still get those, but the Throttlebot Combiner is now hundreds of dollars, the combiner parts alone are over a hundo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mr.Radar posted:

The latest Terrible Writing Advice is about a topic that has no relevance to this thread :ninja:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVxaB7Wtd2E

Wow I didn't realize he was still doing these.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hbomberguy put up a new video just for Patreon about Myst

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

It's 90 minutes long and he has no plans to release it to the public in the near future FYI so if you wanna watch it you gotta pay the $2

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
there's a guy who bought a bunch of collector boxes of Magic the Gathering: March of the Machine, and I guess he got sent March of the Machine: Aftermath collector boxes instead, which is the set that is coming out after March of the Machine. he does MTG unboxing youtube videos, so he did just that and spoiled the entire set before WOTC had announced more than like one card.

WOTC's response, apparently, was to send the loving Pinkertons after him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD9HRueI6Js&hd=1

they showed up and threatened him with a $200,000 fine and 10 years of jail time, which I'm pretty sure is total bullshit since they're not law enforcement or anything, just "investigators"(thugs, union busters, utter scum).

pinkertons deserve concrete shoes and nothing more

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

I'm having a really difficult time hearing anything other than Hazel saying that bullies deserve to be bullied around here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba1hdS_lN5I&t=2036s

To which my only response is: gently caress that entire notion and anyone who espouses it.

I have no idea how you even reached that conclusion.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah I watched the entire video and struggle to find how one would get such a message from Hazel. Could you elaborate?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

hbomberguy put up a new video just for Patreon about Myst

He hinted about it since he was looking for a way to find where a texture ingame was from on twitter a while back. Good to see that come to fruition.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

That guy is entirely too chill for somebody who had private thugs show up to his door and try to play repo men and scaring his poor wife.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Scholtz posted:

It's 90 minutes long and he has no plans to release it to the public in the near future FYI so if you wanna watch it you gotta pay the $2
I assume it's not uploaded to Patreon, so is he using Nebula or some other platform?

I ask, because at least with Nebula, they have an API that makes it possible to watch the content using a homethreatre PC connected to a TV - so if I had the money, I might be able to use that.
Alphabet are continually breaking YouTubes API or throttling the CDN (if HTTP_REFERER doesn't match?), in order to force people to use a browser.

Solitair posted:

I have no idea how you even reached that conclusion.

Annointed posted:

Yeah I watched the entire video and struggle to find how one would get such a message from Hazel. Could you elaborate?
I'm gonna have to watch at least that section again, because chemobrain means I can't really remember it too well already.
If I figure out what I was on about, I'll post it.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Captain Invictus posted:

there's a guy who bought a bunch of collector boxes of Magic the Gathering: March of the Machine, and I guess he got sent March of the Machine: Aftermath collector boxes instead, which is the set that is coming out after March of the Machine. he does MTG unboxing youtube videos, so he did just that and spoiled the entire set before WOTC had announced more than like one card.

they showed up and threatened him with a $200,000 fine and 10 years of jail time, which I'm pretty sure is total bullshit since they're not law enforcement or anything, just "investigators"(thugs, union busters, utter scum).

looks like you made someone pretty mad lol

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I assume it's not uploaded to Patreon, so is he using Nebula or some other platform?

Unlisted YouTube video.

I just watched it, it was really really good!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

haha what posted:

There's like one guy in the Magic thread who keeps buying red texts for people he doesn't like. I don't know why he'd decide it's a great idea to defend the Pinkertons of all things or call them "cops" though lol.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Slight observation on it: Back when he was asking twitter about where to find the imagery software used for the game, I remember doing a mild search around and only finding the Mac version of it on a website for really old Mac software.

Sure enough, later on during the Cookie Bustle copyright troll episode, that was the only place for a few days where you could get the game before way more people started reuploading the music and software everywhere on drives and the like.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

haha what posted:

does that person not know who the pinkertons are, or are they a pinkerton :tinfoil:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The 7th Guest posted:

does that person not know who the pinkertons are, or are they a pinkerton :tinfoil:

Probably just doesn't know which is what the Pinkertons count on.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Hazel talking about a bullying victim provoking something within the bully, but it was all in the context of fictional character dynamics, who the audience relates to, and why.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Captain Invictus posted:

I thought you were just using “Pinkertons” as a synonym for any security agency but it was literally them, what the hell. Is this seriously what they do nowadays?

Also lol at your new red text

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

RatHat posted:

I thought you were just using “Pinkertons” as a synonym for any security agency but it was literally them, what the hell. Is this seriously what they do nowadays?

Also lol at your new red text

I believe some security company bought the name as kind of a "fun" novelty thing a while back, but now they're back to specializing in union busting and stuff like this.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

No this is America, we only shoot teenagers and little kids that come up to our doors, not Pinkertons.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

:kstare:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
rockstar also hired private investigators to stalk a modder

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

nintendo did it as well

https://twitter.com/forestillusion/status/1341230631913541633

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

https://twitter.com/smealum/status/1642420595945246720

I ain't gonna say the first person that posts an entire walk-through of an early/leaked/review/whatever the circumstances copy of Tears of the Kingdom before release date is doing a bad thing; but at this point I think it would be a...dumb thing.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I believe some security company bought the name as kind of a "fun" novelty thing a while back, but now they're back to specializing in union busting and stuff like this.
They were bought by Securitas which has always been in the hired thugs business.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Didnt gearbox send some hired goons to beat up someone for giving Borderlands 3 a bad review or something? Heard about it from an old housemate a few years ago, was wondering if that turned out to be true.

In regards to molyneauxs baken beans saga, it is a very entertaining story and everyone owes it to themselves to go listen to his GDC talk about his career he's quite the entertainer.
But I'm curious is there's any corroborating evidence for it. I could totally believe given molyneauxs relationship with the truth, that it isn't half as true as he says it is.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Scholtz posted:

Unlisted YouTube video.

I just watched it, it was really really good!
Ah, okay - so it's no done via private videos with passwords?
Unlisted videos work via Kodi and its add-on.

I've been wanting to try and fit Nebula into my budget for a while, because I do like the notion that Alphabet has a competitor to video delivery.

Dr Christmas posted:

Hazel talking about a bullying victim provoking something within the bully, but it was all in the context of fictional character dynamics, who the audience relates to, and why.
Yeah, that's a good point - it's entirely believable that I didn't catch the context of it properly.
Like I said previously, I'll give that section another watch.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Securitas, the three red balls company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like that the pinkerton wikipedia article is like 'they hired women tho'