Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Never got the TNO meme. It turns the entire game into a VN where you occasionally play another minigame. Kaiserreich for all it's memetic politics actually does cool stuff. The USA thunderbowl actually lets you do cool stuff like mechanized midwestern cavalry and the LKMT earlygame is probably as close as HOI4 comes to showing what mao did in real life funnily enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is adorable

I mean it's digital advanced squad leader isn't it? And CC is just that in real time

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Tankbuster posted:

Never got the TNO meme. It turns the entire game into a VN where you occasionally play another minigame. Kaiserreich for all it's memetic politics actually does cool stuff. The USA thunderbowl actually lets you do cool stuff like mechanized midwestern cavalry and the LKMT earlygame is probably as close as HOI4 comes to showing what mao did in real life funnily enough.

reunifying the soviet union in tno is fun, you start out fighting over litteral scrap and things escalate nicely
last time i played was some time before the big economics update, have they added the second west russian war yet?

in general im not a fan of the minigames in hoi4 mods, they are often poorly designed (unless you were picking the obviously bad option in the english election minigame in tno you would get baath party numbers in the second election) or just tedious
event chains give a much tighter narative and also have the bonus that you can check the files to find out how to get a specific outcome if you want one (and edit percentage chance if there is a random element, i did that to make germany choose the option that allowed me to do hybrid system denmark i kaiserreich)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

You say that but the Siberian Black Army has three different narratives going based on focuses and they're all out of order and completely incoherent.

A generous reading would be that it's a commentary on anarchism and not a god awful failure of trying to create a narrative based on which focuses you pick.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

I mean it's digital advanced squad leader isn't it? And CC is just that in real time

Yes, I'm just razzing you but CC was originally intended to be real-time ASL, so saying Second Front is like turn-based CC was funny, to me

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I like TNO a lot, I mostly do russia runs and its fun finding new psychos to play as

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCGp5iw1CjU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

that feeling when you first realised 'democracy' meant deregulated

"NATO has OPENED YOUR MARKETS TO PRIVATE INVESTMENT, no need to thank us"

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Reminds me of labyrinth, the board game where military intervention is cool and good, and the scenario where Gore wins is much harder

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I'm not sure if someone who just uses a giant label like "central asia" knows anything about the countries or the people living there.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I searched for it and was prepared for yet another gem from Compass Games, makers of such gems such as Lebensraum and Triumph of the Will but no, it’s a GMT game, wtf

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

TNO can be pretty fun but you really need to be right headspace for it, as usual HoI4 gameplay concentrates on all other things than what the mod brings forward. Some countries would also require some UI qol in that you can very easily forget to do something important in the minigame and it'll gently caress you hard. More notifications and such would be nice.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The Chad Jihad posted:

I like TNO a lot, I mostly do russia runs and its fun finding new psychos to play as

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCGp5iw1CjU

ok, I'm interested.

Is it good?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

More from GMT

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Megamissen posted:

reunifying the soviet union in tno is fun, you start out fighting over litteral scrap and things escalate nicely
last time i played was some time before the big economics update, have they added the second west russian war yet?

in general im not a fan of the minigames in hoi4 mods, they are often poorly designed (unless you were picking the obviously bad option in the english election minigame in tno you would get baath party numbers in the second election) or just tedious
event chains give a much tighter narative and also have the bonus that you can check the files to find out how to get a specific outcome if you want one (and edit percentage chance if there is a random element, i did that to make germany choose the option that allowed me to do hybrid system denmark i kaiserreich)

yeah, the high point of TNO seems to be the post soviet thunderdome. But KR does the america thunderdome better and at least lets me plan battles and do a nega-mao.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The 2nd US civil war needs some rework honestly. It's pretty much designed to last about 2 years. If you're not done by 1938 then things just kind of break and stall out because the focus trees aren't designed for it.

Then the reconstruction ends up being super boring where you're just sitting around waiting for stuff to happen.

The most interesting US path right now in Kaiserreich right now might be New England.

Where you use your super soldiers to win every single civil war except your own, and eventually maybe you get to take all of US. And even then it involves a lot of sitting around and doing nothing.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tekopo posted:

Reminds me of labyrinth, the board game where military intervention is cool and good, and the scenario where Gore wins is much harder

To be fair that might just be because the game is extremely poorly balanced

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

To be fair that might just be because the game is extremely poorly balanced

I never bought Labyrinth because I heard it wasn't a good game

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

KomradeX posted:

I never bought Labyrinth because I heard it wasn't a good game

There's like one or two cool ideas in there (I'm interested in how playing two cards a player turn changes the flow of a CDG) but on top of being ideologically suspect it's just a huge mess

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

a GWOT game where the US and Al Qaeda players compete to do 9/11 before the other one does

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I really wanna see a Pax game about the Years of Lead

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

The art on Order and Oppertunity is hilarious.

Its amazing how some people just were never to update their understanding of Russia

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KomradeX posted:

Its amazing how some people just were never to update their understanding of Russia

I kind of like GMT trying to come to terms with history restarting. The sequel to Labyrinth also looks Political.

Gosh! Where did ISIS come from?!

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

I kind of like GMT trying to come to terms with history restarting. The sequel to Labyrinth also looks Political.

Gosh! Where did ISIS come from?!

Regardless of the ideological leaning they do make great games that I continually buy and thankfully theyve been leaning hard knto games that can be done single player. Though their ideological blinders makes it funny. I can't way to see in The British Way how they get around presenting the British commiting mass Genocide to deal with their late imperial insurgencies.

Though does anyone have any experience with the Next War series? How much of it seems set up for a US win?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

a GWOT game where the US and Al Qaeda players compete to do 9/11 before the other one does

Shouldn't that be a team effort game then? Where both players high five each other after they do the 9/11.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

KomradeX posted:

Regardless of the ideological leaning they do make great games that I continually buy and thankfully theyve been leaning hard knto games that can be done single player. Though their ideological blinders makes it funny. I can't way to see in The British Way how they get around presenting the British commiting mass Genocide to deal with their late imperial insurgencies.

Though does anyone have any experience with the Next War series? How much of it seems set up for a US win?

I think British Way is kinda explicitly designed around "yeah they did hearts and minds but really they mostly did a bunch of ethnic cleansing." At least that's the impression I got from some designer comments (some of which in response to a guy melting down on BGG for the game being too anti-British lol)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KomradeX posted:

Oh no for sure. Conversely the upcoming Cross Bronx Expressway game is about how Robert Moses was a monster. They are still great and the politics of individual designers can surprise you.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Need a computer port for imperial struggle

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

I think British Way is kinda explicitly designed around "yeah they did hearts and minds but really they mostly did a bunch of ethnic cleansing." At least that's the impression I got from some designer comments (some of which in response to a guy melting down on BGG for the game being too anti-British lol)

Thats good to hear, I guess we'll find out in a few weeks once that starts shipping out in a few weeks. Though I do wonder how they'll be handling those Latin American insurgencies, since El Salvador was out and out genocide. Though I know nothing about Uruguay and the only thing I know about Peru is the Shining Path were supposed to be insane.

Frosted Flake posted:

Oh no for sure. Conversely the upcoming Cross Bronx Expressway game is about how Robert Moses was a monster. They are still great and the politics of individual designers can surprise you.

I can't wait for the Cross Bronx Expressway. Not enough things highlight just how much of a monster Robert Moses was

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Wait there's gonna be a game for the cross bronx??

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Minenfeld! posted:

Wait there's gonna be a game for the cross bronx??

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-953-cross-bronx-expressway.aspx

I do find it funny how the 1977 Blackout looms large in the page for this game since a lotnof people have said that the blackout and resulting looting is responsible for the birth of rap music in the Bronx

KomradeX has issued a correction as of 05:34 on Apr 23, 2023

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

KomradeX posted:

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-953-cross-bronx-expressway.aspx

I do find it funny how the 1977 Blackout looms large in the page for this game since a lotnof people have said that the blackout and resulting looting is responsible for the birth of rap music in the Bronx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-pXyOp44Po

you know maybe I should consider leaving the Bronx

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-pXyOp44Po

you know maybe I should consider leaving the Bronx

Well now ai think I'm going to watch Escape 2000 tonight

I wonder why 1989 doesn't get talked about as much as Twlight Struggle, though that one wears its ideological underpinnings even more on its sleeves than Twlight Struggle does

KomradeX has issued a correction as of 08:01 on Apr 23, 2023

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

KomradeX posted:

Thats good to hear, I guess we'll find out in a few weeks once that starts shipping out in a few weeks. Though I do wonder how they'll be handling those Latin American insurgencies, since El Salvador was out and out genocide. Though I know nothing about Uruguay and the only thing I know about Peru is the Shining Path were supposed to be insane.

I can't wait for the Cross Bronx Expressway. Not enough things highlight just how much of a monster Robert Moses was

Yeah details are still scarce but it seems like one of the sub mechanics of El Salvador will be the rebels trying to bring attention to government atrocities. Also if you know nothing about Uraguay, watch State of Siege: it's a fantastic movie loosely based on real events where Uraguayan guerillas kidnapped an American aid worker on suspicion of being a spy for the secret police

(Also 1989 just isn't as good as Twilight Struggle: there's a few good ideas in there but the events are both more powerful but harder to trigger and the scoring minigame is kinda bleh)

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah details are still scarce but it seems like one of the sub mechanics of El Salvador will be the rebels trying to bring attention to government atrocities. Also if you know nothing about Uraguay, watch State of Siege: it's a fantastic movie loosely based on real events where Uraguayan guerillas kidnapped an American aid worker on suspicion of being a spy for the secret police

(Also 1989 just isn't as good as Twilight Struggle: there's a few good ideas in there but the events are both more powerful but harder to trigger and the scoring minigame is kinda bleh)

Oh I'll have to look that movie up.

Yeah 1989 isn't as good. The scoring minigame is just kind of a complication from the stright forward scoring of TS. Though I guess its a way to try and avoid when a scoring card comes up and noone scores anything. I'm intrested in seeing how 1848 turns out since the desinger said we was inspired by 1989

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I finally got ahold of the Harpoon 2 strategy guide, whats interesting is that it barely talks about the missions at all (really only when using the mission to illustrate larger points) but it just goes over things like "Strike Warfare" "Ingress/Egress" "Anti-Surface Warfare" "The Modern Diesel Boat" "Power Projection" and good lord the bibliography:

quote:

CNN War in the Gulf- From the Invasion of Kuwait to the Day of Victory and Beyond.
Rockets and Missiles of World War III
War & Politics (Bernard Brodie 1973)
American and Soviet Military Trends Since the Cuban Missile Crisis
Imbalance of Power (John M Collins 1978)
The Ops Officer's Manual
Makers of Modern Strategy (Edward Meade Earle)
National Defense (James Fallows)
Desert Victory- The War for Kuwait
Problems of Sea Power as we Approach the Twenty First Century
Warships of the World-An Illustrated Encyclopedia
The Battle for the Falklands
Soviet Naval Strategy
Fleet tactics: Theory and Practics
Nuclear Weapons and Foreign Policy
Naval Operations Analysis
Desert Storm-Sea War
Operation Corporate- The Story of the Falklands War 1982
US Defense Policy: Weapons, Strategy and Commitments
Naval Institute Guide to the Soviet Navy
The Naval Institute Guide to Combat Fleets of the World, 1990-1991, Their Ships, Aircraft and Armament
Soviet Military Power: Prospects for Change
The United States Navy in Desert Shield/Desert Storm
Maritime Strategy and the Nuclear Age
The Voroshilov Lectures

Lostconfused posted:

ok, I'm interested.

Is it good?

Hm. So by the standards of This Thread posters probably no. You still play light mini-games in between waiting for focuses to fire for the next micro-fiction drop. That said, the russian warlords all have the larger goal of uniting russia, so you're always building up your military and will have periodic paroxysms of HOI4 violence, increasing in size and technology, as the game progresses. And there's variation on how the other warlord states turn out so its never set in stone how things go. I personally find the TNO setting really gripping and doing the right sequence of events to get to play as historical figures with insane esoteric ideologies is also fun for me. Like to get Werbell's Republic of West Alaska (it's west of Alaska you see) you need to play as a state that reaches out to America for assistance from Werbell's mercenaries and then arrange events so that he attempts a coup and then pick his side.

But yeah if you're not a fan then its like, play a mediocre wargame to read mediocre text about how some obscure Xinjiang middle-manager is leading a nation based on 'Stratocratic Eco-Juche Irredentism'

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it seems like these HOI4 mods would be better served being text-based interactive fiction, or something closer to Suzerain or Warsim: Realms of Aslona

The Chad Jihad posted:

The Voroshilov Lectures

oh hell yeah

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Chad Jihad posted:

'Stratocratic Eco-Juche Irredentism'

finally some representation for cspam thought

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

it seems like these HOI4 mods would be better served being text-based interactive fiction, or something closer to Suzerain or Warsim: Realms of Aslona

probably but when you're making a video game instead of a mod you have to make the whole drat game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

KomradeX posted:

More from GMT

Cuba Libre is a great game but it is very funny that they make the Directorio, a literal, honest-to-god CIA front that for all practical purposes didn't even actually exist after 1957, a fully-playable faction

I get why they did it and it makes total sense from a game design perspective, but it's still amusing how much they had to reach in order to find anything that would work as a fourth player

KomradeX posted:

it looks like Putin is strangling Stalin in that picture