Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Mister Olympus posted:

not just that. if you arrange their names next to the names of their opposites in octopath order, it spells octopath backwards - remember the whole initial plan of the cult was to sacrifice people representing the gods in reverse order?

Funny thing is that it actually doesn't match up the octopath order; if you do it that way then Harvey would be 'last', but Ochette is actually first in the Octopath order according to the journal, rather than Osvald.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Switching to Japanese voices because Partitio’s accent is not something I can put up with for the whole game.

I’ve got 7 of 8 party members and I’m having a lot of fun just running around meeting them, even if “Oh cool you’re on an adventure too? Let’s hang out!” Is falling kind of flat for me. I hope I can add second jobs because I always loved having a dancer mage in the first game.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Chasiubao posted:

Switching to Japanese voices because Partitio’s accent is not something I can put up with for the whole game.

I’ve got 7 of 8 party members and I’m having a lot of fun just running around meeting them, even if “Oh cool you’re on an adventure too? Let’s hang out!” Is falling kind of flat for me. I hope I can add second jobs because I always loved having a dancer mage in the first game.

The good news is that JP Ochette is just as great, and imo JP Tenemos is better.

Hopefully they continue to improve on the formula and we get some kind of unique dialogue on recruitment at the very least. I know the freeform exploration and recruitment means writing a lot of dialog could be 'wasted' effort since people won't see it, but there should be something for when you get an out-of-their-depth dancer / actual assassin / traveling jerky enthusiast joining the team

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

GloomMouse posted:

The good news is that JP Ochette is just as great, and imo JP Tenemos is better.

Hopefully they continue to improve on the formula and we get some kind of unique dialogue on recruitment at the very least. I know the freeform exploration and recruitment means writing a lot of dialog could be 'wasted' effort since people won't see it, but there should be something for when you get an out-of-their-depth dancer / actual assassin / traveling jerky enthusiast joining the team

Partitio actually gets unique dialogue depending on your lead when he asks to join. Just him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GloomMouse posted:

I mean JP Temmy is Akira Ishida who spent half his career doing basically that exact same character.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

I mean JP Temmy is Akira Ishida who spent half his career doing basically that exact same character.

Knowing nothing about voice actors (given being deaf) I went to look this guy up. Akaza, Hyoga, Elidibus, Gaara, Byakuya Togami, Kaworu. Jesus he really nailed that type.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I’m glad I didn’t give in to impatience and played through everyone’s chapter 1. Felt like I would’ve missed a lot if I’d skipped it.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Ochette's JP voice is the best and her going GAOO!! is the cutest
Temenos is also great
Castti's JP voice is a little flat though

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The only English VA I felt didn’t do too good was Agnea. She’s a bit stilted.

Partitio’s inflections and emoting all work for the scenes he’s in.

English Ochette is incredibly powerful though, screaming I’M STARVING at the absolute top of her lungs. Ochette is PROBABLY the best VA overall.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I don't mind Agnea as much (which is funny because the VA's other roles like Marianne from Fire Emblem and Haru from P5 have been hit or miss for me)... except that they use her 'watch me shine!' clip a lot and it gets very noticeable.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I got through 30 seconds of the dub on the first game and there was no way I was going to use anything but the Japanese dialog for this. Even if some of the English VAs are ones I enjoy in other games (like Agnea being Haru) I just didn't trust it.

garfield hentai posted:

I just finished the last of the character/crossed path stories and I while I definitely enjoyed my time with it, it's been 70 hours and all the threads I cared about are resolved and I'm feeling like the final chapter stuff seems like a bit of a chore and it's time to move on. Figured I'd just read some spoilers to see how bad I was missing out and I'm definitely feeling validated in my decision.

I would do it anyway, the final boss is really fun and the epilogue after everything is really cool.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Agnea's English VA is also Miwako from 13 Sentinels who is perfect and the best girl

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Xanthe Hyun as Agnea is worth it for …Dolcinealand?? alone.

But the best English acting in the game goes to Throné’s personalized battle quips when other characters break an enemy.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Wrong it's Ochette's victory howl into giggling

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

GAOOO is good

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
THESE HANDS

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

It's thinking time

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

No mercy. ONLY PAIN.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I’m partway through my second chapter 2 after getting all the party members and I’m so goddamn hooked. I’ve been wandering some danger level 20 areas to try and get my party up a bit so I can steal more poo poo. Game owns, can’t wait to start hitting dungeons and stuff.

The first chapter 2 I did was Throné’s and there wasn’t any combat so I’m kind of hoping that changes later in the game.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Every character gets one chapter without a "proper" boss fight, though usually still with a dungeon crawl.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Every character gets one chapter without a "proper" boss fight, though usually still with a dungeon crawl.

Yeah generally yeah the chapters' structures vary a lot, sometimes there's no combat, sometimes there's no dungeon but there is a boss, sometimes there's a dungeon and no boss, etc.

It's to the point that the chapter numbers vary. For example some characters have multiple chapter 2s that can be done in different orders and no chapter 5. Partitio only has four main story chapters but three "Scent of Commerce" mini-chapters to make up the difference. One even has three chapter 2s, and her final chapter is her chapter 3.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 24, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harrow posted:

Yeah generally yeah the chapters' structures vary a lot, sometimes there's no combat, sometimes there's no dungeon but there is a boss, sometimes there's a dungeon and no boss, etc.

I really appreciated Castii's Chapter 4 not having a boss. It would've just gotten in the way of the flow of an excellent story as she winds her way up the mountain slowly recalling the purple rain.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Harrow posted:

That’s so cool. I really feel (could be wrong of course) that they really added a lot more depth and mechanics to the sequel.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Yeah the willingness to change up the characters story was nice, even if it did mean a final boss surprised me lol

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Lmao I almost hosed myself over. I had a dude that caused a Bewildering whatever with me and didn’t realize how many Agnea moves count as dances until I ran face first into a boss :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bigtime endgame spoilers, don't highlight unless you've finished the finale: y'know I gotta hand it to Kazan/Oboro. Orchestrating the entire Ku civil war--from Mugen usurping the throne all the way to Hikari dethroning him--just to steal one sword is one hell of a heist.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
As above for the finale.

My utter horror as my favourite side character in the game was secretly evil. Good times.

Journalist girl deserved better.

Chasiubao posted:

That’s so cool. I really feel (could be wrong of course) that they really added a lot more depth and mechanics to the sequel.

It works really well, the original felt very constrained by everyone having the same number of chapters but with this they have more ability to give stories the right amount of time based on the amount of fuel those stories have in the tank.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Natural 20 posted:

As above for the finale.

My utter horror as my favourite side character in the game was secretly evil. Good times.

Journalist girl deserved better.

But Partitio showed her that some people are good and she didn’t kill herself. Still sniffed out the flame so it wouldn’t have mattered either way. Makes me wonder why they included that part?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

More finale spoilers:

With a couple of the Moonshade Order people, it feels like they were never really evil, but people close to them who were evil/true believers took advantage of their vulnerability and used them towards their own ends. Tanzy was never even aware of what Arcanette was working towards and Arcanette used her grief to turn her into her puppet and then threw her out. Ori, meanwhile, was overcome with despair and Oboro used that to "guide" her towards doing his bidding. I feel like Partitio being able to get through to Ori suggests she always had a seed of doubt in her, especially because we see other Moonshade Order members acknowledging the true goodness and hope in people they care about (Trousseau with Castti, Oboro with Hikari) but that just makes them go "don't worry my friend, I'll save you from existence too." Ori, meanwhile, had just enough of a gap in her armor that Partitio was able to inspire hope in her, too.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I'm coming on the Big Endgame! Only 3 cross3d path finales and a few optional dungeons left.

Is there a consensus on best Ochette endgame captures and follower NPCs?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaggitz posted:

I'm coming on the Big Endgame! Only 3 cross3d path finales and a few optional dungeons left.

Is there a consensus on best Ochette endgame captures and follower NPCs?

The most helpful captures for Ochette are monsters that do double-attacks that hit all the enemies for breaking. The Vagrant Frogking II does two axe hits to the whole enemy squad, and there are a couple that do two staff hits, which is extra helpful for the superboss. You can also capture minibosses but they require a full boost to use like Ochette's story captures, and that means you can't use them with Provoke Beasts so they aren't as useful overall.

Follower NPC-wise, the most important one (other than using Alrond for turbo-fast EXP/JP gain) would be an NPC that lets Agnea grant BP with her dances. The two I know about are an apprentice dancer in the dancer's guild in Wellgrove and a scholar near the entrance to Montwise, both of them work great, just grab whichever is easier to allure.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
do Ochette's physical/elemental damage stats affect her pokemon's attacks as well, or are the pokemon's stats inherent to the pokemon?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Harrow posted:

The most helpful captures for Ochette are monsters that do double-attacks that hit all the enemies for breaking. The Vagrant Frogking II does two axe hits to the whole enemy squad, and there are a couple that do two staff hits, which is extra helpful for the superboss. You can also capture minibosses but they require a full boost to use like Ochette's story captures, and that means you can't use them with Provoke Beasts so they aren't as useful overall.

Follower NPC-wise, the most important one (other than using Alrond for turbo-fast EXP/JP gain) would be an NPC that lets Agnea grant BP with her dances. The two I know about are an apprentice dancer in the dancer's guild in Wellgrove and a scholar near the entrance to Montwise, both of them work great, just grab whichever is easier to allure.

There is one particularly revenant, like a wind revenant or something that has an attack which hits an Axe Weakness and then a wind weakness.

Superboss stuff

Yeah this is loving stupid on either form of Galdera where in stage 1 all the adds are weak to both wind and axe and in stage 2 all of them are weak to at least one of wind or axe.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

do Ochette's physical/elemental damage stats affect her pokemon's attacks as well, or are the pokemon's stats inherent to the pokemon?

AFAIK her Pokemon just have their own stats, so ultimately they're not a great way to do damage against late-game bosses. It makes her amazing at breaking though and sometimes I like running her as an Armsmaster so she can cleave things in half with Lionheart's Axe. (Whenever I'm not using Armsmaster to super-boost Osvald's fire spells.)

Natural 20 posted:

There is one particularly revenant, like a wind revenant or something that has an attack which hits an Axe Weakness and then a wind weakness.

Superboss stuff

Yeah this is loving stupid on either form of Galdera where in stage 1 all the adds are weak to both wind and axe and in stage 2 all of them are weak to at least one of wind or axe.

Lol yeah, I think also all the adds in phase 1 are weak to staff so the double-staff hit monsters can break really easily with Provoke Beasts. Ochette is the queen of breaks.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
So are path actions more interesting in 2? I was excited for them in 1 since it seemed like they were finally trying to do choice & consequence in a JRPG. But they ended up disappointing because it never felt like there was any reason not to do every action to every character you could, turning them into just a rote list of things you did to exhaust the content of an area.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

English Ochette is incredibly powerful though, screaming I’M STARVING at the absolute top of her lungs. Ochette is PROBABLY the best VA overall.

Ochette's voice direction and acting are MVP for for me because characters like that can easily become obnoxious if they're not done right, but they threaded the needle perfectly

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Speaking of Ochette, were Beastlings in the first game, or is this like, a new world?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Chasiubao posted:

Speaking of Ochette, were Beastlings in the first game, or is this like, a new world?

OT2 is set in a different continent than OT1.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Just starting out. I picked the their lady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

OT2 is set in a different continent than OT1.

I think it's a little ambiguous whether it's a different continent in the same world, or whether it's a different world altogether. The stories of the gods are very different even though the gods have the same names, for example. At the same time there's that late-game side quest with Galdera and Al almost saying he's from Orsterra but I think it's debatable whether they came from another continent or another world altogether.

Then again Champions of the Continent is apparently getting Solistia content soon so I guess maybe that'll confirm one way or the other.