Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Don't be an idiot like me and not scroll down to see the red spice strengtheners. :doh:

I did that last week when I tried out the game and then promptly stopped playing it when I realized you have to juggle multiple spice colors at the same time
Surely there could have been a better place to put the multiplier than just below the edge of the screen on a regular 1080p screen
Might pick it up again cause I hear automation comes pretty quickly :v:

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Spice automation (and the max all button) buys 1 of a new tier until it reaches 10, so it's 1000% superior to antimatter already.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

PizzaFiend posted:

Unfortunately it looks like a recent update to the game stops this from working again. I'm unable to click past the title screen after replacing the file.

I'll update this soon!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Infinity Gaia posted:

This Crystallized Spice phase is very long and while it's not particularly manually intensive it requires constant attention to progress at anything resembling a decent pace. Kind of annoying.
I thiiiiink this isn't true. When I have to step away and do longer prestiges my rate of rainbow spice gain actually increases according to the stats, so this phase seems pretty idle friendly.

At least it's more idle than having to hold down M and B constantly.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Sindai posted:

I thiiiiink this isn't true. When I have to step away and do longer prestiges my rate of rainbow spice gain actually increases according to the stats, so this phase seems pretty idle friendly.

At least it's more idle than having to hold down M and B constantly.

Yeah your pink spice is still building up in the background and every color boost takes 30 orders of magnitude more or whatever, so your income does go up. It's obviously not the most efficient but definitely no problem to idle.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i got bored before i even unlocked another colour

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Ghostlight posted:

i got bored before i even unlocked another colour

I'm honestly just really, really bored of that particular style of incremental

They're all the same drat game, and they tend to all devolve into "just buy the next available upgrade", sometimes to the point where you just hold down the "max all" button for like an hour

it's really, really boring

PizzaFiend
Jun 20, 2008

I think we're on to something, Zach!

Garfu posted:

I'll update this soon!

This is extremely appreciated! Even just the party size increase that your mod allows for makes the game much more enjoyable, so thanks for putting that out there.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Arzaac posted:

I'm honestly just really, really bored of that particular style of incremental

They're all the same drat game, and they tend to all devolve into "just buy the next available upgrade", sometimes to the point where you just hold down the "max all" button for like an hour

it's really, really boring

The genre continue evolving and inventing new mechanics and developing new ideas. We see strange new cool incrementals every month.
But this progress mean old stuff and old ideas looks trite and boring now.

I personally have outgrown out of a few sub-genres..

- Clickers: zero interest. I never had much other than maybe crazy lore for cookieclicker or something like that.
- Incrementals that are just climbing a list of upgrades: middly annoyed of these. Not my thing anymore.
- Civ sims like the kittens games: could play for a few days,while it unlock new fresh ideas, but not stickingpower.
- Incrementals with a story and challenging conditions to unlock new branching gameplay: this is where I am now. I am still having a lot of fun with Your Chronicle, and hoping we see more games where Story is more a focus.

Anyway, I believe not everyone is going to end in the same place. Perhaps the subgenres will evolve into whole genres, some people is going to stick with clickers and the clickers genre evolve into something big and cool for that public.

Incremental games naturally jumped from HTML browser games to cellphone games. Theres a lot of incremental games that are now android games.
And since a few years ago, theres a lot of chines "Gacha" like incrementals. Even MMO incrementals. These are machines to separate "fools" from their money, but at the same time are interesting because have high production values. Instead of a crude HTML site made with HTML 1.0 like if we where in the internet of the 90's, they are made by a small army of artist with cool animations and graphics, flashsy FX effects and nice ladies to look at (if you are into that thing).

My point is... who knows where this is going to evolve to? is awesome to be a incremental games fan and see all of this develop.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

There's also a point where I just don't have the energy and attention to want to endlessly stare at games like Magic Research where there's never really much actual idling, it's all very active unless you want to purposefully tank your progression. USI was the best recent game IMO to hit this good balance of stuff to do vs being able to walk away for a while and not feel screwed.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I still go back to Candy Box 1/2 and A Dark Room most often when I want an idle game fix. As old as those games are, they had a solid grasp on two principles most of the modern games still lack: switch up the gameplay and unlock new things at a fast enough pace to keep people interested, and end the game once it gets too tedious.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Safari Disco Lion posted:

There's also a point where I just don't have the energy and attention to want to endlessly stare at games like Magic Research where there's never really much actual idling, it's all very active unless you want to purposefully tank your progression. USI was the best recent game IMO to hit this good balance of stuff to do vs being able to walk away for a while and not feel screwed.

That's what the time pieces and 8x speed or instant research/etc are to help with. And Conjure Building -- this takes care of a lot of the grunt work and lets you focus on exploring and interacting with the boss fights and hunting down the story bits. So you can go full manual or lean a lot into the idle aspect without tanking your progress depending on your preference. Even the random events will just stack up notifications, you don't have to deal with them for fear of not getting another.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 20, 2023

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
https://lloyd-delacroix.github.io/omsi-loops/

Been playing this lately. Not sure if it was linked before. Well, I was going to drop it because of how slow it was getting, but I decided to just open the console and put in the cheat commands to give myself infinite Bonus Seconds and set the rate to 50x. There is still an element of overnight progress and at least when I'm actively looking at it, I'll be able to see the result of a loop in 1-2 mins. There are also multiple branches of this including one with a pet.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Idle Loops has come up in the past, this is the third person to take the same game and expand on it further. If you have beaten omsi, lloyd just adds onto the end of it, so you can import save from omsi into it and not miss anything.

Optional speed cheats in console also
addOffline(x), x is in milliseconds, gives you bonus time to run at 5x
gameSpeed=x to just set the gamespeed to whatever you want

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I think I'm gonna bail on Magic Research. It's the perfect storm of tedious/active bits (5-8 minute fights that you have to babysit potions for) and sitting around waiting for RNG (really? In year 2023?) to make it feel dreadfully unrewarding to play.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Toshimo posted:

I think I'm gonna bail on Magic Research. It's the perfect storm of tedious/active bits (5-8 minute fights that you have to babysit potions for) and sitting around waiting for RNG (really? In year 2023?) to make it feel dreadfully unrewarding to play.

Yeah, the RNG for events is such a buzzkill.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

You can kinda bank the time-skip units in order to try to force events but you very quickly hit 1hour+ timers for events (and you need to prestige to reset it) and even with a late spell that supposedly increases rare event spawns sometimes the drat suckers just will not loving roll for you.

Personally, it was the combat that made me quit. I had reached a fairly late stage of the game but the boss design at that point is infuriating; has a mana freeze which kills you because your buffs drop off. OK cool so stun it, right? Well, it ALSO has a stun YOU need to stun or you're out for like 30 seconds which is ALSO enough to cause you to die due to buff drop-offs. Ooookay, but you have a spell stun plus the item stun, so that covers it in any given 180 second window? Right? Wrong, because the boss has RANDOM cooldowns for those abilities and CAN re-cast the freeze or the stun pretty much right after your stun, if it wants to.

I do not understand late game boss design at all. There's people on the Steam forums that say evasion is the way to beat bosses but spells and abilities hit 100% of the time if you don't stun AND your evasion is dependent on two buffs, without which the boss will one-tap you given that evasion builds drop your health. I can see you beating the encounter via RNG but gently caress THAT given how actively you need to baby-sit the fight(s).

idk, I am aware there's a feature late-game that provides a source of (permanent?) stat boosts, including evasion, but it's so weird how late it is buried that I can't really be assed.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Magic research with the constant info windows when a skill increased just felt like a pop up ad closing simulator made it less than a day.

Thankfully the demo seems long enough if it's for you you'll know it before dropping fivebux.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

pixaal posted:

Magic research with the constant info windows when a skill increased just felt like a pop up ad closing simulator made it less than a day.
there's configuration options for hiding popups during the first 15 minutes of a retirement, or if they don't give you anything special

I went hard on Magic Research but didn't end up beating what I presume is the big boss.

I really think every boss should have 1/5 or 1/10th as much health. Enough to see all their dirty tricks, but not so long that you're bringing 70 potions and babysitting it for 10 minutes.

The RNG for random events is indeed annoying, for anyone trying to collect missing storylines I would encourage waiting until you can autocast the high-level divination spell "Even the Odds"

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

There are very clear "best ways" to do things which is sad in a game that presents itself as having as much choice in spells and gear as it does.

Have any of you tried the Nature school's Evocations? That was the first big jump forwards for me, bosses that were giving me trouble before were manageable by stacking Nature's dots and just enduring while they did the work.

AND THEN you unlock Darkness, which has the best MP-to-Damage ratios for Evos, and with the Magic Artillery buff you MELT bosses.

Until you don't, and it feels once more that there's one correct answer and you just haven't found it yet.

Like, what's the point of all that gear, all those schools of magic, all the different elements, if there's really only one good way to progress?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah it sucks that you can't use Darkness in the end game. Besides that, which I really really disliked even if it makes thematic sense, my biggest gripe is with silence/dispel spam. It does take most of the strategy out of the end game fights when you just gear up and auto attack it down with no apprentices/alchemy doing anything interesting.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

DemonMage posted:

Yeah it sucks that you can't use Darkness in the end game. Besides that, which I really really disliked even if it makes thematic sense, my biggest gripe is with silence/dispel spam. It does take most of the strategy out of the end game fights when you just gear up and auto attack it down with no apprentices/alchemy doing anything interesting.

if you use stun bombs/defensive stun/stun whip, you can sometimes mitigate some of those big annoying attack/debuffs altogether

Also another good endgame tactic for me at least, is using Lightning element, setting 30 apprentices on the top level spell, and blitzing them down with overwhelming force.

Residual Toast fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Apr 22, 2023

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
The YC hack thing is updated for the newest version: https://garfu.dev/Domain.dll

They moved some code around though so the norn skip and the sin cap increase don't work and I don't play the game anymore so I cba to find the values and edit them sorry

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Garfu posted:

The YC hack thing is updated for the newest version: https://garfu.dev/Domain.dll

They moved some code around though so the norn skip and the sin cap increase don't work and I don't play the game anymore so I cba to find the values and edit them sorry

You are a gentle person and a scholar. Thanks for this, the most annoying part of the game is the constant party dance that makes getting back through the early game frustrating and tedious. Just having the extended party means getting the Sin extension doesn’t take a month of waiting.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Residual Toast posted:

if you use stun bombs/defensive stun/stun whip, you can sometimes mitigate some of those big annoying attack/debuffs altogether

Bomb+Defensive Stun, sure, but again: enemies don't seem to have a real cooldown on their abilities because they sure as hell can choose to re-cast what you just stunned as soon as they recover. Happened to me a bunch.

And the whip is super unreliable. It's what, a 15% chance to stun per hit? You can maybe get two hits in during a channel, if you're lucky. There's no way you can trust that to work when if it doesn't you lose. Plus, due to stun immunity it can actually brick you by stunning them right before they start to channel one of those must-stun effects and then you're boned.

Really dumb system.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
You use darkness to defeat the secret end boss, also you can overpower anything with enough stats, never had to babysit potions.

PizzaFiend
Jun 20, 2008

I think we're on to something, Zach!

Garfu posted:

Thank you for this! To echo the other poster the constant party juggling was really taking out the enjoyment, and this really alleviates that!

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.

Sivart13 posted:

I really think every boss should have 1/5 or 1/10th as much health. Enough to see all their dirty tricks, but not so long that you're bringing 70 potions and babysitting it for 10 minutes.

Agreed, once I hit the lightning dungeon first kills on bosses turned into 10-15 minutes repeating the same 30 second loop and the game went directly to 'would not recommend.'

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Slickdrac posted:

Idle Loops has come up in the past, this is the third person to take the same game and expand on it further. If you have beaten omsi, lloyd just adds onto the end of it, so you can import save from omsi into it and not miss anything.

That first speed cheat feels almost mandatory. Even with it giving permanent bonus time, the forest is a slog; I can't imagine what it would be like at 1/5th speed.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

an iksar marauder posted:

You use darkness to defeat the secret end boss, also you can overpower anything with enough stats, never had to babysit potions.
I haven't gotten to any secret end boss, but how do you defeat the dragon that constantly casts "Electric Shutdown" and "Magic Fuzziness" (or whatever they're called) the first time without babysitting potions?

I don't know how "overpower anything with stats" applies because you can't exactly overlevel at this point, given the benefit you get from retirement is tied to the max level you've achieved. I was never able to sustain enough healing while mana-weakened to last through the battle without potions.

But it's very possible a strategy existed I didn't know about. Stun seems inadequate because even with a ton of sources of stun the dragon has "stun resistance" for long enough it's guaranteed to eventually get off a mana-draining spell.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Sivart13 posted:

But it's very possible a strategy existed I didn't know about. Stun seems inadequate because even with a ton of sources of stun the dragon has "stun resistance" for long enough it's guaranteed to eventually get off a mana-draining spell.

The first time I killed that dragon, I used a ton of poison potions, the axe that poisoned, and nature spell poison, along with every defensive measure I had. Yes including the earth armor and a shield accessory. All runs after that have been easier, but I like the poison ax there anyways.

Also, from now on most bosses will silence, dispel, mana drain or otherwise gently caress with your casts, so be ready to punch them in the face as hard as you can.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

Sivart13 posted:

I haven't gotten to any secret end boss, but how do you defeat the dragon that constantly casts "Electric Shutdown" and "Magic Fuzziness" (or whatever they're called) the first time without babysitting potions?

Self Dispel being mass casted by Apprentices fixes those. (Too bad same thing doesn't do anything against Silence).

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Big patch just landed, including a substantial nerf to the double-stun-or-die boss: they lost Dispel (in return for a strong poison debuff) and their stun now has "double attack delay" which I assume is a weird way to say cooldown.

Rest in piss.

Also apparently picking the Darkness Element locks you out of the main ending and until this patch you had no way of knowing that until you got there, LOL

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 24, 2023

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah that lock out really pissed me off even if it makes sense a bit from a story perspective. The third boss in that location is the one I got stuck on last I played.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Slickdrac posted:

How do I open the console?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

slothrop posted:

How do I open the console?

Depends on your browser, generally, but right click -> inspect -> console works quickly for chrome. Most others should either be a menu option or quick keybind.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
F12 I think also works for all browsers

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

Sivart13 posted:

He deals no damage so as long as you can tank him he will eventually die. I believe at this point I was stacking up school masteries (get to 30 in a school, beat the master). To give an example, enchantment mastery gives you increased spell duration *and* increased effect of spells. Spend less mana to get double the stats

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Are there any good resources/tutorials on how to start making idle games? And are there any recommendations for an easier-to-use game engine to make an idle game with?

I have an idea for a narrative-driven idle game that I want to try making, but I'm coming into this from the perspective of someone who hasn't touched programming since high-school in the early 00's, and that was Javascript.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
There's a bunch of resources on the incremental_games subreddit including a number of quick get-started templates as well as more in depth walkthroughs.

As far as engines go there's Idle Game Maker which is a low coding option but less flexible with what you can do, and the folks responsible for the modding tree abstracted it out into an engine called Profectus that you might want to look into as well. Probably more I'm forgetting.