Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I have adapted to the dark season via judicious application of hygge. There are chunks of cinnamon and ginger in my fruit tea right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

mobby_6kl posted:

Trieste seems hotter in the summers and colder in the winters, though not by much :confused:

I mean Portugal would probably have somewhat similar climate but then I'd still be in Eastern Europe.

That table is sorta skewed by having centuries of data, the same site i used for recent local data shows a harsher summer at Miami airport

https://weatherspark.com/y/146868/Average-Weather-at-Miami-International-Airport-Florida-United-States-Year-Round

https://weatherspark.com/compare/y/146868~75057/Comparison-of-the-Average-Weather-at-Miami-International-Airport-and-Trieste

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Riga comparison is very funny

https://weatherspark.com/compare/y/75057~91560/Comparison-of-the-Average-Weather-in-Trieste-and-Riga

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Utterly unrelated, I haven't seen it on SA yet: https://polanddaily24.com/rutkowski...me-corner/21726

Not many English-language articles around since it happened. I can translate the TAZ article if you are interested.

Anyway, very normal.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

It's one step away in the average hourly diagram(freezing to comfortable instead of very cold to hot) and a lot of extra snow (which i envy a lot, we get nothing but less than an hour of it for a few days in the whole year).

Antigravitas posted:

Utterly unrelated, I haven't seen it on SA yet: https://polanddaily24.com/rutkowski...me-corner/21726

Not many English-language articles around since it happened. I can translate the TAZ article if you are interested.

Anyway, very normal.

I think i saw a few references to the seizure of that MRAP in TFR and GIP

EDIT: found the thread where I saw it first https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4028889&userid=174063#post531050180

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 11, 2023

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

Anyway, very normal.

what the gently caress lmao. also loving polizeisprecherin straight out of a red alert cutscene :allears:

SlowBloke posted:

It's one step away in the average hourly diagram(freezing to comfortable instead of very cold to hot) and a lot of extra snow (which i envy a lot, we don't get nothing but less than an hour of it for a few days in the whole year).

uh, that's not really a lot, especially given the average temperature – stays around for a few days at time, maybe one for a week or two. in my hometown, for contrast, you can have snow around for months, like you'd expect in a winter, but the amounts are paltry at that as well https://weatherspark.com/compare/y/91560~95173/Comparison-of-the-Average-Weather-in-Riga-and-Rēzekne

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

SlowBloke posted:

I think i saw a few references to the seizure of that MRAP in TFR and GIP

EDIT: found the thread where I saw it first https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4028889&userid=174063#post531050180

Incredible pictures.

:psyduck:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Duzzy Funlop posted:

So here's a very regional current event:
(Disclaimer: Sorry for the wall of :words:, read to the end or skip it and just check the end)

Around 50 polish lorry drivers have gone on strike and set up camp at a German Autobahn rest-stop just south of Frankfurt since the 30th of March.
They've gone on strike because their supremely-lovely boss of a polish international logistics company hasn't been paying them for months. The only power they have rests in the tractor units for the lorries, which are company-owned.
They haven't been hindering traffic or causing any other inconvenience since they set up, the cops have even swung by daily to see if everything's IN ORDNUNG.
They've also had support from several union-advocacy groups and the chairman of the German Federation of Trade Unions.

Fast-forward to the morning of Good Friday, April 7th. The owner of the logistics company has apparently enlisted the services of "famous private investigator" Krzysztof Rutkowski (he does actually refer to himself as the most famous polish private investigator in Poland) and his PMC :airquote: security services provider :airquote: "Rutkowski Patrol". Rutkowski himself has a bit of a history with shady "extraordinary international extractions" that he and his company did for clout since they had a deal with a Polish TV show and he may or may not have abused his diplomatic visa in the process.

But take my reporting on Mr. Rutkowski with a grain of salt, so to avoid bias, let's have a look at the man.

Okay, that's not fair, that's just an old Wikipedia pic making him look like a comical villain. Surely, his more recent lifestyle makes him look better.

Okay, this is probably all confirmation bias, let's disregard that the man has had some success and maybe likes expensive cars, gold chains, and pocket-rats.
Surely, the practices of "Rutowski Patrol" are all above board, to the letter of national/international law, and not at all scummy.

Oh, what's that? He loaded up 20 thugs in tactilol gear into several fake-official LEO vehicles (including, but not limited to, a mine-protected APC and a re-branded 90's style US police cruiser), recruited 20 strike-buster truck drivers into vans, crossed the border and drove 4 hours across Germany to beat up the striking truck drivers and have their trucks drive back to Poland?
Well, whoopsiedoodles.

Here's where their entire plan was foiled by a single Polizei squad car already being at the rest-stop when they pulled in:

Instead of driving past them, whooping up on their countrymen somethin' fierce, and getting out of dodge before the two cops would have chosen to interfere with their little PMC convoy (the aftermath would have been funny as hell, because there's nothing like a national police chase to stop a convoy of paramilitary idiots with 15 trucks in tow that needs 4 hours to get back into Poland), they decided to identify themselves as participants of the strike and let the extremely confused cops inventory and photograph their little convoy.

So the cops decide to stall them and give them a full "license-and-registration"-treatment, while - I assume - the other cop was on the radio going "Jah, Günther? Everything just zuper, just ein kleines little issue: I have ein small convoy of 30+ Poles in TAKTISCHE AUSRÜSTUNG und EIN MINENGESCHÜTZTES PANZERFAHRZEUG hier, could you maybe contact Hans-Dieter and have him send, jah, I don't know, EVERYONE? Jah? Das ist gut? Peachy, super-Hugendubel, mein Freund!"

After like 20 minutes, RUTKOWSKI-PATROL-COMMANDER goes "harumph, am I losing the element of surprise here? eh, what are these two cops gonna do, let's go!"
So they drive past them and do a full clown-car dismount from their MPV and several vans and start surrounding the strike.

Behold, the sheer force of imposition displayed by RUTKOWSKI-PATROL-COMMANDER: (not even gonna -timg this chonky-boi)

Extremely confused German Polizist trying to ascertain what the gently caress is going on as he is still under the impression that the very legal polish strike just got some "somewhat shady" polish reinforcements.

Rutkowski-Patrol members warming their hands and contemplating what to do next due to a lack of coordination:

The situation comes to a boil as the first unionbusters attempt to commandeer a lorry to drive it back to Poland:

A brief melee ensues between the drivers and the unionbusters:

At this point, roughly 6 more German cops have arrived on the scene, but seem to share the confusion of the first officers on the scene, thinking they're still facing an internal argument that got violent (because they someone can't separate a group of day-laborers and a bunch of kitted-up goons arriving in armored vehicles in their head), so they initially side with Rutkowski-Patrol against the strike.
Of particular note should be one particular rookie-Polizist that is faced with 30 angry and - supposedly - violent Poles, so he does the one thing that makes sense to him:
DOUBLE-FIST BEAR-MACE

Nothing comes of the confrontation, as the cops have now isolated the drivers from the union-busters, inadvertantly keeping Rutkowski-Patrol from driving off any more trucks (because they managed to commandeer one previously), so the cops are suddenly faced by a very cheerful and applauding group of Poles that are very much non-violent. Head-cop arrives on scene and goes "Uhhhh, who the gently caress are these kitted-up goons over there and why is there an armored personnel carrier with a Polish license plate blocking the street?!?"

The entirety of the state's police force arrive on scene, and box in all of Rutkowski-Patrol by sheer superiority of vehicles and bodies.

Representatives of the German Federation of Trade Unions also arrive - to great applause of the Polish drivers - and they let the cops know who they actually need to arrest.

Stefan Körzell, member-of-the-board of the German Federation of Trade unions letting the press know just how hot he thinks his moostache is, and that he does not intend to POLIIICE it at all.

Rutkowski-Patrol, here seen contained in the arrest-zone, secured by an inescapable barrier of caution-tape:

End of the story:
- 19 members of Rutkowski-Patrol were arrested
- all Rutkowski-Patrol vehicles were secured
- one or two government officials have probably gotten a phone-call and gone "uuuuuuhhh...?"
- the strike continues

If you'd like to get some while the gettin's good, Polish "news channel" PATRIOT24.TV was embedded with Rutkowski's goons and put the whole thing up on YouTube about 12 hours ago, but I'm assuming it'll be taken down before long when either the authorities or Rutkowski Patrol figure out there's a whole lot of juicy evidence in there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEWCY_QKFvY

Well, that's all for German current events, thanks for listening, namasté

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo :lmao:

Can't trade this stuff for less miserable weather.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

loving akimbo bear spray cop with the howling charge lmao around 15:15

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Very impressed by the write-up, holy poo poo.

Rutkowski was actually a real cop in the early 90s and was so good he became media famous and it broke his brain.

Today:

As for the truck driver strike, the company owner is a typical thug. Poland is the biggest truck transport provider in the EU and a source for truck drivers, but the market has been bled dry and it’s hard to hire new people. Other EU countries have also pushed for legislation that forced Polish transport companies to bring pay and conditions to the level of the countries where the truck drivers actually operate.

Along comes industry captain dipshit, hiring drivers from Georgia, Kazakhstan and other far eastern countries on very shady grounds. Since these people are desperate for work and often conned, they have no recourse when they don’t get paid.

It must be very lucrative, too - it turns out the guys sun is a Youtuber, showing off his dad’s assortment of high performance Lambos and Ferraris as his own.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Did Rutkowski actually show up to the protest in an Audi A8 while his “troops” arrived in the MRAP and fake police car?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
My god Rutkowski :allears: It's been years since I've heard that name! And it doesn't disappoint.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Did Rutkowski actually show up to the protest in an Audi A8 while his “troops” arrived in the MRAP and fake police car?

Everything you read about the guy is 100% true, especially the weird stuff.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
He looks and acts like bootleg JoJo villain.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Is he still trying to catch the Dukovski cousins and their FSO Polonez "General Krzyżanowski"?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
It also bears mentioning that the 'famous private investigator' has lost his license back in 2010 and just... kept going regardless, throwing money at courts telling him to stop every once in a while.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Pies, Łowca Nagród

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Apr 12, 2023

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
I mentioned this story to my (polish) wife, who hadn't heard it, but when I mentioned a weird private detective agency she immediately knew who I was talking about.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Nenonen posted:

Is he still trying to catch the Dukovski cousins and their FSO Polonez "General Krzyżanowski"?

He moved on to Dymek & Rozbójnik

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

That post is an all-timer, holy poo poo :lmao: I can only imagine what the German cops felt when they realized what the hell was going on.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

barbecue at the folks posted:

That post is an all-timer, holy poo poo :lmao: I can only imagine what the German cops felt when they realized what the hell was going on.

"Hans. Get ze pepper zpray. Zwei cans"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kikas posted:

"Hans. Get ze pepper zpray. Zwei cans"

That cop definitely didn't get it, as he initially thought that the striking drivers were the aggressor party by the look of it :laffo:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

China had to issue a clarification saying that "it respects sovereignty of ex-Soviet states" after the Chinese ambassador to France said that former Soviet countries don’t have “effective status in international law".

https://www.reuters.com/world/some-eu-ministers-say-china-envoys-remarks-ukraine-sovereignty-unacceptable-2023-04-24/

quote:

China respects the status of former Soviet member states as sovereign nations, its foreign ministry said on Monday, distancing itself from comments by its envoy to Paris that triggered an uproar among European capitals.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/24/china/china-ambassador-lu-shaye-baltic-soviet-states-europe-intl-hnk/index.html

quote:

The remarks by China’s ambassador to France Lu Shaye, who said during a television interview that former Soviet countries don’t have “effective status in international law,” have caused diplomatic consternation, especially in the Baltic states.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Loss of face is supposedly such an issue in the Chinese culture. I can’t imagine this guy’s outburst is not one gigantic loss if face and he should be gone from diplomacy, but who knows.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
A couple good articles on a TV Rain journo's journey in CJR today:

https://www.cjr.org/the_media_today/annie-hylton-tv-rain-valeria-ratnikova.php

https://www.cjr.org/the_feature/tv-rain-valeria-exile.php

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
https://www.euronews.com/2023/05/05/8-fatally-shot-in-serbian-town-day-after-9-killed-at-school

Two mass shootings in Serbia in less than two days. Lots of dead kids, it's horrible. Vučić blamed western influences after the first shooting because it was in school. Can't say that after the second, where the perpetrator is a son of a colonel, and fascinated by Serbian gangsters. That's not rare, gangsters in Serbia can be reality show stars, and war criminals are respected too. More of Vučić rubbish includes disclosing perpetrators' medical and other information (one is a 13 year old kid), saying neither one will set foot outside prison for the rest of their lives (no pressure on judges...), claiming the second killer had a Hitler t-shirt (he didn't), calling it an act of terrorism (it wasn't), pretending he asked for installing the death penalty and got rejected by his government...

The only good thing that will come out of this is that they're cracking down on illegal guns, which are abundant in Serbia, and making it harder to own guns legally. In fact, Serbia is the most armed European country. It might also have the worst media. No hard data on that, just my experience. It's headline one - paranoia and fear from threats from neighboring countries, headline two - reality show news, headline three - Vučić is under horrible pressure but manages to defend Serbia. Next tabloid, restart the cycle.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Man, that’s supper lovely. An absolute horror week with these shootings plus the girl with the knife. What is there to say? The gun situation is horrible, but kids and young people going haywire is a mark of the times. Ideally a society would come together over this in a rational manner, but since blatant populism is the only thing that seems to track, we’re all getting the same political shitshow instead of a measured response.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

https://twitter.com/ColborneMichael/status/1654883408604962816

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Live stream of Day after victory over 3rd Reich parade
https://www.youtube.com/live/bAhtGOjJ_FE?feature=share

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Last year the Russian ambassador to Poland got a face full of red paint trying to lay wreaths at the red army monument in Warsaw.

This year Russian embassy staff (I don’t think the ambassador was there) were thwarted by hundreds of tiny Ukrainian flags laid around the monument which they’d either have to stomp on or kick out if the way. The embassy staff relented and hosed off.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
https://notesfrompoland.com/2023/05/10/poland-recommends-russias-kaliningrad-be-called-krolewiec/

Commission for the Standardization of Geographic Names Outside the Borders of Poland (KSNG) officially stated that "Russian exclave of Kaliningrad should exclusively be referred to in Polish using its historical Polish name of Królewiec". That means absolutely nothing in practice, but still is pretty good trolling move (especially that statement was made on May 9th).

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Szarrukin posted:

https://notesfrompoland.com/2023/05/10/poland-recommends-russias-kaliningrad-be-called-krolewiec/

Commission for the Standardization of Geographic Names Outside the Borders of Poland (KSNG) officially stated that "Russian exclave of Kaliningrad should exclusively be referred to in Polish using its historical Polish name of Królewiec". That means absolutely nothing in practice, but still is pretty good trolling move (especially that statement was made on May 9th).

And there I was hoping Poland finally recognized Kralovec as rightful Czech clay

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
You all talking about Karaliaučius, the obvious extension of Mažoji Lietuva

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

No surprise that the current residents of Nevanlinna are throwing a hissy fit over naming conventions used by their neighbors.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
Aaand apparently there were already voices in Russia Muscovy to rename Poland to Warsaw County (Gubernia Warszawska)

:classiclol:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Rename Russia to Temporarily Occupied Greater Mongolia

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Rename Russia to Temporarily Occupied Greater Mongolia

... and the Republic of Novgorod. :)

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

RedSnapper posted:

Aaand apparently there were already voices in Russia Muscovy to rename Poland to Warsaw County (Gubernia Warszawska)

:classiclol:

At least it's not "Near-Vistula country" (Привислинский край). Though historically Gubernia Warszawska is completely wrong, as it would include maybe 15% of present area of Poland. Near-Vistula would at least include good 2/3

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Oh please, like anything outside of Warsaw matters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Pls send the potatofuhrer thoughts and prayers

https://twitter.com/blogmoyeykuku/status/1657128556521041920