Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1650213316298457091?t=6f_b2FCNtOOThKhXi8vf_Q&s=19

Coming out and saying you're not taking prisoners is a good way to ensure you receive no quarter in kind? Also seems to qualify your organisation for terrorist status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Warbadger posted:

I know. The one photographed almost fully dug out of the mud in Belgorod had no visible additions (fins, wings, etc.) or marks to indicate they had been removed. Looks like a plain old FAB-500.

Would any of that be left intact after penetrating into ground? The bomb shell is hella stronger stuff than the glide package.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Paracausal posted:

Coming out and saying you're not taking prisoners is a good way to ensure you receive no quarter in kind? Also seems to qualify your organisation for terrorist status.

I wonder what the chair of the UN Security Council will say to this!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I wonder if Russia willa use the recent "accidents" to escalate recruitment. I'm genuinely surprised that they admitted the damage happened at all. You'd think they would try to hide it rather than take credit.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://twitter.com/Faytuks/status/1650313944697917440

Apparently, the Ukrainians are using naval drones on Sevastopol again.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Paracausal posted:

https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1650213316298457091?t=6f_b2FCNtOOThKhXi8vf_Q&s=19

This might be the larger point in making this statement; erasing any hope in Wagner's own troops of surrendering to Ukraine and forcing them to fight to the death instead.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

https://twitter.com/Faytuks/status/1650313944697917440

Apparently, the Ukrainians are using naval drones on Sevastopol again.

Those don't seem to be very effective, but I guess they are a reminder for the Russians to keep the fleet parked either inside the harbor where additional air defense can cover them, or away from Ukraine.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Paracausal posted:

Execution on the spot seems like a better fate than getting captured by Wagner.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

Slashrat posted:

This might be the larger point in making this statement; erasing any hope in Wagner's own troops of surrendering to Ukraine and forcing them to fight to the death instead.

That is most likely the case. Fairly sure certain Japanese commanders in WW2 wrote about ordering their troops do brutal things to PoWs for that exact same reason, it is going to be even worse for us if we surrender kind of thing.

It will be diffilcult for the Ukrainians to combat this, as in preventing their soldiers from responding in kind.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Paracausal posted:

That policy will thus be returned in kind, which I believe is the point. They don't want their soldiers to defect by surrendering.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

uncleTomOfFinland posted:

Execution on the spot seems like a better fate than getting captured by Wagner.

Wagner was already making skull goblets and impaling heads on stakes so surely this is only an improvement.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Charlz Guybon posted:

That policy will thus be returned in kind, which I believe is the point. They don't want their soldiers to defect by surrendering.

It won't be returned in kind, at least not on a large scale. Ukraine has some major incentives to at least attempt to fight a lawful war.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Owling Howl posted:

Wagner was already making skull goblets and impaling heads on stakes so surely this is only an improvement.

Don't forget breaking people's heads with sledgehammers. Something they are so proud of they give away hammers as mementos.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Warbadger posted:

It won't be returned in kind, at least not on a large scale. Ukraine has some major incentives to at least attempt to fight a lawful war.

As a PMC, are they covered by any protections at all? Or would designating them as a terrorist organization change that at all?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Icon Of Sin posted:

As a PMC, are they covered by any protections at all?

Yes. The international standards and accords are designed to maximize protections, not minimize them.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1650469693659009027
That seems really dangerous to me

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Letting Washington know about Ukrainian plans? Yes.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Icon Of Sin posted:

As a PMC, are they covered by any protections at all? Or would designating them as a terrorist organization change that at all?

Yes but if they are intentionally kept as deniable assets (i.e. when specific soldiers are not listed in records even as volunteers), they may not get the chance for those protections and disappear. Luckily for them, Wagner soldiers (of course, primarily not the convicts) are used in POW exchanges a lot, and I think Prigozhin is just doing dumb PR for internal audience.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I'm a little confused here... Why is okay for Russia to literally raze entire Ukrainian cities but they can't do strikes in Russian territory?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I'm a little confused here... Why is okay for Russia to literally raze entire Ukrainian cities but they can't do strikes in Russian territory?

the US is more than comfortable trading Ukrainian lives for a slow burn style of warfare that minimizes the retaliatory madness of putin/russia, I'd suspect

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Probably dont want the optics of US weapons (or NATO-trained personnel) used in an attack that strikes non-military targets by mistake

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Attacks like Dugina and Tatarsky, supposing Ukraine carried them out, are counter-productive in that they don't affect anything on the battlefield and is also a strategy the US is not necesarrily interested in being seen as legitimate or being more widely adopted.

More generally NATO weapons or support being used to carry out attacks in Russia might motivate China to materially support Russia. I doubt there is anything you could blow up in Russia that would be worth it if China starts shipping tubes and shells to Russia.

The Kerch Bridge might be the exception as an important transport corridor and for the symbolic value.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's hard to believe that striking Moscow on the anniversary of the war starting would help win the war materially, it'd probably have a high risk of failure, use valuable resources, and could easily kill civilians. The "symbolic value" also seems completely counterproductive - a high-profile attack could help rally public support in Russia, whatever positive morale boost Ukraine would get out of it would be by stoking the population's appetite for revenge, and the international perception of the war would almost certainly shift further from a purely defensive war.

As much as America and Europe's caution about escalation might cause the war to drag on, this is an example of where that sort of check on reckless action is probably for the best.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

War goals are different. This isn't a symmetric war and never will be. Ukraine wants Russian troops to get out of Ukraine and to be independent. Russia wants to conquer Ukraine. If both countires wanted to conquer one another, Ukraine would strike into Russian territory but they don't and won't because they don't want to cause russian civilian casualties, they want to avoid ukrainian civilain casualties. Razing even 10 closest border cities to the ground would not bring Ukraine any closer to "Russian troops in our turf gently caress off" and would be a war crime that would cut off all support from their current allies.

There should be no retaliation on Russian soil. And it is massively unfair. But this is not about fair, this is about survival of the Ukraine as a nation, the people and the culture. This is an existential threat and you don't always secure your existance by threatening someone else.

Unless you know, there's some military goals to achieve there, but I think first things first, there's a lot of russian stuff to blow up in Ukraine. And it's not like you can realistically cripple their airforce without invading.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Kikas posted:

War goals are different.

There should be no retaliation on Russian soil. And it is massively unfair. But this is not about fair, this is about survival of the Ukraine as a nation, the people and the culture. This is an existential threat and you don't always secure your existance by threatening someone else.

Good point. This makes much more sense now.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I think there are probably a range of circumstances in which strikes on Russian soil could be productive, but the ones proposed here seem almost deliberately not to be.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I'm just playing devil's advocate, but there is an argument for strikes on Russian soil because it diverts resources away from the actual front. Every SAM covering an airport in Belgorod is a SAM not in Melitopol.

There's an argument for occupying Russian soil too: Russia has next to no defenses on their actual border because all of their troops are concentrated in SE Ukraine. This territory can then be traded as part of a peace negotiation assuming we're not all dead in nuclear fire.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Tucker Carlson is out from Fox News, which hopefully reduces Russia's information operations in the US by some measurable amount.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Ynglaur posted:

Tucker Carlson is out from Fox News, which hopefully reduces Russia's information operations in the US by some measurable amount.

Good opportunity for Solovyov to hire him as a replacement to Stas AiKakProsto and his communist confederate sidekick. Does Tucker enjoy being paid in potato scraps?

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Kikas posted:

Unless you know, there's some military goals to achieve there, but I think first things first, there's a lot of russian stuff to blow up in Ukraine. And it's not like you can realistically cripple their airforce without invading.

Ukraine has been bombing Belgorod and sending drones deep into Russia. Just because there has been nothing spectacular yet doesn't mean that something is off limits or that there's one weird trick to unlock the russians super sayian mode by crossing some nebulous red line

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The figure for civilian casualties on Russian soil from Ukrainian strikes so far that I've seen recently is about 30 people. With that Russian fighter plane that rammed an apartment building in Yeisk on its own resulting in 16 dead civilians even Russian media is unable to whip up a rally for defense argument - the broad terror attack to win with the Ukrainian population at home would change that.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
So EuromaidanPR is considered a lovely source right? Would this footage then be likely fake?
https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPR/status/1650439450155970560

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Yes it is, just a layer over old drone footage

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I've seen a few articles, that are speculating that a counteroffensive may have begun. The biggest indicator they all point to is the sudden silence on social media especially on the southern front.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/24/europe/ukraine-counteroffensive-speculation-intl-cmd/index.html

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Willo567 posted:

So EuromaidanPR is considered a lovely source right? Would this footage then be likely fake?

GOIDA 09.05

heh, that's pretty good.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Willo567 posted:

Oh you didn't hear? Yeah, a drone put a grenade through Putin's office window. I guess the nukes are in the air right now. You'd better start working out for when your draft number comes up.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

fatherboxx posted:

The figure for civilian casualties on Russian soil from Ukrainian strikes so far that I've seen recently is about 30 people. With that Russian fighter plane that rammed an apartment building in Yeisk on its own resulting in 16 dead civilians even Russian media is unable to whip up a rally for defense argument - the broad terror attack to win with the Ukrainian population at home would change that.

But who is suggesting terror attacks on civilians? What has been happening is airfield and fuel base bombings, I don't understand why is the article being interpreted as Biden talking Ukraine out of bombing tourists on the red square, instead of talking them out of trying to bomb more military hard to reach stuff

Mr. Apollo posted:

I've seen a few articles, that are speculating that a counteroffensive may have begun. The biggest indicator they all point to is the sudden silence on social media especially on the southern front.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/24/europe/ukraine-counteroffensive-speculation-intl-cmd/index.html

Counteroffensive as in probing, no mechanised movement until the mud dries probably?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Somaen posted:

Counteroffensive as in probing, no mechanised movement until the mud dries probably?
I don't know. A lot of the articles suggest mechanized movement (the CNN article talks about tank tracks appearing from nowhere and disappearing into nowhere and empty fields where you expect armored vehicles) but until we actually start getting credible reports or video clips, I doubt we'll know.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

The lack of evidence is evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Russian bloggers talking about Ukrainian units crossing the Dnieper and setting up seems like good evidence that they're at least preparing for an offensive. Also thank god everyone seems to have collectively agreed to call it the "East" rather than the "left" bank now