Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

nachos posted:

Why do they call it the terrible twos when a 3 year old’s tantrums are so much worse

I’ve only known this kid from like 3.5 to 4.5, but I feel like I can agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Tamarillo posted:

My son's been experimenting with "I don't have to talk right now" when asked about his day in the car ride home from daycare.

drat they're teaching the 5th amendment earlier and earlier these days

e: ah poo poo I was beaten, that's what I get for not reading the thread first

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Alterian posted:

What does the gifted program actually do? Mine was just extra homework. 30 years later I am posting here.

I changed schools several times, so I got to see what the gifted program had to offer at several rural WV schools.

Logic puzzles, ham radio, bird watching and bird song ID, the secret to winning at Guess Who, learning to play D&D, learning statistics and card counting to take people's lunch money in poker (which the school immediately banned after I got punched in the nose for winning money from the wrong person), Tora Tora Tora and a diorama of Pearl harbor made out of sugar cubes, English lit (F Scott Fitzgerald, Theodore Dreiser, Thomas Wolfe, etc), in middle school, and lots of extra homework. I didn't get along with some of the other kids, so it wasn't great socially.

It gave me a break from regular classes where I was bored to death. It also led to me being a condescending little poo poo in middle school which directly led to me getting my rear end kicked a lot in high school until I figured out that I should keep my mouth shut a lot more.

In short, it was a mixed bag. Maybe in a bigger school or would have been more positive, but these were small schools with like 3-5 kids total in the gifted program.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

nachos posted:

Why do they call it the terrible twos when a 3 year old’s tantrums are so much worse

That's why we have "threenager".

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

That's why we have "threenager".

To be followed up by the "gently caress you fours"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The "run for your fives"

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
Six and stones will break your bones

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The Existential Sevens

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

sheri posted:

To be followed up by the "gently caress you fours"

I always heard "fournado", but I like this better.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my son is sick today... bad!

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Is it followed by the hateful eights, and does it ever get better?

I’m at the threenager stage and desperate. Throw me a bone, pls.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

My kid is 9 now (almost 10!) and honestly it's been pretty great since he was 4ish.

I know I'm probably jinxing myself for an awful teenagerhood, but we've been enjoying the last many years.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

gbut posted:

Is it followed by the hateful eights, and does it ever get better?

I’m at the threenager stage and desperate. Throw me a bone, pls.

The Nines is when it gets better, they call them the fine Nines.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

sheri posted:

My kid is 9 now (almost 10!) and honestly it's been pretty great since he was 4ish.

I know I'm probably jinxing myself for an awful teenagerhood, but we've been enjoying the last many years.

I’m starting to see some signs of greatness right around 3.5, she is really funny and showing a lot of imagination now. I just wish I knew how to keep her in a good mood more often.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lobster shirt posted:

my son is sick today... bad!

i feel so bad for him, he's got some kind of stomach bug (thankfully it hasn't spread to me or anyone else in the house) and is puking every two or three hours. he just goes "i don't want to throw up" in the most piteous voice before emptying his stomach. fortunately ive been able to get him to the puke bucket all but one time... and also he hasn't had much of an appetite today so the cleanup has been mostly liquid.

anyway ive been trying to keep him hydrated and so far the two signs ive been trying to watch are dry lips/mouth and skin elasticity, everything seems fine there. anything else i should be paying attention to? no fever here weirdly enough.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Sounds like the norovirus that rolled through our area. 24 hours (ish) of stomach hell for kids then everything fine like sunshine and popsicles. Now, us adults got it 48+hrs later and it was couple of days of personal hell. Only thing to do is keep hydrated, pedalyte(? - that vitamin mix for water) if it's really bad.

Good luck!

Edit: pedialyte

unknown fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 24, 2023

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
So our 3.5 month old has started squealing like a stuck pig, or maybe a banshee… is this the new state of things? Giving me and my wife massive headaches. She does it when she is happy, angry, wants attention, doesn’t want attention, just always

Please tell me she will go back to a scream instead, it’s much less piercing…

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Sweeper posted:

So our 3.5 month old has started squealing like a stuck pig, or maybe a banshee… is this the new state of things? Giving me and my wife massive headaches. She does it when she is happy, angry, wants attention, doesn’t want attention, just always

Please tell me she will go back to a scream instead, it’s much less piercing…

It's a phase. She's excited she can do something new. She'll find something new and exciting to do soon. Hopefully something much quieter!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My daughter loves to scream. And my son loves to copy her. And she loves that he copies her.

Sometimes it's just stereo screaming and it blots out everything; even the thoughts of the grave, which I never thought could happen!

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I have a hard time focusing when my kid is yelling. Wife can manage, I just can't.

Sadly, story time: my parents drove up to visit from the deep south (Florida), and brought covid with them. Literally 3 years we've managed to almost avoid it completely with isolation but 2 nights with my parents (thanks autocorrect for suggestions of the word sperm instead of parents), and voila. :barf: . He got my brother and their family covid as well.

I had it once last year and got lucky as it wasn't too bad for me, wife is getting hit like a truck and the kid barely has a cough/she is in complete denial.

The hosed up part was my dad telling me he has allergies when he obviously had some serious covid, then denying any possibility, then testing later and him and my mom showing positive results immediately.

They've always been people who don't give a poo poo about spreading diseases so this is just icing on the cake as this was the same reason we haven't seen them in 3 years - they did the same goddamn thing pre-covid and got everyone at my daughter's 5th birthday sick with some horrible flu. Don't think I'll be seeing them again in this lifetime.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
My son decided to do some climbing last night 5 minutes before bedtime and, well, we ended up in the ER because he fractured his wrist. What a great cap to the weekend. At least it wasn't a greenstick break or something. gently caress

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Ugh, sorry to hear that. I fractured my femur at age 2 and a half, and I can't wait for my kid to outdo me.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Olanphonia posted:

My son decided to do some climbing last night 5 minutes before bedtime and, well, we ended up in the ER because he fractured his wrist. What a great cap to the weekend. At least it wasn't a greenstick break or something. gently caress

I've always kind of wondered, when this poo poo happens to do they get really upset or really withdrawn? I've gotten to the point where the more they cry and moan the less serious I consider the injury, but if they just look frightened and like they want to lay down that's when I spring into action. Kids!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

son seems 100% better today, yay. we're still not sending him to daycare today in case he's still contagious (and also their policy is you need to be 24 hours symptom free) but he should be good to go tomorrow.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Welp we put our twins in underwear for the first time this weekend and as expected there were a bunch of accidents. They did a little better yesterday but not much. It was a tough weekend because my wife was supposed to be around but she had to deal with something yesterday so I was by myself changing clothes and wiping up accidents all day.

Sent them to daycare today in underwear and let the teachers know we wanted them in underwear all day to keep things consistent. Apparently a couple other kids in the class are transitioning to underwear now too. Fingers crossed they make good progress this week!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

lobster shirt posted:

son seems 100% better today, yay. we're still not sending him to daycare today in case he's still contagious (and also their policy is you need to be 24 hours symptom free) but he should be good to go tomorrow.

Honestly 24h seems a bit on the short side. The policy is 48 hours here. Anyway, best of luck! Hope you didn't catch it.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
Within a six hour span on Saturday, my 2yo:

1) While I went to the kitchen to refill water bottles, he took off his undies, went to the bathroom, pooped in his potty, emptied it into the toilet, and flushed it. I heard the flush from the kitchen and deduced from the streak of poop left in the potty what had happened. He also pointed and said "bye caca", so wow.

2) While I was in the room with him, went into a corner, popped a squat and pooped himself while looking me in the eye and denying it.

What a rollercoaster.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I just read Oh Crap over the weekend and we are going to get serious about potty training here as well. Also I started crying reading the book because I felt so guilty we didn’t try harder earlier. I kept thinking my son was too young but nope, should have started when he turned 2 apparently.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

remigious posted:

I just read Oh Crap over the weekend and we are going to get serious about potty training here as well. Also I started crying reading the book because I felt so guilty we didn’t try harder earlier. I kept thinking my son was too young but nope, should have started when he turned 2 apparently.

We felt guilty starting later but we talked to a bunch of the parents at daycare and many of them are just like us starting their kids much later than 2. Our twins just turned 3 and only recently had they been expressing interest in the potty. It took us another ~2 months after that before we gave it a serious go over the weekend because life kept getting in the way.

Of course on the other end of the spectrum I have a friend who did elimination communication and their kid was fully potty trained by like 18 months or whatever.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 24, 2023

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

remigious posted:

Oh man, please don't feel guilty, I tried pretty hard to potty train when my kid turned 2 but she just really wasn't ready until over 3.5. We didn't have pressure from a daycare or activities because I stay home with her to be fair, and I'm sure if I stuck with it we may have made progress but it was just so much emotional strife trying to get her to use the potty and she just really didn't want to, so we went back to diapers. When she was ready it went super quickly and she was older so it was a lot easier to communicate with her about it.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

marchantia posted:

Oh man, please don't feel guilty, I tried pretty hard to potty train when my kid turned 2 but she just really wasn't ready until over 3.5. We didn't have pressure from a daycare or activities because I stay home with her to be fair, and I'm sure if I stuck with it we may have made progress but it was just so much emotional strife trying to get her to use the potty and she just really didn't want to, so we went back to diapers. When she was ready it went super quickly and she was older so it was a lot easier to communicate with her about it.

That is good to hear, glad it worked out for you when your little one was ready. The Oh Crap book warns repeatedly that it is harder to potty train after the child is three so I got scared.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I found the methods discussed in Oh Crap to be excellent, but the attitude of the author to be insufferable.

I think her experience as a for-hire consultant where she was only seeing a certain type of parent and child colored her overall approach and tone.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I tried the naked weekend approach Friday/Saturday, but little dude was kind of feeling under the weather and distracted. He’s 2.5.

We got two pees in the potty, two pees on the floor. I never really saw that lightbulb moment of “oh this is what peeing feels like” so I think the next step is having him wear underpants so he figures it out when they get all warm and wet.

At least now he’s talking about it a lot, he understands all the terms, he asks to sit on the potty, so we did something. Kind of feels like those charity campaigns about horrible diseases where they’re like “oh we can’t cure it, we’re just spreading awareness”.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Shifty Pony posted:

I found the methods discussed in Oh Crap to be excellent, but the attitude of the author to be insufferable.

This. Solid advice in the book, but a horrible tone. I think it's pretty obvious she's trying to sell her services to parents by fear-mongering to them that they are starting "too late."

We did my daughter at 3.5 and our son at 2.5 following the Oh Crap methods in a much more relaxed manner, and they both did equally fine. Introduction to the toilet, consistency, and encouragement are the most important things (along with maintaining your sanity).

Though, I will be honest and say that potty training is still probably my least favorite part of parenting so far, and it's many years behind us now.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 24, 2023

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Brawnfire posted:

I've always kind of wondered, when this poo poo happens to do they get really upset or really withdrawn? I've gotten to the point where the more they cry and moan the less serious I consider the injury, but if they just look frightened and like they want to lay down that's when I spring into action. Kids!

He's 2.5 and we knew it was an issue when he was still crying and cradling his arm after 20 minutes of trying to soothe him.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
From my one experience so far I don’t understand how “potty training” always bundles poop and pee together. Our daughter was potty trained late-ish around 3 years (after a failed half assed attempt 6 months earlier) and figured out pee in less than a week. It was seriously no sweat, maybe 2-3 accidents total. She is still pooping in a diaper 5 months later and holds it every day during daycare. I don’t understand when it will click for her.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

potty training seems to come and go in waves for us. 3 y/o has been a trooper with it and 90% of the time will take himself to use the toilet. But then there's those special times when he'll be out playing on his scooter, casually hop off and put his hands on his hips and poo poo himself without a care in the world.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
I tried the Oh Crap method at 18 months with minimal success. My husband and I both took a full week off work, watched our son like a hawk, etc. Finally I turned to a FB group where people were still struggling through the steps after 3-4 months. I gave up and left my son alone.

At 3.5 my preschool told me he didn’t need diapers anymore. We followed their lead and stopped using them at home too. There were a couple of accidents, and then he was fully trained, with zero effort on our part.

I felt so bad for the people in the FB group. Since the success cases tend to leave you’re left with people literally putting their lives on hold for months at a time, all encouraging each other not to give up due to the fear-mongering in that book.

Most kids are potty-trained by age 4. Starting early with intensive methods works for some, but for others it just draws out the process or leads to constipation when the kid gets older and gets more autonomous / stubborn about bodily functions. There’s no magic solution that will work for everyone, any more than there is in any other part of parenting.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Olanphonia posted:

He's 2.5 and we knew it was an issue when he was still crying and cradling his arm after 20 minutes of trying to soothe him.

:smith:

Poor guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

nachos posted:

From my one experience so far I don’t understand how “potty training” always bundles poop and pee together. Our daughter was potty trained late-ish around 3 years (after a failed half assed attempt 6 months earlier) and figured out pee in less than a week. It was seriously no sweat, maybe 2-3 accidents total. She is still pooping in a diaper 5 months later and holds it every day during daycare. I don’t understand when it will click for her.

oh hey we're in the same boat

My kid was withholding his poop since 18 months. We had 2 years of him struggling to poop and having every poop be a battle. He potty trained his pee in a matter of days, but months later he was still pooping in pull ups. What ended up "working" for us was just going cold turkey. No more pull ups, no more diapers, and we threw him on the potty at the first sign of needing to poop. It's slowly improving and we're making incremental steps, but he's 4 and change now and still battling. He'll sit on the potty for a half hour yelling and screaming, trying to stop it, only for a tiny nugget to come out. He knows how to push, I've seen him do it, he just doesn't want to.