Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Idk anything about the law: hypothetically (actually hypothetically, this isn’t a true story I’m cloaking) let’s say I find a box of unreleased Magic cards on the side of the road, if I post pictures of the cards online does WotC have any sort of legal precedent for a civil suit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
probably not if that's what actually happened but someone's probably going to both want to take those cards back and also investigate what happened to get them to literally and figuratively fall off the back of a truck

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So, has there been a police complaint filed or local news article about this?

This sounds so outside of actual reality for a CHILDREN'S CARD GAME.

Also that guy needs to get a good lawyer immediately, file a suit against WOTC, and against the Pinkertons.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 24, 2023

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
what exactly are the police going to do, dude, lol

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sending professional killers after a customer for getting an early product is such an atrocious and hosed up response that I'm never giving Hasbro another cent and I encourage the rest of you to do the same.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
In other news, new secret lairs and some of the sets slap.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Jiro posted:

Also that guy needs to get a good lawyer immediately, file a suit against WOTC, and against the Pinkertons.

He wont win that one

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Jiro posted:

I’m seeing sites reporting on it and they all say it was the Pinkertons but afaict the primary source is still the first video. I wouldn’t be surprised (at least, any more surprised than I am at finding out the Pinkertons are still around lol) if it was them, but it does seem kind of low rent for them. Going from clubbing striking miners to death and fire bombing low income housing to shaking down some guy for spoiling a set a few weeks early is a big drop in Evil Prestige.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

Sending professional killers after a customer for getting an early product is such an atrocious and hosed up response that I'm never giving Hasbro another cent and I encourage the rest of you to do the same.

MasterBuilder posted:

lol

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

MasterBuilder posted:

Muddle the Mixture reprint lfg!!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

fadam posted:

Idk anything about the law: hypothetically (actually hypothetically, this isn’t a true story I’m cloaking) let’s say I find a box of unreleased Magic cards on the side of the road, if I post pictures of the cards online does WotC have any sort of legal precedent for a civil suit?

A company has the right to investigate situations they see as theft. Saying that, you don't have to prove that you found anything on the side of the road (although it might help). If the product was a result of theft, you may have to give it back. Making videos or releasing pictures of the product however are not protected and would usually follow the normal flow of threats and litigation.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

This is a terrible invasion of personal rights, but the good slop is flowing baby get me to that trough

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I'm a bit late but can y'all cool it on the slap fighting? If you can't argue points without attacking the person involved, it's just lovely posting about posters which doesn't amount to any worthwhile discussion.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

fadam posted:

I’m seeing sites reporting on it and they all say it was the Pinkertons but afaict the primary source is still the first video. I wouldn’t be surprised (at least, any more surprised than I am at finding out the Pinkertons are still around lol) if it was them, but it does seem kind of low rent for them. Going from clubbing striking miners to death and fire bombing low income housing to shaking down some guy for spoiling a set a few weeks early is a big drop in Evil Prestige.

They're mercenaries, they'll do whatever the client wants them to do if they're already on contract with them or if the payment is good. This violates so many rights it's mind boggling.

For those asking why a police complaint, why the gently caress not at least the pigs are supposedly accountable by law, having some armed security force show up say who they are and want to come into your own home no warrant, no nothing, probably armed holding a piece of paper from a corporation saying they want their cardboard back because some dealer hosed up?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Jiro posted:

They're mercenaries, they'll do whatever the client wants them to do if they're already on contract with them or if the payment is good. This violates so many rights it's mind boggling.

For those asking why a police complaint, why the gently caress not at least the pigs are supposedly accountable by law, having some armed security force show up say who they are and want to come into your own home no warrant, no nothing, probably armed holding a piece of paper from a corporation saying they want their cardboard back because some dealer hosed up?

I guess what I’m wondering is: from WotC’s perspective what value do you get from hiring a super evil, probably super expensive organization over just getting a process server or a smaller security firm or something? It seems like such a huge blunder for very little upside.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

fadam posted:

I guess what I’m wondering is: from WotC’s perspective what value do you get from hiring a super evil, probably super expensive organization over just getting a process server or a smaller security firm or something? It seems like such a huge blunder for very little upside.

The value they get is that if the security firm you hire can do every part of the investigation from start to finish, you don't have to engage multiple company's/services. WOTC using a company with that kind of terrible history to run a heavy handed investigation against a customer is insane PR, but isn't WOTC king of bad PR?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Sickening posted:

The value they get is that if the security firm you hire can do every part of the investigation from start to finish, you don't have to engage multiple company's/services. WOTC using a company with that kind of terrible history to run a heavy handed investigation against a customer is insane PR, but isn't WOTC king of bad PR?

They definitely are, lol. I guess we’ll see. I’ll be shocked if it ends up being the Pinkertons and someone doesn’t get fired.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

the guy who found the iphone 4 before it was released ended up paying $125, did 40 hours of community service, 1 year informal probation for selling the phone for $5K to gizmodo. this was after he took the phone home but didn't realize what he had. so he literally stole something and that was the extent of his punishment.

this dude leaked info from a product that was given to him and while what he did was obviously going to get punished.. being raided by private mercs is way extreme even for hasbro/wotc. i mean it seems like a bad look!

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

its a pretend elf card game jesus christ, gently caress CEOs gently caress capital gently caress america

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Very bold move by wotc to publicly execute oldschoolmtg in the Seattle public square, but that’s just the world we live in I guess.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Jiro posted:

While I agree that he should lawyer up just on general principle the fact that he did a leak video will muddle up things a bit. Hasbro could easily countersue for damages to their brand, IP, etc over the leak and while it would likely get eventually dismissed or settled they could drag it out for a while just to slam the guy with billable hours and court fees.

Depending on the specifics of how things went down when the Pinkertons showed up he might have a case there in terms of some sort of rights violation or malfeasance on the goons part (i.e. misrepresenting themselves, claiming to have a warrant, etc).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jabor posted:

The Pinkerton's big claim to fame is acting as literal mercenaries gunning down union leaders and strike participants.

Yes and Coca-Cola used to have cocaine in it

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

precision posted:

Yes and Coca-Cola used to have cocaine in it

I'm sorry. Why did you post this?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't know, I just think it's a bit funny that everyone is suddenly an expert on the pinkertons

Please continue being completely predictable, internet

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

precision posted:

I don't know, I just think it's a bit funny that everyone is suddenly an expert on the pinkertons

Shut the gently caress up, idiot

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

precision posted:

They left their impression on history op.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah it's funny how people can just look up stuff to educate themselves on the topic being discussed when it's relevant instead of posting tired glib cynical nonsense. The "heh, you knew the world sucks so gently caress you" attitude is really loving tedious.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Pinkerton as part of Securitas is still very much in the union busting biz, they just do it with fewer bullets and more worker surveillance/intimidation these days.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
i'm going to laugh if it turns out some guy at Amazon or whatever just grabbed the product from the march of the machines AFTERMATH stack instead of the regular march of the machines stack because it's 4:30pm and he's been at work for 11 and a half hours and he just wants to go home and drink beer and watch wrestling or something.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Also pee

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Arivia posted:

i'm going to laugh if it turns out some guy at Amazon or whatever just grabbed the product from the march of the machines AFTERMATH stack instead of the regular march of the machines stack because it's 4:30pm and he's been at work for 11 and a half hours and he just wants to go home and drink beer and watch wrestling or something.

Who could possibly mix these two products up?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cactrot posted:

Who could possibly mix these two products up?

Have you ever worked retail? They both say March of the Machine on them, mixing up products like that is extremely common. Hell you’ve probably grabbed the wrong Pepsi variety or whatever from the fridge yourself as a customer a couple times.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Arivia posted:

Have you ever worked retail? They both say March of the Machine on them, mixing up products like that is extremely common. Hell you’ve probably grabbed the wrong Pepsi variety or whatever from the fridge yourself as a customer a couple times.

I know sarcasm is hard to grasp in posts but come on

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Arivia posted:

I think you missed the sarcasm op.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Arivia posted:

I have never grabbed a pepsi and I never will

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
WotC could've avoided all this bad publicity by using other armed guards to threaten a guy and make his wife cry over cardboard rectangles smh

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Cactrot posted:

Pinkerton as part of Securitas is still very much in the union busting biz, they just do it with fewer bullets and more worker surveillance/intimidation these days.

They murdered a protestor a few months back so they're definitely still in the bullet business, it just hasn't been very applicable recently.

I suspect that'll be changing over the next few years.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/BasicMountain/status/1650569554970693665?s=20
Lol WOTC is blackballing psully from coverage? JFC this company sucks.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
also, the pinkertons are still a thing?