Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

HonorableTB posted:

The number of times Lowtax hosed up an opportunity served to him on a silver platter is as numerous as the number of goldbelly cookies purchased with the lowtax spine fund
I dunno, I think maybe not taking the CondeNast money and loving off was the right thing for the community that exists today, but on the other hand I'm not sure that was a decision Lowtax made, as much as it was just him continually loving up.

Lima posted:

And the Zero Punctuation dude before the LPs took off. If I recall the goonlore correctly they had some talks about him hosting his show through SA?
I believe Yatzee was in talks with Lowtax, yes.
Same thing with Ashens.

Both were underbid because Lowtax was a cheapskate about everything but his own luxuries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

FuturePastNow posted:

imagine how much back

Not much

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

tradgames seems fine in the smaller threads but yeah, lots of popular threads have overwhelming "dumpy greybeard lecturing you about 4e" vibes from a few select weirdos.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
it's a lot of "4e good... 5e very bad..." and then everyone nods and goes hmm yes

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

I assume it's trad games, they're a little wound up

The MTG threads are particularly vitrolic, probably because of how aggressively Magic: The Gathering has converted into more and more nakedly greedy gacha whale hunting poo poo because they're the uncontested biggest card game and have been for the past ~30 years. It means there's a lot of historical attachment to the game as it gets more and more horribly corporate, and the game itself is hampered by less care being put into designing playable new card sets. So it's kind of similar to the boiling over of tension in, say, Blizzard games, where people like the old games, and kind of try out the new stuff but the products coming out are increasingly shittier.

pentyne posted:

Not sure about that, but TG forums mod and "star" podima was apparently running the place unquestioned and the whole "extremely weird issues of consent" thing was basically his bread and butter style of running discord roleplays. Also how the roleplay discord/mafia post games lead to people getting so emotionally invested and attached to it the subculture very easily turns toxic and harmful when someone abuses their role.

One of major intrusive thoughts from that whole SAD thread was the accusation that Bees was "harvesting private communications" in the sense they invited other people to a 2nd discord and went "yo, this is loving weird, am I the only one getting this from the DMs?" in the Riven The Sequel to Myst fanfiction roleplay clockwork clones rape story

Podmia did not "run the place." He was a prominent person in the Mafia games, which most of the TG community doesn't play, as far as I know. The TG subforum has like 4 or 5 major groups that barely intersect. Like I honestly don't even know what Mafia is. I think it's like the Werewolf/murder mystery forum games people played, but there's probably some particulars I'm missing.

That Mafia drama sounded like it was a contingent of Mafia players accidentally stumbling from short-burst Mafia games where secrecy is part of what keeps the mystery element of the game going, and then tumbling rear end first into a hyper-abusive always-online LARP-type thing. I'd like to think people more on the TTRPG side would've spotted how sus that all is from years of direct experience, but it sounds like this was a particularly insular buildup of problems.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yeah I stopped posting in the MTG thread because it was a very unpleasant place to hang out

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

MTG ftw but MTG people ftl

rox
Sep 7, 2016

is there a magic thread in iz? feel like that would be a lot more chill

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
all the iz threads are magic

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Cuttlefush posted:

all the iz threads are magic

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
i played magic for years but eventually the slow grind of psychic damage from lands wore me down

drawing too many, drawing not enough, lands being boring but being hundreds of dollars added up over a deck and absolutely required to play competitive

glad I still vaguely kept up with the news of the game though because wizards completely failing at everything except the actual game design has provided a lot of laughs over the years

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I came across this again recently

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

iz is where all the magic gathers

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

haha what posted:

There's a tabletop thread, at least. I'm thinking about maybe doing mini impressions/writeups of games I've been reading lately there but I'm not sure it's the sort of thing people would be interested in (much less academically rigorous than a F&F entry, and also I find that thread a little overwhelming at times).

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

haha what posted:

there was for MTG:A for a while but it died

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Spanish Manlove posted:

I hope it's not illegal helldumping to say 'i don't enjoy subforum' in the most vague way possible. Please Mr. Pinkerton agent I have a family

lmao

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

TG has a handful of extremely tedious holier-than-thou types that shout out everyone who disagrees with them with varying degrees depending on the exact thread topic. Liking the wrong board games or D&D edition will get you turned into a pariah.

The magic thread is one of the least hostile threads there but it still has its problems.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I play 5th edition sometimes :sicko:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What are the wrong tabletop games to enjoy? Like, Fortnite Monopoly?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Paladinus posted:

Kingdom Death: Monster is explicitly banned for any kind of discussion. At all.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Paladinus posted:

ones made by cancelled people, i think

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Paladinus posted:

Settlers of Catan :twisted:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

steinrokkan posted:

Imo it's impressive that somebody who was already a working adult in 1914 is still posting here

pinkerton is still around in the corporate security space lol

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Heath posted:

Is it because the creator is a sex criminal or unbalanced game mechanics?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Paladinus posted:

The creators made a bunch of titty figurines as Kickstarter rewards

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Paladinus posted:

neither, the game has some really edgy lore/figures iirc

but like, warhammer does too so i dont really get it

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

skeleton warrior posted:

Speedrunning walking simulators, nice

usually we call that “running”

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
lol whoever made that has the last name Poots

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

the sex ghost posted:

Pinkertons stopping the James gang from lifting a stagecoach full of trading cards

more like Pinkertons murdering a workshop full of gatcha graphic designers for asking for a bathroom break.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
tg had a guy that was so incapable of understanding how someone could have fun playing a ttrpg because he exclusively played with insane people. it got so bad that it took over any topic whenever he would show up so people made a discord for the purpose of running games with him to try to fix him. anyways he was later banned from the discord people made for him because he scraped the server logs to build a graph of which posters got the most engagement on their posts in order to prove some sort of Point. also the server admin stepped down because they kept getting really drunk and posting insanely aggro poo poo at people at like 3am.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Heath posted:

It's not banned from discussion. There's some divisive feelings around it that lead to toxic discussions in the main board game thread, but nobody is stopping anyone from making a thread for it. This got discussed in a lot of detail in the TG feedback thread.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Farg posted:

tg had a guy that was so incapable of understanding how someone could have fun playing a ttrpg because he exclusively played with insane people. it got so bad that it took over any topic whenever he would show up so people made a discord for the purpose of running games with him to try to fix him.

He still does this.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Farg posted:

tg had a guy that was so incapable of understanding how someone could have fun playing a ttrpg because he exclusively played with insane people. it got so bad that it took over any topic whenever he would show up so people made a discord for the purpose of running games with him to try to fix him. anyways he was later banned from the discord people made for him because he scraped the server logs to build a graph of which posters got the most engagement on their posts in order to prove some sort of Point. also the server admin stepped down because they kept getting really drunk and posting insanely aggro poo poo at people at like 3am.
what is with these forums and turning fixing some random insane guy into a community project instead of just banning him

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

I play 5th edition sometimes :sicko:

can't believe the corrupt mods refuse to ban this littoral nazi

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

im shore they have their reasons

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Endorph posted:

what is with these forums and turning fixing some random insane guy into a community project instead of just banning him

it's always been a problem but it got made even more common during the "we can't ban people because rereg money will go to a wifebeater" era, which a lot of mods/admins still seem to think we live in

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

well now its "we cant ban anyone because rereg money will buy jeffrey an even softer mattress and we'll never see hiim again"

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Endorph posted:

this guy was pretty fun, it was sorta like those videos that are gibberish but are meant to sound like english, except with like logic and stuff. also the creepy thing was offsite so you cant import that drama baby

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I like the game Scythe a lot even if one of the people in my usual bg group has basically found out the most ideal way of playing every single character / board combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

He still does this.

awesome which admin is he?