Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
So the KT announcement this weekend has to be a new box/season, right? Or is it going to be an annual book or something ancillary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In warhammer fantasy battles 8th (the only edition I ever played), you removed casualties from the back of the unit, but once you were down to the first rank, the unit would start getting narrower as well. Facing and frontage and even the depth remaining matters for e.g. flank charges, cases where one unit is in base contact with two across one frontage, etc.

That doesn't mean you couldn't do it with smaller minis that don't come off the movement tray, but you might need to come up with some house rules to handle the more complex situations.

IMO the better option is to just play Warmaster, which is for 10mm play anyway.

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014
I think there's a convincing argument to be made that Warmaster: Revolution is a much better game than WHFB 8th edition anyway, for what its worth!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

So the KT announcement this weekend has to be a new box/season, right? Or is it going to be an annual book or something ancillary?

That's the thought, rumor going around is new season tying into the Tyranid invasion story of 10th edition with a Catachan vs. Tyranid jungle box but that could just be wishful thinking.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I hope they do that but don't update the Catachans.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I hope they do that but don't update the Catachans.

they seem like a KT shoo-in after it gets off the gallowdark

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If you had to play WHFB with Warmaster minis, you could use rectangles drawn on a sheet of graph paper to represent the actual strength of your units.

Then you X out each guy as they're killed, like battletech. Use one 40x10mm base for every 10(?) remaining models, and make sure it's clear which base corresponds to which "hit location" on your sheet.

It's not ideal but it should work better than tokens or dice.

(If it were me, I'd just play Warmaster.)

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

EdsTeioh posted:

Necromunda questions: is Ash Wastes the most recent rulebook?

Yeah, Ash Wastes is the last big edition update. I think there's been a book or two since then for the Goliath and Escher vehicles, and whatever else was in there, but Ash Wastes is still the most recent rulebook expansion

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

For me 25mm is Lord of the Rings only. Mass battles are Warmaster.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
I think the gallowdark season of KT is done now right? There was the into the dark starter pack, and the 2 expansions soulshackle and gallowfall, matching previous pattern.

So next will be a new starter box, and nids and catachan make sense as 2 teams with all new sprues. And nids still are without a bespoke team... a sprue of those Von Ryan leapers and a lictor leader vs space Schwarzeneggers

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Well the Gallowdark still has to Gallowfall into that planet it's about to hit, but whether or not that is the season finale or the transition into the new one hasn't been revealed yet.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
There were 2 expansions and then Gallowfall is about to come out but yeah, that is the pattern so the new "season" will be starting in a few months. I'm hoping for new Genestealers personally, the fact they went a whole season on a Space Hulk and didn't do them seems mad but just regular Tyranids would be fine too I guess.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

rantmo posted:

Well the Gallowdark still has to Gallowfall into that planet it's about to hit, but whether or not that is the season finale or the transition into the new one hasn't been revealed yet.

I would assume Gallowfall is the last box of the current season. I do wonder if they'll continue to storyline or move the focus somewhere else like they did with the first few boxes

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Kind of impressed at how well Underworlds has doldiered on. So many kits that also work in other GW games. Christ there's a mordheim witch hunter warband

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
Totally baffling that, with a kill team season being set on a Space Hulk, in a time when both new Terminators and new Genestealer models are being released in short order, James did not create a kill team package involving a battle between terminators and genestealers on a space hulk.

Maybe that showdown it ends up as some sort of 10ed Boarding Actions Boxed Game instead? Maybe themed around some sort of Crusade in Space or something.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Kind of impressed at how well Underworlds has doldiered on. So many kits that also work in other GW games. Christ there's a mordheim witch hunter warband

I've been considering grabbing some Underworlds and Warcry kits just for fun painting/modelling

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Skeleton kit was amazing

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Those dudes are very dope and have not one but two very good dogs.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Professor Shark posted:

The Skeleton kit was amazing

Which?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Ah, well I'd not really thought about Warmaster - my idea was to re-use my historical figures and so I'm not adverse to trying WM but the main driver is to scratch the nostalgia itch for WHFB 4th/5th Edition specifically, rather than to play a 'good' game system.

Is WHFB enjoyable with smaller scale games (750-1250pts) or is it going to end up monotonous? honestly my primary interest is Historicals but I think just about the only way I can get my usual opponent to play against me is with elves and orks duking it out...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

At smaller point values, there was a Warhammer Skirmish rules set for (I think) 5th edition that was largely based on Mordheim. It's focused on individually-based figures so it wouldn't be great for multi-based miniatures, though.

If you're dead-set on WHFB this isn't really helpful, but: Warmaster also has historical army lists ranging from ancient through medieval.

They're long OOP but the :filez: are out there and ethically fall under abandonware for most people. They might not be completely balanced against the Warmaster Revolutions forces, but WMR is largely based on Warmaster Ancients which was essentially the revised edition of Warmaster.

So you could play your historical armies against your friends' elves, orcs, dwarves or whoever.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Southern Heel posted:

Ah, well I'd not really thought about Warmaster - my idea was to re-use my historical figures and so I'm not adverse to trying WM but the main driver is to scratch the nostalgia itch for WHFB 4th/5th Edition specifically, rather than to play a 'good' game system.

Is WHFB enjoyable with smaller scale games (750-1250pts) or is it going to end up monotonous? honestly my primary interest is Historicals but I think just about the only way I can get my usual opponent to play against me is with elves and orks duking it out...

How well WHFB works at small scale depends alot on the edition and factions involved. 6th edition had a warbands version of the game that let you take very small units. I always thought it looked fun but never tried it. The rules are still out there somewhere

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

EdsTeioh posted:

Necromunda questions: is Ash Wastes the most recent rulebook?
Yeeeeesss? Kind of. Ash Wastes is a weird mishmash of the Core Rulebook and Outlanders, and I'm not 100% sure it has everything. That being said, like Desforce said, it should be comprehensive enough for you to use. Also as stated, it is missing the rest of the content from the Outlanders book, so if you plan on picking that up, you may just want to get the core rulebook instead of Ash Wastes. NM has too many books with content spread out too thinly and it's difficult to recommend what a newer player should buy.

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014
Really wish that GW expanded on Araby more instead of redesigning Kislev and creating Cathay. Especially with the focus being put on Tomb Kings in The Old World, I think there would be plenty of room to expand into Araby as occasional foes against various Tomb Kings and auxiliaries for others against the crusading Brets.

The Warmaster Arabyan spearmen are probably the best designed "evil arabs" fantasy unit I've ever seen. I know that with modern resources, GW could do a bang-up job at making them appealing and nuanced if they really wanted to.

Paranoid Dude fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 25, 2023

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I've got a few Necromunda questions as well,

Can escaped Ogryn take a pet Ambot? Should they or is that unfun?

Are the Outcasts how they updated / reskinned Ratskins and Scavvy gangs? I'd like to use my old models but pipe muskets and crossbows don't seem to be the new Necromunda vibe.

How necessary are the House of... books if I've got the first run Gang War supplements?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

moths posted:

I can't answer this one.

moths posted:

Are the Outcasts how they updated / reskinned Ratskins and Scavvy gangs? I'd like to use my old models but pipe muskets and crossbows don't seem to be the new Necromunda vibe.
No. The Ash Wastes Nomads were a thing on the tail end of OG Necromunda, but the Ratskins and Scavvys are not in the new edition. Ratskins will be a tough reboot, as they would have to get rid of the obvious stereotypes. Also, from what Peachy said, there was a concerted effort at GW to remove any and all Wild West tropes from the game, so Native American analogue-tropes are going to be a no-go. They appeared in some of the early NM17 fiction, but they may not be a thing anymore. Crossbows are now Cawdor weapons, and muskets are Nomads.

moths posted:

How necessary are the House of... books if I've got the first run Gang War supplements?
If playing with friends, the Gang War books are fine, as long as everyone agrees to use them. If outside a group, then the House of books are pretty much required, as they are the current "codex" for your gang, especially if you want to use any of the newer stuff / gang types (Van Saar rigs, Escher death maidens, Orlock wreckers, and, of course, vehicles in Ash Wastes.)

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Southern Heel posted:

Low-level WHFB is going to be a lot more swingy and things like High Elf Archers and Empire Handgunners/Crossbows are going to be way more potent than in bigger games. Both due to unit sizes being smaller, so Leadership tests will be more likely to break units off of like 3-5 casualties. A bigger unit in a bigger game would just be all 'never did like them anyway...' and just continue on its way to smash face.

I could see Reaver Knights/Dark Riders/Wolf Riders being an absolute terror as well, at least unit they gently caress up and are out in the open or in some other bad position.

Depending on how cool people were with it, despite being swingy a short, small-points campaign where people had a a couple weeks to come up with the next thing to get revenge on the other guy with are some of my favorite gaming memories. Nothing like getting shithoused, then having some ridiculous plan to brutalize the other guy next time.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I would absolutely buy the poo poo out of a catachan tyranid kill team box.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

berzerkmonkey posted:

Also, from what Peachy said, there was a concerted effort at GW to remove any and all Wild West tropes from the game, so Native American analogue-tropes are going to be a no-go.

Thanks for this and the other info.

It's a bummer - cowboy Necromunda was a cool vibe. But I can 100% understand why they'd move away from that, and the more cyber punk-esque setting is still a great fit.

I could probably use my old figures as nomads, that seems like a better fit than the Cawdor zealots. Plus rat themed nomads isn't that much of a stretch from bug themed ones.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeeeeesss? Kind of. Ash Wastes is a weird mishmash of the Core Rulebook and Outlanders, and I'm not 100% sure it has everything. That being said, like Desforce said, it should be comprehensive enough for you to use. Also as stated, it is missing the rest of the content from the Outlanders book, so if you plan on picking that up, you may just want to get the core rulebook instead of Ash Wastes. NM has too many books with content spread out too thinly and it's difficult to recommend what a newer player should buy.

nah, I already have Ash Wastes but for some reason I never bought the actual hardback rulebook. So I have: Original N17 rulebook, Dark Uprising, and Ash Wastes. For some reason, I thought that the Underhive Wars box had a more updated rulebook than even the current hardback, but wasn't sure how AW fit into all of that. If it's the newest printed one, then I think I'm good with it as I'm not really "new" as much as I'm "played on launch, stopped, picked up again, stopped, and now my friend's doing a cool NM podcast and I'm all jacked to play it again and use some of this 47 pounds of terrain I own."

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Al-Saqr posted:

I would absolutely buy the poo poo out of a catachan tyranid kill team box.

Yes

Semi relevant to this thread, where do you folks sell off WH stuff? I have an assortment of 40k, KT, and 30k boxes I bought with the intention of painting but never got around to and need to offload now.

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Semi relevant to this thread, where do you folks sell off WH stuff? I have an assortment of 40k, KT, and 30k boxes I bought with the intention of painting but never got around to and need to offload now.

eBay is probably your best friend, especially if any boxes are unopened. You can check out similar, fair prices for things or undercut things off of amazon by a bit and get stuff sold pretty fast.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've sold GW stuff on SA-Mart.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
ebay will get you the widest market, but they take a huge cut - after fees and shipping, you'll be sitting at 70 - 75% of your final value total. Miniswap on Reddit will allow you to retain a bit more of that money, but it's a much smaller audience and you're stuff may not move.

Go with Leperflesh's suggestion and try SA Mart first. You might luck out and sell your stuff and not have to deal with ebay and Reddit.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Yeah, 100% post on SA Mart; I've gotten some cool stuff from there in the past and I'm sure everyone in this, the 40k, and AoS thread would be interested in at least seeing it. If you're on the hellscape that is Facebook, there are a few decent GW buy/sell/trade groups on there as well.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Bottom Liner posted:

Yes

Warpfire in ocala will buy them off you but they'll only offer store credit in return. Otherwise, yeah the other suggestions in the thread

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If you do post game stuff on SA-Mart, the longstanding tradition is it's fine to make a post and cross-link your sale thread in TG threads that are relevant, as long as you don't spam over and over and check back in the thread to see if anyone replies to you with questions or something.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Bottom Liner posted:

Yes

If you have a lot to sell, break it up a few ways. You'll get 1099's this year if you sell more than $600 through a particular outlet. If you get a 1099 you are put in an awkward situation where you have to decide how much is taxable income

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

moths posted:

I've got a few Necromunda questions as well,

Yes. You can also use the outlaw brutes from WD458, too.

Brutes in slave ogryns are fundamentally the same sort of threat as the rest of your gang: big bulletsoaks that amble towards melee and pull apart punier gangers once they get there. You're mainly looking at what they can do that your ogryns can't, and four of them stand out.

The regular old Ambot comes with Infiltrate out of the box. That will generally make it a priority target, since you're wasting that if you wait for your ogryns to catch up, but it can be a good way to establish early pressure or keep your opponent from spreading out or rushing to an obnoxious sniper perch. Take the armor on it, the fist is a taste thing.

The corrupted Ambot gets Nerves of Steel instead of Infiltrate and some slightly more offensively-oriented stats, but all of its weapons are reckless. It's less like one of your regular ogryns and more like a lobo-slave that gets XP but doesn't play nicely with others. I find it's actually a pain in the rear end to use, since it's not that fast, you can't have it too near your ogryns, and it can't choose what target to attack, but the extra offense really feels nice against heavily optimized gangs. The regular Ambot can just take NOS, though. YMMV. Get the armor again, and the fist is a bit more useful since you'll want have more situations where you want to stay back out of melee and shoot.

The warp horror requires you to be Chaos-corrupted, which I think is only in Book of Judgement? I've never tried it but it looks absurd. It only has T4 but it's 6" MV, has NOS and the anti-shooting Corpse Grinder mask, can buy a 4" versatile drag melee, and can get damage reduction. However, no armor and it slowly wounds itself in games that run long. It feels like another vanguard or flanker option, like the regular ambot, with defenses that are better targeted against endgame gangs. This is just based on eyeballing, though.

The sump beast is fast with Clamber, has an extra wound over most brutes, and has NOS (with excellent Cl) and Unstoppable. In return, you need to make a sacrifice when you pick one of its multiple statlines: worse WS, worse toughness, or (relatively) worse movement and WS but T6. It also has Cunning skills, unlike all the others, so it can take Evade and Infiltrate later on. You're always taking the legs and scales, and you can just stop there, and have a faster brute with a bit worse offense than an ambot. It does have a bunch of goofy options, though, like toxin for its bite, a 6" versatile impale tail, a 2" versatile grab tongue, or claws for a better melee. The only one that really seems appealing are the claws for more punch, especially if you take the fastest profile, but the 6" tail allows for a meme build with Overwatch. Do be careful: the beast has to coup and has to make a (bad) Int roll to avoid charging in to coup a downed fighter within 6", including friendlies. This isn't quite as bad as the corrupted Ambot, but you'll want to be careful.

Of the options, the regular Ambot or Sump Beast probably bring the most to the table. I'd say it mainly comes down to whether you'd like a weird robot or weird creature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Improbable Lobster posted:

I've been considering grabbing some Underworlds and Warcry kits just for fun painting/modelling

Same, I got the Ogre/monkey band today, should be fun to paint up. If I can convince the missus to have a game as well, all the better